• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ex Steelers you’d like to see coach

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So finding good position coaches is often best done through ex players, and some even can rise above to a coordinator or even head coach level…

Here are some of the ExSteelers candidates I wouldn’t mind seeing at some of our spots that could use an upgrade

Wr coach… I’m not a fan of Hilliard right now. Id love to see him replaced… ex Steelers have several smart options with coaching experience already out there…

My top option currently is employed by the lions but might not be for long…
1. Antwaan randel El, who has the benefit of both a wr and qb perspective and a great grasp of offense
2. Hines ward… guy is coaching high school right now but spent some time learning the ropes with the jets a few years back… probably the smartest wr we have had and understands routes and blocking so well
3.Jericho Cotchery… a great head on his shoulders and some coaching experience as a assistant wr coach

The second spot is lb coach, which butler assisted with… adding a third could be overkill or necessary with how specialized it can be and how our ilbs haven’t developed as well as they should have yet…..
the Steelers have a glut of smart ex lbs… three in particular that id like to see given a chance are

1. james farrior… he was smart and skilled. Potsie is a dlb prodigy that called his defense he also transitioned from the older more traditional sideline to sideline ilb to the half safety type tomlin uses so he has multiple perspectives
2. Levon Kirkland… he coaches high school but also was one of the smarter physical specimens we have had at ilb… he definitely can teach people the ins and outs of blowing up a run game

If you were going olb…
3. Jason Gildon. The guy got a lot of crap but he knew how to play olb and he wasn’t a temperamental lunkhead like many of our stars…

Next is the hole at DB coaches austin will leave unless he opts to continue that responsibility too…

I’d focus heavily on ex safeties to really improve that position

Obviously the top pick is too unlikely.. thats Troy… he was extremely smart and can encourage instinctive play that most coaches shun… but that guy hates tge spotlight and won’t actually take it

So otherwise:

1. Brent Alexander… yeah the guy was molasses on the field, but his intelligence and understanding of the position was second to none, which was how he had as long of a career as he did… he coaches high school football right now.. I was certain he was going to be a DC after his career was over… he should definitely get a shot if he was interested

2. The return of Darren Perry… db coach here from 04-06… had a long stint with the packers as safety coach end a couple years back… really smart guy

3 Rod Woodson… if you were more worried about cb Woodson would be the logical available ex Steelers player with experience coaching dbs.

** now if Chicago lets Deshea Townsend go, he would jump up pretty high on this list

Oline assistant.. lets be real… they are promoting from within here again… which is ashame because in my ranking of assistant coach heirarcy of importance OL coach is higher than OC and just behind DC… but a good assistant can help too..

There are lots of ex Steelers olinemen who could do well as a position coach

Among the bigger names are

1. Alan Faneca, though I doubt he would do it… he just took a high school coaching position last year… he has experience under cowhers old schemes that were more run heavy

2. Ramon Foster… he was an extremely smart guy and got by on technique more than talent i always felt he was slotted for a coaching job after he retired. The most likely option if we went ex Steelers

3. Dermonti Dawson. a decade ago he tried to get into scouting for the Steelers, left that for a intern coaching gig with Cinci, then bailed on the nfl for more lucrative sales jobs that has since fallen through… maybe he is looking to get back in the nfl… he would tie in erhardt blocking principles we have long abandoned

4 Jeff Hartings… current high school head coach.. of the past four Steelers all pro centers, he was the least talented and got by on superior technique … definitely has coaching in his future

Offensive assistant…

These are guys we should at least get a look at as contributors to the offensive scheme

1. Charlie batch…. Like seriously how is he not coaching already?
2. Heath miller… he must not want to coach because he would be one of those tes who could really move up the coaching tree if he wanted to
3. Matt Spaeth… underrated by Steelers fans, the guy was a monster at blocking from the TE position… a trait few te coaches teach well anymore… we desperately need that with the new young TEs

4. John Kuhn… yeah he made his bones as a packer, but hecstarted out a steeler. A true leader and extremely intelligent guy… currently i think he has a radio show… this guy had OC type potential that simply has been ignored because fullbacks don’t always get a position coach opportunity because tge position is ignored in the current nfl

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Running backs - Jerome Bettis or Eric Pegram
Wide receivers - Hines no doubt
OL - Jeff Hartings
DL - Aaron Smith
OLB - Clark Haggans
MLB - James Farrior
DB’s - Ryan Clark or Deshea Townsend

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Running backs - Jerome Bettis or Eric Pegram
Wide receivers - Hines no doubt
OL - Jeff Hartings
DL - Aaron Smith
OLB - Clark Haggans
MLB - James Farrior
DB’s - Ryan Clark or Deshea Townsend
Ryan clark is also intriguing, but I don’t know if he will leave his media gig

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Ryan clark is also intriguing, but I don’t know if he will leave his media gig
I don’t know if he still runs it, but he started a defensive back training center in New Orleans. It’s called DB precision 1

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Great players rarely make great coaches. Great players were that because they were highly gifted athletes that played lights out because of their talent and/or instincts. Average players had to learn much more to make up for their short comings, and become better coaches because of this.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Great players rarely make great coaches. Great players were that because they were highly gifted athletes that played lights out because of their talent and/or instincts. Average players had to learn much more to make up for their short comings, and become better coaches because of this.
Some do, some don’t… it’s usually about intellect and technique… a lot of the instinctual players don’t translate well, but I feel troy would…also great players often are rich so there is less a drive to take a relatively low paying position coach job…

Coaching is hard work… typically the best guys are the ones that are coach on the field types or who really understand concepts and film study… now great players rarely translate well to head coaching gigs…. They mostly do great at position coaching… look at Mike Munchak…. Star player, great Oline coach, a nothingburger at head coach….

