• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's.......................@ Chargers.....

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
yes I will argue that. Ben doesn't block, Ben doesn't catch the ball. Ben doesn't commit holding penalty's. Ben doesn't run the ball. Ben doesn't throw the yellow flag or better yet not throw the yellow flag. Ben also does not call the plays. ( or does this only apply Tomlin)

There are ten other people on that offense that could help their QB out of tough spots, and Three coaches on the side line that are a ******* waste of space. Lets start with Canada for the shittest play calling in the NFL game after game, now let move to Klemm and lets go ahead and include Morgan they have put together ZERO schemes for the oline to either pass protect or run block. Now I know you will lose your **** over this but Tomlin is so ******* lost it's almost funny; if it wasn't so ******* sad, and if you can't see it in his eyes you're just as lost as he is.

Lets go ahead and add one more to this list. Rooney for not demanding that they do what ever it took to protect their 38 year old QB that took a huge pay cut to help the team. How in the **** can the owner of the team not make a call and tell his coaches to protect who is most likely the greatest player to ever wear a steelers uniform or at the very least the best QB to ever play in the burg, and one of the best to ever play period. If that would have happened we are probably not only 1st in the division but most likely first in the conference at this point.

But Yeah go ahead and keep blaming Ben. SMDH!
Part of me feels Art II is the business man, already has the Steelers brand established. It’s money now. The thing is win or lose, the Steelers brand is always going to rake in money. We’re stuck with it I’m afraid.

I wouldn’t call it complacency. It’s just established. Ingrained in consumer culture. As a business they’ve done what they needed. Now if this was Dan, you’d see a better on field showing.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Good point. But there are receivers running other routes on those plays called by Canada -- Ben just seems to force the ball into the first read way too often, whether it's covered or not. At least it seems that way.
Pretty sure he's been told to do that. He fires off instantly way too often for it to be "bad reads". For the last 3 years, the Steelers offense has tried to be a short-passing juggernaut that literally gets the ball out before the defense has time to figure out what's going on.

Sadly, the defenses figured all that out better than a year ago and now they just pack 9 or 10 guys in the short passing lanes which coincidentally ALSO happens to destroy any opportunity for a run game.

MeanJim

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm wasn't talking about the last drive, I was referring to the drive when the game was tied at 34. Ben and the offense didn't give the defense ****. The defense sucked for most of game, yeah, but they made a crucial stop on 4th-and-1 and gave the ball to him at the Chargers 34 yard line with 3:43 on the clock. Ben threw the ball three times and produced 7 yards, then Boswell kicked a field goal. The **** he's supposed to do there is get a couple of first downs and close the game out.
That "drive" right there was the one that made me wish Buddy Ryan was sitting in the booth with Canada. If there's ever a time to try to run the ball on the worst run D in the league, it's right there. It didn't make me pissed at Ben at all. It made me pissed at the retarded play calling. WTF? Didn't even attempt a running play. I totally don't care that Najee wasn't in there. You have to try to work the clock and win the game.

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
Right. Also, Ben makes no mistakes. Just off the top of my head: Ben didn't underthrow Claypool by five yards for what should have been an easy touchdown in the first half. Ben didn't throw that potential INT where the guy couldn't quite get his foot down inbounds. Ben didn't force the ball into Freiermuth short of the goal line with three defenders right there. Ben didn't throw 2 ****** passes on the aforementioned drive with the game on the line. I must've imagined those things.

Why would I lose my **** over you saying Tomlin is lost? I've been one of his most staunch critics for years. No argument with anything else you said.

Jesus. I'm not blaming Ben for the loss.

I'll quote myself again, so maybe this time you'll understand: "Ben played well enough to win, but he didn't get the job done in the most crucial point of the game." Simple as that. If you can't agree with that statement, God bless you.
I understand Ben is not perfect, and I can also see where I come across that he is. But it just pisses me off that Tomlin has ****** away Ben's career and people want to blame Ben for the ineptitude of this coaching staff. It also pisses me off that Rooney sits by and allows this **** show to take place.

