• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's...........................@ Chiefs

Chicoman

Reaction score
Well the first quarter and a half was enjoyable. After that is was pretty much a **** show and all our warts were on display for the whole world to see in a Prime Time Playoff Game in KC. Tomlin said in the pre-game don't blink.......he was right.....after a 7-0 lead it was pretty much KC marching up and down the field at will.....KC had six consecutive TD drives in this game. I'm not sure where to start here but lets start with the offense specifically the lack of production. All season long we've heard Matt Canada's offense.....well Matt Canada needs to take a long walk off a short pier. His play calling is terrible most of the time.....why are there no passing plays over the middle of the field more than 5 yards? NEVER! It's like we are playing on half the field trying to move up and down the field while not using 50% of it. I just don't understand. It's certainly not Ben's arm....he has the arm strength to throw all over the field. In fact it actually takes more arm strength to throw to the sidelines than it does over the middle of the field and if Ben is making those throws....he can certainly make throws over the middle of the field. Shouldn't an offense use the entire football field to run plays on or just half of it because that's what Matt Canada is doing. As for Canada's pre-snap motion...that works in college vs unskilled players but at an NFL level I'm sorry it doesn't work at all. In fact it actually works against you and tips an opposing Defense off to what your play calling is going to be. Canada needs to go back to college....he's not capable of being an OC at an NFL level and he doesn't have the experience. I can only imagine how awful this offense will be with Mason Rudolph if Matt Canada is still our OC next season. He's gotta be the first to go! Defensively this team and Defense is very aggressive and the Chiefs made the necessary adjustments with their play calling and mis-direction plays to catch the Steelers off guard.....quick mis-direction, inside handoffs, shovel passes, etc. Very frustrating to see our Defense make no adjustments to the Chiefs offensive play calling and put a spy on Mahomes or stop sending the house after Mahomes and leaving guys on islands out there knowing a QB like Mahomes can extend the play tasked with trying to cover speedy WR's man on man like Hill & Robinson. I'm no fan of our ILB's at all. ANY OF THEM! Bush, Schobert,, Gilbert, Allen.....none of these guys are starting material in the NFL. Our DB's are weak too and Joe Haden was exploited BIG TIME tonight! He might be a good #2 DB but no longer is he capable of being the #1 DB as he doesn't have the top level speed anymore to shut down & hang with the Elite WR's like Tyreek Hill, Jamarr Chase and other young stud WR's. Finally I hate seeing him go down like this but Big Ben has done all he can....I think his passion for the game is still there but I don't think his body can withstand everything an NFL season can throw at you. I've seen every single game Ben has QB'ed and I've enjoyed him tremendously and I really appreciate his effort he brought to the Steelers week in, week out, win or lose I always know he gave it his all as he did tonight. It's been a wonderful 18 years and it's been a privelege to watch him as a Steeler his entire career. He's a Steeler through and through. It might be hard to see right now but the Steelers and Steeler fans will miss Big Ben something awful when he retires. I just wish he had a better Head Coach than Mike Tomlin for most of his career....for as good as he was.....I think he could have been even better with a coach like Bill Cowher who never had a Franchise QB until the end of his tenure in Pittsburgh. I think Ben would have won us a few more Super Bowls. I also hope it doesn't take us another 23 years to find a Franchise QB. I may not see another Super Bowl Championship. Looking ahead to the off-season and the Draft I hope the Steelers draft a CB & ILB in Rounds 1 & 2 because we need a shut down CB who can cover any WR in the NFL and we need an ILB with a bad attitude who likes to hit people and impose his will on our opponent. From there we need O-line, WR too because Chase Claypool and Dionte Johnson are just guys out there that are average at best. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back a guy who's initials are AB next season!

Game Balls:
Ben Roethlisberger - If this is the end I'm glad you were our QB for 18 years!
TJ Watt - 3 tackles, 1 sack, 1 tipped pass leading to an INT and a Fumble Recovery for a TD
Pressley Harvin - He did a **** job punting most of the season but was pretty solid tonight! 7 punts 49.7 yds per punt
Cam Heyward - Not a great night tonight but he did force that fumble that Watt returned for a TD. His effort all season long was solid and tonight was no different.

