• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Draft grades from the web. Add them here.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
it's just ridiculous around here anymore. It really is.
What we've seen around here is a noticeable increase in dripping vaginas. Someone say, such as yourself, who hasn't added an iota to the draft discussion we've been having for days now, but comes around sniffling and whining about how mean-spirited everyone is on the board.

Any criticism of the Steelers is so swiftly and brutally shouted down anymore, valid points or not
You are wrong. Nobody gets 'swiftly and brutally shouted down' who has valid points. We've had years of there-and-back on many topics with opposing viewpoints. What gets 'swiftly and brutally shouted down' are the whiny, dripping vagina posts, such as yours, that have no merit, no substance and are completey void of any valid points. Maybe it's time to get a safe room, or at the minimum, a package of Kleenex.

Last edited:

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Right now we can only criticize the pics based on college tape. At first I was pissed but then I let it sink and it made sense
Burns looks raw but has the tools, what else was available that was more ready to play? At CB none and getting a prospect like Spence, billings, butler weren't exactly day one starters, jack has an injury issue. So getting a CB, a very young one but with experience against good rivals, with all the tools late in the first is mot a bad deal, I see it as similar to drafting Apple.

The rest of the class also have the tools, Davis has experience at two positions but is better at S, so he's a hard hitter but also has coverage skills, so he can play both S positions and even cover a 4th WR or a TE deep one on one

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Ramsey - O ints last year -
Hargreaves 3 Ints last year -
Alexander 0 ints last year
Apple 3 ints last year -
Jackson 5 ints last year
Burns 6 ints last year

Not hard to see why the Steelers thought highly of Burns.....

* faced solid competition - check
* solid speed -check
* can play man coverage - check
* nose for the football - check
* circumstances in his life make him hungry for success -check

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Dri wasn't draft(ed) last year.

If yinz going to polly wally reach around try to correct peeps, don't have errors in your approach.

hi

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Ramsey - O ints last year -
Hargreaves 3 Ints last year -
Alexander 0 ints last year
Apple 3 ints last year -
Jackson 5 ints last year
Burns 6 ints last year

Not hard to see why the Steelers thought highly of Burns.....

* faced solid competition - check
* solid speed -check
* can play man coverage - check
* nose for the football - check
* circumstances in his life make him hungry for success -check
Great post. This makes me realize how ironic it's been with all the belly-aching about the pick, that there's been basically zero actual criticism of Artie Burns the player. I'm thinking of posts that may have highlighted his shortcomings, why he wasn't worthy of a first round grade, etc. All the bitching has been about 1. the bizarre notion the Bengals somehow 'stole' WJIII from us a pick earlier and 2. the fact Burns is young and a bit unpolished and may take some time to become a starter in the league. That's it. When you focus on his actual skills, physical traits, mental makeup and more than anything his actual on-field performance at Miami, as you say, it's not hard to see why he was so high on the Steelers board. And it's definitely not hard to understand why they were elated to pick him at the bottom of the 1st round.

Last edited:

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Dude you are one of the main culprits so I don't particularly care what you think about me.

dude you don't even matter here...you pop in now and then to say stupid **** then disappear..feel free to disappear again

P

POP

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/30/draft-2016-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

Consensus around the world is Pgh got a C- to D. The rest of the div. got B+ or A's. That is the consensus.

And it happens to be the same grade I would give. And here is the same thoughts I had on Burns.

Questionable pick: Burns - The Steelers needed a cornerback, and Burns has a lot of pure talent. He'll just need to be coached up. On a defense that needs immediate help, can he catch up fast enough?

He is raw, and we need help immediately. And then they follow up this raw pick with another raw pick in Davis. Maybe in the three years our D will be better.

Meanwhile, Balt., Cle., and Cinci all had monster drafts. We took a step backwards this draft.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/30/draft-2016-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

Consensus around the world is Pgh got a C- to D. The rest of the div. got B+ or A's. That is the consensus.

And it happens to be the same grade I would give. And here is the same thoughts I had on Burns.

He is raw, and we need help immediately. And then they follow up this raw pick with another raw pick in Davis. Maybe in the three years our D will be better.

Meanwhile, Balt., Cle., and Cinci all had monster drafts. We took a step backwards this draft.

bullshit....I posted two grades better than those and I don't think they mean a damn thing either....

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

At least you used to post with some logic. Now that is gone too
How can we take a step back if even you are admitting they are pure talent?
Also, who was your supposed pick that would be immediate help?

Finally I think no one here cares about your opinion, go to a *pats site to find someone who might

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
So proud of you that you think highly enough of yourself to make such bold declarations a day after the draft ended. That's exactly how drafts are deemed successful or not, on paper, before any of the players have set foot on the grass.

