• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Does Benny Snell Deserve A Shot?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Benny Snell will be a Steelers running back for sure next year. He likely will not be the lead back. In fact I hope he is not the lead back. That said, if they go Oline or outside shot QB in round 1 will they get a lead back in the draft?
I've seen suggestions that our OL will include Banner at RT and Okorafor at LT, Snell at RB. Man, if this is what the team looks like next year when you factor in who knows at center, a WR corps minus JuJu, potentially no more Hilton, no Dupree. Yikes.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen suggestions that our OL will include Banner at RT and Okorafor at LT, Snell at RB. Man, if this is what the team looks like next year when you factor in who knows at center, a WR corps minus JuJu, potentially no more Hilton, no Dupree. Yikes.
Thankfully that isn't the team out of the gates. Banner will upgrade RT, a C could be brought in to upgrade Pouncey who was clearly declining. Then you upgrade Conner in the draft(rd2) and already you have a better presentation. Notice I only mentioned one draft selection. You can draft a OLBer early a T(1rd)early a WR or TE early and that takes you to 4 selections on a team that drafts well. Then you are down what? A DT who can pass rush a little but is good against the run? Possibility can get that in 5 and then ST help the rest. You then have a competitive team. One that will win the SB? probably not with the coaching track record but a competitive team none the less. Perhaps 10 and 7 and Ben rides off into the sunset.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Thankfully that isn't the team out of the gates. Banner will upgrade RT, a C could be brought in to upgrade Pouncey who was clearly declining. Then you upgrade Conner in the draft(rd2) and already you have a better presentation. Notice I only mentioned one draft selection. You can draft a OLBer early a T(1rd)early a WR or TE early and that takes you to 4 selections on a team that drafts well. Then you are down what? A DT who can pass rush a little but is good against the run? Possibility can get that in 5 and then ST help the rest. You then have a competitive team. One that will win the SB? probably not with the coaching track record but a competitive team none the less. Perhaps 10 and 7 and Ben rides off into the sunset.
Banner is an upgrade in run blocking. He's still a liability in pass protection, at least based on what he showed against the Giants. I agree they could upgrade at center. I think you need to go tackle early because none of the center prospects are at the elite level to grab in the first.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Banner is an upgrade in run blocking. He's still a liability in pass protection, at least based on what he showed against the Giants. I agree they could upgrade at center. I think you need to go tackle early because none of the center prospects are at the elite level to grab in the first.
Good thing is this team could really open some space tweaking some players contracts...with Ben doing what he did. With arguably more cuts around the league this year the team really could find some bargains. That could help solidify a shaky roster. Curious how much they are going to help Ben out knowing it is his last year. For those cut happy fans you won't help the team cutting every Tom,Dick, and Harry. If it was me I would clear enough to bring in a capable vet C and T. That can be the band-aid the offensive lines needs.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
2k09np.jpg

Snell had opportunities to snatch the RB1 job last year (and the year before) when JC was taking his injury breaks. He failed to do so. Good for depth. But has not shown himself to be RB1 capable.