• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Do you plan to watch football in 2020?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm good at separating politics from entertainment. Goes for sports, music or screen. Also I'm good at separating politics from family and friends that I love and interact with daily.

Wise words. I'm finding that I will talk to friends that I share some common ground with or can have a respectful disagreement with to learn multiple sides. But with entrenched people it is a waste of time and leads to needless stress. I've lost a couple friends over this bullshit and the reality is that nothing I say or believe really changes anything anyhow.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
most people see a difference between people not paying attention and people intentionally making an action to show their disdain for the country.

Intent matters. If you want to get technical, wearing a flag on a shirt goes against the flag rules. But nobody takes offense because they know the intent is to respect the flag.

So it bugs me slightly when people are talking and ignoring the anthem but I know they are just unaware. They aren't intending to be disrespectful.

I have never agreed with protesting the flag or the anthem. It is never the correct target of scorn. The flag represents the people. The American flag more than any other. It's not some random symbol or a few colors. It's 50 stars and 13 stripes. The American people are literally woven into the flag itself.

The flag is not a symbol of the government. It's the exact opposite.

You can tell me a million times that when you protest the flag that you aren't disrespecting it. I disagree. I also think it's unnecessary. Years ago you could have made the argument that protesting the flag was a big gesture that was needed to grab attention for a cause. But not today. Today with social media, anybody can get their message out, especially athletes. Protesting the flag is completely unnecessary

It's also counter productive, because to many people when you protest the flag, you have already hardened them against your position and they will tune you out.

I place free speech at the top of the list, over the flag, so I let the people who are doing the protesting decide when they want to do it. I'm funny like that. I also don't give a **** when they do it because I've seen enough dead people for DWB or RWB or any other number offenses I'd say it's about time people stop pretending they are for the flag but have no goddamn idea about the constitution and the fact that rights are being trampled repeatedly. But I digress, I'm a Steeler fan, and I've said it enough time, I don't watch these guys to see if we happen to agree on what they think, like, or do. I watch them to play a game. The thing that will stop me from watching isn't some goddamn dog and pony **** before the kickoff, it will be the bullshit calls by these dreadful bush league refs year in and year out. THAT to me matters, since it actually effects the game.

Carry on with your diatribes now.

Joe

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
I place free speech at the top of the list, over the flag, so I let the people who are doing the protesting decide when they want to do it. I'm funny like that. I also don't give a **** when they do it because I've seen enough dead people for DWB or RWB or any other number offenses I'd say it's about time people stop pretending they are for the flag but have no goddamn idea about the constitution and the fact that rights are being trampled repeatedly. But I digress, I'm a Steeler fan, and I've said it enough time, I don't watch these guys to see if we happen to agree on what they think, like, or do. I watch them to play a game. The thing that will stop me from watching isn't some goddamn dog and pony **** before the kickoff, it will be the bullshit calls by these dreadful bush league refs year in and year out. THAT to me matters, since it actually effects the game.

Joe

That wasn't a diatribe?

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score

Joe

I missed the part where somebody suggested the player were not legally allowed to do this.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
I have mulled this over but it is tradition to show the anthem. I don't overly care for this approach but **** if it had to be take it away or see disrespectful twatwaffles kneeling. I probably would prefer for them just not to play it.

Just a sad time social media is this huge platform and for some reason that isn't enough. It is like the underhanded goal is to get rid of everything patriotic.

Seems like God, Patriotism and Family Values are targets for these Sorosites and the MSmedia. Even as some polls show that as many as 61% of fans plan to stop watching football if they continue this disrespect for the Flag and those who have defended it, the players and league plan to continue down this path to division. More than some of these fans will recant, I'm sure, but I can assure you there are bunches of us that are vets and serious about our patriotism......no matter how many ignorant ******** there are defending it.

Sorry to name call.......uh..maybe

1wrv9e.jpg
1wggvd.jpg

bucket

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I barely watch football after the BS political stuff from before and I’m sure it’s going to get worse. If the NFL is going to push a false narrative at me skipping the 3-4 games I happened to catch last year is no loss to me. I almost bought tickets to Jacksonville in November but have no interest in planning a trip around football EVER again. So honestly, do you have more, the same, or less interest in the NFL for 2020?

I don't pay for the Sunday ticket to watch protests. To be frank some of the guys taking a knee just don't like the USA and would do so regardless of what's going on.

I'll watch, however the NFL needs to be careful. I don't like most of the rules changes ( kickoffs ) or the far out talk of expanding the Rooney rule to rewarding teams for hiring minorities. Many fans on the fence who would normally watch their team finish the season might give up early if the politics bubble up and I could be one of them.

Roger S Goodell who used to be too harsh has gone soft lately. I never thought I'd say this, but we need the Roger Goodell who hammered players and teams for breaking the rules. Now we have the soft " [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Stokoe " version. [/FONT]

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
If some guys want to make a difference, work with the local police departments and politicians, and give the President his due for the new police bill that goes into law today. That would be progress. Taking a knee doing the national anthem is the quickest way to alienate the fan base.

