• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Five Questions

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://triblive.com/mobile/6468459-96/steelers-nfl-camp

Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
By Alan Robinson
Steelers Reporter
Published: Thursday, July 24, 2014, 9:25 p.m.
Updated 58 minutes ago
4 4 0
Google +
Reddit

Blogger

It's not the questions the Steelers struggled with the past couple of seasons. It was finding answers to them.

A year ago, they couldn't find an answer to depth issues at running back until they were 0-4 or for all the sacks they were allowing. And world-class players such as Tom Brady and Calvin Johnson had all the answers to solving what once was one of the NFL's most puzzling defenses.

As they begin training camp Friday in Latrobe — they're the only AFC North team that still holds an old-style, college-campus camp — the Steelers are convinced they have fewer question marks than they did during successive 8-8 seasons in 2012 and 2013.

But many remain.

DID THEY GIVE BEN ROETHLISBERGER ENOUGH HELP?

Lance Moore looks to be a plug-and-play replacement for slot receiver Jerricho Cotchery (10 TD catches in '13), rookie Martavis Bryant has exceptionally fast feet, and Antonio Brown is coming off one of the best seasons in Steelers history. And Heath Miller is healthy again.

But in one of the most top-heavy wide receiver draft classes, the Steelers passed over big names to take defensive players in the first two rounds.

“I would have loved getting Ben a wideout,” NFL Network analyst Jamie Dukes said. “That perplexes me a little bit. That may come back to haunt them. I would have loved to see them bring in a speed-merchant type of guy.”

Instead, the Steelers begin camp with a wide-open receiver position, where Moore, Bryant, Markus Wheaton, Justin Brown and Darrius Heyward-Bey will compete to replace Emmanuel Sanders.

HOW FAST ARE THEY?

Dri Archer might be the fastest player in team history. Ryan Shazier might be the fastest linebacker. Speed abounds on a team that often looked a step slow the past two seasons.

“By skewing younger, they're going to become faster,” NFL Network analyst Brian Baldinger said. “Mike Tomlin understands as a defensive guy how hard it is to match up (with speed). That's why he said, ‘We've got to go get us one of those.' That's what Dri Archer represents.”

HOW MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE WILL MIKE MUNCHAK MAKE?

Despite boasting four first- or second-round picks on the offensive line, the Steelers struggled to find a healthy, stable unit until midseason. They believe they have one in Kelvin Beachum, Ramon Foster, Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro and Marcus Gilbert/Mike Adams.

Can Munchak, one of the NFL's renowned teachers, make this line into one of the NFL's best, something the Steelers didn't have even while winning Super Bowls in 2005 and 2008?

“I thought DeCastro could be the next Alan Faneca,” said Dukes, a former NFL lineman. “I haven't seen that yet. Maybe (now) Alan Faneca will show up.”

WILL TODD HALEY FINALLY RUN THE BALL THE WAY HE'S WANTED SINCE BEING HIRED IN 2012?

The Steelers took advantage of a deflated market for running backs to sign LeGarrette Blount (right) to back up Le'Veon Bell (left), who is expected to be a 1,000-yard rusher if he stays healthy.

With Archer thrown in to create more offensive diversity, this looks to be Haley's best run-game unit since his Jamaal Charles-led Kansas City Chiefs offense led the NFL in rushing in 2010.

“I think running the ball, whether we are huddling or no-huddling, is something that we are going to do better — a lot better,” Haley said.

WILL BIG PLAYS BE A BIG PROBLEM AGAIN?

The Steelers gave up a league-high 11 plays of 50 yards or more last season and had only one themselves.

The added speed on offense could generate such plays, and the Steelers could begin to eliminate them if Troy Polamalu can go back to being a full-time safety and Jason Worilds can replicate his second-half sack stats.

“And (safety) Mike Mitchell? He's versatile, probably more explosive than Ryan Clark,” NFL Network analyst Solomon Wilcots said. “He's got range. He can go man-to-man with some tight ends. He's going to give them more flexibility and more speed and more athleticism on the back end” to eliminate long catch-and-run plays.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
The 2005 Oline was pretty damn good.

