• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Don Cherry fired

hamster

Pronouns: Your lordship
Contributor
Reaction score
He triggered Canada.

This is what he said.......of immigrants.

"You people love — they come here, whatever it is — you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey. The least you could pay is a couple of bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys pay for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys pay the biggest price.”

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah a buncha triggered liberals. I don’t think that was offensive.

Don has no filter. Was crazy blunt with words. He’s had some anti American remarks at times though so **** him.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
He triggered Canada.

This is what he said.......of immigrants.

"You people love — they come here, whatever it is — you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey. The least you could pay is a couple of bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys pay for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys pay the biggest price.”
Don is almost always correct, even when he criticizes asshat Americans.

What's with the thin skin MTC? Calling things as they are doesnt make him wrong.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I see Canada is starting to lose its mind too. You dump a guy who's been in it that long just because he may hurt someone's feelings?

The truth ******* hurts sometimes.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Don is almost always correct, even when he criticizes asshat Americans.

What's with the thin skin MTC? Calling things as they are doesnt make him wrong.

Naw not thin skinned. But when he said American hockey players act a certain way? C’mon. There’s been some loud mouth Canucksters. I can respect the fact he stands for his country though. But I’ll leave my thoughts at that.

Political wise I agree with the guy. I think we need more like him in the US market. Like I stated in my first post, his remarks were far from offensive. That’s the liberal media for you

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
He's pissed because he didn't see enough immigrants wearing poppy pins? Goofy place up there.

str8liner

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what he said that was so awful.

Fired for calling immigrant's "you people"?!?!?

Really? I never thought I would see the day a comment like that would get you fired.

Bunch of slack jawed ******* growing up in the world today....

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
WTF is a poppy?
https://images.app.goo.gl/guzrwH6y3sdJQpQw6

Remembrance Day, Nov 11th, is Canada's combined Memorial Day and Veterans Day.
It used to be a day of national solemnity, but is now almost an afterthought. It is very meaningful to older Canadians, especially those with military links.

Both my kids have worn puppies, the symbols of Remembrance, for the past week because it is just the right way to live respectfully.

Spike

Reaction score
Calling Sid a hot dog for celebrating goals was it for me, and he really hated Europeans for bringing that helmet wearing soft game to hockey

I expect national riots from old school Canadian hockey fans

Spike

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what he said that was so awful.

99.9% of Canadians are white, but still bow to the French world view of immigration loving globalists, not hard to figure out

Baby seal pup clubbing is still just fine though, lol

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
He's an asshat most of the time and the fact that he didn't apologize is just fine with me. He's 85, an annoying TV personality and will say what he wants. We live in a sensitive and ultra-PC time, even in Canada it seems. You will offend someone and all it takes is one person to cry enough to cost someone their job or livelihood.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
99.9% of Canadians are white, but still bow to the French world view of immigration loving globalists, not hard to figure out

Baby seal pup clubbing is still just fine though, lol

I get all of that. Still don't know what he said that was so horrible.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
You will offend someone and all it takes is one person to cry enough to cost someone their job or livelihood.

Yep. Cancel culture. Say something controversial, and you will be left penniless and blackballed by the social media mob, which in turn pressures corporations, because they don't want to be cancelled.

Spike

Reaction score
I get all of that. Still don't know what he said that was so horrible.

Canadians have no right to free speech, just like the UK, lol

"YOU PEOPLE"

"You people ... you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that," Cherry said, CBC reported. "These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price."

"The National Hockey League said in a statement that Cherry's remarks were “offensive and contrary to the values we believe in.”

See there, white man's hockey is racist

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Yea, he has no filter. Using "You people" is stupid and careless. The only time I ever hear of him is when he says something that riles someone up.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
The NHL is moving to a younger more liberal fan base. They believe that's where their future is. In Pittsburgh it's things like changing the goal song to ******* "Jump Around". Continuing to reference Yellow instead of Gold. . Many of the theme nights lean liberal left. I'm not blaming the Pens. I attend games in 8-10 cities a year. It's the NHL.

Cherry hasn't fit the NHL model in years. Read this from Breitbart https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...e-canadian-left-hates-hockey-icon-don-cherry/

I've never been a fan of Cherry. Not that I disagreed with him but I having a hard time with over the top asshats.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
The NHL is moving to a younger more liberal fan base. They believe that's where their future is. In Pittsburgh it's things like changing the goal song to ******* "Jump Around". Continuing to reference Yellow instead of Gold. . Many of the theme nights lean liberal left. I'm not blaming the Pens. I attend games in 8-10 cities a year. It's the NHL.

Cherry hasn't fit the NHL model in years. Read this from Breitbart https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...e-canadian-left-hates-hockey-icon-don-cherry/

I've never been a fan of Cherry. Not that I disagreed with him but I having a hard time with over the top asshats.

Damn, they replaced the song from Blur? Song #1 or whatever it's called?? Oh well, I haven't been to a game in a year or two.

The last game I went to at PPG, they played a lot of metal that I was actually surprised by. I can see why they are catering to a younger audience. . . money! All you have to do is look to the NFL or NBA and see how they market themselves and how successful they are. It is what it is.

Uncle Ben

Reaction score
Damn, they replaced the song from Blur? Song #1 or whatever it's called?? Oh well, I haven't been to a game in a year or two.

The last game I went to at PPG, they played a lot of metal that I was actually surprised by. I can see why they are catering to a younger audience. . . money! All you have to do is look to the NFL or NBA and see how they market themselves and how successful they are. It is what it is.

Song 2 from the Blur was changed to Party Hard by Andrew WK in October 2016. Then at the start of this year "Jump Around" by House of Pain. I was pissed when they changed the HEY song years ago but Song 2 was excellent. I hate Jump Around with a passion (I need to get a life). Just like with the Steelers, It's Black and Gold, not Yellow. PR people are getting younger and seem to target their own age groups. They should look around the venue's and realize the average age of their fans. The Pens in game experience has gotten lousy, Steelers also. Look the empty Steeler seats and look at the amount of discounting of Pens tickets. The organizations have to balance tradition with targeting. *Rant Over*

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Song 2 from the Blur was changed to Party Hard by Andrew WK in October 2016. Then at the start of this year "Jump Around" by House of Pain. I was pissed when they changed the HEY song years ago but Song 2 was excellent. I hate Jump Around with a passion (I need to get a life). Just like with the Steelers, It's Black and Gold, not Yellow. PR people are getting younger and seem to target their own age groups. They should look around the venue's and realize the average age of their fans. The Pens in game experience has gotten lousy, Steelers also. Look the empty Steeler seats and look at the amount of discounting of Pens tickets. The organizations have to balance tradition with targeting. *Rant Over*

Ahhh, that's right about Party Hard. I remember fans being PO'd about that. Hell, they still play that God awful "Cotton-Eye Joe". Could be the worst song ever! I knew it was coming, change with the times and audience. It's a Hip-Hop/Dance music dominated world now. I'm there to see the game. All that fluff is for the women and kids. If it was up to me, the Pens would come out to Slayer or Slipknot, after their theme music. The kiddies would hate it.

Spike

Reaction score
The game has changed, hockey was never PC, lol

VigilantSmoggyIchidna-size_restricted.gif