• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ebron is the 1; Who’s Tight End Number 2?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Last season, the Pittsburgh Steelers made their biggest splash of the off-season by signing tight end Eric Ebron to a two-year $12 million deal, stealing him away from another AFC opponent in the Indianapolis Colts. That move did wonders for this football team last year and it showed. That elite tight end presence was something that this team had been missing out on in years past and was something that the team obviously put on the top of their priority list for this offense. In doing so, Ebron returned the favor by putting up respectable statistics throughout the 2020 season. He and Ben Roethlisberger‘s connection was one that took a little time to develop, but when it was time, Ebron came through.

In 15 games in the black and gold, Ebron was targeted 91 times, catching 56 receptions for 558 yards and 5 touchdowns. He proved to be a valuable target not only in the red zone, but in the open field as well. He flashed his playmaking abilities after the catch was made and proved to be a reliable target for the passing game throughout the season. Ebron’s only struggle throughout his career has been taking care of the football, something that he improved on in 2020, but still left some room to grow in this area for the upcoming season. I think all of Steeler Nation would love to see Ebron produce at a more efficient rate on a more consistent level, but for his first season in Pittsburgh, I would call the signing a success.

That being said, there is not much depth to this position much past Ebron himself. With Vance McDonald announcing his retirement after the 2020 season, the Steelers are left with minimal talent at the tight end position. Right now on the depth chart, listed is Ebron as the starter, followed by 3rd year TE Zach Gentry, Charles Clifford-Jones, Dax Raymond and Kevin Radar. Obviously, these are guys who are not household names, but all four haven’t gotten enough playing time to really gauge how each individual’s talents would translate to the NFL. Who’s to say these guys won’t get their fair shot?

Gentry, was a 5th round draft pick back in 2019 out of the University of Michigan. Gentry was an intriguing pick standing at 6’8″, 265 pounds, the perfect body type for a tight end. Speaking for myself, when he was drafted, I did expect to see more of Gentry the past couple of seasons then what we have so far. He has only been active and played in a total of 5 games throughout his career, with very minimal stats to back up his play. That’s not to say there aren’t opportunities available, with Mcdonald’s retirement, there is an opening as the #2 tight end, and so far, as I sit here writing this today, it looks like Gentry might be the frontrunner to take that spot.

There is not much to go off of in regards to Clifford-Jones, Raymond and Radar. All three have been with the team’s practice squad and have had the time to familiarize themselves with the playbook. That in itself goes a long way in determining whether or not a player stays on the roster when the competition opens up during OTA’s. Whether or not that competition will be with the guys the Steelers have in house already, or with players they intend to bring in from outside the organization at this point in time is still left up in the air. Many free agents have already found their football homes for the upcoming year including guys who sat atop the free agent tight end list, so it might be safe to say that the free agent avenue is closed.

That still leaves the draft process as the prime time to go after a player to fill the role in 2021. The team’s plans offensively have been kept quiet, due to the hire of new offensive coordinator Matt Canada, so all of Steeler Nation can only predict what they expect this 2021 Steelers offense to look like. With many teams transitioning to more two tight ends sets, I do think it is safe to say that the Steelers will address this need in some way during this off-season.

The Steelers themselves have already concluded meetings with many top TE prospects with a month still left to go in the draft process. With other positions of need being atop the Steelers list that serve as a higher priority, this won’t be something they address early in the draft. Although, I do think they will attempt to go after prospects with a late to mid round pick on a guy who they think will fit their system well, but these questions will be answered just a few short weeks from now.

Let us hear what you think down below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Whoever it is isn't on the roster. Jesse James? Draft pick? Your guess is good as mine.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
We need a blocking TE. Resign Villanueva. Have him lose some weight. He played WR/TE at Army and he can block.
I'm joking ..... Kinda

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We need a blocking TE. Resign Villanueva. Have him lose some weight. He played WR/TE at Army and he can block.
I'm joking ..... Kinda

I'd entertain this joke provided our ARMY RANGER signed a cap friendly deal. He'd also add depth to the LT position.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
James burned some bridges when he left. I don't know if they will consider him unless he is the very last option.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Gentry should have the lead heading into mini camp and camp but drafting say a all around te like Eubanks UM or Farreell Ohio ST eithier could be solid 2 both good recievers and blockers, Yeaboah looks like just a ebron typee hybrid w with a te body to line up in the slot.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Gentry should have the lead heading into mini camp and camp but drafting say a all around te like Eubanks UM or Farreell Ohio ST eithier could be solid 2 both good recievers and blockers, Yeaboah looks like just a ebron typee hybrid w with a te body to line up in the slot.
farrell is my dark horse to be a solid #2 TE, not in love with his 40 time 4,70s but that's enough for his size, 6'5". 22 bench reps isn't bad either

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
farrell is my dark horse to be a solid #2 TE, not in love with his 40 time 4,70s but that's enough for his size, 6'5". 22 bench reps isn't bad either
Farrell plays faster than a 4.7 40. Wasn't asked to do much as a receiver at tOSU, but showed to be capable when called on. He's a good blocker with above average technique and a lot of "want to" (which Ebron is definitely lacking in). He won't be a star, but he'll be reliable and, barring injury, should have a pretty long career.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Howsabout Tommy Tremble? Undersized but a good blocker and a great athlete. Probably get him in the 3rd or 4th.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
tremble can be a good te, has great size blocking might not be a great receiver could a shorter version of heath/Witten, if not he is someone you can lt Ebron walk and insert at 6"3 250 is not as fast more physical and will still be a good security blanket. I with our needs and targeting 3b or and 4-5 to take a TE 3 b would be for tremble 4 for Yeboah and Farrell and Eubanks rnd 5-6

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm joking ..... Kinda
Just have him shed some weight and sign him as that blocking TE everybody wants.

He's not old. Its not father time.
As steelhurt has said, he was a product of Munchak. I think AL is a casualty of munchaks departure. I don't think we will keep him as someone will pay him more than we want to. But honestly he was a receiver in college.

It might be crazy. But wow... What if he just could drop 50 lbs or so.... It would be a really cool story.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm assuming the #2 TE would be the guy who actually drops even MORE balls than Ebron.