• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Draft Grades

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
This draft was solid all around, earns high marks in my book.

Let's start with the rather obvious fact the Steelers needed to completely rebuild the run game. Not only were they last in rushing in the league last year, but Art Rooney made it abundantly clear what the task was for Colbert & Tomlin after the pitiful end to last season.

So they canned Fichtner & the OL coach, hung James Connor & Villeneuva out to dry in FA, and Pouncey & Vance retired. No RB on this roster was anywhere close to being the type of alpha male RB1 Rooney & Tomlin desire. As far as the line, they felt pretty good about Chuks & Banner on the outside, DeCastro & Dotson on the inside. In Ebron, they had a nice, athletic TE but hardly an in-line, multi-purpose TE like the Steelers have always had, ie Bruener/Miller, etc.

So that set the stage for the draft. Whatever perceived holes they had elsewhere, the mandate was fixing the running game, finding a ready-to-play option at RB, TE and C.

And lo and behold, they went out and got the job done, drafting the #1 RB, #2 TE and #3-4 C on the board.

All three of those guys are penciled in to start right away, or at the minimum, see plenty of time on the field. I'd use Freirmuth as my TE1 and Ebron as my pass-catching TE2.

Then, in the 4th they bring in Dan Moore who slots in as their swing tackle, reinforcing the line.

Buddy Johnson will push VWill to start next the Bush, or worse case, will rotate in and be a ST staple. The kid was team captain, green dot on D, highly experienced.

So if you just stop there, this draft is - on paper - already a huge success. It's rare to plug this many holes in one draft. All these players come from big time programs, are plenty experienced, have a good shot to help immediately, all at critical positions of need.

Throw the rest of the rookies and UDFA's into the mix, there may be some pleasant surprises there too.

The joker card is this Loudermilk kid. Who knows what they saw in him collectively to not only draft him in the 5th, but go out of their way to do so. Tomlin saw it, Colbert saw it, Butler saw it and Dunbar saw it. There was a collective grade they put on this kid, which as of now, doesn't seem to show up on tape or in scouting reports. But the fact is, they aggressively went after this kid. It should give us all pause, that maybe, just maybe, they know something we don't & that we should trust the process.

And to a lesser degree, the other wildcard is OLB Quincy Roche. This kid fell to a perfect spot in the 6th, to provide a much-needed back-up to TJ & Highsmith. He too, could shift this draft class to something special, if he's on the field as a critical sub package guy, helping us win games.

So I don't care what Mel Kiper or other draft gurus think about this draft class. For anyone who knows what ailed us last season, having Ben throwing the ball 40-50 times, no rest for the D, the team petering-out at the end of the season with no run game... this past weekend should give us a lot of hope & excitement for what's to come.

I grade this draft a rock solid A. Great job Colbert, Tomlin and all the coaches & scouts. Job well done, gentlemen.

ps - and I didn't even mention grabbing the Ray Guy award-winning, best punter in the class with their last pick. This dude is something else. 👀
pss - I expect we'll see a veteran CB (or two) being brought in between now and Sept, to help shore-up depth there. Which frankly is the preferred option seeing how we've had a terrible time drafting corners. Maybe they waved the white flag when it comes to drafting CB's and said **** it we suck at this. Let's just go find some FA corners...lol.

Last edited:

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
And a quick note on the Najee pick, which may have already been hashed out, just haven't seen it. If we don't grab Harris at #24, we would have lost out on all three blue-chip RB's (Harris, Etienne and Javonte Williams) by the time our 2nd round pick rolled around.

We would've been left licking our wounds and wading through a bunch of middling backs w plenty of warts in the middle rounds who may or may not have been a step up from what we already have on the roster.

That's why they ran the Najee Harris pick to the podium.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
And a quick note on the Najee pick, which may have already been hashed out, just haven't seen it. If we don't grab Harris at #24, we would have lost out on all three blue-chip RB's (Harris, Etienne and Javonte Williams) by the time our 2nd round pick rolled around.

We would've been left licking our wounds and wading through a bunch of middling backs w plenty of warts in the middle rounds who may or may not have been a step up from what we already have on the roster.

That's why we ran the Najee Harris pick to the podium.
He definitely was the safest of the top 3. I think with Connor gone the Steelers didn’t want to mess around. Get your Bell cow and move on filling out the needs.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I wasn't too happy about them not addressing the oline with either of the first two picks, but I like Harris and Freirmuth, and Green and Moore seem like legit line prospects, both guys who may have been drafted higher other years.

Trading the 4th to take Loudermilk is questionable to me, though.

B- for me.

