• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Freiermuth comparisons

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
I say let’s not compare him to anyone and let the kid develop into whoever he’s going to be in the NFL. It usually takes TE’s a season or two anyways and my expectations this year are low.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Listening to the pundits talk about the Steelers is like watching the extreme liberal mainstream media. They lie and typically have no clue about reality. They are very hard t watch or listen to.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
They usually give the Steelers low grades. **** em.
The high grades go to the teams who are drafting in the top ten - and they seem to be a lot of the same teams over and over again; so who has the best team, not the best draft.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The high grades go to the teams who are drafting in the top ten

Yep. "Oh, the Jets had a great draft." I hope so. Jesus, they went 3-13, had the #2 pick, traded their best players for more picks, moved up and still wound up with 3 of the top 34 picks.

If you don't have a good draft holding the #2 pick and with 3 of the top 34 picks, you really need to reconsider your life choices.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Freiermuth is fine, another serious weapon. But then you gotta ask yourself why the **** do you draft Najee?!#@

IF - and IF, speed in a Shanahan-style offense with an outside zone running scheme and RAC passing game is what Canada is moving to... then WTF are they NOT running up to get Travis Etienne? or somebody else like Felton?

After that then, What the hell is with drafting a heel-clicker OT in Dan Moore? What is going on in Colbert's mind?

Is he responding to Canada's personnel request that the offense look credible to run each and any kind of offense at any time on the field? - because THIS is what that looks like. Seriously could NOT have been more incoherent.
Reportedly Najee ran a sub 4.5 in spring practice last year. Etienne ran a 4.45 so he’s roughly the same speed and Felton tan a 4.59 so he’s actually slower.

Moore from an athletic standpoint checks the boxes for an NFL left tackle. Has a ton of starting experience. He might never be dominant but if he can be a plug and play tackle and not a liability I’d say he was a good pick.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If Moore can start that would be huge. I don't know much about him yet but intend to investigate. Depth at worst, starter at best.!

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Can you post a run down on him (Moore) ?

thanks in advance

Salute the nation
Strengths- Long arms, strong hands, understand blocking concepts, technically sound.

Weaknesses- Has had issues with speed which might indicate better off at RT. Sometimes lets his hands get outside. Not a nasty temperament more finesse which allows defenders back in the play after he initially stones his man.

35 straight starts at LT and has improved each year. Should start off as a swing tackle and depth but has a ceiling of a starting LT. I personally don’t think his temperament is RT material because he’s not nasty enough. Not a liability just not going to drive his man back five yards. More positional blocking. Ceiling is Marvel Smith and floor is Trai Essex.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Strengths- Long arms, strong hands, understand blocking concepts, technically sound.

Weaknesses- Has had issues with speed which might indicate better off at RT. Sometimes lets his hands get outside. Not a nasty temperament more finesse which allows defenders back in the play after he initially stones his man.

35 straight starts at LT and has improved each year. Should start off as a swing tackle and depth but has a ceiling of a starting LT. I personally don’t think his temperament is RT material because he’s not nasty enough. Not a liability just not going to drive his man back five yards. More positional blocking. Ceiling is Marvel Smith and floor is Trai Essex.
I think another strength is that he played against top competition for 3 seasons, I really trust the FO in drafting OL

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Marvel Smith is good company. With Moore's starting experience I'd think if he competes for LT starting job he should get it. Chuks may and may not be ready to hold down that fort. There is a lot to do with the new OL coach and how he sees things moving forward. AGGRESSIVENESS can be added through coaching but the player has to want it.

Thanks Ford for the insight

Salute the nation

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Freiermuth is fine, another serious weapon. But then you gotta ask yourself why the **** do you draft Najee?!#@

IF - and IF, speed in a Shanahan-style offense with an outside zone running scheme and RAC passing game is what Canada is moving to... then WTF are they NOT running up to get Travis Etienne? or somebody else like Felton?

After that then, What the hell is with drafting a heel-clicker OT in Dan Moore? What is going on in Colbert's mind?

