• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Fire Tomlin

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Could you imagine if some of these guys had Hines / A.smith / H. miller / or little chest workman attitudes towards their jobs..................

Salute the nation

jenaie42

Reaction score
That's a great story but here at the STEELERS camp it seems they don't draft players to fit their scheme. To many square pegs and not enough round holes so to speak. They get a few but it seems the system is either to complicated or changes to much for the players they get.

Salute the nation
I think you have a misunderstanding about a coach job and a coordinator job. You see the people in the booths and the coordinator on the side line they are usually the ones who make most of the decision on the plays. Tomlin does sometime i don’t hear you mention their screw up. Ben is old and their defense suck. This is a young man game and the Steelers need to make a chang.

jenaie42

Reaction score
So what Bakersfield have about 3 commercials what’s your poin?

jenaie42

Reaction score
The way I look at this anymore is they cannot compete with better teams right now. They just can't. Maybe it has to get so bad they will almost be forced to move on. Since they sure as hell aren't getting closed to a SB, I think we should really hope it gets bad.

I hate even saying it. I feel like a bleeding *****. But you watch this team, and it feels like there is no hope.
I agree they will have to go sooo low before they are willing to make a change which is sad reall.

jenaie42

Reaction score
HC’s do not sit back on their ***** and wait for players chosen FOR THEM to arrive. He is instrumental in the selections made, he just does not seem able to evaluate and/or develop young players.
I agree and it’s a young man game

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
So what Bakersfield have about 3 commercials what’s your poin?
Yeah, and Baker should be concentrating on football, too. The point is at the top of your head.

Southern Burgh

Reaction score
What's the chances we can get this thread to rival the Dri Archer one? I'm down.

diver

Reaction score
I'm an older guy and remember the much of 70s well, so subsequently I remember the 80s. There were some bad teams in there. But if I recall correctly, at least they competed. This team for stretches doesn't even compete. I'd fire Tomlin just for that. At least compete hard. And here's the thing...that can be easily seen. I don't know what adjustments they make if they do any or whatever. I'm not in that locker room. But I can see that there were holes there for 33 to run through that I bet he hasn't seen since high school. That is lack of competing. It's pathetic.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think you have a misunderstanding about a coach job and a coordinator job. You see the people in the booths and the coordinator on the side line they are usually the ones who make most of the decision on the plays. Tomlin does sometime i don’t hear you mention their screw up. Ben is old and their defense suck. This is a young man game and the Steelers need to make a chang.

I think you have a misunderstanding of coaches and coordinators do have input on player personel and choices 101 football. The actual decision is made from the coach / general manage / "Tombert" but the coordinators / assistant(s) / scout team all have input and that is not a misunderstanding.

Oh and those changes need to be coaches and coordinators, but then that takes the MAN from the top (Art Duces) for that decision, unless you have a isunderstanding of how that works.

So just to be clear, assistant / coordinators / scouts / HC all have input as to the kind of players they want, the degree of input is proportinate to job position.

AS for misunderstanding overall accountability, HC is accountable for the entire team so just maybe he is accountable for the player selection / play calls / scheme ect. ect. and that is where the problem starts.

Last nights game showed Ben Roethlisberger is a GREAT QB that is playing behind the worse OL in the nfl paired with a decimated defense and very poor coaching (both OC & HC) but excuses don't bring wins. Earlier in the season Canada & Tomlin would not let Ben audible out of a play but (last night example) once they realized that was a mistake you can see the step up. They also didn't have an audible play package installed because their excuse was the young OL wouldn't be able to understand it. Crock of **** and poor coaching for that.

AM I clear enough ?

