• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Draft grades from the web. Add them here.

P

POP

So proud of you that you think highly enough of yourself to make such bold declarations a day after the draft ended. That's exactly how drafts are deemed successful or not, on paper, before any of the players have set foot on the grass.

Oh, it isn't just little ole me who sees it this way: There is a world consensus that Pgh had a "C-" or "D" draft, and the rest of the div. had a "A" or "B+" draft. Do some research and you will discover the world consensus sees it this way. It has nothing to do with what I think, although, my draft grade was dead on with the world consensus, it just so happens.

1.) Burns is a raw prospect who doesn't play zone well, and we play almost all zone. He has the physical tools, so it's possible he could work out, although he won't be ready week 1. Most experts had him going in the 3rd round, not 1st.

2.) Davis is another raw DB. As a matter of fact, the second statement made by the TV crew covering the draft was, "Davis is raw....real, real raw." Most sources gave this pick a "D."

3.) Javon Hargrave was considered a solid pick, by most everyone, including me.
Hargrave brings an up-the-field presence that can pressure the quarterback. Despite playing at the FCS level, he played well every time he was on a bigger stage, including both the East-West Shrine Game and the Senior Bowl.

4.) Hawkins is another raw kid. Hopefully, we won't need him in 2016, but he is a fine pick for development and there is no one better than Munch to do that. This guy needs to hit the squat rack; his waist and lower body is too slim - he will get pushed all over the field as he is.

6.) (had no 5th) Feeney is on the small side, but he has a burst. It would be fantastic for him to replace Jarvis Jones. He should contribute to special teams right away,

7.) Ayers. A little dude with good speed. Maybe fill returner role?

7.) Matakevich. Very productive in college, but small, slow and weak. Hard to see him overcoming his weaknesses to make it in the NFL.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Grades don't "mean anything" in themselves; they are merely predictions. But sometimes predictions are correct. For instance, many gave a bad draft grade to the Dri Archer pick. They said he was far too small to amount to anything in the NFL. The draft grade given was a D or F. But you would say, "Those are just grades. They don't mean nothing."

Well, they might not have "meant nothing" but they happened to be dead on the $. See what I mean? The criticism and grading of the Archer pick may not, in themselves, "meant nothing" but as it turned out, those who gave that pick a bad grade were 100% right, and the Steeler front office missed that pick like a drunken marksman, having been spun around 20 times before he tried to shoot his gun.

The consensus around the world is the Steelers had a "C-" or "D" kind of draft.

The consensus around here is you are nothing more than a D- troll

and that's on your most productive day

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, it isn't just little ole me who sees it this way: There is a world consensus that Pgh had a "C-" or "D" draft, and the rest of the div. had a "A" or "B+" draft. Do some research and you will discover the world consensus sees it this way. It has nothing to do with what I think, although, my draft grade was dead on with the world consensus, it just so happens.well tibs just posted some drafts grades different than your "whole world consensus", there goes your argument down the toilet

1.) Burns is a raw prospect who doesn't play zone well, and we play almost all zone. He has the physical tools, so it's possible he could work out, although he won't be ready week 1. Most experts had him going in the 3rd round, not 1st.3rd round? by who? you must be confusing him with howard or someone else

2.) Davis is another raw DB. As a matter of fact, the second statement made by the TV crew covering the draft was, "Davis is raw....real, real raw." Most sources gave this pick a "D."
he's real raw, as a CB. As a Safety he's more seasoned, heck, his last year as a CB probably improved him as a safety with coverage skills

4.) Hawkins is another raw kid. Hopefully, we won't need him in 2016, but he is a fine pick for development and there is no one better than Munch to do that. This guy needs to hit the squat rack; his waist and lower body is too slim - he will get pushed all over the field as he is.