The NFL is about entertainment not politcs.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
If some guys want to make a difference, work with the local police departments and politicians, and give the President his due for the new police bill that goes into law today. That would be progress. Taking a knee doing the national anthem is the quickest way to alienate the fan base.

I agree with the main part of this post, but it is more for me. The new rules making marcia god in cleats, the ignoring the cheating, the inconsistent calls, the soft play expectations, the egos, the "me first" players, etc. That's what really killed it for me. The PC crap is just icing on the cake.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
. Taking a knee doing the national anthem is the quickest way to alienate the fan base.

Yep and you can say it USED TO BE about entertainment.....not so much anymore. Now its money and imaginary social issues.

6sn8hLS.jpg
zFpHoUN.jpg

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
And there goes my segment on Houston up and coming players in the NFL...

We werent gonna miss much, anyway

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am a fan of the resilient City of Pittsburgh, the beauty of the rolling hills of Western PA, and the people that populate it.

The teams that play for that city are secondary. The Steelers, the Pens, and yes, even the Buccos are still my teams, even though I have not lived in that area since 1973

I will watch this year because of the following reasons:

1) We are going to WIN the ******* Super Bowl.

2) We will have an amazing D

3) It will likely be my last opportunity to see Big Ben Roethlisberger play, because I suspect, that after we WIN, the ******* Super Bowl, he will pull a Bus, and retire.

In all of my years of watching the Steelers, no player has left me more amazed at his incredible play than Big Ben. Troy is second, Lynn Swann third.

There is no QB that I would have rather have had these past 17 years than him. None.

He was born to be a Steeler, his style of play is the identity of the City of Pittsburgh.

So many incredible memories.......From a 15-1 Rookie Season, to our Sixth Super Bowl win on a play that will live forever as the greatest pass/catch, to end the greatest drive in Super Bowl history. Amazing.

The fact that Ben was a Bungle and Browns killer is just extra thick icing on a 7 layer cake. His inspired play set the tone for our success.

So yeah, I will watch, every game, but Roger, you Farging Icehole, I will not pay you a dime. There are other ways to watch,and if the pirated ways fail, I will go to the sports bar.

And in the event that I do go to a game in my beloved City of Pittsburgh, know this, the game is an addendum. Visiting that glorious hometown of mine is the reason.

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Reaction score
The ability to separate politics from entertainment is a step on the path to happiness... I don’t care about the dumbass league’s dumbass policies. I’ll watch. I won’t attend any because frankly I enjoy my million inch tv and friend parties better than neo nazi rules at stadiums these days...

deljzc

Reaction score
If you are going to stick with it one more year, this is the year to do it.

I think this is the last good shot the Steelers have for quite some while. Everything is now pointing towards drastically reduced NFL revenue this year. They might cancel preseason games (and the TV rights that go with it). They might have less fans in stadiums. All the expenses of keeping players safer and quarantined.

Where this impacts the Steelers is our salary cap. We are a "borrow from the future to pay for today" franchise. We constantly re-negotiate and push money forward with restructures of our star players. When the economy of football is good, this doesn't matter. When the cap goes up 7-8% a year it absorbs and justifies this type of philosophy. I've learned to reluctantly accept it, even if I don't agree with it.

The problem is when the cap stops going up. It happened in the 2010 - 2012 era where the labor dispute put a hold on salary cap going up and put us into a real bind. That was arguably the cause of the Colbert Era into the Tomlin Era when it came to players.

Here is reference to it today in an article about Heyward:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/06/cam-heyward-to-earn-aaron-donald-money

There are signs that we are going to be in deep salary cap crisis next season even with completely letting Dupree walk for only a compensatory pick. When you entire defense is predominantly 1st round picks, that eventually DOES impact your salary cap and ability to retain them. They expect (and have been told forever) that they are the best of the best. Starting = stardom and money to them. You can't argue PFF ratings and analytics. We have a lot of 1st round talents that are not going to just take discounts to play here. Some have been paid, some are going to want raises, some are going to be difficult to restructure.

And then we have to deal with a end-of-career franchise QB that is arguably being paid (and money pushed forward) on a year-to-year basis where eventually his retirement and accounting of his past pay will have to be realized on the salary cap books.

I don't know everyone. I'm not "into it" like I once was. I'm not breaking down all the numbers like I did from 2006-2013.

I can't think of a more boom-bust season for the Steelers. Maybe everything works out and this our last great run. But I could just as likely see another bad season, a Roethlisberger that starts looking his age and can't save an offense, and a defense that doesn't live up to expectations with no accountability and everyone wanting to get paid and thinking their **** doesn't stink.

I'm sure Tombert will hold it all together with duct tape moving forward and scrounge out mediocrity. But this might be the last time we are threat (at least on paper) before the cracks in the armor are just too much for Tombert to tape together.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The ability to separate politics from entertainment is a step on the path to happiness... I don’t care about the dumbass league’s dumbass policies. I’ll watch. I won’t attend any because frankly I enjoy my million inch tv and friend parties better than neo nazi rules at stadiums these days...

