• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's............@ Cleveland....Week 3.....

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Wasn't it Daniels that frog splashed Walker and not Chuks? If Chuks isn't downfield on the Warren catch and run and DJ doesn't drop the third down pass, the offense would have had a decent second half as well. Can't blame Trubisky for this one, the defense couldn't get off the field, showed little pressure.

Offense seems to move with Warren as the back, too bad he seems to fumble a bit.
I think it was Chuks and he also got the penalty for being downfield. The announcers thought he was going to get 15 yards for roughness.

Chicoman

Reaction score
Wasn't it Daniels that frog splashed Walker and not Chuks? If Chuks isn't downfield on the Warren catch and run and DJ doesn't drop the third down pass, the offense would have had a decent second half as well. Can't blame Trubisky for this one, the defense couldn't get off the field, showed little pressure.

Offense seems to move with Warren as the back, too bad he seems to fumble a bit.
It was Chuks that jumped on him. I still don't understand wtf he was thinking there.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
when we resigned Adams a run stiffer he should be in instead of Wormley who only pass rush is as usual vs the run as as was Ziggy Hood. just play him at DE when he is it should be big nickel only where there is Heyward Larry and Tyson/Adams at DT
our run D was utter crap not consistent age is showing with Cam n Tyson
they should try DE Highsmith DT heyward DT Adams DT Larry DE Wormley/Neal ( stop putting him vs a power G/C)

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t ever recall a Matt Canada offense that didn’t use a fullback or hback… im 99% certain that is a trend that has been a staple of Mike Tomlin’s era though… we cut the true fullbacks after 07 and pretty much limped through with Tes types playing hback on the rare occasion we needed them.. David Johnson definitely wasn’t there for his blocking
Whiff. And the SB fumble... Sad memories.

Chicoman

Reaction score
when we resigned Adams a run stiffer he should be in instead of Wormley who only pass rush is as usual vs the run as as was Ziggy Hood. just play him at DE when he is it should be big nickel only where there is Heyward Larry and Tyson/Adams at DT
our run D was utter crap not consistent age is showing with Cam n Tyson
they should try DE Highsmith DT heyward DT Adams DT Larry DE Wormley/Neal ( stop putting him vs a power G/C)
They've had Loudermilk INACTIVE for the first 3 games this season. I thought he did pretty good last year. With his youth he should be in there. I heard last night in the Locker Room that several veteran DL looked completely exhausted after the game last night. I think it's actually time to bench Alualu or Wornley and get Loudermilk more involved. I think Alualu is the weakest link right now....saw him getting blown off the line last night too many times.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
You forgot:
Sick of Bush sitting and waiting to get trucked by the RB

Sick of the notion that the OL/DL didn't need top of the draft attention while watching last years R1 pick run up the middle on 1st downs, last years R2 not get targeted until after the 57 minute mark, this year's R1 ride pine and this year's R2 finally get some balls his way, just poorly delivered.
Yeah, but Bush makes one "splash play" every other game, and that's apparently good enough for Mike Tomlin.

The only people following the Steelers closely who didn't believe that the offensive line needed early attention in last year's draft were in the team's war room. Their solution, instead, was taking Kendrick Green in the third round and then forcing him to play a different position in the NFL as a rookie. Pathetic.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely agree but you forgot "sick of Canaduh". DJ was back to his old drop problems last night. He had one that was an easy uncontested catch. He had another where there was a guy there in coverage but he should have come down with it. And, there may have been a 3rd one as well.
I mentioned the stupid runs up the middle on first down, the 3-and-outs, and not using the middle of the field in the passing game. I didn't forget that I'm sick of Canada, I just implied it.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
The names and faces will be very similar next week as well.
The nameless, gray faces of the New York Football Jets will be in town next week.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The nameless, gray faces of the New York Football Jets will be in town next week.
If you thought making Brissett look like Joe Montana was bad, just wait until Joe Flacco does the same. Going to need a new bottle of bourbon for that one.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Adams did well at NT in the few snaps I saw him in the game this week. Give him more snaps. Loudermilk was apparently injured for most of the preseason (per one of the dudes at the PG) and that is why, like Austin when he comes back, isn't getting any playing time. Austin said during the preseason he was ready to go but they never used him and then put him on IR. For whatever reason, the Steelers seem to do that. Now, he probably won't play at all this year.

xjx

Reaction score
There may be a lot of politics or favoritism going on behind the scenes.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Adams did well at NT in the few snaps I saw him in the game this week. Give him more snaps. Loudermilk was apparently injured for most of the preseason (per one of the dudes at the PG) and that is why, like Austin when he comes back, isn't getting any playing time. Austin said during the preseason he was ready to go but they never used him and then put him on IR. For whatever reason, the Steelers seem to do that. Now, he probably won't play at all this year.

