• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Fire Tomlin

steelhurt

Reaction score
Tomlin being a black man has nothing to do with how I feel about his coaching the Steelers. I don’t care about his race if he can coach and bring championships to my team.
My opinions of Tomlin have been based on what I’ve seen over the years, I think he squandered Ben’s prime years along with talent such as AB, Lev Bell, Martavis Bryant, Heath Miller, etc, This organization should have won a couple SB ‘s from 2011 thru 2018 but we never even sniffed the SB. Nah, I’ve seen way too much and am convinced that we will never reach another SB with him.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin being a black man has nothing to do with how I feel about his coaching the Steelers. I don’t care about his race if he can coach and bring championships to my team.
My opinions of Tomlin have been based on what I’ve seen over the years, I think he squandered Ben’s prime years along with talent such as AB, Lev Bell, Martavis Bryant, Heath Miller, etc, This organization should have won a couple SB ‘s from 2011 thru 2018 but we never even sniffed the SB. Nah, I’ve seen way too much and am convinced that we will never reach another SB with him.
100% agree!

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Good coaches can come from anywhere. Look at cowher he was a special teams coach. I don't think he was high on peoples coaching list. I have no issue with the team hiring Tomlin as I'm sure he gave a great interview. Other than being a good speaker i don't think Tomlin brings much to the team. Game planning and X's and O's are terrible. You can blame the coordinators, but who is their boss? Either Tomlin is controlling the crappy playcalls or he is not taking control and holding the coordinators responsible. Same with putting Ray Ray out there the guy is a turnover waiting to happen, but yet we keep trotting him out there. It's not like he has explosive capabilities. I just think they need to bring in a more strategy oriented coach.
Remember Todd Haley has this weird infatuation with tiny running backs. I think Canada has the same thing. He wanted McFarland and he hasn’t done squat. Ray Ray is similar but must be marginally better than McFarland because he’s getting a hat Sunday. But neither are good.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This whole Rooney Rule would piss me the **** off, if I were a minority candidate. If you were interviewed and did not get the job, how would you know you weren’t just a ”token” interview to meet the “rule”?

I don’t know what the answer should be, but I do know that basing ANYTHING off of someone’s ethnic group is wrong.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Seriously your statement is just so off. He is not CLOSE to your opinion. he is not the worst coach hands down.

So………..YOU ARE A DRAMA QUEEN
If it wasn’t for Roethlisberger we’d be the Detroit Lions the last 15 years.

jenaie42

Reaction score
Worst coach in the NFL. Hands down.
No more worst than the QB Big Ben. Get rid of him and maybe they can really win a game. As the commentary's been saying, if the Steelers fail this year it's because they made a bad choice to keep Ben. I agree!

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
No more worst than the QB Big Ben. Get rid of him and maybe they can really win a game. As the commentary's been saying, if the Steelers fail this year it's because they made a bad choice to keep Ben. I agree!
YOu are ******* high.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Don't hide I love the Steelers and Hate Tomlin and have since the day he was hired. Wrong decision from jump street.

So living where I do, (PA but minutes from MD and equal distance from Philly and the cesspool that is Baltimore) I compare Tomlin to Harbaugh. Both been about the same tenure with MT longer. But they both came in very inexperienced. We here wanted Harbaugh locked up LONG TERM as he was horrible and even their fans wanted him out of town. Very similar to Tomlin, inept coaching and both press conference talkers, however the Harbaugh's are ALL whiners. Harbaugh was set to be fired, asked owner for one more chance. That was 4 or 5 years ago. Harbaugh got rid of all of his "buddies" Eagles and college coaching friends and hired the best available he could find for each position and coordinator jobs. They all had experience and basically brought in their systems. Harbaugh stayed out of it, let coaches coach and coordinators call and scheme the plays. Tomlin has consistently failed in staffing his roster of coaches and hires his buddies who are as he would say, below the line. Harbaugh has had coaches hired away and move elsewhere in the NFL. Tomlin coaching tree resembles the Castanza Festivus Tree! I don't know how the war room on draft day goes, but who ever makes those decisions on who is drafted is horrible. Again, in Baltimore Ozzy was not a great drafter, missed a ton; however he was a free agent beast. Steelers never missed on WR or LB's, not anymore. Tomlin values the wrong players most of the time and keeps them way too long. So in my opinion, at the end of the day; since Tomlin is never going anywhere; he needs to bring in beast coordinators and get the best young up and coming position coaches and for a change emulate Harbaugh! Sit back let them coach, talk to the media and keep things moving forward and make players and coaches held accountable. Tomlin has failed every day in his job, even in wins since he has been around I have cussed at him and questioned most of what he does. Ben and some great players have kept these teams afloat. Tomlin has not bettered any player or impact this team in a positive way ever. He has wasted more talent than any other. Great speaker, motivator, friend, cool but HORRIBLE coach. He should be a defensive position coach, that is about what he is qualified for. I will watch due to Ben's last year, but no changes next year, not that anyone here or Rooney's will care, I will not watch again. I will watch the Eagles with my wife, I still love football. There will be no emotions tied to the Steelers anymore, thanks Mike! Piss Poor Product and in 24 hrs the excuse machine will spin his wheels in the press conference with his word of the day calendar. Over 17 years of inept coaching, one man remains and the status quo stays the same, the standard is the standard = Mediocrity!

