• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Do you plan to watch football in 2020?

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
So tell me. Would you guys get just as pissed off if say they stood for the anthem,hand to heart facing the flag,then when the referee blew the whistle for the first couple of plays the players that wanted to protest take a knee in the middle of the field,do their circle prayer thing then got on with the game?

I would find this a much more respectful approach, and the message will still be given. Yes.

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for this comment,it’s changed my mind about a couple things. Like I said previously it’s always bugged me a bit of people not standing,talking,etc during the playing of the anthem. But not where I would take serious offense. Mostly because I don’t think there is intent to be disrespectful,but as others have pointed out the kneeling is with intent. I have never been in the military service,watched people die or get injured for their country. So there is no way I can feel the same passion as some of you veterans do. I don’t blame you for the insult you feel.

I know that most of you want no political protest at all during the games. People have been using public platforms for protests for all of time. That will never stop. ****,even a President or two will use a public platform or two that has nothing whatsoever to do with politics for political gain. Tell me one who hasn’t.

So tell me. Would you guys get just as pissed off if say they stood for the anthem,hand to heart facing the flag,then when the referee blew the whistle for the first couple of plays the players that wanted to protest take a knee in the middle of the field,do their circle prayer thing then got on with the game?

They are at work, do it on your own time. People are not paying to see there political opinion. We are paying to watch a football game.

Steelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I worked concessions at my daughters high school for years. When the anthem came on all concessions stopped. Staff and most customers turned toward the flag hand on heart respectfully. Some didn't but they were quiet and respected our actions. This BS is maddening to me but I will probably watch THE STEELERS when I'm able to.

deljzc

Reaction score
I sat out the whole Michael Vick year and I've never really been back 100%.

I use to watch every Steelers game. Even when they weren't on local TV, I would sometimes round up the family and head to the local bar to eat lunch/dinner and have a beer or two where all the games were on.

Once I came back, it became watching all the games on tape delay. I would record the Steelers and then begin watching 1 hour or 90 minutes later. That way I could fast forward through all the bullshit. The "plus 15 seconds" button on fast forward became my best friend. Watch a play, hit the +15 second, next play is about to start. So what used to be 3-4 hours of football is now 90 minutes to 2 hours max.

I played fantasy football because my friend needed people for his free league (a couple of the teams are just kids). But I've now won that league 3 years in a row and I'm backing out of that now.

Once fantasy football is done, which is likely for 2020, then my football will really go down. I might still tape the Steelers but only when the game is on my TV here in Philly region. So I bet that is 10-12 games max. All will be taped and watched with a delay. I will not watch Sunday night or Monday night when the Steelers aren't on. My wife pretty much controls the remote. We binge a lot of shows together. And that routine isn't going to change this fall or on certain nights.

I will follow the league/playoffs just to talk about it around the water cooler at work. And I will always watch the Super Bowl even with all the crap. That's just a tradition I want for my kids. Lots of food, laughing at commercials, judging the anthem and half time shows with my daughter. Stuff like that.

But I will never buy a jersey again. I have Mean Joe Greene and Polamalu. That's enough. If my Greene jersey starts to get too old, I might replace it from eBay.

Ehh.,.. that's it. I watch European soccer much more than NFL. That gets at least 3-4 hours of watch time + way more hours on-line following players than NFL now.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
How about they just don’t show the anthem on TV and while being done the players still in locker room. Took away the pledge in schools already and no real reason to show. If you are there as a fan; stand the **** up and honor our military. Those still defending us, retired and those deceased and fallen in battle. Go to commercial and come back with the over paid players we ***** about week to week and agenda based announcers

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for this comment,it’s changed my mind about a couple things. Like I said previously it’s always bugged me a bit of people not standing,talking,etc during the playing of the anthem. But not where I would take serious offense. Mostly because I don’t think there is intent to be disrespectful,but as others have pointed out the kneeling is with intent. I have never been in the military service,watched people die or get injured for their country. So there is no way I can feel the same passion as some of you veterans do. I don’t blame you for the insult you feel.

I know that most of you want no political protest at all during the games. People have been using public platforms for protests for all of time. That will never stop. ****,even a President or two will use a public platform or two that has nothing whatsoever to do with politics for political gain. Tell me one who hasn’t.

Not at all. They stood for the flag. They aren't interrupting the game. I have no problem with before the anthem or after it. I have thrown out that compromise before, but seems people often don't care for compromise when they are shoveling agenda.

But I can't speak for everyone, but for me the only time I am bothered is during the anthem. Afterwards people can sit, pick their ***, kneel, whatever...........