6.) (had no 5th) Feeney is on the small side, but he has a burst. It would be fantastic for him to replace Jarvis Jones. He should contribute to special teams right away,

definitly returner but with those soft hands and good route running he could help on the slot down the road
7.) Matakevich. Very productive in college, but small, slow and weak. Hard to see him overcoming his weaknesses to make it in the NFL.
special teams and depth for training camp, great character guy also
my response on red font

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
What the hell is a world consensus? I swear if you use that term again I'm gonna break something and my wife won't be happy.

there is a world consensus that he bobs for apples at the Blue Oyster Salad Bar.

I don't know what to believe or the amount of apples he corralled on his late night excursion.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
What the hell is a world consensus? I swear if you use that term again I'm gonna break something and my wife won't be happy.

that's like being pissed at the racoons for going through the garbage, they can't help it, he can't stop trolling either

ianv2012

Reaction score
that's like being pissed at the racoons for going through the garbage, they can't help it, he can't stop trolling either

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X6wIczLWZew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

don't feed it!

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
there is a world consensus...

"So please join me in confirming UN Resolution 47.8125/C proclaiming that the Pittsburgh Steelers 2016 Draft Class sucked balls."

68th+Session+UN+General+Assembly+Begins+1cPx3qgaqo1l.jpg

chipped ham

Reaction score
Oh, it isn't just little ole me who sees it this way: There is a world consensus that Pgh had a "C-" or "D" draft, and the rest of the div. had a "A" or "B+" draft. Do some research and you will discover the world consensus sees it this way. It has nothing to do with what I think, although, my draft grade was dead on with the world consensus, it just so happens.

1.) Burns is a raw prospect who doesn't play zone well, and we play almost all zone. He has the physical tools, so it's possible he could work out, although he won't be ready week 1. Most experts had him going in the 3rd round, not 1st.

Looks to me that Tibs did do some research and found some of the "bigger" sites grade the the Steelers draft no lower than a B. You are clearly delusional and making **** up just to fit your opinion, which is weak anyway. And clevelands, Cincinnati and Baltimore had as many "raw" draft picks as the steelers did. I don't wanna hear how much better those ******* teams supposedly did because it's far from true.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
noll wrote the book on the "tampa 2" and burns is the kind of corner he loved, fast and physical. he looks just like a corner noll drafted in the first round out of florida stare when he was building the steel curtain 1.0, jt Thomas. we cant just sit there and give away 15 yards at a crack in zone on third down. we have got to have some guys that are at least capable of some run and bump. thats exactly what tomlin said he liked about burns he can run and bump. i cant wait to see the new guys in the secondary i think they all are bringing something we need to the table.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
yeah EVERYONE hated the draft

Nonetheless, fans look to Mel Kiper Jr. for his insight and analysis on draft picks, and we have his grades for the 2016 Steelers draft class.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Top needs: CB, S, DL, WR

Not everyone agrees with me, but I've been pretty clear that I think the secondary is the biggest need area for the Steelers -- who are a Super Bowl contender if they get things tightened up a bit back there -- and apparently someone in that front office agrees with me. Artie Burns fills an obvious need at cornerback (where Senquez Golson is also returning), but he's not as good as William Jackson III, who Cincinnati grabbed just one spot earlier. I really like Sean Davis and he can be plugged in at safety, though I would have taken Justin Simmons at that spot. Defensive line help was a need, and Javon Hargrave has a chance to be really good. They added useful depth at offensive tackle and a potential future starter in Jerald Hawkins, and Tyler Matakevich is a good player who has a chance to make the team as a seventh-rounder. The value wasn't amazing, but they sure hit needs and got better, at least on paper

Grade: B

another worthless opinion

ark steel

Reaction score
Depends on what I figure the gap in talent between Burns and Howard is. If I think that Burns has the higher ceiling for down the road and can potentially help out in certain situations this year, I stick with my board and make the pick.

and you don't assume the offer to the Steelers was the same as what the Hags got?

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
and you don't assume the offer to the Steelers was the same as what the Hags got?