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
"Harbaugh has had coaches hired away and move elsewhere in the NFL. Tomlin coaching tree resembles the Castanza Festivus Tree!"

This! This point cannot be argued and my biggest complaint with Mike, his ego will not allow him to hire coaches that maybe smarter than him.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that Tibs could coach better.
Not sure how they can win a game when the coach has them kneeling throughout the entirety to fight the injustice of NFL slavery.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Good coaches can come from anywhere. Look at cowher he was a special teams coach. I don't think he was high on peoples coaching list. I have no issue with the team hiring Tomlin as I'm sure he gave a great interview. Other than being a good speaker i don't think Tomlin brings much to the team. Game planning and X's and O's are terrible. You can blame the coordinators, but who is their boss? Either Tomlin is controlling the crappy playcalls or he is not taking control and holding the coordinators responsible. Same with putting Ray Ray out there the guy is a turnover waiting to happen, but yet we keep trotting him out there. It's not like he has explosive capabilities. I just think they need to bring in a more strategy oriented coach.
Shades was the Vikings’ DC for exactly one year when he was hired here. His defense had the unique distinction of being the #1 run defense and dead last #32 in pass defense in the same season.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
How is it racist to require interviews only? It isn't requiring anyone to hire anyone, that I would have a real problem with it but simply requiring people get an interview isn't hurting anyone. There are some topics I agree with you on but this is one I think you are way off.
Do they also require teams to interview at least one hispanic, one asian, one middle-eastern and one caucasian candidate? If not... the rule is inherently racist.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Do they also require teams to interview at least one hispanic, one asian, one middle-eastern and one caucasian candidate? If not... the rule is inherently racist.
The rule requires a minority candidate not a specific race. Again since it doesn't require either a specific minority or that they be hired I don't see a problem. There is a history of minorities being ignored for coaching and management positions. I have no problem requiring access to interviews at all. My line is not requiring quotas in actual hiring.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
This whole Rooney Rule would piss me the **** off, if I were a minority candidate. If you were interviewed and did not get the job, how would you know you weren’t just a ”token” interview to meet the “rule”?

I don’t know what the answer should be, but I do know that basing ANYTHING off of someone’s ethnic group is wrong.
I wonder how pissed off Tomlin is? How much has he made? Seriously though. Tomlin got a chance to interview where before he might not have. Others might not get the job but gain interviewing experience. It worked in Tomlin's case. Even though I think he ran his course here in Pittsburgh a few years ago.

deljzc

Reaction score
No profession in the world has as much nepotism as the NFL coaching world. None.

I would argue there used to be more RELATIVES of white coaches in the NFL than black coaches. But I also think that glass ceiling applies just as much to qualified coaches in general, not just blacks. You might be the greatest white coach in the world, but you still might not get a stiff of the NFL coaching world unless you "know someone" to get you into that fraternity.

No profession relies more on the "feeder system" and advancement/promotions more. That's why all the "snap shots" of counting how many black coaches we have at some point doesn't really mean anything. Arguably, the snap shot of today's head coaches is really a reflection of who was in the fraternity 10-15 years ago as scouts, film guys, positional coaches and assistants. And THOSE positions is where most of the nepotism really happens. Those are the positions that are constantly being filled not based on ability, but based on "who you know".

Tomlin certainly isn't the best black coach out there because I don't think he's that good. But he got into "the fraternity" somehow via knowing someone who knows someone who got him on Tony Dungy's staff.

The true failure of NFL coaching and management and why quality is below average EVERYWHERE is that nepotism over quality is so prevalent at the lowest levels of career development. I mean, when teams hire a film assistant or assistant scout, they are NOT interviewing 5-10 people from all across the country and from different walks of life. It is almost always a "friend of a friend" or a relative that just plays football or just graduated from college that played football or hung out/helped the football team.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
You literally sound retarded.

diver

Reaction score
"Harbaugh has had coaches hired away and move elsewhere in the NFL. Tomlin coaching tree resembles the Castanza Festivus Tree!"

This! This point cannot be argued and my biggest complaint with Mike, his ego will not allow him to hire coaches that maybe smarter than him.
I want Tomlin gone. I do. But then I read stupid arguments and I find myself defending the guy. The "coaching tree" thing is just stupid. Just getting a guy hired doesn't mean ****. Belechick has had guys from his staffs hired, but only one (Vrabel) has done a damn thing. Chuck Noll didn't have some great professional coaching tree. Lombardi either. It proves nothing one way or the other.

mdk2

Reaction score
Thanks for the laugh, Jen!

mdk2

Reaction score
I want Tomlin gone. I do. But then I read stupid arguments and I find myself defending the guy. The "coaching tree" thing is just stupid. Just getting a guy hired doesn't mean ****. Belechick has had guys from his staffs hired, but only one (Vrabel) has done a damn thing. Chuck Noll didn't have some great professional coaching tree. Lombardi either. It proves nothing one way or the other.
I think it shows the success of a football team or in Tomlin's case, lack thereof.