Or Dick Lebeau… fantastic at db coach and even superb at DC, but was a completely useless head coach…

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Some do, some don’t… it’s usually about intellect and technique… a lot of the instinctual players don’t translate well, but I feel troy would…also great players often are rich so there is less a drive to take a relatively low paying position coach job…

Coaching is hard work… typically the best guys are the ones that are coach on the field types or who really understand concepts and film study… now great players rarely translate well to head coaching gigs…. They mostly do great at position coaching… look at Mike Munchak…. Star player, great Oline coach, a nothingburger at head coach….

Or Dick Lebeau… fantastic at db coach and even superb at DC, but was a completely useless head coach…
Have to have or develop that X and O capability. Be proficient at it.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
So finding good position coaches is often best done through ex players, and some even can rise above to a coordinator or even head coach level…

Here are some of the ExSteelers candidates I wouldn’t mind seeing at some of our spots that could use an upgrade

Wr coach… I’m not a fan of Hilliard right now. Id love to see him replaced… ex Steelers have several smart options with coaching experience already out there…

My top option currently is employed by the lions but might not be for long…
1. Antwaan randel El, who has the benefit of both a wr and qb perspective and a great grasp of offense
2. Hines ward… guy is coaching high school right now but spent some time learning the ropes with the jets a few years back… probably the smartest wr we have had and understands routes and blocking so well
3.Jericho Cotchery… a great head on his shoulders and some coaching experience as a assistant wr coach

The second spot is lb coach, which butler assisted with… adding a third could be overkill or necessary with how specialized it can be and how our ilbs haven’t developed as well as they should have yet…..
the Steelers have a glut of smart ex lbs… three in particular that id like to see given a chance are

1. james farrior… he was smart and skilled. Potsie is a dlb prodigy that called his defense he also transitioned from the older more traditional sideline to sideline ilb to the half safety type tomlin uses so he has multiple perspectives
2. Levon Kirkland… he coaches high school but also was one of the smarter physical specimens we have had at ilb… he definitely can teach people the ins and outs of blowing up a run game

If you were going olb…
3. Jason Gildon. The guy got a lot of crap but he knew how to play olb and he wasn’t a temperamental lunkhead like many of our stars…

Next is the hole at DB coaches austin will leave unless he opts to continue that responsibility too…

I’d focus heavily on ex safeties to really improve that position

Obviously the top pick is too unlikely.. thats Troy… he was extremely smart and can encourage instinctive play that most coaches shun… but that guy hates tge spotlight and won’t actually take it

So otherwise:

1. Brent Alexander… yeah the guy was molasses on the field, but his intelligence and understanding of the position was second to none, which was how he had as long of a career as he did… he coaches high school football right now.. I was certain he was going to be a DC after his career was over… he should definitely get a shot if he was interested

2. The return of Darren Perry… db coach here from 04-06… had a long stint with the packers as safety coach end a couple years back… really smart guy

3 Rod Woodson… if you were more worried about cb Woodson would be the logical available ex Steelers player with experience coaching dbs.

** now if Chicago lets Deshea Townsend go, he would jump up pretty high on this list

Oline assistant.. lets be real… they are promoting from within here again… which is ashame because in my ranking of assistant coach heirarcy of importance OL coach is higher than OC and just behind DC… but a good assistant can help too..

There are lots of ex Steelers olinemen who could do well as a position coach

Among the bigger names are

1. Alan Faneca, though I doubt he would do it… he just took a high school coaching position last year… he has experience under cowhers old schemes that were more run heavy

2. Ramon Foster… he was an extremely smart guy and got by on technique more than talent i always felt he was slotted for a coaching job after he retired. The most likely option if we went ex Steelers

3. Dermonti Dawson. a decade ago he tried to get into scouting for the Steelers, left that for a intern coaching gig with Cinci, then bailed on the nfl for more lucrative sales jobs that has since fallen through… maybe he is looking to get back in the nfl… he would tie in erhardt blocking principles we have long abandoned

4 Jeff Hartings… current high school head coach.. of the past four Steelers all pro centers, he was the least talented and got by on superior technique … definitely has coaching in his future

Offensive assistant…

These are guys we should at least get a look at as contributors to the offensive scheme

1. Charlie batch…. Like seriously how is he not coaching already?
2. Heath miller… he must not want to coach because he would be one of those tes who could really move up the coaching tree if he wanted to
3. Matt Spaeth… underrated by Steelers fans, the guy was a monster at blocking from the TE position… a trait few te coaches teach well anymore… we desperately need that with the new young TEs

