• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Freiermuth comparisons

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Can you post a run down on him (Moore) ?
Also, the NFL Network analysts mentioned that Moore could have possibly been a second round pick in a different draft that wasn't as rich in tackle prospects. For what it's worth.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Nope - I disagree. Pouncey knew it was time to hang 'em up but he was not overrated IMO...
Pouncey stopped making all-pro teams in 2018, yet was still voted into the Pro Bowl the last two years. That should tell you something.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Also, the NFL Network analysts mentioned that Moore could have possibly been a second round pick in a different draft that wasn't as rich in tackle prospects. For what it's worth.
Half of those early guys the analysts want to move to the right side or inside to guard. Everything I've read about Moore says he can be a LT in the NFL. That is another plus, IMO.

steelreeling

Reaction score
Moore was described as a mauler by one observer, doing well at the point of attack

Also from Steeltime: Experienced with zone running scheme at A&M

<scratching head emoji> So this guy is gonna rip and bend on those counter plays with inside zone? This guy is gonna skedaddle out there lickity split, 20+ yards to the sideline on those stretch running plays?!@$&E%

Because if not. if he IS a brauler. Then F-!! he dont work with a one, Kendrick Green.

This causes problems. Why? Because you can't run a bruiser inside or jump-cut bounce him outside when your starting C, Green/Hassenauer and LG, Dotson are double teaming the DT and both of them are getting blown-the-**** up into the backfield. Also, an aging DeCastro is not gonna run block as well as he used to.

That kind of running game may have wishing for last year's running game - no ****.

Canada comes in - obviously to get the line and RB to paper over the cracks this year... an OUTSIDE ZONE scheme. Where your guys dont have to win the lions share of the 1-on-1's. They just gotta hustle their *** out there into the second level, chip and wash guys out. And THEN you see this nonsense in the draft. ****- !

FWIW, Yes. Freiermuth is speedy - he is notably faster and quicker than Heath Miller was. And Heath got separation pretty often.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score

<scratching head emoji> So this guy is gonna rip and bend on those counter plays with inside zone? This guy is gonna skedaddle out there lickity split, 20+ yards to the sideline on those stretch running plays?!@$&E%

Because if not. if he IS a brauler. Then F-!! he dont work with a one, Kendrick Green.

This causes problems. Why? Because you can't run a bruiser inside or jump-cut bounce him outside when your starting C, Green/Hassenauer and LG, Dotson are double teaming the DT and both of them are getting blown-the-**** up into the backfield. Also, an aging DeCastro is not gonna run block as well as he used to.

That kind of running game may have wishing for last year's running game - no ****.

Canada comes in - obviously to get the line and RB to paper over the cracks this year... an OUTSIDE ZONE scheme. Where your guys dont have to win the lions share of the 1-on-1's. They just gotta hustle their *** out there into the second level, chip and wash guys out. And THEN you see this nonsense in the draft. ****- !

FWIW, Yes. Freiermuth is speedy - he is notably faster and quicker than Heath Miller was. And Heath got separation pretty often.
Take it easy...just because Moore happens to be experienced with a particular scheme in college doesn't mean he won't be able to adapt successfully to something different in the NFL.

steelreeling

Reaction score
Well i hope so. It's the damn inconsistent choices the GM is making at a time when the team has Ben for 1 more year. Kills me.

i can't think the OL is gonna gel with these players all having such vastly different skill sets. Odds are NONE of them start on OL. Which means your plugging Najee into last year's OL just hoping they do better this year. The strategy - color me unimpressed.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Well i hope so. It's the damn inconsistent choices the GM is making at a time when the team has Ben for 1 more year. Kills me.

i can't think the OL is gonna gel with these players all having such vastly different skill sets. Odds are NONE of them start on OL. Which means your plugging Najee into last year's OL just hoping they do better this year. The strategy - color me unimpressed.
Can't plug Najee into last year's line. Al is gone. Feiler is gone. Pouncey is gone. So, we better hope the players buck whatever odds are against them. Heck, Pouncey's play slipped last year. Al Feiler weren't good either. Dotson is definitely an upgrade over Feiler. LT/C? We'll see