Could also be that......................... Austin is actually hurt ?

Salute the nation

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
This is the NFL, not your local youth football association. ;)

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
A stubbornness to make changes not only during a game but then carrying it over to the immediate future is very concerning. The HC has to be held accountable for that. One of my biggest gripes with Tomlin.
Everyone can see this Canada/Mitch situation isn't working, will not work in the immediate future, or long term. Yet here we are trotting it out week to week with no end in sight. If they think Watt will fix all that ails the team I have some bad news for them. If they think that mentioned duo will magically improve I have some bad news for them. Nothing in Canada's tenure has me thinking otherwise.

What really sucks is here I am yet another season finding myself having to lower expectations.

Very very disappointing.
Stubborness is a good point and a huge issue with the franchise right now.

The offensive line has been bad for a few years. They took a discount approach to fixing it and while they're playing decent right now, it could be much better shape if they took the positions seriously. They have guys starting who should still be sitting behind veterans learning.

We drafted a running back in the first round to improve the ground game without having a line in place. The running game is still not good and hasn't been for years.

The defense can't stop the run, another issue that has gone over multiple years. I think there is enough talent to do better than they show. Schematically I don't believe they've adjusted to stop the run.

We all continue to blame the offensive coordinator for the offense. Yes, Canada isn't an NFL OC. However, this offense looks similar to what Fichtner did as well. Four straight years of it. It's not just "Canada's offense," it's also Tomlin's offense.

Tomlin is a good coach, but it's ridiculous how little heat he feels despite his team having the same issues year after year. He is head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers and he can't bring in a good offensive mind? He's now how two long stretches of his career having dreadful offensive line play. No adjustments to stop the run and one of their best (statistically) run defending DL doesn't even get a hat this year.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Could also be that......................... Austin is actually hurt ?

Salute the nation
Could be but when they interviewed him during the preseason, he said he was ready to go but it was up to coach. So.....who knows.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Stubborness is a good point and a huge issue with the franchise right now.

The offensive line has been bad for a few years. They took a discount approach to fixing it and while they're playing decent right now, it could be much better shape if they took the positions seriously. They have guys starting who should still be sitting behind veterans learning.

We drafted a running back in the first round to improve the ground game without having a line in place. The running game is still not good and hasn't been for years.

The defense can't stop the run, another issue that has gone over multiple years. I think there is enough talent to do better than they show. Schematically I don't believe they've adjusted to stop the run.

We all continue to blame the offensive coordinator for the offense. Yes, Canada isn't an NFL OC. However, this offense looks similar to what Fichtner did as well. Four straight years of it. It's not just "Canada's offense," it's also Tomlin's offense.

Tomlin is a good coach, but it's ridiculous how little heat he feels despite his team having the same issues year after year. He is head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers and he can't bring in a good offensive mind? He's now how two long stretches of his career having dreadful offensive line play. No adjustments to stop the run and one of their best (statistically) run defending DL doesn't even get a hat this year.
Yeah those Tomlin mysteries of how much involvement in both sides of the ball. Very well could be his negative influence on offense. There is a pattern there that seems to point in his direction. Regardless he is ultimately responsible for the good and bad of each side of the ball. Yeah the Oline is an omental patch. The run game.... I think it is a mix of scheme and playing the wrong players in situational moments. Fixable. Not sure the O is fixable with the suck combination that is ongoing.

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin has always been slow to react/respond/adjust. Whether it is during the game, during the week, during the bye or whatever. Tomlin has some strengths (no, I don't want to debate Tomlin), but Xs and Os and adjustments have NEVER been among them. His shortcomings to adjust during a game are no different than his shortcomings to adjust player personnel or coaches. That is amplified by the current ownership not having the desire or willingness to jump in.

As a players' coach, Tomlin would be best suited to have reasonably capable offensive and defensive coordinators while focusing on his "player-centric strengths." And I would guess the ownership would do whatever he wants relative to the assistant coaches. However, he simply won't do anything with the O coordinator (not sure if he doesn't care, doesn't want to be upstaged, lacks the offensive knowledge to understand or just doesn't have the cajones). On the defensive side, for some reason he feels the need to hide his involvement on D (really odd and, perhaps, causes miscommunication). I mean, he is the head coach, if he wants to run the D he should just come out and say it).

So like, hate or ambivalent to Tomlin, real adjustments are not likely. One interesting note is that, for the first time, the "players' coach" is starting to get pressure from the players. That may ... may ... be a potential trigger for him to finally do things differently. Maybe. But I am not betting on it.

In any case, Canada gives dumpster fires a bad name.