4. John Kuhn… yeah he made his bones as a packer, but hecstarted out a steeler. A true leader and extremely intelligent guy… currently i think he has a radio show… this guy had OC type potential that simply has been ignored because fullbacks don’t always get a position coach opportunity because tge position is ignored in the current nfl
None...not interested in the jockacracy. Just because they were good players or smart at their position does not mean it will it transfer to coaching. It's a crap shoot with ex players, for every Deshea Townsend or Ozzy Newsome(management I know) you get 20 that don't work out. Find proven people, preferably with NFL experience, but if nothing else college experience. Ex players would be my last option.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
None...not interested in the jockacracy. Just because they were good players or smart at their position does not mean it will it transfer to coaching. It's a crap shoot with ex players, for every Deshea Townsend or Ozzy Newsome(management I know) you get 20 that don't work out. Find proven people, preferably with NFL experience, but if nothing else college experience. Ex players would be my last option.

Then you must be thrilled with Teryl Austin and Matt Canada.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Gms, head coaches and even coordinators can often not be ex players and be great… but position coaches are almost always explayers… thats the best option for developing guys and teaching techniques…

Steelmann

Reaction score
James Harrison. HC.
You think there’d be discipline problems,pulled groin problems,strength and endurance problems with this mean bad ***? Not sure if they’d win any games........but it sure would be fun 😃

Throw in Mel Blount for Assistant Coach. Love to see him walking up and down the sideline. Do you wear the headphones over or under that great cowboy hat?

Throw in Greg Lloyd for DC just to spice things up a little more.

Add Joe Greene for GM. Lyn Swann for Assistannt GM. He does have a beautiful face.

Put Big Ben in for OLine Coach. He’s run for his football life for years. You think he would have an interesting take on how to fix that **** up.

Big Snack for Dline Coach. I mean ,it’s gotta be him

Put in Troy for player personal......DB coach. Who wouldn’t want Troy?

Throw in Joshua Dobbs somewhere. Add some brain power.

Throw in Derek Watt as Special Teams coach and player.Part time FB. He might as well earn his salary. At least this way he will be used properly.

LB Coach. Who else but Jack? Love to see Bush slack off with Jack as his coach. He’d get the ******* weed whacker out to trim the Bush to size. Think they’d be lacking intensity?

Gotta throw in Ryan Clark somewhere. Director of Media Relations?

Let’s not forget our TE coach Instead of playing Renegade,trotting out HEATH!!! To get the fans going. Who wouldn’t want that every game again?

And finally Mike Tomlin. Janitorial Staff. Heinz Field. There’s just a lot of **** to clean up.

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Ex coach Mike Tomlin - anywhere else.............................................. Oh wait...........

Salute the nation

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
Then you must be thrilled with Teryl Austin and Matt Canada.
Austin I don't know anything about. Canada has been coaching since 1996~97. I don't have a problem with Canada as unlike you I know what I'm assessing and seeing on the field. Live and All-22.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Austin I don't know anything about. Canada has been coaching since 1996~97. I don't have a problem with Canada as unlike you I know what I'm assessing and seeing on the field. Live and All-22.
Canada coaches like he’s a rookie

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Austin I don't know anything about.

Now THAT I can believe.

I don't have a problem with Canada as unlike you I know what I'm assessing and seeing on the field.

If you think a Matt Canada offense is anything other than a steaming pile of rancid dogshit, you are blind, stupid or both.

You moron, you think the offense is going to be better in 2022 because Ben is gone. You are perhaps the only living being on earth to believe that to be the case. You will get your wish - I can hardly wait for your brilliant analysis after Mason Rudolph leads another stellar effort against a powerhouse like the Lions.

Idiot.

Finally, only the dumbest of the dumb, the most ignorant douchebags to pollute this site, claim to know so much about football because they "watch film." If you actually believe the 2022 Steelers are going to be BETTER because Ben Roethlisberger is no longer the team's QB, then the only film you watch is the one growing on your teeth.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
Now THAT I can believe.

If you think a Matt Canada offense is anything other than a steaming pile of rancid dogshit, you are blind, stupid or both.

You moron, you think the offense is going to be better in 2022 because Ben is gone. You are perhaps the only living being on earth to believe that to be the case. You will get your wish - I can hardly wait for your brilliant analysis after Mason Rudolph leads another stellar effort against a powerhouse like the Lions.

Idiot.

Finally, only the dumbest of the dumb, the most ignorant douchebags to pollute this site, claim to know so much about football because they "watch film." If you actually believe the 2022 Steelers are going to be BETTER because Ben Roethlisberger is no longer the team's QB, then the only film you watch is the one growing on your teeth.
I never said the offense would get better with Mason. My opinion was based on the idea that they will bring in a vet QB.

So you can insult me all you want douche canoe, I get it, I showed what an *** you are in another thread for everyone else here to see by asking you a simple question you refuse to answer and now you are butt hurt. Put some Prep-H on it and get over yourself.

But before you put that cream on:

So which is it champ?

Is Ben dumb enough to have thought this team had a shot to win it all with a brand new O-line..

Or did he just come back for the last of the cheese?