• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Draft grades from the web. Add them here.

Omar10213245

πŸ‘€πŸ‘‚πŸŽƒπŸˆπŸ‡πŸ₯‘πŸ†πŸ‹πŸͺ‚πŸŒžπŸŒ›πŸŒœβ˜‚β˜”β„πŸŒŠπŸ₯΄πŸ€¬πŸ₯Ί
Contributor
Reaction score
this guy did and he kinda sorta knows something about playing the position for the Steelers.

ike1229.jpg

Damn....ike taylor's head is just....bulbous, lol

Omar10213245

πŸ‘€πŸ‘‚πŸŽƒπŸˆπŸ‡πŸ₯‘πŸ†πŸ‹πŸͺ‚πŸŒžπŸŒ›πŸŒœβ˜‚β˜”β„πŸŒŠπŸ₯΄πŸ€¬πŸ₯Ί
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers,Coach.,and despite your opinion they have a lot more info,expertise, and success than you or any of the draftniks either pro or amateur.

So tell them to hop on this message board and discuss it

Supersteeler

Reaction score
All you have to do is go back and watch the drafts from previous years when they re-broadcast them like they did last week. There is some great comedy in there. So many times Mayock and the rest of the panel were falling all over themselves after a pick with "This guy is going to be a phenomenal player in the NFL!" and "This guy will be a perennial Pro Bowler!" . Fast forward to the present.....Not only did that guy never even start an NFL game in his career, he was so horrible that he was completely out of the league within 2 or 3 years. Or vise versa...."I don't understand this pick at all....a total reach!" for a guy who hasn't stopped making Pro Bowl teams yet. Crap shoot.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Didnt you say in another thread that you would hate Burns in the 1st?

Yes Bermuda did. My how fast Things can change.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
cbssports

Pittsburgh Steelers

Best pick: Second-round pick Sean Davis played corner last year for Maryland, but he needs to slide inside and play safety, which is where he played early in his career. Davis will be a star in the Steelers secondary.

Questionable move: Not making a move up to get one of the top corners. I like Artie Burns, but he can be a bit of a project. Moving up to get William Jackson would have been a better pick.

Third-day gem: Sixth-round pick Travis Feeney is a slender outside rusher who can fly. He does need to add some weight, but he has talent.

Analysis: I like that the Steelers addressed need in the secondary with their first two picks. They used five picks on defense, which they had to do. This was a nice group for Kevin Colbert. I love Davis, and Burns is talented.

Grade: B

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
NFL.com

Pittsburgh Steelers
Draft picks: Artie Burns (No. 25 overall), Sean Davis (No. 58 overall), Javon Hargrave (No. 89 overall), Jerald Hawkins (No. 123 overall), Travis Feeney (No. 220 overall), DeMarcus Ayers (No. 229 overall), Tyler Matakevich (No. 246 overall)
Day 1 grade: B+
Day 2 grade: A
Day 3 grade: C
Overall grade: A-
The skinny: Pittsburgh decided to let Cortez Allen go, so it was no surprise that they brought in another tall, long corner to take on opponents' big receivers. Burns will get a lot of penalties unless he stops being so handsy, but the potential is definitely there. Once again the Steelers play the board well, getting another versatile, tough-nosed defensive back in Davis. I thought they might look at Hargrave in the second round to build defensive line depth, so picking him up in the third was a no-brainer.

Pittsburgh addressed their offensive line with the Hawkins selection. He'll need time to mature, but has enough athleticism to play tackle on Sundays. It wouldn't be a Steelers draft without a couple of linebackers; Feeney and Matakevich will make their marks.

steelpastor

Reaction score
Didn't he run 4.42 forty? That's pretty damn fast. World class? Who cares?

Agreed. Mayock did say that Burns has "world class speed." I know his 40 time... so does Mayock. My guess is that it is because Burns set the multiple records in hurdles--60m, 110m and 300m--some of those records had stood for nearly forty years. Hence, he does have "world class speed." In fact, if I were going to evaluate someone's "track" speed and translate it to football... it wouldn't be the 60m or even the 100m. It would be the 60m hurdles. Yes, it is run in a straight line... but there are obvious obstructions.

Oh, and by all accounts... Burns is MUCH more than just a track-guy.

I like the pick.

papillon

Reaction score
I don't pay much attention to the specific players selected, because there is no way for me to evaluate the players entering the draft and determine which ones the Steelers should draft. However, I can, at the 30,000 foot view of the team, determine what areas need some improvement (IMO) or in which the Steelers struggled.