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Last night was an embarrassment. Tomlin needs to go but first Art needs to go. His ideology is the problem. You don’t hire someone because of skin color. Tomlin was a **** coordinator with Minnesota and is a **** coach for the Steelers. Sorry but coach Affirmative Action needs to go and our cuck President needs to go with him. I don’t care what pigment the next coach is but we need to find him.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
Last nights game showed Ben Roethlisberger is a GREAT QB that is playing behind the worse OL in the nfl paired with a decimated defense and very poor coaching (both OC & HC) but excuses don't bring wins.
Ben is NOT the problem here. I see only 8 guys on this team with NFL level starting lineup talent...Ben, Dionte (maybe), TJ, Boz, Cam, Minkah and two rookies, Friermuth (probably) and Harris. The rest of this team is hot garbage...3rd stringers at best. There isn't one starter on the Steeler OL I wouldn't replace with a fire hydrant. When 5 of your last 9 first round picks include Jarvis Jones, Artie Burns, Terrell Edmunds, Devin Bush and no pick in 2020 then you have gutted your team. Shazier and Dupree are 2 other firsts that are gone so all you have to show for first round picks in the last 10 years is basically TJ Watt, Minkah and current rookie Najee Harris.

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben is NOT the problem here. I see only 8 guys on this team with NFL level starting lineup talent...Ben, Dionte (maybe), TJ, Boz, Cam, Minkah and two rookies, Friermuth (probably) and Harris. The rest of this team is hot garbage...3rd stringers at best. There isn't one starter on the Steeler OL I wouldn't replace with a fire hydrant. When 5 of your last 9 first round picks include Jarvis Jones, Artie Burns, Terrell Edmunds, Devin Bush and no pick in 2020 then you have gutted your team. Shazier and Dupree are 2 other firsts that are gone so all you have to show for first round picks in the last 10 years is basically TJ Watt, Minkah and current rookie Najee Harris.

You forgot Mondeauxxxxxxxx!!!

1639174634598.png

diver

Reaction score
I agree, although I'd be willing to give Moore and Green more time. I like Moore's toughness. He has been hurt a couple of games but keeps gutting it out. I think you can build on that. Same with Green. He keeps plugging away, too, and doesn't look for excuses. It really isn't their fault they aren't ready. The powers that be screwed that up.

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
I agree, although I'd be willing to give Moore and Green more time. I like Moore's toughness. He has been hurt a couple of games but keeps gutting it out. I think you can build on that. Same with Green. He keeps plugging away, too, and doesn't look for excuses. It really isn't their fault they aren't ready. The powers that be screwed that up.
I would give Moore and Green more time as backups to real NFL players. They can get better in spot duty and in practice. Banner could do the same. Chuks can get on with his life's work, or move on and get some other team's QB killed. But who are we kidding? This organization hasn't given a **** about it's OL in over a decade.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I can't think of hardly any players (outside of maybe WR) that Tomlin and his coaching staff's over the years have developed. If we draft a great player, then we get great results. I can't think of hardly any players that we found ways to make into better players than what they were before they got to the Steelers.
There are a handful, like AV… but most development is tied to the position coach… dupree developed when butler went back to lb coaching and porter left… I don’t like our staff in that regards

Look at cowhers last staff

Grimm at ol was a top position coach,
Dick hoak was a fantastic rb coach,
John Mitchell is one of the best at DL, bruce arians was maybe the best wr coach I’ve seen…
Keith butler was great with Lbs,
How many Tight Ends developed under Daniels? Miller, spaeth, James, even Gentry..

even at db perry was mostly a safety only guy but Ray horton was an assistant and his rep with dbs is really good… he has been a dc for a bunch of teams…

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
How about Roethlisberger calling out Tomlin?

The clock may be ticking on Ben Roethlisberger's Hall of Fame career, along with the Pittsburgh Steelers' playoff chances in 2021. Pittsburgh dropped a tough contest to the Minnesota Vikings Thursday night that dropped the Steelers a game out of the final playoff spot in the AFC, as eight teams are fighting for three wild card spots.

The Steelers attempted to erase a 29-point deficit -- which would have been the largest comeback in NFL regular season history -- only to fall eight points and 12 yards short in a 36-28 defeat. A frustrated Roethlisberger showcased his emotions throughout the game in multiple situations, specifically in a first half that saw Pittsburgh trail 29-0 and the quarterback being hit several times while trying to get the offense going.