Game Goats:
Dionte Johnson - 2 costly drops early and a false start penalty in the game really stopped the offense dead in it's tracks.
Chase Claypool - This guy is really a soft WR......He's not a Steeler in the physical sense! He needs to get more physical and grow as a WR.
Devin Bush - 1 tackle.....yeah he had an interception thanks to TJ Watt but Devin Bush is ******* TERRIBLE!
Joe Schobert - 1 tackle from an ILB in a 3-4 Defense......Cmon man......GET US 2 new ILB's
Matt Canada - This guy is ******* attrocious! He uses half the field to move up and down a football field. I've never seen an OC not use half the football field to run plays on.
Keith Butler - This guy looks like a ******* gimp on the sidelines calling plays. He's gotta go too. Bring in Marvin Lewis to call the Defense!
Mike Tomlin - I'm dubbing him "Mr. Underachiever" This guy will never get FIRED by the Rooneys but he's god awful as a Head Coach and it will be on Full Display after Kevin Colbert leaves and Tomlin becomes the Team GM too.

FU's:
I got nothing man.....the season's over! Ben's most likely going to retire.....going to be a long off-season. Oh well......I just hope it's not 23 years before the next Franchise QB comes to the Burgh!

Last edited:

steelcan58

Reaction score
Any OC that designs a play that's a fake handoff, pump fake, draw and thinks it's a good idea to run it in a playoff game needs a kick in the nuts and be sent packing. Any HC that condones it needs the same.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
Big FU to the Chiefs. Up 21 in the fourth and you pull out a trick play. Next time the Chiefs had the ball, the Steelers should have knocked Mahomes out for the rest of the playoffs. They apparently decided they didn't need their quarterback in their zeal to embarrass their opponent.

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
Claypool is about as effective as Limas Sweed with his bad hands. But at least Sweed was a willing blocker.

Tomlin may be a nice guy, but he’s a **** coach and his no losing seasons mean very little when you get your *** kicked in the playoffs so often.

This team need a complete reboot.

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
Big FU to the Chiefs. Up 21 in the fourth and you pull out a trick play. Next time the Chiefs had the ball, the Steelers should have knocked Mahomes out for the rest of the playoffs. They apparently decided they didn't need their quarterback in their zeal to embarrass their opponent.
That’s not really a trick play for them… they do that all season. Our coaches just never watch film or something

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
Tomlinson is 3-7 in his last 10 playoff games with half of them practically blowouts….he is flirting with Marty Schottenheimer level performance.
Apology for replying to my own post but I had to check shades last 10 playoff game record vs Cowher….Coach Cowher was 7-3 in has last 10 playoff games and almost career .600 playoff record %.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I'm not speaking in terms of what will happen. But what needs to happen. The following people need to be gone:
Tomlin which pretty much means the entire coaching staff but sans Tomlin Canada and the only DC who doesn't call defense I've ever seen Butler.
Bush. Never seen an ILB play like that ever and Schobert right behind him. Harvin III, Turner, Green you can try to repurpose. I'd say most of the rest can stay.

Chicoman

Reaction score
Apology for replying to my own post but I had to check shades last 10 playoff game record vs Cowher….Coach Cowher was 7-3 in has last 10 playoff games and almost career .600 playoff record %.
Cowher was a far superior coach in the NFL than Tomlin has been throughout his career. If Cowher had Ben for 15 seasons I'm pretty confident that they would have won a few more Super Bowls.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Thanks Chico,always look forward to your analysis. Seems like yesterday that this season started. Oh joy,now it’s nonstop off season baloney. I used to laugh at my Dad whenever he complained how much faster time goes as you get older. Not laughing anymore!

