• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Freiermuth comparisons

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Half of those early guys the analysts want to move to the right side or inside to guard. Everything I've read about Moore says he can be a LT in the NFL. That is another plus, IMO.

AND that is where they need to START him right out of the gate.

Salute the nation

titus

Contributor
Reaction score
Freiermuth is fine, another serious weapon. But then you gotta ask yourself why the **** do you draft Najee?!#@

IF - and IF, speed in a Shanahan-style offense with an outside zone running scheme and RAC passing game is what Canada is moving to... then WTF are they NOT running up to get Travis Etienne? or somebody else like Felton?

After that then, What the hell is with drafting a heel-clicker OT in Dan Moore? What is going on in Colbert's mind?

Is he responding to Canada's personnel request that the offense look credible to run each and any kind of offense at any time on the field? - because THIS is what that looks like. Seriously could NOT have been more incoherent.
Why in the hell do people feel like Etienne is anywhere close to the back Harris is? I live in South Carolina (not a Clemson fan, but get to watch a ton of their games) and I have never liked Etienne. He runs poorly against good competition. He goes down if he is sneezed on. He catches well, but has a lot of easy drops, as well as some fumbles. He can't pass protect for ****. He doesn't seem to hit the hole very hard. He has a lot of yards against poor ACC competition, but it seems like a lot of times he is running in space created for him by a great line and great scheme.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If he fits well in an outside zone running game then we truly drafted a RB well. And it was the best choice.

If he doesn't, Ben's last year is a complete waste, no SuperB for us and it'll be years until the OL gets the pieces in place to get Canada's offense humming.
i remember when you went off the rails when we drafted a TE in the first.
so this gives me a really warm, fuzzy, tingly feeling in my nether regions that we drafted the best back in the draft and one that resembles the love child of Eddie George and Marshall Faulk.

CorpusDsteelers

Reaction score
After reading this post about the TE I leaned a lot about Harris lol. One thing people might not know is Harris had only one fumble in 4 years! One! Didn’t we lose a few games to late fumbles last year? I also think steelreeling is Cooach!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Why in the hell do people feel like Etienne is anywhere close to the back Harris is? I live in South Carolina (not a Clemson fan, but get to watch a ton of their games) and I have never liked Etienne. He runs poorly against good competition. He goes down if he is sneezed on. He catches well, but has a lot of easy drops, as well as some fumbles. He can't pass protect for ****. He doesn't seem to hit the hole very hard. He has a lot of yards against poor ACC competition, but it seems like a lot of times he is running in space created for him by a great line and great scheme.

I still can't believe Jacksonville took him in the first.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
We gotta call Freiermuth somethin' other than Baby Gronk. Can't have a stiller with anything remotely related to the cheats. Tank, Bus Jr., something???????

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
We gotta call Freiermuth somethin' other than Baby Gronk. Can't have a stiller with anything remotely related to the cheats. Tank, Bus Jr., something???????
Well if you piece together his first and last name you can come up with ...truth.

Stewey

Reaction score
Muuuuuuuth!!!!!! Will be chanted after every TD or big play he makes for years to come. So, how about "The Big Muuuth" or "BMF" for Big Mutha Fucka

Prediction...It's going to sound like "booooo!!!!! and the TV announcers will have to set the viewing audience straight.

I remember Dallas fans booing Moose Johnston ... Mooooose!!!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
He hates that nickname. I think it's pretty dumb as well. Hopefully no fans call him that and reporters quit using it in every story about him. Never understood why some writers felt the need to include some player's nicknames in articles.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
On Freiermuth, I think he deserves a chance as he's very young, was hurt last season and is a rookie.

Oh he will upgrade the run blocking, how much remains to be seen. Anyone could over Ebron. But can be become a factor vs the pass? His hands and the agility to get open are fine, but he's not going to be a deep slit the seam type of TE, and to that I say so what, I want to dial down TE pass production, give the production to Claypool, Ju-Ju and Johnson outside of the red zone.

Just give me a solid TE who can block, understands what Harris needs and runs and is a Red Zone weapon. I think Freiermuth checks those boxes. On some of his clips, he teases really good ability as a receiver. He's not the pick I would make, but I can see where he fits in. And the expensive sulky Ebron should exit ut. At lest this guy catches the football.

The pick to me that is going to have to prove it is Green. He's the shortest projected stating center in the NFL, with short arms and plays at a low playing weight. I don't think he'll be much more than an upgrade over Finney, which pretty much every starting center is. There were really good Centers on the board in round two. Green only started 4 games a Center.

Dan Brown to me is the cherry on top for picks 2-7. He's a legit SEC left tackle with tools to mold. Perhaps the best we've got right now for LT.

I also love our 6th round pick.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
On Freiermuth, I think he deserves a chance as he's very young, was hurt last season and is a rookie.

Oh he will upgrade the run blocking, how much remains to be seen. Anyone could over Ebron. But can be become a factor vs the pass? His hands and the agility to get open are fine, but he's not going to be a deep slit the seam type of TE, and to that I say so what, I want to dial down TE pass production, give the production to Claypool, Ju-Ju and Johnson outside of the red zone.

Just give me a solid TE who can block, understands what Harris needs and runs and is a Red Zone weapon. I think Freiermuth checks those boxes. On some of his clips, he teases really good ability as a receiver. He's not the pick I would make, but I can see where he fits in. And the expensive sulky Ebron should exit ut. At lest this guy catches the football.

The pick to me that is going to have to prove it is Green. He's the shortest projected stating center in the NFL, with short arms and plays at a low playing weight. I don't think he'll be much more than an upgrade over Finney, which pretty much every starting center is. There were really good Centers on the board in round two. Green only started 4 games a Center.

Dan Brown to me is the cherry on top for picks 2-7. He's a legit SEC left tackle with tools to mold. Perhaps the best we've got right now for LT.

Good thing he wasn't the pick you would have made, we actually want him to have a fighting chance.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Green will be great. The concern about number of games started at center is the only legit gripe .
Which makes me think he won't be ready out of the gate. But when he is ready I think we have a solid C.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Which makes me think he won't be ready out of the gate. But when he is ready I think we have a solid C.
Folks seem to think the games he played at Center in Illinois were the kid's only experience at the position. While there is, of course, no comparison to the Power 5 collegiate experience he's lacking or the NFL experience he needs to gain, the kid presumably picked up a portion of the basics of the position when he was the starting Center for his high school team.
All of which to say, it wouldn't shock me if he started the season as the the starting Center. It also wouldn't shock me if it took him till around game 5 - 6 to take over the position. I would be shocked, if he's as good as they think he is, if he ends his rookie season not having taken over the starting position.

Last edited:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

Remember T-Rex? AQ Shipley has now been in the league for 11 years and just won a Super Bowl. Arm length doesn't mean as much in the NFL if you can call out the blocking assignments and snap the football cleanly.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Remember T-Rex? AQ Shipley has now been in the league for 11 years and just won a Super Bowl. Arm length doesn't mean as much in the NFL if you can call out the blocking assignments and snap the football cleanly.
Heck, the kid is 6'2", 305 lbs. It's a little disingenuous to paint him as this "short, undersized" player that's going to get tossed around. For example, the Cheats starting Center, David Andrews is 6'3", 300; an inch taller and five pounds lighter ... So, basically similar size. Cardinals starting Center, Rodney Hudson; 6'2", 315 lbs. Carolina's Matt Paridis; 6'3", 300 lbs. I could go on. But, looking at these guys, the NFL is absolutely littered with starting Centers who are in Green's size range. The 6'5", 330 lb behemoth that some folks are calling for is the exception. I'd hazard a guess that that's because those guys don't move as well and with more teams going to a zone blocking scheme, mobility counts.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Green doesn’t have that short of arms for a center. He is in the 33 percentile so yes they are on the shorter side but not like he’s a liability.

I personally would compare Kendrick Green to Roberto Garza. Similar height, weight, arm length, hand size, and both are above average athletes and even drafted 12 picks difference. Now Garza never made a pro bowl but he was always a top 10 center with a long career. I think where Garza will flourish is pulling and helping in the run game. I think he’ll struggle with true NG’s that bullrush him or when it’s his job to move a DT back in short yardage situations.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Folks seem to think the games he played at Center in Illinois were the kid's only experience at the position. While there is, of course, no comparison to the Power 5 collegiate experience he's lacking or the NFL experience he needs to gain, the kid presumably picked up a portion of the basics of the position when he was the starting Center for his high school team.
All of which to say, it wouldn't shock me if he started the season as the the starting Center. It also wouldn't shock me if it took him till around game 5 - 6 to take over the position. I would be shocked, if he's as good as they think he is, if he ends his rookie season not having taken over the starting position.
I hope you are right sooner than later would be a good problem to have. A solid training camp battle to watch.