Well stated. I have attended 7 Steelers games and they all costed crazy amounts of money. But I view those games as trips and what I call life markers. But on the flip side I do love football and the Roughriders play 2 and 1/2 hours from me. So that would be very comparable to many of you and the Steelers. 50 bucks of gas, $70 for game ticket, $150 for a hotel cause I'm going to drink, $12/beer at the game, rapeage for the food. And those games just aren't life markers for me. So I don't go. Before NFL starts up I throw a 40 inch TV and run a cable to my deck. Some friends come over and have a great time. Its just not worth it. I enjoy as much on my deck. So I get what you are saying.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
How about they just don’t show the anthem on TV and while being done the players still in locker room. Took away the pledge in schools already and no real reason to show. If you are there as a fan; stand the **** up and honor our military. Those still defending us, retired and those deceased and fallen in battle. Go to commercial and come back with the over paid players we ***** about week to week and agenda based announcers

Playing the anthem with the players on the field is a fairly recent addition, starting in 2009. At the time NFL marketing made a huge $$ deal with the US Armed Forces to cap into the war on terror patriotism. Hence all the Salute to Service and merchandising. Recognizing the Armed Forces is not a problem, same for bringing awareness to Cancer prevention and research. The league is using their platform to bring awareness. However, once specific agendas are promoted that becomes an issue. So the league/commish dropped the ball when it first started. Had they made the decision to ban the kneeling then most likely the original protest would have been moved a different probably more viable medium. On your employer’s time, you follow their rules. Don’t like the rules? You find another employer to offer your services. Part of the system of free enterprise....you know one of the founding principles of the Constitution.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

black and gold apex

Reaction score
I was wanting to see this team this year with Ben back and players over all the injuries. First to see how they would respond and second to see how Tomin coaches after a just terrible season where so much went wrong. But with all the force fed actions of the NFL in the last month I almost could care less. I know one thing other games I will not give a second to. We all love the NFL and Steelers but it truly has become way more than the game. I cannot even imagine the hoop a lau the first game with Brees and then throw in Brady add on top players wanting to knee. We will more than likely have to listen to Romo and all his thoughts The next day we won't remember the score let alone who won.

alancac98

Reaction score
Depends on what schools you are in. We say the pledge every morning.

We do too. In fact, I teach my kids several songs. We start with My Country Tis of Thee, then teach the Star-Spanlged Banner. I go to youtube and show the video of Francis Scott Key and how he created the song on that one night. I speak at length that the bodies of the American's who died, held that flag up, even do a little role play to show it. The kids stand up straight and tall after that and always enjoy singing the National Anthem. I do my best to show American pride in my classroom as we sing!

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If you are going to stick with it one more year, this is the year to do it.

I think this is the last good shot the Steelers have for quite some while. Everything is now pointing towards drastically reduced NFL revenue this year. They might cancel preseason games (and the TV rights that go with it). They might have less fans in stadiums. All the expenses of keeping players safer and quarantined.

Where this impacts the Steelers is our salary cap. We are a "borrow from the future to pay for today" franchise. We constantly re-negotiate and push money forward with restructures of our star players. When the economy of football is good, this doesn't matter. When the cap goes up 7-8% a year it absorbs and justifies this type of philosophy. I've learned to reluctantly accept it, even if I don't agree with it.

The problem is when the cap stops going up. It happened in the 2010 - 2012 era where the labor dispute put a hold on salary cap going up and put us into a real bind. That was arguably the cause of the Colbert Era into the Tomlin Era when it came to players.

Here is reference to it today in an article about Heyward:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/06/cam-heyward-to-earn-aaron-donald-money

There are signs that we are going to be in deep salary cap crisis next season even with completely letting Dupree walk for only a compensatory pick. When you entire defense is predominantly 1st round picks, that eventually DOES impact your salary cap and ability to retain them. They expect (and have been told forever) that they are the best of the best. Starting = stardom and money to them. You can't argue PFF ratings and analytics. We have a lot of 1st round talents that are not going to just take discounts to play here. Some have been paid, some are going to want raises, some are going to be difficult to restructure.

And then we have to deal with a end-of-career franchise QB that is arguably being paid (and money pushed forward) on a year-to-year basis where eventually his retirement and accounting of his past pay will have to be realized on the salary cap books.

I don't know everyone. I'm not "into it" like I once was. I'm not breaking down all the numbers like I did from 2006-2013.

I can't think of a more boom-bust season for the Steelers. Maybe everything works out and this our last great run. But I could just as likely see another bad season, a Roethlisberger that starts looking his age and can't save an offense, and a defense that doesn't live up to expectations with no accountability and everyone wanting to get paid and thinking their **** doesn't stink.

I'm sure Tombert will hold it all together with duct tape moving forward and scrounge out mediocrity. But this might be the last time we are threat (at least on paper) before the cracks in the armor are just too much for Tombert to tape together.

Pretty SPOT on post..!!!!!

Salute the nation