• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Do you plan to watch football in 2020?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I barely watch football after the BS political stuff from before and I’m sure it’s going to get worse. If the NFL is going to push a false narrative at me skipping the 3-4 games I happened to catch last year is no loss to me. I almost bought tickets to Jacksonville in November but have no interest in planning a trip around football EVER again. So honestly, do you have more, the same, or less interest in the NFL for 2020?

Stoney

Reaction score
I won't watch, but I'll likely still follow results and scores. I will never spend another nickel going to a game or even buying NFL merchandise. Thats a decision I made two years ago.

In full disclosure, I did watch parts of 2-3 games last season (a little of a couple Steeler games and Tenn/NE playoff game). But I think it may be easier to avoid doing even that this coming season.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, of course I'll watch. See, there's neat lil' doodad, it's called a "mute button" on my remote control for my tv. I plan on making ample use of it

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Yes. I rarely watch games other than Steelers anyway.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
I have already shut off the tap to the NFL brand, merchandise and related events. I still watched the Stiller games last year but will be watching for the first player on MY team that disrespects the American flag. If that happens, (and I believe it will), I plan to jump ship completely just like I did to baseball many years ago.

I have no respect or confidence in Roger Goodell, I don't like the way the game is morphing into mediocrity and the Steelers joining the new trend of social genuflecting to the detriment of civil discourse and moral propriety is the last straw. If I am to turn the TV on and have my stomach churned before the entertainment even begins, I'm sure I can find plenty of better suited alternatives for my enjoyment.

image.gif

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I will take it game by game. If there is disrespect for the flag,TV immediately goes off. Then the next week we will try it again..
I don't know how it will play out, but that is my compromise.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Several GREAT ideas being displayed here.

I have zero TV options currently so I go to my "redhead's" sports bar that I've been going to for the last 20+ years and treated like a KING. I go for my steelers ONLY and to eat ( I don't drink). I was debating "Game Pass" and still am as it lets you watch a condensed version of the game (about a 30-45min version) with no pre-game or commercials. I may go that route.

Like some here I will NOT let the political agenda dictate to me so I'd QUIT watching as well. I have WAY less interest in the NFL as the game has changed and the players are more MEmeME than ever and NOT so much team oriented as in the past. The sport is being taken out of the sport of football.

Salute the nation

Supersteeler

Reaction score
We'll see how it goes. As other have said I had already stopped watching all non Steeler games the past couple years for the most part. I watched Steeler games with about 50% of the interest I originally had a few years ago.

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
I will give it a chance. First disrespect I will quit watching and I will watch Steeler games only. If our guys do it I will probably stop watching all together. This will be the first year in 17 years that I will not play in my big fantasy league (300$ entry fee). Can’t spend that kinda cash if I’m not watching the games.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's sad that social engineering has to creep into all forms of entertainment. I won't support an actor or singer that feels they have to force their opinions on the public solely because they have the platform to do so.

I'll give football a chance, but honestly I only watch the Steelers anyway. If the game turns into a PC lecture, I'll either turn it off completely or make use of the mute and DVR capabilities of the TV.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I get the money part. The games are incredibly expensive particularly if you have to travel. Sunday Ticket, Game Pass etc. aren't cheap though there are ways to split with a buddy. But this it isnt violent enough or I dont like the politics of this. I just dont get that. If you are here you must at least like football. Wait till kickoff and turn the free games.( depending upon your cable package there are lots of them. )

Muddler

Reaction score
I'll watch most Steeler games that I am around for. I enjoy getting together with a couple of other old Yinzers, having a couple beers and yelling at the TV. Don't watch most other NFL games unless there's a real good one on SNF or MNF. I find I watch more college football than Pro ball anymore. That wasn't always the case. Mostly anymore with all sports I watch teams that I have an emotional attachment to or rooting interest in; Pitt, PSU, Pens, a couple other colleges where my daughters went to school, the Blazers out here in Oregon. Hell, I'll even tune into a Pirate game for awhile in the rare instance they are televised nationally and I stumble upon it.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I watch little. Three reasons why - political nonsense, egos and behaviors of the players, and the rules/favoritism in the league. It's a shell of the great game it was.

Not sure how this season will go for me. I doubt that I will watch too much. I will admit that if we make it to the playoffs I might watch (probably just watch Tomlin get out coached, but whatever).

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Without a doubt I'll watch as much as I ever have. I don't believe protests belong at the workplace and the media coverage is annoying, but let's be clear, they aren't protesting to disrespect the flag. Either way, it won't take away from my enjoyment of the game.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Without a doubt I'll watch as much as I ever have. I don't believe protests belong at the workplace and the media coverage is annoying, but let's be clear, they aren't protesting to disrespect the flag. Either way, it won't take away from my enjoyment of the game.

I agree. I stopped watching the pregame years ago where all the political garbage is talked about ad nauseam. But I didn't stop because of that, I stopped because I do not give a **** about other teams. And they rarely had a piece about the Steelers that interested me. Also, as a rule, I find analysts just don't like this team very much. So I turn on the TV at 1:05 Eastern. If I'm making a food spread, I listen to the Steelers radio network. I got Sirius satellite this year so I'm hoping to sync the radio broadcast with the TV so I do not have to listen to the anti Steeelrs tripe from certain commentators. Like some political fuckstick, I'm not interested in what he says if I know what it will be before he says it.