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
we won the toss so at least we get the 2nd half kickoff. Ow wait, that's right. Tomlin went with his gut. He really wanted to get to that special package of plays Canada installed just for the game. 2 runs and a deep incompletion.

WTF was with NBCs early game montage of Ben's career? Do they show comebacks? Do they show his Super Bowl clinching scramble vs Seattle, the perfect throw to Santonio? Nope, a montage of him getting sacked and then they put up that he was the most sacked QB in history. Real classy.

I had high hopes for Canada. I was assuming that he would install an offense that was clever and would utelize the talents of the players. I'm thinking Dj on lots of slants and crossers, JuJu on posts and intermediate dig routs, Freiermuth up the seam. najee on wheel routes and angle routes.

And the run game? I knew the OL wasn;t going to be awesome but i was thinking more from under center of at least pistol and WRs blocking.

No,. it's all the same bullshit. Shotgun handoffs. Tons of 2 yard passes and low % deep shots. Nothing sets anything up.

Do the steelers even have a deep post in the playbook?

The offensive scheme is a joke. It's a tecmo bowl offense.

It's an RPO. That's right on every single play Ben has the option to hand off for no gain or throw a quick pass that the WR won't be ready for and will drop.

Football players - guys who understand the game, understand situations and have a feel for the game. They don't need to be told what to do on every ******* play.

Ben
Najee
Feirermuth
Heyward
Watt
Minkah
possibly JuJu

That is all. The rest is a bunch of robot vacuum cleaners who are just as likely to get stuck in the corner as clean the carpet.

The Coaching staff has no teachers. That is obvious. This late in the year and you have guys blowing assignments like it's September. When a student fails a test it's on them. When half the class fails, that's on thne teacher.

You saw the difference between a well coached team and a poorly coached team with the Chiefs trick plays. These are plays they installed probably for this game because they want to get Bienemeny a HC job and they know the steelers are dumb and will fall for anything.

But the point is the plays were perfectly executed. The Steelers can't even prefectly execute their core plays.

How many times does Mahomes thorw a ball 20 yards downfield as a WR stops his route? How many times does Mahomes break the pocket and have nowhere to throw because his WRs are all just ******* standing around?

Eric Bienemey looks like the poop emoji

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Tomlin is 3-7 in his last 10 playoff games with half of them practically blowouts….he is flirting with Marty Schottenheimer level performance.

Tomlin ******* blows. Even one of those 3 playoff wins was because the bungles went full retard at the end of the game.

What sucks is we will have to endure a bunch more ****** seasons that end in a fireball of failure.

steelcan58

Reaction score
Tomlin is 3-7 in his last 10 playoff games with half of them practically blowouts….he is flirting with Marty Schottenheimer level performance.
A lot of Marty's playoff losses were heartbreaking that were the result of some wierd **** happening. The Drive and the Fumble in Cleveland. I seem to recall San Diego missing a short FG.

Most of Tomlin's losses were just a case of getting our brains beat in.

Chicoman

Reaction score
Tomlin ******* blows. Even one of those 3 playoff wins was because the bungles went full retard at the end of the game.

What sucks is we will have to endure a bunch more ****** seasons that end in a fireball of failure.
I think the 3 playoff wins since 2010 for Tomlin were in 2016 vs Matt Moore & Dolphins, KC with Alex Smith....6 FG's by Boswell to win it and the Bungle's debacle in 2015. You can pretty much credit J. Peezey for that win :p

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I think the 3 playoff wins since 2010 for Tomlin were in 2016 vs Matt Moore & Dolphins, KC with Alex Smith....6 FG's by Boswell to win it and the Bungle's debacle in 2015. You can pretty much credit J. Peezey for that win :p

That's even more depressing.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I recall that too. I can say I was never one of those that wanted Cowher gone without revising history.

At least they knocked on the door most seasons and beat the **** out of people on offense and defense. He just needed that guy at qb. He got Ben and the rest is history. Too bad he couldn't have stuck around 4-8 more years. He kept that tough as nails Steeler culture going through his preaching of always playing physical.