I absolutely assume that the offer the Steelers got was the same. Doesn't change my thinking at all ... If I think Burns is a way superior talent to Howard or anyone else that's left or that his ceiling is higher and he'll be still be able to help out this year, I make the pick and turn down the offer. Trading just for the sake of trading, when I believe that there's a quality player at a position of need who is significantly better than what's left or will be significantly better than what's left ... doesn't make sense to me. But then again, I'm not a draft guru and will never claim to be.

P

POP

Zealots need love too.

Any clear-thinking fan can clearly see our draft was a rotting turd, while everyone in our div. did well.

It's not the end of the world, but it's not a step in the right direction either.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/30/draft-2016-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

A, A, A vs. C-, as I have said all along. We got the 96th rated safety in the 2nd round. Geez, that sure doesn't sound like a good pick, does it.

Consensus is our draft was below average. I guess he will be good for keeping our "missed tackles" stats at the bottom of the league.

Day 2: Another good athlete with a great size-speed combo, Davis played both safety and cornerback at Maryland with mixed results. His -3.6 overall grade ranked No. 96 among safeties in the draft class, as he struggled in coverage and has missed 25 tackles over the last two years. Hargrave brings a different body type to Pittsburgh’s defensive line and he can win with a good first step. He graded well at both the East-West Shrine Game and the Senior Bowl.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Zealots need love too.

Any clear-thinking fan can clearly see our draft was a rotting turd, while everyone in our div. did well.

It's not the end of the world, but it's not a step in the right direction either.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/30/draft-2016-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

A, A, A vs. C-, as I have said all along. We got the 96th rated safety in the 2nd round. Geez, that sure doesn't sound like a good pick, does it.

Consensus is our draft was below average. I guess he will be good for keeping our "missed tackles" stats at the bottom of the league.

Apples to oranges comparison since they are using his stats as a CB and comparing those to Safety stats. What was his ranking the prior years when he played Safety? That would be a more accurate barometer since he's not coming here to play CB.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Consensus is our draft was below average.
You meant to write according to Pro Football ******* Focus our draft was below average.

P

POP

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X6wIczLWZew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

don't feed it!

You can expect a warning for posting vids. I got warnings when I did, so, I am sure, the mods, being fair and true, they will not apply double standards.

P

POP

I know it's not a web site, but the NFL Network is having a post draft show, and none of them picked the Steelers for having a good draft in the AFCN. They all took Browns, Ravens or Bengals as having the best draft in the div. No one took Pgh.

The consensus keeps getting more pronounced.

Everyone is really picking on our first two picks. Burns is a man-press guy who will be asked to play zone, something he has no experience in. Davis is big and fast, but lacks football instincts and is a terrible, sloppy tackler. That description is spot on for Scott Shields.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Zealots need love too.

Tibs and I have posted multiple well respected sites that have given the Steelers a B or better. You continue to pound this same ******* message. from the same ******* site...the "zealots" are those who despite evidence to the contrary continue to ***** and moan about what a terrible draft the Steelers had.....

Not that any of these grades means a ******* thing. much like any of the posts you make here.....

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
You can expect a warning for posting vids. I got warnings when I did, so, I am sure, the mods, being fair and true, they will not apply double standards.

you can expect to be told to go **** yourself as what you think really doesn't ******* matter

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I know it's not a web site, but the NFL Network is having a post draft show, and none of them picked the Steelers for having a good draft in the AFCN. They all took Browns, Ravens or Bengals as having the best draft in the div. No one took Pgh.

The consensus keeps getting more pronounced.

Everyone is really picking on our first two picks. Burns is a man-press guy who will be asked to play zone, something he has no experience in. Davis is big and fast, but lacks football instincts and is a terrible, sloppy tackler. That description is spot on for Scott Shields.

******* liar...........................

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Zealots need love too.

I agree. The Patriots draft was horrible. While the Dolphins, Bills, and Jets hit it out of the park!