• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Everyone knows the team needed DEFENSE, yet 3 of our first 4 picks went to the offens

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Someone, please explain to me why the Steelers think WR and OT, positions where we have pro bowl starters and very good players is a more significant need than ILB, NT/DT, and TE, where the starters are replaceable?

Everyone knows the team needed DEFENSE, yet 3 of our first 4 picks went to the offense.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Thread to thread to thread you are always bitching about something..

You don't in-depth watch a player but no pick is good to you. Unless some draft site says it is.

You are an annoying debbie downer ************. Easiest the worst poster on this site.

And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

You complaining son of a *****.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Our biggest needs were ILB, WR (after trading Byant) and S, in that order. Our D is the major weakness of the team. There is no excuse for what they did with their first 4 picks. Jewell and Griffen were still on the board for ILB when they picked the T. No excuse there. If you're going to reach as much as they did for the T, you should have done that on the D.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Thread to thread to thread you are always bitching about something.

You don't in-depth watch a player but no pick is good to you. Unless some draft site says it is.

You are a annoying debbie downer ************. Easiest the worst poster on this site.

And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

You complaining son of a *****.

Maybe that because everyone and their mother knows what this team needs and the Steelers reach on some picks at the wrong spots. DUH. Argue against that please, and I'll have some fun with you. Heck I could ever your own words / opninions team needs to make it look like you agree with me. :whip:

If you want the Steelers to win, you don't draft WR in round two. We have a hall of fame level guy there and what looks to be a real talent in Ju-Ju. The soft-hearted tackle we picked in round 3 looks too slow and weak for a tackle, too soft-hearted and not strong enough for guard. Meanwhile, we have Dirty Red projected to start at ILB and a need at NT.

And speaking of watching did you see what happened to the defense later in the season. We might, just might have needs there, ya think?

Being in the military I assumed your feathers would be harder to ruffle.

PS: WRONG, I do like some picks, Rudolph for example. Any ILB, NT/DT or TE pick, I would have liked. Every time I see a 1 star post I laugh, it means someone got under your thin skin.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Our biggest needs were ILB, WR (after trading Byant) and S, in that order. Our is the major weakness of the team. There is no excuse for what they did with their first 4 picks. Jewell and Griffen were still on the board for ILB when they picked the T. No excuse there. If you're going to reach as much as they did for the T, you should have done that on the D.

Don't tell that to Mr. Senestive. You are 100% correct.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe that because everyone and their mother knows what this team needs and the Steelers reach on some picks at the wrong spots. DUH. Argue against that please, and I'll have some fun with you. Heck I could ever your own words / opninions team needs to make it look like you agree with me. :whip:

If you want the Steelers to win, you don't draft WR in round two. We have a hall of fame level guy there and what looks to be a real talent in Ju-Ju. The soft-hearted tackle we picked in round 3 looks too slow and weak for a tackle, too soft-hearted and not strong enough for guard. Meanwhile, we have Dirty Red projected to start at ILB and a need at NT.

And speaking of watching did you see what happened to the defense later in the season. We might, just might have needs there, ya think?

Being in the military I assumed your feathers would be harder to ruffle.

Not ruffled just tired of your bitching and whining about every pick.

I bet off the board you are a real ******* joy to be around.

Step back and try not to be such a miserable fucktwatwaffle.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Our biggest needs were ILB, WR (after trading Byant) and S, in that order. Our is the major weakness of the team. There is no excuse for what they did with their first 4 picks. Jewell and Griffen were still on the board for ILB when they picked the T. No excuse there. If you're going to reach as much as they did for the T, you should have done that on the D.

I don't know much about Jewell and Griffen, but I'm not in favor of drafting another Tyler Matekevich in Round 3 just because we need an ILB.

Chicoman

Reaction score
well the Steelers have certainly wasted their two third round picks. We do need DT & ILB and there were good players available and we took a backup QB and an OT who reminds me of Trai Essex (Slow, Fat & Lazy) who could have been a walk on Free Agent. Give me a break!

This team has not gotten better in this draft which IMO doesn't bode well for the difficult schedule we have in 2018. I think our Steelers will finish somewhere between 8-8 & 10-6.

Spike

Reaction score
Brilliant! **** the defense - go all out for Ben to get us another ring!

They finally ******* listened to me! Defense DOES NOT win championships anymore!

All offense! Woo-hoo!

The End of the Landry ******* Jones era too!

Oh what a happy day!

SteelerAl

Reaction score
well the Steelers have certainly wasted their two third round picks. We do need DT & ILB and there were good players available and we took a backup QB and an OT who reminds me of Trai Essex (Slow, Fat & Lazy) who could have been a walk on Free Agent. Give me a break!

This team has not gotten better in this draft which IMO doesn't bode well for the difficult schedule we have in 2018. I think our Steelers will finish somewhere between 8-8 & 10-6.

You seem obsessed with taking an NT. Did you think there was any chance whatsoever we would draft one? A guy who'd get on the field 4 snaps / game?

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Someone, please explain to me why the Steelers think WR and OT, positions where we have pro bowl starters and very good players is a more significant need than ILB, NT/DT, and TE, where the starters are replaceable?

Everyone knows the team needed DEFENSE, yet 3 of our first 4 picks went to the offense.

I would have liked to have seen more defensive players drafted, but taking BPA instead of drafting based on need is a tried and true approach to building a good team. If that’s what they did, I’m fine with it.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I believe they drafted Edmunds to fill Shaziers spot and not play safety. WR was a need after we dumped Bryant. I think taking a QB is a year or 2 early. I would have much rather picked up Reid for deep help. The OT is a bit of a head scratcher. If they were going to take a gamble i think it should have been someone on D.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Didnt we sign two free agents who play defense..

