• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Fire Tomlin

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Before someone else posts it in another new thread

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2469084112516/analytics-say-mike-tomlin-is-the-nfl-s-worst-coach…

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Now I don’t think he is tge worse or the best… he has flaws and is stubborn… i think he could put a better staff together and I definitely think he might have lost his voice in the locker room after a decade and a half…

If he misses the playoffs this year they should seriously consider moving on or at least preparing to

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Now I don’t think he is tge worse or the best… he has flaws and is stubborn… i think he could put a better staff together and I definitely think he might have lost his voice in the locker room after a decade and a half…

If he misses the playoffs this year they should seriously consider moving on or at least preparing to
With a HC that is not a X and O guru you need coordinators that are. If you fail in both areas you might be able to hold the fort together but you won't be accomplishing anything significant.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
His ship has sailed for opportunities at championships. It has finally disintegrated with each core player and leader retirement.

Now all that's left is the suck zone for several more years. If I'm him I'd move on. Retire for a year or two and come back for a massive payday with another team.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I disagree because Tomlin has nothing to do with the performance of the players. It's the players performance that loses the game, not the coach. I can say, that Tomlin should have made better decisions when keeping players and letting go players.
I cannot agree with what you say here. Yes he does have everything to do how his players perform. It’s coaching your players up as soon as they arrive upon being drafted. Putting all players in the best position to succeed. Discipline when needed and benching when needed and not enabling them. Bringing in free agents who fit your scheme and not just because you like his pedigree.
Look at what Belicheck did with virtual no names for years at a lot of positions. He drafted and brought in guys that he could coach up and that fit his plan. Guys like Brushi, Vrabel, a host of lesser known running backs like Deon Lewis and White, Edelman and Amendola, and lots of no name receivers who just fit into what he wanted to do.
No Tomlin likes their Pedigree. Just look at some of the guys he’s brought in through free agency and stupid trades. Nick Vannet are you out there! Vance McDonald who had a handful of good games but was nothing special. Derrick Watt a true FB he refuses to utilize. Butterfingers Moncrief who couldn’t catch a cold. I could go on and on.
Tomlin is very much responsible for his player’s performance, otherwise why even have a coach if he’s not held accountable for what gets put in the field.
One last example of Tomlin’s incompetence is the recent story of Kendrick Green finally figuring out what was causing his high snaps.He had been wearing gloves since he began his illustrious career as our center causing high snaps. Tomlin and one his lackeys Klemm never ever considered that? Are you kidding me! Tomlin never considers that could be an issue. I could go on and on but it makes me to depressed what this bafoon has done to the image of this once proud organization.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Ron Cook actually has a pretty scathing piece on Tomlin in the Post Gazette. I didn't know if we could post those links here, so I won't, but I encourage you to read it. I'll leave you with a small excerpt.....

I think back to something Tomlin said after the Steelers fell behind 23-0 in the first half at Minnesota on Dec. 9 when he was asked about the team’s slow starts.

“I’m not overly concerned about that perspective. Oftentimes, you’re simply gathering information or setting things up for later in the contest.”

I’m sure I have heard a more nonsensical answer, but I’ll be damned if I can remember one.

Yeah.....pretty much.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Joe Starkey's article pretty much crucifies all of them.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The media is years behind many fans in the criticism of Tomlin. We saw small glimpses last year and are really seeing it come out this year. It’s not even that he’s a bad coach, it was maybe just better for both sides to move on.

Unfortunately, I think they missed the boat and they’re going to let Tomlin guide them through the rebuild. It’s why he got a hefty extension before the season. He really needed to build a top notch staff last year to help with this process and failed miserably.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Didn’t want to start a new thread.

So after next week this is Tomlin’s team. All of Cowher’s players will be retired. I think it’s kind of funny the ones who love Tomlin the most seem to want Rudolph to fail. Personally, I feel Tomlin’s future hinges on Rudolph. Or I guess whichever QB Tomlin decides on. Cowher and the Steelers were almost always competitive with the likes of Neil O’Donnell, Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox. It wasn’t until a future hall of famer was drafted that Cowher was able to get over the hump and win a Super Bowl.

Tomlin was handed a Super Bowl caliber team. He won a bowl which his endorsers are quick to point out. But so did Barry Switzer. The next three years will tell us if Tomlin is a good coach or if Roethlisberger hid his deficiencies.

Personally, I hope Rudolph becomes a great QB and I am completely wrong about Tomlin. Because at the end of the day, as Roethlisberger stated, it’s all about winning.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Ridiculous statement to make by Tomlin! Gathering information or setting things up for later in the contest. He really said that? Holy ****!
Lately his press conferences are just bizarre the word puzzle is just getting crazier… you know 15 years, I think it‘s 15, is just a very long time for any cosch any sport, the team just really needs a new direction a new vib, I actually think they need a change all the up at the top. time for art jr to turn it over the the next Rooney and let the next Rooney hire his people. With Ben leaving its just a good time to change it all, uniforms, replace Steely McBeam with cheerleaders in G-strings, change it all! But bring back the smack mouth run and the steel curtain defensive line! You can’t give up the line scrimmage like we currently do and expect to win games consistently. Go Steelers!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Didn’t want to start a new thread.

So after next week this is Tomlin’s team. All of Cowher’s players will be retired. I think it’s kind of funny the ones who love Tomlin the most seem to want Rudolph to fail. Personally, I feel Tomlin’s future hinges on Rudolph. Or I guess whichever QB Tomlin decides on. Cowher and the Steelers were almost always competitive with the likes of Neil O’Donnell, Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox. It wasn’t until a future hall of famer was drafted that Cowher was able to get over the hump and win a Super Bowl.

Tomlin was handed a Super Bowl caliber team. He won a bowl which his endorsers are quick to point out. But so did Barry Switzer. The next three years will tell us if Tomlin is a good coach or if Roethlisberger hid his deficiencies.

Personally, I hope Rudolph becomes a great QB and I am completely wrong about Tomlin. Because at the end of the day, as Roethlisberger stated, it’s all about winning.
I don't think anyone wants Rudolph to fail, just that we've seen what he has done and don't feel he's a franchise QB or even a guy who can help consistently lead the Steelers to the playoffs. Based on his comments this year, I believe Tomlin wants a QB who can move to extend plays. I think it's one of the reasons they've spent so much time scouting Sam Howell.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
With a HC that is not a X and O guru you need coordinators that are. If you fail in both areas you might be able to hold the fort together but you won't be accomplishing anything significant.

Discribes our current head coach to a "T"

Salute the nation

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I was not thrilled even after Tomlin won the SB. Of course i gave him the benefit of the doubt because he was new. However its the same old problems over and over again just with different players / coaches.