• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Draft Grades

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So, what do you give our Steelers?

I'm giving them a solid B overall. They got arguably the best RB in the draft and 2nd best TE in the draft, both areas of need. They grabbed a C and an LT to go along with the RB and TE to help address the running game - the biggest issue for the team heading into the offseason and the draft. Then they got some good depth. Loudermilke is a head-scratcher but Roche was a nice snag in the 6th. Should get some rotational reps at some point this year even. And, I actually like the punter. If the O line can keep Ben upright and block a little better for runs than last year, Ben is going to have a lot of fun with all these weapons he now has. Not sure who can cover our WR's, Ebron, Freiermuthe and Harris if they are all in there.

Steelmann

Reaction score
I don't know why we wait so long. We should hand out the draft grades before the draft starts.
Says the guy who probably did 500 mock drafts.
It’s what you do during draft time. Mock drafts, draft grades, who’s going to trade where.
Speculation.
It’s all in fun. 🙃🙂

steelhurt

Reaction score
I really liked this draft and think it filled lots of holes. I think Najee and Pat F. are going to be beasts and fit the toughness of this team.
My A&M guys (my alma mater) make me proud and these two guys are ballers and nasty players. I loved these two picks.
Green fits the same mold as my Aggies and could see him as a starter sooner than later.
And Roche in the sixth was an absolute steal and will come in with attitude and something to prove.
Grading at this point, who knows! I mean you can say that about all 32 teams right?
It looks to me like an A but thats just what I think I see but we won’t know for a couple seasons.
Coach will be upset if I don’t mention the punter. Hay, he did win the Ray Guy award. He will certainly be given his chance to push the Aussie out.

Steelmann

Reaction score
So in the spirit of the draft process, I would give them a B. I have to admit that at most selections I was calling for a different player and or position.
But upon reflection I see their thought process and don’t necessarily disagree. Time will tell of course. It would have been perhaps higher but for the 4th rounder given up. That will piss us off next year.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Solid "B" yet able to rise . Pretty sure of at least 2 starters and I was hoping for three. If we get the third starter than "A" would be my grade.

Salute the nation

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Incomplete. The first two picks should be able to contribute in starting/key roles immediately. Green has a chance to start early in the season. The two fourth rounders may end up as the extra blocker in jumbo sets and a contributor on special teams. I view Loudermilk as a developmental piece. But, we've seen those types at his position be called upon to get a lot of playing time the last few years; so, he'd better be ready to get after it. Roche is intriguing. All the analysts say the athleticism is lower end. In my mind, you can't argue with his production. Don't have much on Norwood or the punter. I guess the punter has a good chance to win a job this Summer though.
Thing is, we won't know what these guys could possibly develop into until they hit training camp.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I want to say B. I liked that they got the 5th from Miami but that would have been a perfect area for a corner or in the 4th. It has potential to be A or C depending on development. I don't see any issues with Harris or Pat their talent level makes it at least a C+ or B-. Obviously this is premature but I can see they targeted athletic and physical. I dig their approach.

CorpusDsteelers

Reaction score
A. If you include the punter I think by mid or late season we could see 5 starters! Harris, TE once Ebron drops a bunch of balls which he will and go to the doghouse again, center maybe day one like Harris. And ILB buddy taking over for Vince. That’s a solid draft.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
SI graded us a C+
PFF graded us a C
nfl.com graded us an A
Sporting News graded us B+
Pro Football Network graded us B-

I give it a B. Drafted Harris - first priorities after that shoulda been replacing OL/C. Guys to fit that bill were available in the 2nd round. Green in the 3rd was fine. Not sure if they did enough to address the secondary.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I'll break my grade down 3 ways:
  1. Team Need-how well did the Steelers address a whole on the roster.
  2. Value-what is the value of the position and were there better options available.
  3. Player Potential-how good do I think this player could be down the line.
1. Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
Team Need-A

The Steelers didn't have a starter in the running back room. With a strong OL, Snell could've been a part of a RBBC. McFarland did not impress as a rookie. Harris fills an immediate need and is an instant starter.
Value-C+
Running backs are bad investments in the first round. They are one-contract players. If you include the option year and franchise tag, you have them for 6 years. Other positions just begin to hit their prime at that age. They passed on a potential No. 1 corner (Newsome), center (Dickerson), tackles (Jenkins, Cosmi), and coverage LB (JOK).
Player Potential-A
He's going to be good. The best all-around back in the draft and would've easily been the top back last year as well. I expect a very productive career and top-5 back potential.
Overall Grade: B

2. Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State
Team Need-B

The Steelers have a starter in Eric Ebron, but he is limited as a receiver only as he offers nothing in the blocking department. He's also a UFA after this season. It wasn't an immediate need, but the Steelers needed a long-term starter.
Value-B-
Like running back, tight end isn't a premium position, especially in the Steelers offense. They like their receivers and workhorse running backs. At best, a tight end would be a No. 4 option, but is more likely a No. 5 option in recent years. The upside with value is he is the No. 2 TE on the board and fits what the Steelers like. Outside of Creed Humphrey, the only other potential options here were Jalen Mayfield and Aaron Robinson, possibly Paulson Adebo.
Player Potential-B+
All-around tight end with good size. Doesn't have elite athleticism which will limit him, but I've seen upside comparisons to Witten and Ertz. That would be outstanding production from a second-round pick.

3. Kendrick Green, C, Illinois
Team Need-A

Center was the top need on the team and although some like BJ Finney, the offense would be in trouble if he is the starter Week 1.
Value-B+
Green was pegged right in this area of the draft. There was some who had him in the fourth, but third is the right spot. The Steelers really couldn't afford to wait any longer with Myers also off the board. Possibly the only question is if you preferred Quinn Meinerz. Given the Steelers wanted P5 players and a specific scheme fit, Green appeared to be their top option.
Player Potential-B
Productive in college who has a "nasty" demeanor, Green is supposed to be one of the most athletic center prospects in recent years. He's a bit undersized and may have trouble against massive IDL, but his athleticism and pulling ability make him stand out.
Overall Grade: B+

4a. Dan Moore Jr., OT, Texas A&M
Team Need-A-

The Steelers have depth at tackle with Banner, Okorafor, and Haeg, but none of it is quality right now. Maybe under a new OC, technique, and scheme they'll improve, but this team needed better talent at LT.
Value-B-
Moore was ranked a bit all over the place. There are some who had him much lower while other analysts loved him at this spot in the draft. I gave it a lower value mark for a couple of reasons. First, an immediate upgrade was needed and Moore is probably at least a year away if he ever develops into a starter. The Steelers also passed up a couple of good prospects at other positions of need including Rashad Weaver and Tre Brown. Both had potential to contribute in situational downs on the defense as rookies.
Player Potential-B-
Moore fits the new blocking scheme and seems to have potential as a swing guard/tackle. However, he is a fourth-round pick and we've seen what the Steelers have done with Okorafor (3rd) and Banner (4th).

4b. Buddy Johnson, ILB, Texas A&M
Team Need-C+

The Steelers needed help at ILB, but they needed another capable in coverage. Johnson brings a little speed to the table, but is in the same mold as Williams and Spillane. He isn't going to jump them for playing time this year.
Value-C-
As stated above, he's in the mold of a two-down linebacker and he was ranked a bit lower on most draft analyst sites. I take that with a grain of salt, but the upside here seems limited.
Player Potential-C-
At best he develops into a solid starter next to Bush, but this feels like a special teams/backup player in this situation. Nothing wrong with that either.
Overall Grade: C

5. Isaiahh Loudermilk, DL, Wisconsin
Team Need-D

Defensive line was probably the deepest area on the team. With that said, it's always good to replenish the talent.
Value-F
The Steelers just like to throw away fifth-round picks with bizarre player selections. On top of that, they used a fourth next year to do it. I just don't understand this move.
Player Potential-D
Loudermilk seems like a good guy who will work toward getting better. He's also very limited athletically so he is going to need to be a technician at the next level. This feels like a 2-3 year project with practice squad potential unless he surprises us.
Overall Grade: D-

6. Quncy Roche, EDGE, Miami
Team Need-A

There is no depth behind Watt and Highsmith. There still may be a need to add a veteran, but the Steelers had to come away with a young player.
Value-A
Roche was extremely productive in college, just limited athletically. He doesn't have the explosive step of high draft picks and instead relies on his pass rushing moves. He seemed like a 4th rounder, so getting this type of player in the 6th is terrific value.
Player Potential-B-
It's tough to make it as a pass rusher when you're a late-round pick. However, the Steelers have done a good job setting up their players in position to succeed in recent years. If Ola and Chickillo can stick around for a few years without any production, Roche could certainly match that.

7a. Tre Norwood, CB, Oklahoma
Team Need-A

There is a big need with depth at cornerback and safety. Norwood fills both area.
Value-A
This is about where he was slotted in the draft.
Player Potential-C
Norwood isn't particularly fast, which may limit him at CB. If he has CB/S potential, it will increase his odds of sticking around as a backup. The Steelers have kept around unproductive safeties for years.

7b. Pressley Harvin III, P, Georgia Tech
Team Need-A-

The Steelers struggled in this area last year and tried to upgrade, but ended up going back to Berry.
Value-A-
I had the Steelers taking a punter in multiple mock drafts in the final round. It's not really a position you need to draft, but if you're able to get one of the top 2-3 players at the position without having to risk losing him to another team as an UDFA, why not? He was the top punter in college football last year.
Player Potential-B
You never know how punters will translate, but he did throw a touchdown pass.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
SI graded us a C+
PFF graded us a C
nfl.com graded us an A
Sporting News graded us B+
Pro Football Network graded us B-

I give it a B. Drafted Harris - first priorities after that shoulda been replacing OL/C. Guys to fit that bill were available in the 2nd round. Green in the 3rd was fine. Not sure if they did enough to address the secondary.

Can anybody find a single person who in 1974 or even 1975 graded the Steelers' 1974 draft as the best in history? Yeah, thought so.

Or any "expert" who described the 1992 draft as incredibly good? Nope.

How about more recently - what grade did the Steelers get for the 2017 draft that produced an All-Pro, perennial defensive player of the year candidate, Pro-Bowl WR?

Mel Kiper thought it was a B+ draft. Okay. The best defensive player in that draft - TJ Watt - at THIRTY?!?

Troll through some of these "experts" and their draft rankings in years past. What a joke. Seriously, just pick some ratings at random. I picked 2017 because of Watt, Smith-Schuster, Conner and Sutton.

Know who did great in that draft? The NE Cheaters. B+ due to the following selections:

Draft picks: Derek Rivers (No. 83 overall), Antonio Garcia (No. 85 overall), Deatrich Wise (No. 130 overall), Conor McDermott (No. 211 overall)

Oh, **** yeah, Derek Rivers and Antonio Garcia? Holy ****, then Deatrich Wise?!? What a freaking HAUL!!

FordFairLane

Reaction score
#24- Najee Harris RB Alabama- A
Need, good value, there’s nothing negative about this pick.

#55- Pat Freiermuth TE PSU- A
Need, good value, nothing is wrong with this pick.

#87- Kendrick Green OC Illinois- B
Need, value is subjective, had better options in the second. But I feel Green will sit behind BJ this season and if he develops should become the starter in 2022.

#128- Dan Moore Jr. OT Texas A&M- B
Need, value is here as he was rated as a 4th round prospect. Enough athleticism to be a LT but depending on what happens with Chuks and Banner probably determines where he plays. If both get resigned he’ll be the swing tackle for depth.

#140- Buddy Johnson LB Texas A&M- C
I want to say Buddy Johnson SPARQ score was top 3 at the position. He had decent production in the running game and blitzing but kinda a liability in pass coverage at this point. Isn’t a real need IMO with Bush, Bince, Spillane, Allen, and Gilbert all coming back. That said he has the athleticism to really become something special.

#156- Isaiahh Loudermilk DL Wisconsin- C
I don’t mind the pick and we definitely need a guy next year but I feel he might have been there in the 6th round and we technically used a 4th on him. His greatest asset is his height and length. He uses that to knock down balls at the LOS. We really won’t know what we have until 2022 here.

#216- Quincy Roche Edge Miami- B
Very good production and I feel he’ll be that Chickillo type player who you can rotate in or spot start but won’t be much more than that and likely plays out his rookie contract and then signs elsewhere. Good value this late but I personally go with potential later in the draft. Steelers like to go high floor guys where I’m more of a high ceiling guy.

#245- Tre Norwood CB Oklahoma- C+
Another high floor guy. I feel Norwood, Shakur Brown and Mark Gilbert fight it out for the nickel/dime spots. All three are similar players with each having their own strengths and weaknesses. Tre probably is your safest bet as he has the combination of size, production, and athleticism of the other 2. Shakur is probably the most polished but has some athleticism concerns. Gilbert has the most potential as he has the athleticism and has had success but his injury history is a huge red flag.

#254- Pressley Harvin III P GA Tech- C
I had a feeling we’d be interested in a punter this year and I like Harvin. But I expected 1 or 2 off the board by now. But James Smith and Max Duffy went undrafted so I feel with our punter situation we probably snag one of the top three as an UDFA. That said Harvin fits exactly what the Steelers like from their punter. Gets the ball in the air quick to prevent blocks.

Overall I give the Steelers a B+. They hit early and then faded a little later in the draft. That’s pretty typical for the Steelers though.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
It takes five years to grade a draft.... the best you can grade is value... the Steelers often reach to get the guys they want these days, so they get mediocre to poor grades.

if every player hits for them they vault into an extremely solid team... any flubs leaves them potentially shallow at the position with little cap space to fix it...
they got a first round rb, which is never good value, but they got a second round TE that could be a long time starter....

Their two oline picks were solid scheme fits and both could be great values in time.....but both have questions that will draw most national draft grades down some

they had a couple very questionable picks in the 4th and fifth... but the sixth had great value, and the cb gambles in the 7th and tge two udfas are all magnificent upside gets.... id bet one or two contributes some this year

ill give it a C+ to a B- on value now, but long term they probably get four starters from it and get an A or AMinus depending on how top end they end up

Steelz

Reaction score
I'm giving them a solid A+. We got 3 day one starters from this draft and maybe 4 if the punter wins the job. Then we got good depth at positions we needed. Plus atleast 2 of the new starters will already be a huge upgrade from who we had last year. I think this was overall a great draft.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm giving them a solid A+. We got 3 day one starters from this draft and maybe 4 if the punter wins the job. Then we got good depth at positions we needed. Plus atleast 2 of the new starters will already be a huge upgrade from who we had last year. I think this was overall a great draft.
I would say two day one starters. Who is your third? Not that it isn't possible. But they have to prove it in training camp...

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I would say two day one starters. Who is your third? Not that it isn't possible. But they have to prove it in training camp...
Najee, Freirmuth (First play from scrimmage on opening drive will be a running play out of a two TE set), probably Green sometime early in the season and the punter; can't forget the punter

Steelz

Reaction score
I'm thinking the first 3 picks, Harris at RB, Baby Gronk at TE, and Green at Center. Freiermuth should start day one opposite of Ebron in 2 TE situations we did alot last year with Mcdonald, probably will overtake the top TE spot if Ebron continues with the drops. And Green at Center is almost automatic with only Hassenauer listed as the only other Center on the roster right now.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Harris is guaranteed starter. The new C is not guaranteed to start. He was a third round pick for a reason. If he is not better than what we have we are in trouble. The TE will be TE#2. I don't see him overtaking Ebron at least this year. Hopefully he sees the field a good amount. The punter is also not guaranteed to beat Berry. He is a unique talent, but first and foremost he has to kick the ball well. I give the draft a B- if Green falters the grade will be much lower because we did not address the line earlier.