Steelz

Reaction score
And lo and behold, they went out and got the job done, drafting the #1 RB, #2 TE and #3-4 C on the board.
And not to mention getting them where we got them at the tail end of each round (ATLEAST the 24th pick of each round) is pretty remarkable

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Harris is guaranteed starter. The new C is not guaranteed to start. He was a third round pick for a reason. If he is not better than what we have we are in trouble. The TE will be TE#2. I don't see him overtaking Ebron at least this year. Hopefully he sees the field a good amount. The punter is also not guaranteed to beat Berry. He is a unique talent, but first and foremost he has to kick the ball well. I give the draft a B- if Green falters the grade will be much lower because we did not address the line earlier.
Not impossible for a 3rd rounder to start it happens. **** sometimes undrafted players end up storming on the scene. It wouldn't be a slight to Finney. But let us be honest the man is a stop gap starter. It isn't a question if Green will start it is just a matter of when.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
We got the best RB in the draft and probably the best in the last couple or three drafts apparently, the 2nd best TE and 3 best C, who also can play G. The 3 will be instant impact players, then you have a swing OT, the backup OLB and defensive back depth. Plus competition for Punter and a project that I don't really care much about right now.
The UDFAs taken were pretty interesting

Overall a B that could move to A+ if the OT pans out because that meant that getting the playmakers first was the best path as they had top gems scouted in the mid rounds

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
We got the best RB in the draft and probably the best in the last couple or three drafts apparently, the 2nd best TE and 3 best C, who also can play G. The 3 will be instant impact players, then you have a swing OT, the backup OLB and defensive back depth. Plus competition for Punter and a project that I don't really care much about right now.
The UDFAs taken were pretty interesting

Overall a B that could move to A+ if the OT pans out because that meant that getting the playmakers first was the best path as they had top gems scouted in the mid rounds

Agreed Litos. And don't forget about Buddy Johnson. The more I see - and hear - of this kid, the more I like him. I think the spot next to Devin Bush is more open than any of us realize. I mean, Spillane showed some flashes as a spot starter, but seems better suited for a back-up/ST role. They basically let VWill walk, who only came back after taking a significant pay cut. He's getting long in the tooth, but is the perfect veteran guy you want - and need - in the room. Ulysses Gilbert & Marcus Allen are fill-in, stop-gap players who have plenty of warts & injury concerns. There are a lot of bodies there on the depth chart, but it would not shock me at all if they gave Johnson every opportunity this summer, see how much he can pick-up from VWill and how comfortable he can get with this defense. By all accounts, he's a born leader, a sharp, highly vocal, experienced inside backer. He seems to be a much better pick than what the Steelers are getting credit for.

We may have quietly drafted the perfect compliment piece to Bush in the 4th round, and just haven't realized it.

We'll see how that pans out, but I think Buddy is a more significant pick than how it's being viewed right now. Just a hunch.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Says the guy who probably did 500 mock drafts.

What do mock drafts even remotely have to do with draft grades? Entirely different animal.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Harris is guaranteed starter. The new C is not guaranteed to start.
You wanna bet?
They're going to throw everything they have at that kid to get him ready to start; Tyson, Cam, Tuitt, Buggs, Loudermilk, every camp body. He's going to get personal instruction from Klemm and daily assignments. "Iron sharpens Iron" and all that. Nobody associated with the Steelers wants to see a season of J.C. and Finney starting at C.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Honestly, I’m not worried if Finney opens as the starter or even starts all year. That is why they signed him. If Green starts in 2022 he’s a great draft pick.

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, I’m not worried if Finney opens as the starter or even starts all year. That is why they signed him. If Green starts in 2022 he’s a great draft pick.

Yeah, I'm with Steeltime on this. I'd be willing to bet Kendrick Green is gonna storm in and grab that starting C spot and never look back. Finney will slide in to his ideal spot as back-up C/OG, glad we got him back. Green is an alpha dog, a high-energy fireball, a leader of the pack. I think the OL is gonna embrace & gravitate towards him.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with Steeltime on this. I'd be willing to bet Kendrick Green is gonna storm in and grab that starting C spot and never look back. Finney will slide in to his ideal spot as back-up C/OG, glad we got him back. Green is an alpha dog, a high-energy fireball, a leader of the pack. I think the OL is gonna embrace & gravitate towards him.
It will be great if he comes in and dominates and takes the spot. I mean with Finney we know what we have. He’s a grinder who has powerful hands and a good leg base. Not fancy but he’s not bad by any means. I mean I honestly thought he outplayed Pouncey in 18/19. So if Green comes out of Illinois and takes the starting job he’s earned it.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I don't think many second-guess the Harris pick. We question the Freiermuth pick when Creed Humphrey was available. Humphrey is very talented, shows elite athletic skills, and would be a day 1 starter at an important position. Really did not follow the thinking behind the pick. First, the importance of the position, center > tight end. Second, in terms of college production, Humphrey > Freiermuth. Third, in terms of scheme fit and athletic showing, once again Humphrey > Freiermuth. Steelers want their centers to be powerful, but quick, able to pull, smart to call blocking.