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Can't plug Najee into last year's line. Al is gone. Feiler is gone. Pouncey is gone. So, we better hope the players buck whatever odds are against them. Heck, Pouncey's play slipped last year. Al Feiler weren't good either. Dotson is definitely an upgrade over Feiler. LT/C? We'll see
How it shakes out remains to be seen. But we aren't talking unknowns as it is sometimes with players exits. We have Banner, Chukes, and Finney for better or worse. There is three players I think we can feel comfortable about Najee running behind, DeCastro, Banner, and BigDot. Throw in a blocking capable TE perhaps that helps out LT if Chukes struggles early. What we have isn't so much a mystery compared to how soon will we see those O-line upgrades.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
How it shakes out remains to be seen. But we aren't talking unknowns as it is sometimes with players exits. We have Banner, Chukes, and Finney for better or worse. There is three players I think we can feel comfortable about Najee running behind, DeCastro, Banner, and BigDot. Throw in a blocking capable TE perhaps that helps out LT if Chukes struggles early. What we have isn't so much a mystery compared to how soon will we see those O-line upgrades.
as long as Banner stays healthy I'm confident in his run blocking capacities, him plus a pulling Dotson and DeCastro should open serious holes for the RBs to run through. And as you say, put Muth to help Chucks side, those routes where he chipped the rusher and then released worked great for him in college

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with the pick is that the team decided to get those awesome, stylish wheel rims while the fuel injection is not working and the engine is missing two spark plugs. The rims are great. They won't matter because the more important parts are not going to work.

The Steelers play a tough schedule, facing a lot of very talented defensive lines. Their offensive line was garbage at the beginning of the draft and may have been upgraded slightly by a 3rd round center. MAY have been upgraded slightly.

The team could have gone Creed Humphrey at 55 and Spencer Brown at 87. They wanted an "athletic" center? How about getting the guy who rated higher than any other player ever tested on the RAS scale, which measures athleticism??
Bingo. I would have selected Creed there myself and traded up if they felt they needed to for Freiermuth.

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Freiermuth nick name should be “NG” next generation… football over last decade or so has seen a huge move toward RPO offenses whether pro, college, high school or peewee… “NG” ain’t your dads penn state tightend LoL. He’s very athletic runs good routes and could just as easily line up as a WR as TE. Some teams have been slow to this change that’s why George Kettle went in 4th round to 9ers… teams like the Steelers didn’t know what they were looking at with these new tight ends. If nothing else comes out of this draft, Ben has gained two new really good targets. Both Harris and Freiermuth can lineup in a run formation and can be easily motioned out wide and be totally legit weapons in the passing game.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Bingo. I would have selected Creed there myself and traded up if they felt they needed to for Freiermuth.
Muth had solid value where he was drafted. Not only would a trade up in three be pricey but there is no guarantee he would be sitting there in the process. Very risky to take this approach.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Muth had solid value where he was drafted. Not only would a trade up in three be pricey but there is no guarantee he would be sitting there in the process. Very risky to take this approach.
IMHO, Pat shouldn't have been there when we drafted. He was a late first early 2nd pick, and dropped to the bottom 3rd of the 2nd round.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
agree, trading up in the 2nd would have cost us at least next year's 2nd plus probably one of the 4th

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
I remember years ago Ben said he voted for the same player for team MVP every year and that was Heath Miller. He said, you guys don't realize how valuable he is in both blocking and the passing game. Now Ben has a new TE to vote for. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts first game and Ebron is just used in special situations.

steelreeling

Reaction score
maybe he can play left tackle? certainly most of you are counting on that from the comments.

because right now now you got 2 guys in DeCastro & Chucks who were terrible run blocking last year. Pray, that's all one can do. Pray that these guys suddenly become studs and add maybe 20+lbs in each of their ***** so they can move ******* out of the way.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
maybe he can play left tackle? certainly most of you are counting on that from the comments.

because right now now you got 2 guys in DeCastro & Chucks who were terrible run blocking last year. Pray, that's all one can do. Pray that these guys suddenly become studs and add maybe 20+lbs in each of their ***** so they can move ******* out of the way.
They drafted a C and a LT. I am more so hoping they learn quickly.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

You are severely misinformed if you don't think Banner can run block. There was a reason why Steeler Nation cheered for him as he was announced as the tackle eligible. He's a freakin bulldozer in the run game. That is also why he'll be starting at RT instead of LT, which is Chuke's natural position.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And while maybe that is true? - - THAT itself means he's gonna be riding the ******* bench this year.

