• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats, & FU's.............vs Ratbirds!

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He would have got avsure pass on either of those had he missed but the PAT looked like a block that's how bad he hit it.

Somebody at the game texted me and said Boswell started early for some reason and that threw the timing off completely.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn’t get to watch the game live after the first quarter but watched it last night when I came home. The addition of Adams was big. The guy fires off on the ball. He was eating blocks and commanding some double teams. Hopefully they watch some film and plan on someone teeing off on that. He also he can come off a block and help seal the edge. Surprising quickness. The past couple of games, Shobert looked like he finally settled into this defense and understands his role. Bush, meh- Wormley was solid. This Leglue guy- he could be a potential starter. The guy is quick and nimble and the second half, Najee was eating off the left side.
Dan Moore- his best game.
Ben looked vintage.
Harvin- that punt that pinned the Rats at the one was a thing of beauty. His others were hit and mostly miss. I did notice Kuntz delivering the ball about knee level several times which made him seem to take away from his kick. Who knows. Hopefully they work it out.
Dionte- looks like their best receiver (whoever said Santonio was most accurate)

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn’t get to watch the game live after the first quarter but watched it last night when I came home. The addition of Adams was big. The guy fires off on the ball. He was eating blocks and commanding some double teams. Hopefully they watch some film and plan on someone teeing off on that. He also he can come off a block and help seal the edge. Surprising quickness. The past couple of games, Shobert looked like he finally settled into this defense and understands his role. Bush, meh- Wormley was solid. This Leglue guy- he could be a potential starter. The guy is quick and nimble and the second half, Najee was eating off the left side.
Dan Moore- his best game.
Ben looked vintage.
Harvin- that punt that pinned the Rats at the one was a thing of beauty. His others were hit and mostly miss. I did notice Kuntz delivering the ball about knee level several times which made him seem to take away from his kick. Who knows. Hopefully they work it out.
Dionte- looks like their best receiver (whoever said Santonio was most accurate)
I would leave Adams and Leglue where they are at until they show incapable. Also that padded practice would now be the norm. Or up tempo what ever they did. Speaking of up tempo that is what they should practice on offense and should be the game plan every week. Part of changing the fail is changing things up from what wasn't working. I would have a meeting with Canada and say I would like that approach until seasons end. On D throw in some tackling sessions. They could use to tighten that aspect of the D up.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I would leave Adams and Leglue where they are at until they show incapable. Also that padded practice would now be the norm. Or up tempo what ever they did. Speaking of up tempo that is what they should practice on offense and should be the game plan every week. Part of changing the fail is changing things up from what wasn't working. I would have a meeting with Canada and say I would like that approach until seasons end. On D throw in some tackling sessions. They could use to tighten that aspect of the D up.
Agreed. I did like a lot of the play designs yesterday.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Game ball
Ben
Johnson
Watt
Wormley
Harris effort all the way
The Steeler fans who gave it their all
Goats
The secondary including Fitzpatrick
The defense that allowed twice after we scored the Ravens to come down at ease for a score
Bush a big goat, why is he even on the field
The coach who is in charge of tackling technique, he sucks
Fu to Tomlin with that scared look all night and Canada with his play calling till Ben is allowed to open things up

matarndt

Reaction score
Somebody at the game texted me and said Boswell started early for some reason and that threw the timing off completely.
Not sure about him "starting early", but his plant foot slipped. That's why he hit is so badly. You can see it clearly on the replay from the rear angle that they showed during the game.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They went for 2 because Tomlin did. IMO. Dont love Tomlin, but thats why harbaugh went for 2

Hairballs post game he said they didn't have any corners left and in overtime the STEELERS would have exploited them as they did end of game.

Salute the nation

str8liner

Reaction score
Bush a big goat, why is he even on the field

If the Steeler's are interested, I could suit up and give it a try Thursday night. I know I could give more effort on some plays and I am 6'1", 220 lbs of mostly fat, and can't make it to the mailbox without being winded....

WTF is up with him?!?!

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure about him "starting early", but his plant foot slipped. That's why he hit is so badly. You can see it clearly on the replay from the rear angle that they showed during the game.

Again, somebody AT THE GAME saw what happened, said Boswell started early for some reason and the timing was completely thrown off. You are describing the consequences; I believe the person at the game was describing the cause.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Hair balls went for it because he thought he had the momentum
That was the smart play at the time.
Go for the tie at home and go for a win away.
I was kinda hoping for a tie so Shades could have two ties in one season. But hey, never a losing season.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
The Devin Bush saga is unbelievable. He had some good coverages tonight I won't take that away. He made one good run stuff when the Rats were pretty much going into the Locker room. Other than that he was the physical *****. In my mind how could Buddy Johnson possibly be worse. I watched closely. It's jaw dropping they keep him in.
Simple fact is that Bush was a first-round pick so barring injury he will start every game until his contract runs out. Tombert has done this many times before with other players hoping a switch will go off and they don't look like a bust. A player of pedigree and things of that nature obviously. Benching a first-rounder for a UDFA who is better is a bad look so no matter how bad he is, he isn't coming out. They might adjust schemes and duties to cover for him but he isn't coming out. That said, Polamalu didn't show much his first year either but then he came around. Assuming his knee is okay I think he's struggling with the mental part of the game.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Simple fact is that Bush was a first-round pick so barring injury he will start every game until his contract runs out. Tombert has done this many times before with other players hoping a switch will go off and they don't look like a bust. A player of pedigree and things of that nature obviously. Benching a first-rounder for a UDFA who is better is a bad look so no matter how bad he is, he isn't coming out. They might adjust schemes and duties to cover for him but he isn't coming out. That said, Polamalu didn't show much his first year either but then he came around. Assuming his knee is okay I think he's struggling with the mental part of the game.
Speaking of contract the rumor flying around is the Steelers won't pick up his 5th year option.

deljzc

Reaction score
I still think we are stupid team, poorly coached and need a complete overhaul....

