• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Former Steelers All-Pro WR Hines Ward announced as semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2022

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
For the sixth year in a row, former Pittsburgh Steelers All-Pro wide receiver and Super Bowl XL MVP, Hines Ward has been named a semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Class of 2022!

.@mvp86hinesward is a semifinalist for the @ProFootballHOF Class of 2022! #PFHOF22

📝
: https://t.co/hacK0P6ewM pic.twitter.com/6l6h0xXK6M

— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) November 24, 2021

Ward was drafted by the Steelers in the third round of the 1998 NFL Draft. He played his entire professional career for the Steelers and he became the team’s all-time leader in receptions, receiving yardage and touchdown receptions.

We wish you the best of luck once again, Hines!

More to come.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
When they make a rule up because of your aggressiveness and to kick it off you were a SB MVP they might want to strongly consider giving him the green light go.

FSF

The Agile Financial
Reaction score
It’s gonna be hard to overcome Steelers Bias on the heels of 5 guys getting in - even if it was 2 years & expanded class

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
Always loved watching him play. Other teams' players hated when he smiled after an awesome play, but to me it just meant he had passion for the game and winning. (y)

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Always loved watching him play. Other teams' players hated when he smiled after an awesome play, but to me it just meant he had passion for the game and winning. (y)
Yep...I think ol Bettis would agree. He got a lot of extra yardage due to his hardnosed game.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Come on HOF Committee, do the right thing and elect not just a hell of a receiver but a complete football player.
I still remember that Bungals game when he leveled that LBer and broke his jaw. Anyone remember that guy his name? I know he was a number one draft pick but cannot recall his name.

MB47

Reaction score
Not gonna happen this year but I think he eventually will get in.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Come on HOF Committee, do the right thing and elect not just a hell of a receiver but a complete football player.
I still remember that Bungals game when he leveled that LBer and broke his jaw. Anyone remember that guy his name? I know he was a number one draft pick but cannot recall his name.
Keith Rivers.
I believe that every eligible receiver with at least 1000 catches got in. Add Super Bowl MVP and I think he gets in eventually.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
This is a weak class. No QBs made the semis. He has to compete with other WRs though:

Johnson, Holt, Wayne, Steve Smith, and Bolden (Hester and Tasker are more ST than WR)

Numbers:
Wayne 1070 14345yds 80TDs 6xProBowl 1x1st team AP, 2x2nd team, SB Champ, 1x Yards leader,
Holt 920 13382 74TDs 7xProBowl 1x1st team AP, 1x2nd team, SB Champ, 2x Yards leader, 1x rec leader, NFL all 2000s decade team
Smith 1031 14731 83TDs (2 were rushing) 5xProBowl 2x1st team AP, 1x2nd team AP, 1x Yards leader Co leaders 1x Rec, and TDrec, NFL Comeback player of the year.
Johnson 1062 14185 70TDs 7xProBowl 2x1st team AP, 2x2nd team AP, 2xRec Leader 2xYard Leader
Bolden 1076 13779 83TDs (1 was rushing) SB Champ. OROY, Payton Man or the year 3 Pro Bowls
Ward 1000 12083 86TDs (1 was rushing) 2xSB champ, SBMVP 4xProBowl 3x 2nd team AP

Wards numbers are very comparable. His TD numbers are Huge considering he did them with less touches than everyone but Holt. 2xSB champ and the only SBMVP on this list is big. Only WR with 3 2nd team APs, and 3 total APs only puts him behind Johnson with 4 total APs

Pound for pound, Smith is the best WR to ever play, but other than his tops in yardage, he doesn't lead much, though Comeback POY means a lot.
Johnson and Holt don't lead this group in any statistical category, yet have the most Pro Bowls and receiving year accolades.
Bolden has the most receptions, but I'll argue he was rarely the best receiver on his team, playing with Fitz forever with the Cards, Pro Bowls only with Fitz (minus his ROY year before Fitz joined. OROY and WPMOY stand out though. No APs hurts though.

This is a weak list of WRs with no clear cut HOFers, though all of them do have HOF stats. It's why most of them weren't voted in yet. But this year is Ward's best year, you can make an argument against all of them who were in high power passing offenses while Ward never was. And no defender ever feared getting hit by any of these other receivers, though Bolden was a tough SOB in his own right.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Hines will eventually get in, but not this year because like tgey said, last year had 5 Steelers get in

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

RIVERS was his last name, I can't remeber his first.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Keith Rivers.
I believe that every eligible receiver with at least 1000 catches got in. Add Super Bowl MVP and I think he gets in eventually.