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
I'll be watching the Steelers if I can find a way to get the game for free. I've done pretty well with that the last couple years.
I can ignore the political horse **** and still enjoy the games.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I liked everyone's responses as everyone is entitled to their opinion on sensitive subjects.

One thing I have to disagree with is the idea that it isn't about the flag. That generalized statement comes across as fact when it is different from one person to another.

I served and I stand for the flag. During that time the flag is presented during the anthem I pay tribute to the soldiers that fought and died for this country. They don't ask people to stand for ***** and giggles. For me that time is reserved for soldiers ONLY. You infringe on that time with an agenda that makes it disrespectful to me and then in turn makes it about the flag.

They can do agendas on their time, not mine. Do it on my time and I will show the same respect to them as they do the flag.

Here is a good read on standing for the flag and the anthem.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/353087-5-reasons-we-stand-for-the-flag

Steelmann

Reaction score
Interesting responses here. Like me,I am sure most of you are die hard Steelers fans. With our dear Commissioner apologizing,and basically opening the door for protest I get the feeling that a huge percentage of the players,teams,will be taking a knee. Peer or public pressure will play a big part in this. This will divide locker rooms,so I am thinking most will just go with the flow. As usual money is the catalyst,with ,let’s face it billions at stake. Of course Mr.Trump will not let this slide,he will be breaking his own Twitter record many times this season.

Personally I am a big NFL fan. No,I don’t like the way the game is going,but still watch. I cut off the cable years ago,don’t spend a dime on that front. So I have just a HD antenna that gets me five Crystal clear channels for an investment of a total of 20$. Usually between these channels they show the Sunday,Thursday night games and 2-4 games on Sunday. That’s plenty of choice for me. Fortunately they usually have tons of Steelers games on. And if not,I listen on the Steelers radio network and look at highlights later on. I actually enjoy the radio,I put on my headphones and can putter along doing things.

For me it’s also about the timing of the year. It gets grey,cold and rainy here October-February. Nothing better then putting on my fireplace making a bit of a feast,drinking a few beverages,and screaming at the TV for a few hours a week. Been doing it since the early 70’s.
In summertime you would never catch me doing this......too busy. Can’t even remember the last baseball game I watched on tv.

I must admit I am one of mixed emotions when it comes to the kneeling thing. When I go to a live event and the anthem is played,I do get a little perturbed at people talking, or not taking off the hat,or not facing the flag. And if you are not standing you had better be in a wheelchair or infirm. I agree with people that they should be doing it on their own time. Not their employers. But I also realize the game is so highly publicized,so highly profiled,that it’s pretty hard to resist for these athletes that truly believe in their cause. I sincerely believe that they are not disrespecting the military or sacrifices people have made for the rights of all. Maybe there are better ways to go about this type of protest. For them it is their way........Publicity will certainly be had and hopefully dialogue for positive change will be made.

I guess what I am saying after all this is that I will be watching. As is my choice to. I do believe they have a right to kneel,and the employer also then has a right to terminate the contract. As usual the market($$$$$$$$$$) will dictate.

I also might add,if you are representing your country that has paid your salaries and training.....ie,olympics and so forth and you kneel,which of course is your right......instant see you later from that program.

Sorry,didn’t want to make anything political. Just something during these times to get off my chest.

Muddler

Reaction score
Sorry,didn’t want to make anything political. Just something during these times to get off my chest.

Sadly.....these days it seems everything is political. My philosophy is: keep things in perspective, maintain your core values (whatever they may be), try not to let other people's politics interfere too much with your enjoyment of life and.....VOTE!

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
cant stand commercials once kick off is announced tune in.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I get the money part. The games are incredibly expensive particularly if you have to travel. Sunday Ticket, Game Pass etc. aren't cheap though there are ways to split with a buddy. But this it isnt violent enough or I dont like the politics of this. I just dont get that. If you are here you must at least like football. Wait till kickoff and turn the free games.( depending upon your cable package there are lots of them. )

Most of us here at one time or another were avid if not radical blown out obsessive huge fans of football. But for I, like many, have just gotten tired of the bullshit calls / cheating being allowed for a certain few / steelers made an example of / rules changes that change to game itself / money grab obscenity / cowardice / reality of not going back to real football-ever amongst other things, have lost full blown interest.

Many here are just holding on by the thread of their love of the past STEELERS combined to current. If the STEELERS closed shop, I'd completely quit NFL,.. Totally as is I DEAL WITH 97% STEELERS only when it comes to football. Godell has become the face of football has become, thus the disdaine for him but knowing all along that the owners support him in that the money machine keeps turning.

I watched the XFL and found myself a BIG fan in a very short period. I'm sorry they are NOT returning. In their short time established the NFL HAS TAKEN some of thier rules to enhance their own game (much needed and a lot more is needed as well). With as many flags and interruptions of the game, it is hard to watch an NFL game. When there is a big play I find myself not rooting for a delayed moment just to see if there is a flag and that by itself is a BIG distraction in game flow / experience.

I hope maybe this helps in understanding the position some of us are in. LOVE our Beloved STEELERS but not so much the NFL.

Salute the nation