GarrettG

Reaction score

Exactly.

And WTF is Jamie Dukes talking about with DeCastro? For all intents and purposes, DeCastro was a rookie last year and aquitted himself well. So he's not yet Faneca...who the hell is?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Exactly.

And WTF is Jamie Dukes talking about with DeCastro? For all intents and purposes, DeCastro was a rookie last year and aquitted himself well. So he's not yet Faneca...who the hell is?

I am pretty sure Jamie Dukes is full on retard. Faneca was an elite hall of fame guard so comparing ANY guard to him is just unfair. Also, DeCastro and Faneca play completely difference styles imo so again comparing the two make no sense.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Someone should tell Jamie Dukes that DeCastro plays right guard, not left guard...

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
ESPN: "here, fat boy, read this"

Dukes: "gtfufgkgv7tygg7t"

ESPN: "here's yer check"

Vader

Reaction score

They just assumed it was bad. Most national sports people don't know much about individual teams except their star players and maybe their recent draft picks. I'm just shocked Dukes even got DeCastro on the OL somewhere.

deljzc

Reaction score
Here are the five questions to me that matter:

1. It's not if, but how much will the Steelers take advantage of their schedule this year?

With all their games played in the east coast time zone, limited travel and a 3rd place schedule vs. the AFC South and NFC South, the Steelers are ripe to bounce back strong and into serious playoff contention. Missing the playoffs is unacceptable with this schedule and scenario and the question should be not just whether we make the playoffs but by how much. The Steelers should never be underdogs by more than 3 points all season and should be favorites in 12 or 13 games. Teams that reach expectations with those types of early lines win 10 games.

2. Where does the first big injury come from and how do the Steelers handle it?

The Steelers are trying hard to get younger and faster, but as a result are thin at multiple positions and have limited experience in their backups. Based on recent history, it's not a matter of if a season-ending injury will take out a Steelers starter, but when. Just consider the depth and "next man up" scenarios of the following starters: A. Brown, H. Miller, L. Bell, L. Timmons, J. Worilds, J. Jones, C. Heyward, T. Polamalu, M. Mitchell, I. Taylor, C. Allen. Can we survive when/if one of those players falls? Is the drop off to their replacement too great?

3. Can the offensive side of the ball start to act consistent week-to-week-to-week in their execution?

Over the past 3 seasons (1 under Arians and 2 under Haley), we have shown flashes of good offensive football, only to follow up with ugly and inconsistent play. It just bounces too much from good to bad to average to bad to good to average again the last 50 games this team has played.

4. Can the defense start to generate big plays and turnovers?

Many have blamed talent for the lack of splash plays the defense has made the last three seasons, but there is also room to question the coaching staff and scheme. The Steelers defense has been noticeably predictable of late and needs a bit of "mix up" from week-to-week. Healthy players will help and so might the added speed from Shazier, but it's still a question of when it clicks and the trend breaks. The team is -27 in turnover margin and -16 in sack differential since 2011 (three seasons). Hard to consistently win when those are facts.

5. How well does Tomlin coach?

Am I the only one that really questions his capabilities as a head coach, year-to-year-to-year? It's not just in-game decisions (which have been spotty at best). It's not just game plans (which might contribute to lack of consistency). It's not just his growing redundancy and rhetoric in press conferences. Is he really "the one" to be the next great Steelers coach or is he a mirage and con artist that is riding the coattails of the organization and a hall-of-fame quarterback?

As we get further and further away from Cowher-developed talent, the more Tomlin is being scrutinized for his vision as a coach on personnel matters and system. Tomlin's first 4 seasons were better than his last 4. His first 2 were MUCH better than his last 2. This is an important season to reverse those trends.

Those are my questions heading into the season.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
It's not just his growing redundancy and rhetoric in press conferences.

Man, you have tunnel vision. How a head coach "performs" in a press conference means as much about the quality of the coach as whether he prefers bagels or English muffins for breakfast.

Last edited:

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
And mighty good questions they are too Del...better in fact than Mr Robinson's IMO.

The glaring question you ask that he did not..."2. Where does the first big injury come from and how do the Steelers handle it?"
..will be the 'tell' for what our season will look like in Nov. and possibly part of the answer to your last question.

deljzc

Reaction score
The injury excuse is becoming too easy for this organization (and it's fans too based on this message board) to keep making.

Injuries happen. They will again happen this year. So what are we going to do about it to keep winning? If it's not Roethlisberger being banged up beyond repair or the offensive line in tatters or Woodley/Harrison not being there to provide the sacks or Polamalu's fragile health we would have won a million games. So says our fan base and so believes our front office apparently.

Well anyone that expected that stuff in the first place might be missing the point. For some reason "next man up" hasn't exactly worked as well in Pittsburgh as other places. For some reason, the minute an injury happens the next starter isn't even on the roster but instead is an emergency cap expenditure on a limited free agent market. For some reason our supposed "backups" aren't really backups at all. They are unprepared and given little to no faith by the coaching staff. For some reason an injury to a very mediocre but smart inside linebacker yields HUGE changes in philosophy and snap counts for the entire defensive unit.

For example, if Worilds or Jones get hurts, what's the bet that the Steelers go sign James Harrison rather than let the supposed backups (Moats, Carter or Zimwaldt) get meaningful snaps? Are the chances 25% Harrison is brought back? 50% 90%? What happens if Heyward goes down? How much you bet Keisel all of sudden gets his contract demands of more than minimum salary? What happens if Timmons gets hurt? Want to bet we go find Larry Foote someway, somehow?

It's not like I don't want to go young, but if you believe a guy ins't a backup, then he isn't your backup and you have to wonder what the hell is going on. If Carter isn't good enough by now to be #3 on the depth chart, cut him and sign Harrison. Period. If Arnsfeld or Thomas can't be expected to play significant snaps, you better go get Keisel soon.

That's the kind of logic in this organization I don't really get. After 3 seasons we need to KNOW about Chris Carter. Not debate. Not discuss. Not wait and see. KNOW. He is either dead weight or not. He is either an NFL player or not. And his salary and cap space could easily be transferred into James Harrison for just this season as protection against those injuries we've seen in the past.

We're at a point where the cap is now under control. We have $6 million in room. Roethlisberger's new deal will significantly cut his cap number. The cap is going up by $7 million. Worilds won't even be on the books next year (unless we tag him).

Things are finally looking okay cap room wise for the short term. No more restructures necessary. Less veterans on the roster soaking up 3rd contract bloated contracts (for what they provide).

Let's get the roster as strong and talented as possible.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Well anyone that expected that stuff in the first place might be missing the point. For some reason "next man up" hasn't exactly worked as well in Pittsburgh as other places. For some reason, the minute an injury happens the next starter isn't even on the roster but instead is an emergency cap expenditure on a limited free agent market. For some reason our supposed "backups" aren't really backups at all. They are unprepared and given little to no faith by the coaching staff. For some reason an injury to a very mediocre but smart inside linebacker yields HUGE changes in philosophy and snap counts for the entire defensive unit.

If Carter isn't good enough by now to be #3 on the depth chart, cut him and sign Harrison. Period. If Arnsfeld or Thomas can't be expected to play significant snaps, you better go get Keisel soon.

That's the kind of logic in this organization I don't really get. After 3 seasons we need to KNOW about Chris Carter. Not debate. Not discuss. Not wait and see. KNOW. He is either dead weight or not. He is either an NFL player or not. And his salary and cap space could easily be transferred into James Harrison for just this season as protection against those injuries we've seen in the past.

I agree,, They HAVE TO KNOW the talent by now.. the fact they haven't brought in keisel or Harrison leads me to believe that they think the underlings have it under control an can step in. But this is the same thing I thought when Colin Powell testified about the WMD's in Iraq. And then there were none..

steelreeling

Reaction score
Here is what I believe Del. The Steelers suffer from Ben Tomlibleau as their head coach-ing philosophy. Tomlin recognized quite rightly that the league was going to move in the direction of two-hand touch and a forty yard dash. Run-- edit--- short 'rub' route and shoot offense on every single damn play. In that situation, the Steelers philosophy, and hell their HOF veterans, were going to be dinosaurs.

Tomlin lived with some growing pains while Roger turned the NFL over in a 5 year span. Tomlin went out and got the young money crew and Mendenhal for Ben thinking their athleticism was going to meld slowly with our power run game and some of the zone routes we ran as an offense. He, Ben, Hines, and Heath did well with that. Of course this was during the Roger transition where PI was being encouraged but hadnt fully taken over. On defense, Tomlin got Timmons and Ziggy and a few others to try and effectively repeat a Derrick Brooks like change. And he, Troy, Harrison, and Ike did well sort of blending that into the 3-4 during that transition. Though most of the talent Tomlin kept getting was more 4-3.

Fast forward to today, those players are either gone or stuck in a rut because the scheme is not fitted to their strength nor talent. Actually, its the other way around. Same for offense, Ben likes it a certain way, he's been trying to revamp the offense to play more like it did with the young money crew but the players we do have on the OL are man and slide guys. They don't run and effectively box out in a zone blocking scheme designed to give the running back and quarterback more room.

Only question that matters in my mind is this: can Tomlin, Lebeau, and Ben change the philosophy of their game to best suit the strength they have on the field?

Or do we see more 5 man rushes with the expectation of just Jones or Worilds HAS to be the one and only one on the field, to beat a 6'8 tackle and sack the QB? We gonna see the NT and DE penetrate, rush 2.5 yards upfield, reposition, only to cover their 'gap responsibilities' while i watch redheaded stepchild fake an inside handoff to a third-string fullback and then flip it right over Heyward's head on a 7 yard in pattern? Is Munchak gonna cram zone-blocking down the throat of DeCastro and Gilbert? Beachum for that matter? **** give me Darnell Stapleton instead. He was able to move and box out once upon a time.

Last edited:

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
deljzc
For some reason "next man up" hasn't exactly worked as well in Pittsburgh as other places. For some reason, the minute an injury happens the next starter isn't even on the roster but instead is an emergency cap expenditure on a limited free agent market. For some reason our supposed "backups" aren't really backups at all. They are unprepared and given little to no faith by the coaching staff. For some reason an injury to a very mediocre but smart inside linebacker yields HUGE changes in philosophy and snap counts for the entire defensive unit.

This has been puzzling me for years. I understand that some players need more time to develop than others but I always wondered why a player was put on the team, or even the practice squad if he wasn't the most qualified player available to the team. Players battle during training camp to qualify for the PS if they can't make the 53. But if someone goes down, especially early in the season, someone else s castoff helping ER4P will get the call before our own PS player.

I realize that there's more to it than just what's in plain view but what it comes down to is that our reserve talent level has to be pretty weak if they aren't allowed to play football...even though the team is paying them to do just that. If that was my business, I would want to know what those paychecks represent in terms of effective payroll expenditures.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
This has been puzzling me for years. I understand that some players need more time to develop than others but I always wondered why a player was put on the team, or even the practice squad if he wasn't the most qualified player available to the team. Players battle during training camp to qualify for the PS if they can't make the 53. But if someone goes down, especially early in the season, someone else s castoff helping ER4P will get the call before our own PS player.

I realize that there's more to it than just what's in plain view but what it comes down to is that our reserve talent level has to be pretty weak if they aren't allowed to play football...even though the team is paying them to do just that. If that was my business, I would want to know what those paychecks represent in terms of effective payroll expenditures.

I could swear that they would rather keep a guy that is capable of (poorly) playing three positions rather than one guy who is a quality backup at just one.