If Rooney would have interceded and told Colbert and Tomlin to to put together a good, not great but an above average oline and with the addition of Harris maybe Ben wouldn't have to play like he was ten years younger and maybe we would have another year or two to address the position.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I believe the Chargers had all 3 timeouts left. There's no way we were running out the clock on that drive.
How many times have we seen Ben orchestrate 4th quarter drives calling his own plays over the years? Canada appears to have Ben's hands tied, and it's bullshit.
So...it was fine to go three-and-out and take only eleven seconds off the clock instead?

Canada is horrendous, but those two incompletions on that possession were just bad throws by Ben.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe the lack of time might have something to do with it. You know it's not like we have an "ALL PRO" line he is working behind.
Yeah, the offensive line leaves a lot to be desired. It's like Ben has been reprogrammed to get the ball out immediately if not sooner, and that doesn't give him a chance to go through his reads. And Canada is not giving him the best first option most of the time.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I understand Ben is not perfect, and I can also see where I come across that he is. But it just pisses me off that Tomlin has ****** away Ben's career and people want to blame Ben for the ineptitude of this coaching staff. It also pisses me off that Rooney sits by and allows this **** show to take place.

If Rooney would have interceded and told Colbert and Tomlin to to put together a good, not great but an above average oline and with the addition of Harris maybe Ben wouldn't have to play like he was ten years younger and maybe we would have another year or two to address the position.
I'm not one of those guys who is going to argue with you about Tomlin wasting Ben's career. He has, without a doubt.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Meh again i staunchly believe that Oc changeovers here always have a first season that relies a lot on the old plays and have multiple examples to prove just that,
But the other thing is I saw a lot of Canada’s offense when he was at Pitt, and when they hired him both at pitt and for the Steelers, there was a lot of breakdown about his offense

He can be very run heavy, uses a fullback, adapts to what a teams strengths and weakness are…

He definitely doesn’t shy from deep passes

So either he completely divorced himself from the traits that defined him in college, or the things that we have bitched about for years aren’t coming from the oc position but rather someone above him

The other thing we all better understand is that green is getting destroyed too often , which is why the qbs are lining up in the shotgun so much… it’s limiting … the biggest mistake we made in the offseason was not bringing in a starter quality C to let Green season for a year… my gosh we brought in an undersized G and converted him to an undersized C and then started him from game 1…

Steelmann

Reaction score
So...it was fine to go three-and-out and take only eleven seconds off the clock instead?

Canada is horrendous, but those two incompletions on that possession were just bad throws by Ben.
I rewatched the game. It was the pivotal moment. And that possession was just sad.
Meh again i staunchly believe that Oc changeovers here always have a first season that relies a lot on the old plays and have multiple examples to prove just that,
But the other thing is I saw a lot of Canada’s offense when he was at Pitt, and when they hired him both at pitt and for the Steelers, there was a lot of breakdown about his offense

He can be very run heavy, uses a fullback, adapts to what a teams strengths and weakness are…

He definitely doesn’t shy from deep passes

So either he completely divorced himself from the traits that defined him in college, or the things that we have bitched about for years aren’t coming from the oc position but rather someone above him

The other thing we all better understand is that green is getting destroyed too often , which is why the qbs are lining up in the shotgun so much… it’s limiting … the biggest mistake we made in the offseason was not bringing in a starter quality C to let Green season for a year… my gosh we brought in an undersized G and converted him to an undersized C and then started him from game 1…
Sorry. I had to lol a bit here. Are you trying to say our QB’s didn’t lineup at SG 90 % of the time before Green? Lol.
And yes I agree with your Green comments. And I blame it on management not Green. Realistically he should be sitting ,learning,coming in the odd play for his transitional year. It’s Bullshit that they put him in this position. That they didn’t take Creed just boggles the mind. Or had a realistic backup plan.