• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Freiermuth comparisons

Sotex steel

Reaction score
I don’t get the hate for the Freiermuth pick. How long have we watched guys like Gronk, Jason Witten, Zach Ertz, Greg Olsen, George Kittle, Travis Kelce, Mark Andrews...and salivated at the thought of having one of those guys on our team? Anyway, got me thinking, why can’t Freiermuth be the next great one? I’m too lazy but if anyone cares to put up the size and workout numbers I’m sure we’d all love to see the comparisons.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
That is a WIDE range of talent and ability you listed there. Freiermuth trends toward the lower end guys there as opposed to Gronk, Kittle, and Kelce.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
My NFL comparison would probably be Todd Heap. Similar size and athleticism. Heap was a pretty underrated TE imo.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't know about comparisons but there is no point in making them. They got the second best player at a position where they need depth and help. Pitts is obviously the top off this class but he is a Ebron type TE. A really big slot who can run. That makes this kid the best traditional TE of the draft class.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I wish we would have gone center or tackle in the 2nd but we filled a large hole. Then picked up our Center in the third. And after reading about Green .....the pick is growing on me. So far I like our draft. Talking heads though seem to think it is one of the worse draft so far if not the worst.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I wish we would have gone center or tackle in the 2nd but we filled a large hole. Then picked up our Center in the third. And after reading about Green .....the pick is growing on me. So far I like our draft. Talking heads though seem to think it is one of the worse draft so far if not the worst.
They usually give the Steelers low grades. **** em.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with the pick is that the team decided to get those awesome, stylish wheel rims while the fuel injection is not working and the engine is missing two spark plugs. The rims are great. They won't matter because the more important parts are not going to work.

The Steelers play a tough schedule, facing a lot of very talented defensive lines. Their offensive line was garbage at the beginning of the draft and may have been upgraded slightly by a 3rd round center. MAY have been upgraded slightly.

The team could have gone Creed Humphrey at 55 and Spencer Brown at 87. They wanted an "athletic" center? How about getting the guy who rated higher than any other player ever tested on the RAS scale, which measures athleticism??

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with the pick is that the team decided to get those awesome, stylish wheel rims while the fuel injection is not working and the engine is missing two spark plugs. The rims are great. They won't matter because the more important parts are not going to work.

The Steelers play a tough schedule, facing a lot of very talented defensive lines. Their offensive line was garbage at the beginning of the draft and may have been upgraded slightly by a 3rd round center. MAY have been upgraded slightly.

The team could have gone Creed Humphrey at 55 and Spencer Brown at 87. They wanted an "athletic" center? How about getting the guy who rated higher than any other player ever tested on the RAS scale, which measures athleticism??
Dotson is a definite upgrade over Feiler at G. So, there's two upgrades to the line going into camp; Dotson as the starting LG and Green over Finney (hopefully) at C. Theoretically, the interior of the line should be pretty good to awesome depending on how Green pans out.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score

I think they're counting on development from guys like Dotson, Chuks and Banner and Decastro being better a full year removed from his injury.

I do not agree with that and feel they needed to be more aggressive in addressing the line this offseason.

Green is a nice draft pick, but it's probably not enough.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes what you need is a leader/coach who isn't so much trying to do it exactly the way the guy before him did it. A guy who's confident enough to take the good from his predecessor and put his own stamp on it. I think Sarrett tried to much to be "Munch Jr." and never developed his own system and style as a coach. Hopefully Klemm is the answer for the line.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I read somewhere...maybe here somewhere that our OL was playing passive and light on their feet to prevent their legs from getting rolled up on. Maybe a more aggressive scheme is all we need.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I read somewhere...maybe here somewhere that our OL was playing passive and light on their feet to prevent their legs from getting rolled up on. Maybe a more aggressive scheme is all we need.
I think that might have been mentioned by someone in one of the game threads. How our OL were so busy chopping their feet, knees high, that they weren't getting any push.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers are not media favs currently ..
Mainly because they didn’t move on from Ben and the way they finished last year.

Steelers1356

Reaction score
I don’t get the hate for the Freiermuth pick.

From a talent standpoint I haven't seen much hate for Freiermuth. Some have argued we should've drafted a center in that spot but I think he was the correct pick. Too much talent to pass up there at a position of need.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
Somebody was saying last night that maybe the Steelers have a different outlook on the status of the OL. I remember during the season last year, folks where on here during game threads pointing out the running game issues and the Steeler blocking technique they were using that was hindering their ability. I have to think they have something in the works to correct the blocking issues.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I don’t get the hate for the Freiermuth pick. How long have we watched guys like Gronk, Jason Witten, Zach Ertz, Greg Olsen, George Kittle, Travis Kelce, Mark Andrews...and salivated at the thought of having one of those guys on our team? Anyway, got me thinking, why can’t Freiermuth be the next great one? I’m too lazy but if anyone cares to put up the size and workout numbers I’m sure we’d all love to see the comparisons.

Taking away the sulky Ebron's cap value hit, 10 yards per catch, and wussy blocking will be a start. Freiermuth is a young player ( 22 ) with a later birthday and didn't play much last season. He could have some upside as a player to fill.

Kid looks like a good red zone weapon, and a better than average blocker. Not likely to be a star, but rather a much cheaper TE who can make some plays. I'd rather the offense focus on three men ( Harris, ju-ju and Claypool ) Short, medium, and medium to deep, and just go to Johnson, the TE and Washington when they beat their man cleanly.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Pouncey had been overrated for years, and the more I read about Green, the more I like. Pouncey seemed to be going through the motions last year; this high-motor kid is going to come in hungry and motivated with a shot to start at center for the Pittsburgh Steelers. A breath of fresh air, and hopefully a fairly significant upgrade if he pans out.

I would have taken Humphrey myself, but maybe the front office had a plan in place with Green. He wasn't a reach in the third round.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
I think we drafted two OL starters. I think the tackle will start before the year is out as well as the center. Freiermuth will be the everydown TE and the main pass catching TE as well before the end of the year and we know Harris will start. Watching videos on the lb from A&M I see some good things there as well. The punter if he wins the jobs is a starter. That is potentially 5 or more starters drafted.

steelreeling

Reaction score
Freiermuth is fine, another serious weapon. But then you gotta ask yourself why the **** do you draft Najee?!#@

IF - and IF, speed in a Shanahan-style offense with an outside zone running scheme and RAC passing game is what Canada is moving to... then WTF are they NOT running up to get Travis Etienne? or somebody else like Felton?

After that then, What the hell is with drafting a heel-clicker OT in Dan Moore? What is going on in Colbert's mind?

Is he responding to Canada's personnel request that the offense look credible to run each and any kind of offense at any time on the field? - because THIS is what that looks like. Seriously could NOT have been more incoherent.