QB - No
RB - No
TE - No
WR - No
OL - Not really, depth needed
Kick Coverage - Yes
Punt Coverage - Not really
Punting - Probably
Kicking - No
DL - Not really, depth
OLB - Yes
ILB - Not really, depth
CB - Yes
Safety - Yes

So, IMO, the Steelers have attempted to address the inadequacies that may have cost them a shot at the SB and because of that the draft was successful from my perspective. How these specific players that were selected pan out, only time will tell, but the Steelers took the necessary steps to improve the team. We'll see how it all works out.

Grade: Unknown at this point in time.

Papillon

Last edited:

Chiba

Reaction score
I don't pay much attention to the specific players selected, because there is no way for me to evaluate the players entering the draft and determine which ones the Steelers should draft. However, I can, at the 30,000 foot view of the team, determine what areas need some improvement (IMO) or in which the Steelers struggled.

QB - No
RB - No
TE - No
WR - No
OL - Not really, depth needed
Kick Coverage - Yes
Punt Coverage - Not really
Punting - Probably
Kicking - No
DL - Not really, depth
OLB - Yes
ILB - Not really, depth
CB - Yes
Safety - Yes

So, IMO, the Steelers have attempted to address the inadequacies that may have cost them a shot at the SB and because of the draft was successful from my perspective. How these specific players that were selected pan out, only time will tell, but the Steelers took the necessary steps to improve the team. We'll see how it all works out.

Grade: Unknown at this point in time.

Papillon

Basically agree - additional

Lost a starter at NT - needed a grade A DL
lost Garvin and Spence special team LB standouts so LB teamers needed.
No PR after AB cost them badly

Def drafting for need this time around

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes and NO. I look for the context and reasoning for their grade. For example Pro Football Focus points out Burns is not good in zone, and we play a lot of it. Square peg in a round hole? Shades of Ziggy Hood.

I respect Mayock. He said 3rd round grades from NFL teams. A little scary.

Please post someone who liked Burns!

Yeah I really bank on what a **** site like Focus, rates a player.

The kid has fluid hips and speed. I am sure he can develop better zone technique if that is even a deficiency.

What he does has is a nose for the football with 6 INTs in his last year. Coming from a school that can bring in talent, just doesn't always coach them up good.

That's where there Steelers come in.

I don't mind seeing draft grades, it is just irritating people hanging on them to enforce their ****** opinions..........

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn....ike taylor's head is just....bulbous, lol

I love me some Ike.

But his could play a mean Leader role, as the Hulk's rival if he ever was interested.

Ike can yinz act?

:hororr:

Ye Black Knight

Reaction score
The difference in this site now compared to 10+ years ago is staggering. Heaven forbid somebody doesn't like a move the Steelers make. Well, you wanted a place full of sunshine pumpers you got it. I mean, every draft pick the Steelers have ever made has always produced a quality player after all.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
The difference in this site now compared to 10+ years ago is staggering. Heaven forbid somebody doesn't like a move the Steelers make.
No problem with anyone not liking the moves the Steelers make. Just back it up with substance & present some viable alternatives as opposed to belly-aching and self-pity.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The difference in this site now compared to 10+ years ago is staggering. Heaven forbid somebody doesn't like a move the Steelers make. Well, you wanted a place full of sunshine pumpers you got it. I mean, every draft pick the Steelers have ever made has always produced a quality player after all.

yeah because someone reads a few comments on a ****** site and people should bank on that as gold.

I respect someone disliking a pick based on tape that they watch.

Everyone is entitled to a ****** opinion, just don't think when you present one, it won't be countered with criticism.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score

Where were you last year when the team drafted all the short guys? Dri Archer ring a bell with you SlapDick?

obxsteeler

Reaction score
After I listen to our coaches-especially Mitchell and Munchak I really don't need much from Kiper etc.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

you're a ******* idiot

Ye Black Knight

Reaction score
Where were you last year when the team drafted all the short guys? Dri Archer ring a bell with you SlapDick?

Uhh Dri Archer had a **** ton of defenders on this board until it was finally indisputable he was garbage.
People left this board over it because it's just ridiculous around here anymore. It really is. Any criticism of the Steelers is so swiftly and brutally shouted down anymore, valid points or not, it's almost like being a conservative on a college campus.

steel shinin

Reaction score

I feel the opposite. Knee jerk ******** had overrun this site for a while and it's just finally getting better in the last few years. I'd like to see more guys like TMC post here who actually know what they are talking about and offer relevant and intelligent feedback to their opinions but that's always sandwiched between the bitching, whining, pessimistic, egomaniacal **** that you sound like you enjoy. We should be able to talk about the Steelers without having to **** on everything. Especially the draft. These guys haven't even played yet! You can't have it both ways man. You can't **** on a pick and then try and act brand new if they guy turns into an All Pro or act like you are a ****** eagle eye scout if a pick bombs. Respect the fact that the Steelers know what they're doing, and they have won CHAMPIONSHIPS doing it. Have your opinion but do it with some respect.