When guys are hired from the staff, it shows they are winning or really putting in those Xs and Os to make a portion of the team better.

In Tomlin's case, after Lebeau/Harrison/Troy/Ike..etc were done. He needed 1st round picks basically at every position on defense to finally have a reliable defense. He couldn't see what players thrived at and then build the defense around that. Instead he kept trying to put square pegs in round holes until finally he got guys that had high level skills.

As for offense, he's relied on Ben to carry him. End of story.

diver

Reaction score
I think it shows the success of a football team or in Tomlin's case, lack thereof.

When guys are hired from the staff, it shows they are winning or really putting in those Xs and Os to make a portion of the team better.

In Tomlin's case, after Lebeau/Harrison/Troy/Ike..etc were done. He needed 1st round picks basically at every position on defense to finally have a reliable defense. He couldn't see what players thrived at and then build the defense around that. Instead he kept trying to put square pegs in round holes until finally he got guys that had high level skills.

As for offense, he's relied on Ben to carry him. End of story.
The Steelers had one of the greatest defenses of all time in the 70s. Which player on that defense didn't have 'high level skills?" Players with high level skills is what make coaches "great."

i just disagree with just a guy getting hired means something.

mdk2

Reaction score
The Steelers had one of the greatest defenses of all time in the 70s. Which player on that defense didn't have 'high level skills?" Players with high level skills is what make coaches "great."

i just disagree with just a guy getting hired means something.
Big difference between drafting what turned out to be great players and acquiring/signing them.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't hide I love the Steelers and Hate Tomlin and have since the day he was hired. Wrong decision from jump street.

So living where I do, (PA but minutes from MD and equal distance from Philly and the cesspool that is Baltimore) I compare Tomlin to Harbaugh. Both been about the same tenure with MT longer. But they both came in very inexperienced. We here wanted Harbaugh locked up LONG TERM as he was horrible and even their fans wanted him out of town. Very similar to Tomlin, inept coaching and both press conference talkers, however the Harbaugh's are ALL whiners. Harbaugh was set to be fired, asked owner for one more chance. That was 4 or 5 years ago. Harbaugh got rid of all of his "buddies" Eagles and college coaching friends and hired the best available he could find for each position and coordinator jobs. They all had experience and basically brought in their systems. Harbaugh stayed out of it, let coaches coach and coordinators call and scheme the plays. Tomlin has consistently failed in staffing his roster of coaches and hires his buddies who are as he would say, below the line. Harbaugh has had coaches hired away and move elsewhere in the NFL. Tomlin coaching tree resembles the Castanza Festivus Tree! I don't know how the war room on draft day goes, but who ever makes those decisions on who is drafted is horrible. Again, in Baltimore Ozzy was not a great drafter, missed a ton; however he was a free agent beast. Steelers never missed on WR or LB's, not anymore. Tomlin values the wrong players most of the time and keeps them way too long. So in my opinion, at the end of the day; since Tomlin is never going anywhere; he needs to bring in beast coordinators and get the best young up and coming position coaches and for a change emulate Harbaugh! Sit back let them coach, talk to the media and keep things moving forward and make players and coaches held accountable. Tomlin has failed every day in his job, even in wins since he has been around I have cussed at him and questioned most of what he does. Ben and some great players have kept these teams afloat. Tomlin has not bettered any player or impact this team in a positive way ever. He has wasted more talent than any other. Great speaker, motivator, friend, cool but HORRIBLE coach. He should be a defensive position coach, that is about what he is qualified for. I will watch due to Ben's last year, but no changes next year, not that anyone here or Rooney's will care, I will not watch again. I will watch the Eagles with my wife, I still love football. There will be no emotions tied to the Steelers anymore, thanks Mike! Piss Poor Product and in 24 hrs the excuse machine will spin his wheels in the press conference with his word of the day calendar. Over 17 years of inept coaching, one man remains and the status quo stays the same, the standard is the standard = Mediocrity!

There is a lot of truth / facts / standard in this post, THANKS for the insight on a lot of things.

Coach Tomlin has himself surrounded by long time friends that wouldn't have a job on any other team, "Bubbles for one". He needs to fire nearly every coach currently on the payroll. He needs to hire the BEST available, not friend but whom really knows his stuff, X & Os sort of cordinators and proven NFL experience. He has to realize he doesn't need to be the smartest in the room, he just has to make it all come together and ******* toughen up on things.

Myself I doubt Coach Tomlin will ever be able to elevate.

Salute the nation

Last edited: