• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Eric Ebron Takes the High Road in Lack of Involvement

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers went out and drafted tight end Eric Ebron’s eventual replacement, but it wasn’t expected to happen so soon.

The Steelers stayed in state in the second round of the 2021 NFL Draft by selecting Penn State tight end Pat Freiermuth. Thoughts were that by mid season he could challenge Ebron for playing time. But the rookies training camp and preseason work showed that he was much more advanced than originally thought.

Freiermuth has been every bit of exceptional in the passing game, while his blocking continues to come along. That paired with the emergence of Zach Gentry as a blocked has significantly reduced the role for Ebron.

Ebron has tried to be a willing blocker, but it just isn’t in his natural game. With a baby-faced offensive line it has been much more critical for the extra blocking tight ends.

Ebron has a whole 13 targets this season with one rushing attempt that resulted in a 1-yard touchdown. He’s caught 7 of those 13 passes thrown his way for 47 yards.

For comparison he had 91 targets last season. In 2018 he had 110 targets with Indianapolis with 13 touchdowns.

He’s also not afraid to speak his mind, or cause some ripples. But today a different minded Ebron met with the media.

*Video shows vague language not suitable for children. *

Eric Ebron really candid about how he handles not getting the targets he hoped he’d have.

“My reputation is I’m always saying something, so for me, this time, I’m not going to say anything and Im going to let my tape and my coaches work for me.”

Is it hard?

“It’s hard as f-ck” pic.twitter.com/1f5XMMsKGy

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) October 25, 2021

Ebron obviously isn’t thrilled about his involvement in the offense. No one with his ability would be. He’s had his moments over the last two years for the Steelers. He’s made plays, but the drops or penalties at critical times are still there.

The Steelers do need Ebron. With JuJu Smith-Schuster out for the season and their complete lack of using the middle of the field in the passing game they need to get him involved. They also need to involve Freiermuth more too.

Ebron still has value to this offense. It isn’t as an every down tight end, or someone who should get more than a few passes per game, but there is room to create mismatches with him and Freiermuth.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...rd-as-f-at-times-to-not-ask-for-more-targets/

sorry, this isn't my idea of "taking the high road"..
I agree. If he'd catch the ball, there would be more opportunities for the guy... Simple as that.

I'd be satisfied trading him for a draft pick at this point. I did like that call for his rushing TD but they'll be looking for that going forward. Might be a good opportunity for a pass though.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
7.7 percent drop rate. Shut the **** up Ebron.

Joe

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...rd-as-f-at-times-to-not-ask-for-more-targets/

sorry, this isn't my idea of "taking the high road"..

I thought the same thing when I read his little clip.

Ebron has a big mouth as he has proven that more than once. His drop count is way to high to give that many opportunities. In the past we didn't have anyone else at TE so now that we have a FULLY capable catching / blocking TE why wouldn't we use him. Ebron in the dust and add in the fact that he didn't work hard enough durring the off season on his dropsies. (DJ did).

Friermuth is the real dealand thus should get way more reps and poor little EBRON will have to live with it. He will not be back next year as I think this is his last year on contract.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
PS

Good read Justin and thanks.

Salute the nation

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers went out and drafted tight end Eric Ebron’s eventual replacement, but it wasn’t expected to happen so soon.

The Steelers stayed in state in the second round of the 2021 NFL Draft by selecting Penn State tight end Pat Freiermuth...

I didn't consider Ebron a long term answer at TE when we signed him. Much like Ladarius Green, he's just a guy we signed while we waited for Heath's real replacement... and we finally got him in Muth. I don't care for Ebron, his negatives outweigh his positives, IMO. Never has been a "Steeler"-type guy. If Ebron's gone, I'd rather roll with Muth, Gentry, and call up Rader if we're going with 3 TE sets.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know...I listened to the interview and I didn't see 'much' wrong w/ Ebron's comments. I agree, catch the ball when it's thrown your way. Maybe it's a good thing that he's TE2??? The mismatches there will be epic IMO (if he catches the ball)...

Loved the TE sweep BTW.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ebron has a whole 13 targets this season with one rushing attempt that resulted in a 1-yard touchdown. He’s caught 7 of those 13 passes thrown his way for 47 yards.
Unfortunately, the stat above doesn't give us definitive info on how many of those 13 passes were catchable. But one can assume since, the reference says that 13 passes were thrown his way, what is meant is that 13 catchable balls were thrown to Ebron.

How many of those were drops, or excellent coverage, or alligator arming due to a monster hit about to be delivered? We don't know. What we do know is that statistically this season so far it looks like Ebron has about a 50/50 chance of making a catch for roughly 7 yards. On 3rd and 6, do you really want to throw up a 50/50 ball to a guy who guy who, on a coin flip, might get you the yardage?

I'm sure there's a lot going on with the numbers. Playcalling, line play, routes, preparation... but in the end, the numbers are the numbers.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the stat above doesn't give us definitive info on how many of those 13 passes were catchable. But one can assume since, the reference says that 13 passes were thrown his way, what is meant is that 13 catchable balls were thrown to Ebron.

How many of those were drops, or excellent coverage, or alligator arming due to a monster hit about to be delivered? We don't know. What we do know is that statistically this season so far it looks like Ebron has about a 50/50 chance of making a catch for roughly 7 yards. On 3rd and 6, do you really want to throw up a 50/50 ball to a guy who guy who, on a coin flip, might get you the yardage?

I'm sure there's a lot going on with the numbers. Playcalling, line play, routes, preparation... but in the end, the numbers are the numbers.

Friermuth was targeted 7 times and guess what,......... he had 7 receptions. That's the guy I'm going to.

Ebron will have his role reduced as it is and maybe he can gain back some trust by catching and keeping his mouth shut and letting his ability speak for itself

Salute the nation

Reactions: JMM

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know...I listened to the interview and I didn't see 'much' wrong w/ Ebron's comments. I agree, catch the ball when it's thrown your way. Maybe it's a good thing that he's TE2??? The mismatches there will be epic IMO (if he catches the ball)...

Loved the TE sweep BTW.
Media trying to blow stuff out of proportion

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

The Steelers stayed in state in the second round of the 2021 NFL Draft by selecting Penn State tight end Pat Freiermuth. Thoughts were that by mid season he could challenge Ebron for playing time. But the rookies training camp and preseason work showed that he was much more advanced than originally thought.

Freiermuth has been every bit of exceptional in the passing game, while his blocking continues to come along. That paired with the emergence of Zach Gentry as a blocked has significantly reduced the role for Ebron.

Ebron has tried to be a willing blocker, but it just isn’t in his natural game. With a baby-faced offensive line it has been much more critical for the extra blocking tight ends.

For comparison he had 91 targets last season. In 2018 he had 110 targets with Indianapolis with 13 touchdowns.

He’s also not afraid to speak his mind, or cause some ripples. But today a different minded Ebron met with the media.

*Video shows vague language not suitable for children. *

Ebron obviously isn’t thrilled about his involvement in the offense. No one with his ability would be. He’s had his moments over the last two years for the Steelers. He’s made plays, but the drops or penalties at critical times are still there.

The Steelers do need Ebron. With JuJu Smith-Schuster out for the season and their complete lack of using the middle of the field in the passing game they need to get him involved. They also need to involve Freiermuth more too.

Ebron still has value to this offense. It isn’t as an every down tight end, or someone who should get more than a few passes per game, but there is room to create mismatches with him and Freiermuth.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..
I have forgotten at times he's on the team. There's are very few more drops. This offense can't handle that, .We have enough OL penalties they way it is.