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
How about they just don’t show the anthem on TV and while being done the players still in locker room. Took away the pledge in schools already and no real reason to show. If you are there as a fan; stand the **** up and honor our military. Those still defending us, retired and those deceased and fallen in battle. Go to commercial and come back with the over paid players we ***** about week to week and agenda based announcers

I have mulled this over but it is tradition to show the anthem. I don't overly care for this approach but **** if it had to be take it away or see disrespectful twatwaffles kneeling. I probably would prefer for them just not to play it.

Just a sad time social media is this huge platform and for some reason that isn't enough. It is like the underhanded goal is to get rid of everything patriotic.

Last edited:

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I have mulled this over but it is tradition to show the anthem.

Outside of the playoffs (Championship games/Super Bowl), when does the NFL show the anthem on TV? I don't believe it's something they normally show during regular season games.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Outside of the playoffs (Championship games/Super Bowl), when does the NFL show the anthem on TV? I don't believe it's something they normally show during regular season games.

I think they were showing it, but tried to veer away from it after the Colin kneeling episodes. I just wonder if the media is going to push to show it again .

Vader

Reaction score

Depends on what schools you are in. We say the pledge every morning.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

I would respect the players more if they took a knee during the game. But they won't do that. That's messing with their money. Lebron made that point very clear when he scolded people for going against China and supporting Hong Kong protesters. Lebron told us we just didn;t understand how much money was at stake so it's totally fine that China runs a police state and uses slave labor. Kap lined up to take some of that Nike cash too.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I think they were showing it, but tried to veer away from it after the Colin kneeling episodes. I just wonder if the media is going to push to show it again .

The anthem was never shown for most 1 and 4 PM games. The only times it was shown was during primetime games and playoff games because they would often have a special singer to perform it.

Once the protesting started, they made a point of showing it. Until the ratings started going down. Then they stopped showing it. Again, a bunch of people all for protest until it starts hurting their money.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
I'll watch each and every play of each and every game. Otherwise, the podcasts would suck...

Fully expected after your foray onto the political board :wink:

BTW those are some lame emoticons.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
It is undoubtable that the NFL is going to foray deeper into politics. But you can just watch the games. Pretty clearly Charles you will be looking for the politics. Something else to hate.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
It is undoubtable that the NFL is going to foray deeper into politics. But you can just watch the games. Pretty clearly Charles you will be looking for the politics. Something else to hate.

You could at least come up with your own verb.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score

Not my place to respond here, but I will anyway. One wouldn't have to go looking for something to hate if the ideology weren't pushed in everyone's face on a consistent basis.

For me, I'll be setting the DVR, turn the game on 30 minutes after it starts, mute the loud mouth announcers and actually watch football and nothing but football. See how easy that is?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Not my place to respond here, but I will anyway. One wouldn't have to go looking for something to hate if the ideology weren't pushed in everyone's face on a consistent basis.

For me, I'll be setting the DVR, turn the game on 30 minutes after it starts, mute the loud mouth announcers and actually watch football and nothing but football. See how easy that is?
I think that is pretty ****** much what I said here wasn't it. You do not have to watch the pregame shows. You do not have to watch/listen to the talk shows and you do not have to open the internet stories. You can just watch the games if you so choose. But if you are still butt hurt, fine. Don't watch at all. I could give two *****.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
I think that is pretty ****** much what I said here wasn't it. You do not have to watch the pregame shows. You do not have to watch/listen to the talk shows and you do not have to open the internet stories. You can just watch the games if you so choose. But if you are still butt hurt, fine. Don't watch at all. I could give two *****.

Who sounds butthurt here? LOL.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score

I'm doing just fine, thanks for the concern.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't give a **** about any of it. It is however amusing that people are like, this guys politics do not align with my own, so I am going to punish them by not being entertained. Whatever, good luck with that. Smile, you will live longer.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a die hard Steeler fan. Its why I am on this board and its why I've invested hours of my life watching games in 3 hour increments over the last 30 years. The stuff that happens between the white lines is where my focus is. The off field stuff is such a giant distraction and I'm not even referencing the issues with police.

I want to see football this year and would love to see Ben win another ring.

I can recognize that there is a need for reforms in this country. I'll save that for the politics board where I throw in my two cents every now and then.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Fully expected after your foray onto the political board :wink:

BTW those are some lame emoticons.

Yeah, I'm good at separating politics from entertainment. Goes for sports, music or screen. Also I'm good at separating politics from family and friends that I love and interact with daily.