• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

FINALLY: Free agency is fun

SteveA

Reaction score
The Free Agency period historically has sucked for us...We seemed to never do squat in Free Agency...The last 2 years have been ALOT of fun as we FINALLY had money freed up for free agency...And moves are being made..

Loving it...

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Ufas are the worse way to build a team… everyone worth a damn is typically overpriced and many have enough wear that the reason their previous team didn’t retain them is the dropoff is going to be severe… many more won’t adequately adjust to a new scheme or roll…

The best solution has always been to develop through the draft and just add bit players to the team…

Steelers fans love the big name hunting, but most are just wastes whose role could have been better served with a cheap free agent or draft pick instead …

Last year: OMG everyone… we just signed a bunch of olinemen and miles freaking jack… and we got MITCH Trabisky

This year: hey lets cut or demote all those guys .. the suck or are average…

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes---its been an "Un Steeler" like off-season for sure..
Will see how it shakes out.

The one thing it tells me is that with all these signings...I don't think they will be looking to trade down and add extra picks in the draft...
If anything, they might give up a pick to trade up in the first..

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Ufas are the worse way to build a team… everyone worth a damn is typically overpriced and many have enough wear that the reason their previous team didn’t retain them is the dropoff is going to be severe… many more won’t adequately adjust to a new scheme or roll…

The best solution has always been to develop through the draft and just add bit players to the team…

Steelers fans love the big name hunting, but most are just wastes whose role could have been better served with a cheap free agent or draft pick instead …

Last year: OMG everyone… we just signed a bunch of olinemen and miles freaking jack… and we got MITCH Trabisky

This year: hey lets cut or demote all those guys .. the suck or are average…
giphy.gif

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The one thing it tells me is that with all these signings...I don't think they will be looking to trade down and add extra picks in the draft...

Your thinking is that since they have no pressing needs (at least as far as they are concerned), the team can target a specific alpha player and if necessary move up to get him? I seriously hope they are not thinking that way. The need long-term improvement at RT, C, CB, SS, ILB, WR, TE2 and QB2.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes---its been an "Un Steeler" like off-season for sure..
Will see how it shakes out.

^^^^THIS^^^^

I see this, with the FA pick-ups, it will allow us to target very specific needs and BPA simultaneously. It has turned our “not enough” draft picks into a possible move scenario.

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Being active in free agency means your drafting has not been what it should be.

But at least they see that and are doing something to better the team

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Can have one day without complaints???
Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Khan, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Kaaaaahhhhhn.
But that Andy Weidle, he's the guy that's responsible for the FA pickups we like.
That about right?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Khan, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Tomlin, Kaaaaahhhhhn.
But that Andy Weidle, he's the guy that's responsible for the FA pickups we like.
That about right?
I think he is responsible for the trench warfare going on.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I think he's the guy who identified the former Eagles players he wanted. The issue of not being strong enough in the trenches was so glaring that even Coach picked up on it.

Stewey

Reaction score
That about right?
Well I only read one post mentioning Tomlin so for that you should be grateful. lol

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It feels like shuffling deck chairs with this type of approach. Add a quality starter and keep your own.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I think he's the guy who identified the former Eagles players he wanted. The issue of not being strong enough in the trenches was so glaring that even Coach picked up on it.
Identifying is one thing, getting a pro bowl caliber guard is another. I seriously can't remember a time that they paid so much attention to the trenches and the draft hasn't even hit yet.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
It feels like shuffling deck chairs with this type of approach. Add a quality starter and keep your own.
Still think BigDot might be used to move up or gain a pick in the draft.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Identifying is one thing, getting a pro bowl caliber guard is another. I seriously can't remember a time that they paid so much attention to the trenches and the draft hasn't even hit yet.
Hmmmm .... well, along those lines, they did actually change GMs. Maybe Omar called the shots on fortifying the trenches and asked the Assistant-GM for his input on personnel. You don't add a pro bowl caliber guard without the GM greenlighting it.
I don't know. I'm just mesmerized by the fact that Andy is getting all the credit and he's not even the guy who calls any of the shots.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That about right?

At the very least, he is influencing some…………….

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmmm .... well, along those lines, they did actually change GMs. Maybe Omar called the shots on fortifying the trenches and asked the Assistant-GM for his input on personnel. You don't add a pro bowl caliber guard without the GM greenlighting it.
I don't know. I'm just mesmerized by the fact that Andy is getting all the credit and he's not even the guy who calls any of the shots.
He was known to be a trenches guy upon arrival and they are attacking trenches. Seems to be logical that he deserves some credit for it. Who did you have in mind? Omar? I am not confident that he isn't just putting his trust in Andy as far as targets. Sure he is signing off. ...