2 second tier FA's. The ILB is a stop gap, at best. Plus Williams may be gone after this year. Jewell could have easily been his replacement. Griffen has the athletic traits and can play multiple positions as they obviously are coveting by their first round pick.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
2 second tier FA's. The ILB is a stop gap, at best. Plus Williams may be gone after this year. Jewell could have easily been his replacement. Griffen has the athletic traits and can play multiple positions as they obviously are coveting by their first round pick.

But we arent in base that often. So if the guy we were looking at didn't have three down value whats the point. Just play Bostic when we are in base. Evans had three down value because he could move to edge so thats why i think they liked him. There are still Two down ILBs available for us to take to replace Williams or they can wait til next year. We are seeing this all across the league apparently. If you cant play in sub packages too your value drops.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
The 2nd day wtf pick for me was the Tackle, with Hawkins already on the team what chance does the rookie have to even make the team ?

A DT could've fought with Dan McCullers for the roster spot.

A RB would be nice to see too because of Bell situation

A TE could have fought with grimble for the 3rd spot

An OLB could have fought with keion Adams for the 4th spot as watt, Dupree and chickillo apparently are the main three. There's zero depth at this position.

If they see Edmunds as a LB then another Safety might have helped the team as there's no depth after Sean Davis and Burnett.

If they see Edmunds as a rover safety then an ILB could be useful to back up Vince Williams, there isn't another thumper on the team at this position.

Any of these I would have liked better than a Tackle doomed to be benched for three years at the end of the 3rd round

Sent from my [device_name] using Steeler Nation mobile app

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Love how everyone feels there is a lot of bitching. Well exactly what have we done in this draft replaced a receiver, another QB???, a tackle that is supposedly worthless and a safety that has a tackling problem. inside linebacker not a thought. A draft that was deep in depth but all we have picked is question marks across the board. No wonder Tomlin is second best as reported by many here. To many reaches or works in progress, defense may not win championships but it sure helps you get to the playoffs. Last year we had entirely to many come from behind games or last second field goals to win, you cannot do that every year. Our draft is all over the place and so far even the big boy analyst which we shake our heads at also, are shaking there heads with our picks.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
But we arent in base that often. So if the guy we were looking at didn't have three down value whats the point. Just play Bostic when we are in base. Evans had three down value because he could move to edge so thats why i think they liked him. There are still Two down ILBs available for us to take to replace Williams or they can wait til next year. We are seeing this all across the league apparently. If you cant play in sub packages too your value drops.

So, we will only play with 2 D-linemen and 2 or maybe 3 LB's and the rest DB's. That is absolutely ludicrous and is the reason we got run over so often on 3rd downs and why decent QB's had a ton of time to pass on us. Third and long for a team used to mean an obvious pass in the past. Last year, especially when Shazier went out, teams would pick up 3rd and longs by running and many times would get a ton more yards. You still have to have a defensive front to stop that and to put pressure on the QB.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The 2nd day wtf pick for me was the Tackle, with Hawkins already on the team what chance does the rookie have to even make the team ?

A DT could've fought with Dan McCullers for the roster spot.

A RB would be nice to see too because of Bell situation

A TE could have fought with grimble for the 3rd spot

An OLB could have fought with keion Adams for the 4th spot as watt, Dupree and chickillo apparently are the main three. There's zero depth at this position.

If they see Edmunds as a LB then another Safety might have helped the team as there's no depth after Sean Davis and Burnett.

If they see Edmunds as a rover safety then an ILB could be useful to back up Vince Williams, there isn't another thumper on the team at this position.

Any of these I would have liked better than a Tackle doomed to be benched for three years at the end of the 3rd round

One tackle left one tackle drafted. He has a spot waiting there for him so I would say a damn good chance to make the team.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
So, we will only play with 2 D-linemen and 2 or maybe 3 LB's and the rest DB's. That is absolutely ludicrous and is the reason we got run over so often on 3rd downs and why decent QB's had a ton of time to pass on us. Third and long for a team used to mean an obvious pass in the past. Last year, especially when Shazier went out, teams would pick up 3rd and longs by running and many times would get a ton more yards. You still have to have a defensive front to stop that and to put pressure on the QB.
There's still hope that they play with three on the Dline (heyward hargrave tuitt) and 3 LBs with watt Dupree Bostic/Edmunds

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

Hence the value of Edmunds and Burnett. Both can play ILB together or with Williams. Tuitt playing up to his potential will go a long way towards us stopping the run

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
You have two new S's a new WR, a better backup to Big Ben, a T with potential to be solid.A new ILber. (free agency included.)

And still have two 5th rounders coming.

Better communicators better tacklers, better depth.

That swing T that left was solid. You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket a T was needed.

They are solidifying the roster despite what the chicken little's think.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Terrell Edmunds is going to play in all the sub packages that Shazier could and Bostic can’t. Need.

James Washington takes over for Martavis Bryant. Need.

Mason Rudolph could be the heir apparent to our aging QB. Need.

Okorafor could take over as swing tackle for Hubbard. Need.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Terrell Edmunds is going to play in all the sub packages that Shazier could and Bostic can’t. Need.

James Washington takes over for Martavis Bryant. Need.

Mason Rudolph could be the heir apparent to our aging QB. Need.

Okorafor could take over as swing tackle for Hubbard. Need.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

yep

now and the future addressed. I am happy...