There is talk about STEELERS bias but what about Warren Sapp who is in due to his MEDIA influence. Had he not been forefront in the football media I don't think he would have been inducted as fast. Hines has as much to offer as Warren does.

Salute the nation

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hines and Troy are my all-time favorite players. Nobody did it like Hines...nobody. He is a completely unique breed of player that every nfl fan would love to have on their team. Even if he doesn't get in this year, he will eventually get in.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
This is a weak class. No QBs made the semis. He has to compete with other WRs though:

Johnson, Holt, Wayne, Steve Smith, and Bolden (Hester and Tasker are more ST than WR)

Numbers:
Wayne 1070 14345yds 80TDs 6xProBowl 1x1st team AP, 2x2nd team, SB Champ, 1x Yards leader,
Holt 920 13382 74TDs 7xProBowl 1x1st team AP, 1x2nd team, SB Champ, 2x Yards leader, 1x rec leader, NFL all 2000s decade team
Smith 1031 14731 83TDs (2 were rushing) 5xProBowl 2x1st team AP, 1x2nd team AP, 1x Yards leader Co leaders 1x Rec, and TDrec, NFL Comeback player of the year.
Johnson 1062 14185 70TDs 7xProBowl 2x1st team AP, 2x2nd team AP, 2xRec Leader 2xYard Leader
Bolden 1076 13779 83TDs (1 was rushing) SB Champ. OROY, Payton Man or the year 3 Pro Bowls
Ward 1000 12083 86TDs (1 was rushing) 2xSB champ, SBMVP 4xProBowl 3x 2nd team AP

Wards numbers are very comparable. His TD numbers are Huge considering he did them with less touches than everyone but Holt. 2xSB champ and the only SBMVP on this list is big. Only WR with 3 2nd team APs, and 3 total APs only puts him behind Johnson with 4 total APs

Pound for pound, Smith is the best WR to ever play, but other than his tops in yardage, he doesn't lead much, though Comeback POY means a lot.
Johnson and Holt don't lead this group in any statistical category, yet have the most Pro Bowls and receiving year accolades.
Bolden has the most receptions, but I'll argue he was rarely the best receiver on his team, playing with Fitz forever with the Cards, Pro Bowls only with Fitz (minus his ROY year before Fitz joined. OROY and WPMOY stand out though. No APs hurts though.

This is a weak list of WRs with no clear cut HOFers, though all of them do have HOF stats. It's why most of them weren't voted in yet. But this year is Ward's best year, you can make an argument against all of them who were in high power passing offenses while Ward never was. And no defender ever feared getting hit by any of these other receivers, though Bolden was a tough SOB in his own right.
Agree with every thing you said Cope except Steve Smith. Yeah, he had numbers, mainly because he was their #1 option and usually their only option. His best year in 2005 he was the only pass catcher with over 35 receptions (103). The next closest, RB DeShawn Foster (34). He didn’t have better numbers than Hines in the playoffs either and played longer. While Hines played in a run first offense until late in his career.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Keith Rivers, that’s right!

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Let's Go Ward!

Of course I never mention anything about HOF without saying... L.C. Greenwood!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Hines was one hell of a player. A 70s style linebacker who was somehow morphed into one of the toughest wide receivers I've ever seen play the game. Sure hope he gets in. He definitely deserves it.

91424631_crop_north.jpg
Run oriented offense and still put up numbers.
Changed the rules of the game. Two time SB champ and and an mvp to boot.

Don’t see why he shouldn’t get in

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Numbers:

I’ll have to disagree. Pound for pound I give the nod to Hines. Smith was a gritty player, but I don’t recall him de-cleating defenders. Hines was also one who could take a hit. He was rarely injured

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The list of eligible players isn't great this year. But they had Ward at the bottom. I find it hard to understand that when you have an awesome career that they hold all the overlooks over you. The list seemed to be about how many all pro selections you got. 🤔

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
BTW. Why is Steve Tasker on this list. Give me a fuking break. That is what I'm talking about. He is there because of pro bowl selections as a special teams maven. C'mon. That translates to he is the all time greatest of the journeymen. Except most of them were better at their position.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
BTW. Why is Steve Tasker on this list. Give me a fuking break. That is what I'm talking about. He is there because of pro bowl selections as a special teams maven. C'mon. That translates to he is the all time greatest of the journeymen. Except most of them were better at their position.

I was wondering as well. Tasker didn't change the game or create fear from much of anyone. Hines changed the game with a rule that essentially made it illeagal to give back a taste of medicine the defense was giving out.

HINES should make this roster and it will be a travisty if he doesn't.

The probowl is a joke and it's vote is fixed & tainted. If any "fan" thinks their vote helps get a player in the probowl then they've got a slight condition called blind eye syndrome.

Salute the nation