Is he responding to Canada's personnel request that the offense look credible to run each and any kind of offense at any time on the field? - because THIS is what that looks like. Seriously could NOT have been more incoherent.
Isn't it fun trying to figure this stuff out? Training camp should be a blast this year with the new offensive concepts, wrinkles, and having a genuine RB again. I didn't watch the "woke" NFL last season, but I may tune in this year to watch some games and turn off the sound.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
so here goes a Freiermuth comparison to previous drafts, I'm going back to 2017, the last time there was a big group of highly valued TEs:
  • 2017:
    • 1.19 OJ Howard
    • 1.23 Evan Engram
    • 1.29 David Njoku
    • 2.44 Gerald Everett
    • 2.45 Adam Shaheen
    • 3.100 Jonnu Smith
2017 was the last time so many TEs were taken in the top 100, especially 3 in the 1st round. Of the group Jonnu Smith might be the most recognized as he got a huge deal by the pats* by being a TD machine in 2020 despite not getting many yards, never broke 500 in any season. OJ Howard is a very athletic TE that hasn't exploded yet, probably due to injuries. Engram is solid too as another athletic catch option but not a top blocker either.

• 2018:
    • 1.25 Hayden Hurst
    • 2.42 Mike Gesicki
    • 2.49 Dallas Goedert
    • 3.86 Mark Andrews
    • 3.98 Jordan Atkins
2018 saw Baltimore draft a double troube at TE while Gesicki and Goedert rounded out a good crop for this year, all 4 of them capable blockers too. Andrews might be considered for top 5 TEs in the league.

• 2019:
    • 1.8 TJ Hockenson
    • 1.20 Noah Fant
    • 2.50 Irv Smith
    • 2.52 Drew Sample
    • 3.69 Josh Oliver
    • 3.75 Jace Sternberg
    • 3.86 Kahale Warring
    • 3.96 Dawson Knox
2019 had one of those rare unicorns capable of being both a receiving threat and a top blocker in Hockenson, the guy deserved to be drafted top 10. Then Fant is more of a tall WR than a TE, still a very good player, also drafted in the 1st round (by the way I wanted this guy at that spot had we not traded up for Devin Bush). After that the value falls quickly for the rest of the draft.

• 2020:
    • 2.43 Cole Kmet
    • 3.91 Devin Asiasi
    • 3.94 Josiah Deguara
    • 3.101 Dalton Keene
    • 3.105 Adam Trautman
2020 no first round TE and it took until half the 2nd round for Kmet to go as the only 2nd round TE drafted. Late at 3rd there was a run for the next TE tier. Kmet is a good receiver but not much of a blocker so not a complete package and didn't shine either in his rookie season.

So I think there is a trend here, TEs are becoming rare specimens as college systems are producing more and more WRs every year, the last true complete top TE was Hockenson and before that despite good value in 2018 the only one that has really thrived has been Andrews, a mid round gem.

If Freiermuth becomes a 600 yards / 8 TD red zone target with good blocking capacity the guy will be a great investment as a draft pick in the mid/late 2nd round. These guys don't grow on trees now, it's damn hard to find them as TEs coming to the pros now seem to be tall WRs mostly. Even Kyle Pitts, an oversized receiver, went top 10 this draft, something Fant wasn't even close to despite the similar build and athletic capacities.

What will finally prove his value is if OC Canada finds ways to utilize him in the field as that has been an achilles hill in the Steelers Offense since Heath Miller's days. At least from the get go with his blocking capacity he should be an inmediate feature at the goal line and that flexibility of being a blocking and receiving threat will make it way harder for opposing Defenses to scheme against us.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Taking away the sulky Ebron's cap value hit, 10 yards per catch, and wussy blocking will be a start. Freiermuth is a young player ( 22 ) with a later birthday and didn't play much last season. He could have some upside as a player to fill.

Kid looks like a good red zone weapon, and a better than average blocker. Not likely to be a star, but rather a much cheaper TE who can make some plays. I'd rather the offense focus on three men ( Harris, ju-ju and Claypool ) Short, medium, and medium to deep, and just go to Johnson, the TE and Washington when they beat their man cleanly.
DJ is "BY FAR" the best offensive player winning at the LOS and getting separation.

The additions of Najee and Pat make the potential offense DEADLY!!! None of know what schemes or changes to the offense are coming because this is Coach Canada's first year at play calling. Personally, I see his fingerprints all over the offensive selections in the draft.

Call me #WaitingPatiently

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Pouncey had been overrated for years, and the more I read about Green, the more I like. Pouncey seemed to be going through the motions last year; this high-motor kid is going to come in hungry and motivated with a shot to start at center for the Pittsburgh Steelers. A breath of fresh air, and hopefully a fairly significant upgrade if he pans out.

I would have taken Humphrey myself, but maybe the front office had a plan in place with Green. He wasn't a reach in the third round.
Nope - I disagree. Pouncey knew it was time to hang 'em up but he was not overrated IMO...

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

Ahem...

