• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Dri 2.0

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
they wanted Darren Sproles with more speed, they got Stefan Logan without the return skills.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I had higher hopes for Archer but I definitely did not like how we utilized him last year. When Bell got hurt and they had him stay in pass protection when he was literally taken out of pass protection drills in camp so had 0% chance of being able to take on a LB on a blitz. If there's a Blitz I would rather move the TE, FB, or change the o-lines blocking assignments and just put Archer out as a receiver. Having him block a 250lbs LB is just crazy. Have him go out in coverage and make the defense account for him. And he should be a check down to Ben running a drag route so if the primary receive isn't open you can dump it to Archer and hope he finds some space for a big play.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
to be more durable and maybe if early he does well with 5-6 touches if that's the plan it should motivate him to hit the gym and report at at least 182 to camp to get more touches at least 8-9, 5 catch and run 2 tosses and 2 well practiced screens.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I have hope, too. Not a lot, but a rookie that was drafted 97th in the draft and didn't contribute much his rookie year? Doesn't surprise me a whole lot. I'm not too hung up on the "He's a third round pick" when it was essentially late 3rd/early 4th pick.

This may generate 25 pages in itself...

T

TAS

Let me know when you get to page 200 I'll come back and sift through the bullshit.

ark steel

Reaction score
So late 1st round picks are essentially 2nd round picks? It's funny watching people try make his draft selection more palatable by changing the round he was selected in.

Actually, I see the opposite. How many times, on this very board, have you seen people refer to picks 31 or 32 as similar to early second round picks or picks 33 or 34 as similar to late 1st round picks?

I see people harping on the "it is a third round pick" as if pick 97 is the same as a pick in the middle to early 3rd round so that it sounds worse. It is a very late 3rd round pick.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So late 1st round picks are essentially 2nd round picks?

what's the difference between Teddy Bridgewater and Xavier Su'a-Filo (aside from playing position)?

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Dri Archer? I looooooooove Dri Archer! Can't wait to see him hit the field next season. As Haley points out, he'll have a whole off-season to add core strength, build on his rookie year and settle into the system. He's gonna kill it, I tell you!

Wingman

Reaction score
We got him so I hope he can perform some magic. I thought it was a dumb pick just based on his size. I hope they find a way to get something from this selection. If you can justify his pick because he will get 5 or 6 touches a game should we have looked at a kicker or punter here as they generally get something close to that as well.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
I just don't think he will make a contribution this year and eventually be a yet another wasted pick.

The Steelers certainly don't "waste" any more picks than other teams do. If a team hit on 75% of their picks every year for all 7 Rounds, they would be perennial Superbowl Champs because their roster would be loaded. However, nobody does that. If you hit on 50% of them every year you're doing very well.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
It's funny watching people try make his draft selection more palatable by changing the round he was selected in.

Almost as funny as watching other people try so desperately to make other selections seem unpalatable because they got burned on them and are trying to justify themselves.

Wingman

Reaction score
I believe we have been hitting on two out of seven on occasion. Sometimes 0 out of 7. Last year, although early to tell we may have hits with Tuitt, Bryant, McCullers, and Shazier. The others the jury is still out on. The first two look like solid contributors that could be good starters at this point. The second two might turn into something as well as there have been some indication they might develop as Shazier got dinged up and was not able to play as much as desired, and Big Dan was a project.

In reality last year might have been the best draft we have had in a long time.

Vader

Reaction score
Actually, I see the opposite. How many times, on this very board, have you seen people refer to picks 31 or 32 as similar to early second round picks or picks 33 or 34 as similar to late 1st round picks?

I see people harping on the "it is a third round pick" as if pick 97 is the same as a pick in the middle to early 3rd round so that it sounds worse. It is a very late 3rd round pick.

So is it a 3rd round pick or is it a 4th round pick. It isn't hard to answer. He was a 3rd round pick. Trying to justify wasting the pick on small RB by call it "really a 4th round pick" is just trying to make the pick seem more palatable. Nobody ever said it was the same as a middle of the 3rd pick. But hell you could say that about any late round pick. Heyward was a late round pick so he isn't really a 1st rounder? See how ignorant that sounds? He's a first rounder even if he isn't in the middle or the first half of the 1st round.

what's the difference between Teddy Bridgewater and Xavier Su'a-Filo (aside from playing position)?

I'm not playing games with you. If you have a real question then ask it. I'm not going round and round about which player was selected before and after other players. The fact is that Archer is a small RB with no position in the NFL. Unless Bridgewater and Xavier fit that definition then it has no bearing on this discussion.

Almost as funny as watching other people try so desperately to make other selections seem unpalatable because they got burned on them and are trying to justify themselves.

To bad that doesn't describe me. I haven't been burned on Archer. He is exactly what I said he was going to be. But obviously I hit a nerve with you. So I guess my definition fits you to a T?

T

TAS

Can you elaborate?

This could be a real knee slapper.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he isn't heavy enough to trigger the land mines and can infiltrate!

This is todays Winarrrrr!

Congratulations you have made DBS chuckle.

ark steel

Reaction score
So is it a 3rd round pick or is it a 4th round pick. It isn't hard to answer. He was a 3rd round pick. Trying to justify wasting the pick on small RB by call it "really a 4th round pick" is just trying to make the pick seem more palatable. Nobody ever said it was the same as a middle of the 3rd pick. But hell you could say that about any late round pick. Heyward was a late round pick so he isn't really a 1st rounder? See how ignorant that sounds? He's a first rounder even if he isn't in the middle or the first half of the 1st round.

I'm not playing games with you. If you have a real question then ask it. I'm not going round and round about which player was selected before and after other players. The fact is that Archer is a small RB with no position in the NFL. Unless Bridgewater and Xavier fit that definition then it has no bearing on this discussion.

To bad that doesn't describe me. I haven't been burned on Archer. He is exactly what I said he was going to be. But obviously I hit a nerve with you. So I guess my definition fits you to a T?

You are absolutely right. Only a fool would think otherwise.

GarrettG

Reaction score
So late 1st round picks are essentially 2nd round picks? It's funny watching people try make his draft selection more palatable by changing the round he was selected in.

The fact is always the same... who do you take the ball away from so he can get touches? You want Brown, Bell, Wheaton, etc... not getting as many touches because a 5'7 170 lbs. RB doesn't have a real position. This is what happens when you draft a guy solely because of a 40 time.

Bingo...there's an opportunity cost at work here. It takes the ball away from the real playmakers.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
OI1t9xj.jpg

Toting the rock for the hard yards