Guess who called the blocking for Oklahoma in 2018 as a sophomore for a line that had four linemen drafted into the NFL and was voted the best offensive line in college? Guess who has been a wrestler for more than 15 years and has great hand fighting skills? Guess who showed quickness, power in his pro day? Humphrey is a guy who would take the position for the next 10 years.

Last edited:

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think many second-guess the Harris pick. We question the Freiermuth pick when Creed Humphrey was available. Humphrey is very talented, shows elite athletic skills, and would be a day 1 starter at an important position. Really did not follow the thinking behind the pick. First, the importance of the position, center > tight end. Second, in terms of college production, Humphrey > Freiermuth. Third, in terms of scheme fit and athletic showing, once again Humphrey > Freiermuth. Steelers want their centers to be powerful, but quick, able to pull, smart to call blocking.

Guess who called the blocking for Oklahoma in 2018 as a sophomore for a line that had four linemen drafted into the NFL and was voted the best offensive line in college? Guess who has been a wrestler for more than 15 years and has great hand fighting skills? Guess who showed quickness, power in his pro day? Humphrey is a guy who would take the position for the next 10 years.
Thought you were talking about Green, who took third place in the Illinois State High School Wrestling Championships, had the fastest 40 time and the quickest 10 yard split of any draft eligible interior lineman who participated in a pro day, and squats over 700 lbs. OH! And Green posted better numbers in the vertical and broad jump than Humphrey. I'd say the 10 yd split, vertical and broad jump numbers point to the kid having explosive quickness. Humphrey did have a better bench than Green (29 reps v 25 reps) but, that's almost a negligible difference.
I mean, we'll see what Green has, but as far as measurables go, the kid isn't some stiff lagging behind Creed.

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Centers often either sit their rookie year or play guard until everyone is comfortable they know the scheme enough to not get guys destroyed

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Thought you were talking about Green, who took third place in the Illinois State High School Wrestling Championships, had the fastest 40 time and the quickest 10 yard split of any draft eligible interior lineman who participated in a pro day, and squats over 700 lbs. OH! And Green posted better numbers in the vertical and broad jump than Humphrey. I'd say the 10 yd split, vertical and broad jump numbers point to the kid having explosive quickness. Humphrey did have a better bench than Green (29 reps v 25 reps) but, that's almost a negligible difference.
I mean, we'll see what Green has, but as far as measurables go, the kid isn't some stiff lagging behind Creed.

Nice post Buckeye. Green is as athletic as they come at that position. I think his alpha dog attitude is what impressed the Steelers the most, along with his athleticism. While Steeltime makes some legit points, I think what factored into the 2nd round pick was that Freiermuth was heads and tails above any other TE out there, while the gap between Humphrey, Green and other C's was narrower. Simply, there was a bit more depth at C that the Steelers felt good enough they'd be able to get one in the 3rd, which allowed them to grab Freiermuth in the 2nd. Turns out they were right, thank God.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
When it comes to the Steelers draft, it just depends on what you value. The Steelers got the top RB in the 1st and the consensus No. 2 TE in the second. Their only reach was in the 5th and that came at the expense of a future No. 4, but Roche was a 6th-round steal. By just about everything I read, draft analysts believe Harris, Freiermuth, Green, and Moore can develop into good players. Talent wasn't the problem.

The low marks are the result of position value. On the skill position hierarchy on offense, it goes QB, WR, TE, and RB. When you factor in defensive players, TE and RB are two of the least valuable positions in football. Center is the least valuable position on the offensive line (though I'd argue against that for the Steelers). Those positions were the top three picks while the team had needs at LT and outside CB as well--two premium positions. If the Steelers went some combination of C, CB, LT, they would've earned A's across the board.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Not into giving grades as it takes at least 3 years to know, for sure, what you have. I was surprised that we passed on T's and C's early who could have been plug and play players. Tombert must have a higher opinion of our o-line and secondary than most of us here.

I will be cheering for each and every pick to succeed. I think that, 3 years from now, we will view this draft in one of two ways: sneaky brilliant, or the draft the finally did in the Tombert regime.

Last edited: