• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

FordFairLane's 2021 Draft Prospect Big Board

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
I noticed you have OT J. Mayfield listed as a third round grade. I understand your position of ranking someone where you think he belongs and I'm not here to debate it considering your evaluation preparation and mine which other than a handful of quarters is zip. It just surprised me considering that some national pimping pundits have him going to the Steelers in round one and should have tons of upside considering he won't turn twenty until late this month. I read that he more than held his own against Chase Young two years ago, that's kind of crazy if he was only 18 at the time.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Not knowing a hell of lot about the college guys entering the draft, I do rely on you guys.

Question. 2-4 months ago a heck of a lot of you guys were predicting Leatherwood as our pick in the 1st. Why has he come out of favour?
Great question. I don't think it is anything he really did as much as how many late first early second round quality tackles there are. He's kind of lumped in with 8 other guys and all are pick your flavor. None are can't miss prospects but all have mostly positive qualities. For example I personally like Samuel Cosmi over Leatherwood. I feel Cosmi is a little more scheme diverse and a better athlete. I feel Leatherwood floor is starting guard or RT which is not bad at all. He does have LT arm length and athleticism but it might take a year or two to get there. Reminds me of Marvel Smith in that sense. That said if Leatherwood is there in round two I would not hesitate to snag him (if Cosmi is gone).

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I noticed you have OT J. Mayfield listed as a third round grade. I understand your position of ranking someone where you think he belongs and I'm not here to debate it considering your evaluation preparation and mine which other than a handful of quarters is zip. It just surprised me considering that some national pimping pundits have him going to the Steelers in round one and should have tons of upside considering he won't turn twenty until late this month. I read that he more than held his own against Chase Young two years ago, that's kind of crazy if he was only 18 at the time.
i like Mayfield but really feel his ceiling is RT and most likely he is a guard in the NFL. I actually almost listed him at guard on my chart. He is a high effort guy which I love. You can tell he loves football and has a hot motor. He has that "dog" in him you want from the trenches. I just don't see the him having the talent of some of the guys above him and he unfortunately is in a draft CRAZY deep at tackles. I think most years he is a solid second. What I don't like in him is he is VERY grabby and I fear it is because he has to be. I think some of the holds he gets away with in the big ten are being called in the NFL.

That said I definitely don't dislike him. I really do feel he has a high floor and should end up starting at either RT or guard in the NFL.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Great question. I don't think it is anything he really did as much as how many late first early second round quality tackles there are. He's kind of lumped in with 8 other guys and all are pick your flavor. None are can't miss prospects but all have mostly positive qualities. For example I personally like Samuel Cosmi over Leatherwood. I feel Cosmi is a little more scheme diverse and a better athlete. I feel Leatherwood floor is starting guard or RT which is not bad at all. He does have LT arm length and athleticism but it might take a year or two to get there. Reminds me of Marvel Smith in that sense. That said if Leatherwood is there in round two I would not hesitate to snag him (if Cosmi is gone).
That is why I went away from Leather. I felt we had two RTs already on the roster. And if he moves to G then the T position suffers for it. I like the player but not for what the Steelers need. Give me Cos or Darri or Jenkins. I think one is there at 24. Will disappoint the RB crowd but really what I am hoping for.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Sermon would be very underwhelming in the second round. I'd rather go Gainwell because he adds huge value as a receiver, something none of our current backs add to the mix.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Another point of conjecture is the fact because of his inexperience. He’s only started a little over two dozen games in college. He definitely has a high ceiling, but his game tape is small. He’s done well going up against some big time players now in the NFL, but many of the evaluators have said he needs a lot of polish before he can be a dominant starter.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Thanks for the hard work putting this together! Why so low on Darrisaw? Most view him as a top 15-20 pick.
Again it’s not that I’m hating on him it’s just a deep draft at tackle. I feel he goes in round one but I wouldn’t be shocked if he slipped to round two. Not working out IMO hurts your stock when you aren’t a sure fire top 5 pick. Might not be a great athlete and he’s trying to hide his flaws. I still think he is an eventual starting LT in the NFL.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Parsons is the best player in the draft.
Talented player yes. But character concerns of love of the game and criticizing his teammates and coaches after quitting on them might drop him in the draft. Teams like Bengals, Ravens, Seahawks won’t care but teams like the steelers and packers who want quality character and passion for football won’t like him.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
Again it’s not that I’m hating on him it’s just a deep draft at tackle. I feel he goes in round one but I wouldn’t be shocked if he slipped to round two. Not working out IMO hurts your stock when you aren’t a sure fire top 5 pick. Might not be a great athlete and he’s trying to hide his flaws. I still think he is an eventual starting LT in the NFL.
Hope you are right about his draft position. He would be a no brainer with pick #24.