Last edited:

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just going to put this out there ... the next CB taken after Burns was Xavien Howard by the Dolphins 13 picks after the Steelers. Xavien Howard ... is that who the Steelers could have picked that was "starter capable". The Chiefs and Cardinals both passed on the remaining CB talent in the first round despite both of them needing DB help. Hell, after Burns was taken, the Chiefs traded away their pick because they were hoping he'd drop to them. Alexander; he of the "no interceptions" (an indicator of production for a DB) went 29 picks later than Burns ... That should indicate to even the most stubborn of people that the NFL talent evaluators, who get paid to ... evaluate talent ... didn't think that Alexander was a first round talent. Not just the Steelers talent evaluators, but EVERY team in the league.

P

POP

"Grades" mean nothing, nada, at this point. Just mental masturbation.

Check in again in two years.

Grades don't "mean anything" in themselves; they are merely predictions. But sometimes predictions are correct. For instance, many gave a bad draft grade to the Dri Archer pick. They said he was far too small to amount to anything in the NFL. The draft grade given was a D or F. But you would say, "Those are just grades. They don't mean nothing."

Well, they might not have "meant nothing" but they happened to be dead on the $. See what I mean? The criticism and grading of the Archer pick may not, in themselves, "meant nothing" but as it turned out, those who gave that pick a bad grade were 100% right, and the Steeler front office missed that pick like a drunken marksman, having been spun around 20 times before he tried to shoot his gun.

The consensus around the world is the Steelers had a "C-" or "D" kind of draft.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm just going to put this out there ... the next CB taken after Burns was Xavien Howard by the Dolphins 13 picks after the Steelers. Xavien Howard ... is that who the Steelers could have picked that was "starter capable". The Chiefs and Cardinals both passed on the remaining CB talent in the first round despite both of them needing DB help. Hell, after Burns was taken, the Chiefs traded away their pick because they were hoping he'd drop to them. Alexander; he of the "no interceptions" (an indicator of production for a DB) went 29 picks later than Burns ... That should indicate to even the most stubborn of people that the NFL talent evaluators, who get paid to ... evaluate talent ... didn't think that Alexander was a first round talent. Not just the Steelers talent evaluators, but EVERY team in the league.

Good summary. Would you rather habe Bruns, or Howard and an extra 3rd?

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Consensus around the world is Pgh got a C- to D.
I don't care much about post-draft grades, but I do have low tolerance for outright haters.

1. CBS Sports Grade B

cbs.png

2. Mel Kiper Grade B (thanks to BTSC)

melkiper.png

3. Sports Illustrated Grade B

image.png

4. USA Today Grade B

usatoday.png

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Grades don't "mean anything" in themselves; they are merely predictions. But sometimes predictions are correct. For instance, many gave a bad draft grade to the Dri Archer pick. They said he was far too small to amount to anything in the NFL. The draft grade given was a D or F. But you would say, "Those are just grades. They don't mean nothing."

Well, they might not have "meant nothing" but they happened to be dead on the $. See what I mean? The criticism and grading of the Archer pick may not, in themselves, "meant nothing" but as it turned out, those who gave that pick a bad grade were 100% right, and the Steeler front office missed that pick like a drunken marksman, having been spun around 20 times before he tried to shoot his gun.

The consensus around the world is the Steelers had a "C-" or "D" kind of draft.

1. That's a little overly-dramatic. I don't think most of THE WORLD really gives a hoot who or what the Steelers drafted. Also, posters have shown that not even a consensus of the so called evaluation sites call the Steelers draft a C- to D draft.

2. Archer was a whole different can of fish. None of the draft sites are saying that Burns, Davis, et al. don't have the skills/size to succeed. Those who harp on the pick are mostly harping on the idea that they are "raw" and (allegedly) won't provide much help THIS year. Totally different than the Archer situation where the question was whether he would ever amount to an NFL player.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

You are truly a cheats fan

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

Depends on what I figure the gap in talent between Burns and Howard is. If I think that Burns has the higher ceiling for down the road and can potentially help out in certain situations this year, I stick with my board and make the pick.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

Fair question, personally I'd rather have Burns because that extra 3rd was a really late one and Howard is nowhere close to burns talent, he's only size because he is not athletic at all

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Here is del's evaluation on Howard, who you'd have settled for not drafting Burns where the Steelers did.

Xavien Howard, Baylor
Size and bulk are very tempting and he shows very good line of scrimmage skills with adequate hip action and hand action. Is more of a 2-3 second coverage guy and the longer the play lasts, the worse he gets. Cannot stick with receivers for long and often loses them downfield. Average ball awareness skills and doesn’t have a feel for when ball is in air (penalties?). Could be good red zone defender and isn’t afraid to mix things up with receivers but smaller guys are really going to give him problems. Might have to convert to more of a cover-2 zone corner. Round 2-3

Presuming the Steelers know as much about football as we do - gasp - they knew full well what their options were behind Burns. They had ZERO interest in finding out which CB may or may not be around later in the draft. It's as simple as that.