Because none of those things are what you need from your running back in an outside zone scheme. Najee is an inside runner and NOT ZONE - definitely not someone who's got an extra gear 25 yards down the sideline to accelerate thru a crack and burn the defense.

I want ******* coherency. I can't stand to see **** like drafting a mucker for LT, a bruiser RB and then a speedy TE with a ******* pull-and-kick C!! What the **** are they gonna call?... the double reverse inside half-back dive RPO?? killer - just killer
dude.

i watched Najee on Saturdays for a couple years. hated that ************. hated him. dude was damn near impossible to stop. he has NO WEAKNESS. he can run inside. he can run outside. he can follow a block. he can cut back. **** that ************ on Saturdays. he can catch. one handed if need be. he can provide pass pro, too.

now, on Sunday... yeah, I can't wait to see what this dude does for us.

best. back. in. the. draft. bar. none.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't watch him every Saturday but I watched him on more than a few and I liked what I saw. He did and can do anything/everything. We haven't had a back like him since Bell in his prime and that was only for a year or two. And, Harris is not afraid to hit someone like Bell was. Bell always used to say he'd avoid contact if he could. Harris needs to be smart but I do expect him to jump over people and run some over.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Harris is a versatile threat that was a rare case of a backfield rusher who played all four seasons in Tuscaloosa. A tall and upright runner, Harris is a blend of power, determination, and versatility as both a between-the-tackles runner and perimeter rushing threat. A comfortable pass-catcher out of the backfield, he’s made strides in his pass-catching ability every season. A running back that can have passing concepts designed around his abilities, he can routinely put second-level defenders in a bind with schemed patterns to attack coverage. A runner that always seems to fall forward when taking on contact, he’s a highly determined and physical rusher who forces defenders to tackle him to the ground through the echo of the whistle. Harris isn’t a running back who contains multiple gears, as he’s a flat-footed runner that paces his way through defenses. Another key attribute on his resume is his ability to finish drives with touchdowns. Few match Harris’ will and "want to" with getting into the endzone, as he led the country in scores in that area last season.

Ideal Role: Featured top option running back.

Scheme Fit: Multiple scheme fit in both man/gap/power and zone-based blocking scheme.

steelreeling

Reaction score

Harris is a versatile threat that was a rare case of a backfield rusher who played all four seasons in Tuscaloosa. A tall and upright runner, Harris is a blend of power, determination, and versatility as both a between-the-tackles runner and perimeter rushing threat. A comfortable pass-catcher out of the backfield, he’s made strides in his pass-catching ability every season. A running back that can have passing concepts designed around his abilities, he can routinely put second-level defenders in a bind with schemed patterns to attack coverage. A runner that always seems to fall forward when taking on contact, he’s a highly determined and physical rusher who forces defenders to tackle him to the ground through the echo of the whistle. Harris isn’t a running back who contains multiple gears, as he’s a flat-footed runner that paces his way through defenses. Another key attribute on his resume is his ability to finish drives with touchdowns. Few match Harris’ will and "want to" with getting into the endzone, as he led the country in scores in that area last season.

Ideal Role: Featured top option running back.

Scheme Fit: Multiple scheme fit in both man/gap/power and zone-based blocking scheme.
If he fits well in an outside zone running game then we truly drafted a RB well. And it was the best choice.

If he doesn't, Ben's last year is a complete waste, no SuperB for us and it'll be years until the OL gets the pieces in place to get Canada's offense humming.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
dude.

i watched Najee on Saturdays for a couple years. hated that ************. hated him. dude was damn near impossible to stop. he has NO WEAKNESS. he can run inside. he can run outside. he can follow a block. he can cut back. **** that ************ on Saturdays. he can catch. one handed if need be. he can provide pass pro, too.

now, on Sunday... yeah, I can't wait to see what this dude does for us.

best. back. in. the. draft. bar. none.
Hopefully he can bring that warm fuzzy feeling to the folks in Cleveland, Cincy and Baltimore

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

I find this post hilarious...