Drafting Najee was the best move would could have made to revamp the running game. He's best running back - period the end. He has the best vision and patience (since Lev Bell). He already knows pass pro (at an NFL level).

Ask yourself - who's gonna want to tackle him in December/January in the snow after getting mollywhopped by our OL and offense in the 4th quarter???

Harris may not have Willie Parker speed but he doesn't need an alley or valley to create positive yards - he will see it; he will hit the hole; he creates holes and HE WILL DAMN SURE JUMP OVER A DEFENDER, if need be.

You seem sour on everyone but Freiermuth - that's unfortunate...

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

If I had to compare - from what I've seen since drafting him - Marcus Gilbert 2.0

steelreeling

Reaction score
He has the best vision and patience (since Lev Bell). He already knows pass pro (at an NFL level).

And while maybe that is true? - - THAT itself means he's gonna be riding the ******* bench this year.

Because none of those things are what you need from your running back in an outside zone scheme. Najee is an inside runner and NOT ZONE - definitely not someone who's got an extra gear 25 yards down the sideline to accelerate thru a crack and burn the defense.

I want ******* coherency. I can't stand to see **** like drafting a mucker for LT, a bruiser RB and then a speedy TE with a ******* pull-and-kick C!! What the **** are they gonna call?... the double reverse inside half-back dive RPO?? killer - just killer

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
And while maybe that is true? - - THAT itself means he's gonna be riding the ******* bench this year.

Because none of those things are what you need from your running back in an outside zone scheme. Najee is an inside runner and NOT ZONE - definitely not someone who's got an extra gear 25 yards down the sideline to accelerate thru a crack and burn the defense.

I want ******* coherency. I can't stand to see **** like drafting a mucker for LT, a bruiser RB and then a speedy TE with a ******* pull-and-kick C!! What the **** are they gonna call?... the double reverse inside half-back dive RPO?? killer - just killer
did we draft a speedy TE? must have missed that pick

madinsomniac

Reaction score

Harris is probably going to be a better version of James connor... not really a speed threat, a consistent plugger who maximizes basic yardage and catches and blocks well... Canada has utilized those backs with great success in the past... I don’t see an issue with that....

the line looks like they are getting back to runblocking guys.... I don’t see incoherence here... i see shaping the offense for the post Ben Era

madinsomniac

Reaction score

You do realize that was tge format for the Steelers for most of the 90’s....

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Loved Gesicki in college but thought Freiermuth was better. Freiermuth is a decent blocker and a good receiver. He played like a slot WR a bunch for PSU. He doesn't have blazing speed but gets open and catches just about everything thrown his way. I believe the last recorded 40 time for him is around 4.72 which is a little slower than Gronk ran (4.68). He will make the contested catches. Having him, Ebron and Claypool in the redzone should be a QB's dream. 3 huge targets that all can go up and get the ball.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Freiermuth looks like he moves pretty slow, but that isn't a big deal if you're a technical route runner. He's got one year with Ben, who worked with Heath during training camp to refine his route running. That's why those two were so good because they worked at their craft all of the time. Ben will do the same with Freiermuth, you just hope he soaks it in sooner rather than later.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Can you post a run down on him (Moore) ?

thanks in advance

Dan Moore OT Texas A&M

6'6" 311 lbs.
3-year starter, all at LT
5.18 40
28 Reps
30.5 vertical
Extremely long arms
Very good punch, powerful run blocker
Experienced with zone running scheme at A&M

Really stood out at the Senior Bowl

Wednesday comprised the second day of workouts for the participants in the 2021 Reeses' Senior Bowl and the first in full pads. Texas A&M offensive tackle Dan Moore was somewhat maligned as a three year starter at left tackle, particularly in terms of his pass protection with some thinking that he should switch sides with right tackle Carson Green or move inside to guard. However, Moore had a good senior season for one of the best offensive lines in the country and he's continued to impress people with his showing in Mobile. Ian Cummings with Pro Football Network writes:

For the second day in a row, Dan Moore Jr. was the better Texas A&M tackle on the field. Moore showcased impressive hip flexibility for his size when recovering against surging defenders, and he also utilized solid grip strength against William Bradley-King, who wasn’t easy to beat on Tuesday. Moore might be starting to move the needle, in regards to his draft stock.

Moore was described as a mauler by one observer, doing well at the point of attack in the run game and stalemating ends in pass protection In fact, not only has Moore moved ahead of Green, he was one of the better linemen period on the American squad, probably falling in behind only Alabama's highly touted Alex Leatherwood.