"I try to do my best not to (get frustrated), but sometimes it's hard not to," Roethlisberger said. "And I hate that because I don't want to seem like I'm frustrated about anything in particular, but just a general frustration sometimes."

Roethlisberger didn't specifically vent his frustrations at any players, yet deferred one particular incident to head coach Mike Tomlin. Steelers wide receiver Chase Claypool was benched by Tomlin for a portion of the game after an unnecessary roughness penalty in the first quarter. Claypool struck his finger in the mask of Minnesota Vikings cornerback Bashaud Breeland, forcing Tomlin to bench one of his top wideouts as a result.

Claypool's absence affected Pittsburgh's offense in the first half, but not to the extent later in the game. The Steelers wideout made a 9-yard catch on fourth-and-1 with 42 seconds left to extend the Steelers' final drive -- then proceeded to celebrate with a first-down celebration afterward. With no time outs and the clock ticking, the Steelers wasted 17 seconds between plays to spike the ball due to Claypool's celebration.

"It's not really my job. To me that goes up to Coach Tomlin. That's what he needs to do. That's his job as the head coach," Roethlisberger said on addressing Claypool's in-game issues. "As the quarterback, it's my job to help manage what we do on the field and getting 1st downs and trying to score.

"Dealing with player issues and whatever else you want to say, that's the coach's job, not mine."

Roethlisberger doesn't have time to dwell on mistakes and in-game incidents. The Steelers' season is dwindling away and the opportunity to gain ground on the teams they are chasing leaves no margin of error.

"I don't look at moral victories," Roethlisberger said. "I told the guys that as I walked around to the linemen and some of the skill guys, I'm not going to tell you all great moral victory, great fight back, because it's not that, but I'm proud of them for fighting."

diver

Reaction score
There are a handful, like AV… but most development is tied to the position coach… dupree developed when butler went back to lb coaching and porter left… I don’t like our staff in that regards

Look at cowhers last staff

Grimm at ol was a top position coach,
Dick hoak was a fantastic rb coach,
John Mitchell is one of the best at DL, bruce arians was maybe the best wr coach I’ve seen…
Keith butler was great with Lbs,
How many Tight Ends developed under Daniels? Miller, spaeth, James, even Gentry..

even at db perry was mostly a safety only guy but Ray horton was an assistant and his rep with dbs is really good… he has been a dc for a bunch of teams…
Look at some of the talent though under each of those coaches. The talent helped them to look pretty good, too. A guy like Hines Ward, with the drive he had, would make a lot of coaches look pretty good.

That statement is in no way supporting these coaches. They leave a lot to be desired. They need new coaches without question. But they also need better talent. And better heads. I think, after watching Claypool, I'd take better heads first, then if you got some better coaches you might have something.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
It's become painfully obvious that Green is in no way ready to play center in the NFL. They forced him to start at a position that he is not most comfortable playing. The guy started 31 games at left guard at Illinois, and 4 at center. The 3 games he played there as a senior were only because the regular center was out for COVID reasons. I have no idea why their evaluations led them to believe that his best fit is center, but it was clearly wrong. Give him a chance at guard, where he knows what the **** he's doing.

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
Finally - the root of the problem. This didn't happen overnight.

Holy crap, I'm liking Ryan Clark more and more.

Steelcan, I'm re-posting your vid......it needs to be seen. There's nothing but truth in it.

Also this - does Claypool say "******" at exactly the 1:00 mark in a presser? I mean, we cuss on here, but would you do that in a presser?

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, Steven A., we should think about Tomlin being the coach AND the GM. That's the answer. That'll fix everything.

lol

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, Steven A., we should think about Tomlin being the coach AND the GM. That's the answer. That'll fix everything.

lol
Like Tomlin doesn't have an input on who's drafted... Bush was His guy and so were the others, that includes Watt, but he has to be accountable for the fuckups and there are too many, like trusting a 3rd and a 4th rounder to start and protect your soon to retire HoF QB.

They don't have to be all home runs but come on, Jarvis, burns, Edmunds, bush