That said, I love beating the ******* Ravens and Harbaugh. Love being a thorn in their sides. Love exposing them for the whiners they are.

I WANT them to sign Jackson too a huge contract so let them win the division this year.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
What a comeback and nice to see the Steelers Defense step up and keep Jackson and their running game in check. A team win in all facets of the game.....credit to the coaching staff and credit to playin their first time all season for filling in. I really didn't give the team much hope this week as they are just batterrred and injured. Things started off bad with the Steelers controlling the ball for just 6:30 minutes in the entire first half. Big time props to TJ Watt & Cam Heyward who definitely weren't 100% but they played balls to the wall. Not much more I can say this team let it all out on the field today and played balls to the wall. Sorry folks I don't have much else to add I've been battling CoViD for the past 12 days and it's been brutal.....sorry I have nothing else to add......

Peace!

Per Tomlin's Post Game:
BJ Finney - Back being evaluated

Game Balls:
Ben Roethlisberger - 5 games to go and I'm giving the old veteran today a game ball for leading us down for the go ahead TD and 2 point conversion to give us a 7 point lead.
TJ Watt - The guy is a friggin animal.....he brings it on every play.....this is the type of effort we should be from Devin Bust!
Cam Heyward - Don't know how sick he was today but his effoirt on the field was unreal too.
Chris Wormsley - 2.5 sacks today did a great job keeping Jackson in the pocket
Minkah Fitzpatrick - early INT in the endzone this afternoon ended up being a differenence maker this game.

Game Goats:
AHHHH i'M NOT GOING THERE BUT THE FRIGGIN GUY ONLY HAD 2 TACKLES AND NONE AFTER THE FIRST QTR....I didn't even see the 2 tackles.

FU's:
WTG Crybaugh.....good call going to for 2 on the final play. I love it when this guy cries in the post game

Always enjoy this post after each game Chicoman.......... take care of yourself and get well soon ........ my steelers brother

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
add......

Hairballs post game he said they didn't have any corners left and in overtime the STEELERS would have exploited them as they did end of game.

Salute the nation
Hmmm?
Doesn't hold water with me...
If they receive the kick off and go down and get a touchdown in OT...you don't need any corners...
Hell you don't need an entire defense for that matter!

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to be negative about a guy who has come through time and again, especially after a BIG win, but Boswell would have to be a goat, had they lost!

A missed PAT, that greatly affected things, if not for the 2 pt conversion made by the O to go up 20-13. But then following that score with a kick-off out of bounds, and Ravens starting that final drive on the 40!!! Ravens snapped ball on TD play with about 12 seconds left… if that kickoff is through the end zone and Ravens start drive at 25, instead of 40, we likely don’t even have to stress over a 2 pt conversion, because they may have run out of time??? You can’t give the opponent an extra 15 yards to start a drive after taking first lead of game, under 2 minutes!!!

Heinz Field was completely resodded this past week. In between the hash marks at 10 yards from the GL is always the most chopped up section of the field. If you watch the replay, Boz plant foot slipped on the loose sod. He’s lucky he didn’t fold that ankle then.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
A lot of comments about the kick offs, I do believe they are called by bubble gum. We are one of the few teams that does not consistently kick the ball into the end zone. We always get cutesy and try to stop them within the 20 hoping we can get enough Hangtime and our special teams can get down the field to possibly make a tackle. I think that short kick was a play call to try to pin them back with 1 timeout inside their 10

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

So,........................... Basically do their "coaching" jobs.

I hear what you are saying slash and fully agree. The tackling has to increase to a point of changing what they have been doing and Coach Tomlin is slow to do that.

I like the up-temple offense and am curious as to if BEN has a lot more input at that stage as to what is called. I still think BEN is a better play caller than anyone on the team and that includes coaching.

Salute the nation

matarndt

Reaction score
Again, somebody AT THE GAME saw what happened, said Boswell started early for some reason and the timing was completely thrown off. You are describing the consequences; I believe the person at the game was describing the cause.
I just watched it again, and there is nothing unusual about the attempt aside from the plant foot slipping. You don't have to be at the game to see it was not a timing issue.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm rewatching the game now.

FU AGAIN to the refs and announcers for not acknowledging that DJ was not a defenseless WR on the unnecessary hit by Frank Clark. We all know if that would have been anyone on our defense the player is flagged and probably ejected!!!

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

FU AGAIN to the refs and announcers for not acknowledging that DJ was not a defenseless WR on the unnecessary hit by Frank Clark. We all know if that would have been anyone on our defense the player is flagged and probably ejected!!!
That should have gotten an unnecessary roughness penalty. It was a bad miss in a game that they were calling ticky tacky penalties. But water is wet and the refs blow huge chunks. Always have to adapt and overcome despite the incompetence. Luckily the team did. There was some heart shown Sunday, I would like to see more of it as a collective whole.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I don't know about the ejected part but I do know we would have gotten a flag. Reverse the role and you dang sure as **** we get a flag.

Salute the nation

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Need to add Najee to the list of game balls. The OL is still sketchy but the kid does everything that has been asked week in and week out. Lev Bell who???
Love the sentiment, but I was saying that right after Conner took over and was better in every statistical category than Bell. (Well, he did have a frustrating penchant for fumbling at some **** times, but I feel he made up for that by demonstrating that a running back COULD get more than 20 yards on a carry and even score TDs now and then.)

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He's definitely more Holmes than AB, in fact that's prob the best comparison for him.
I feel like Holmes was a bit faster. I do like when Johnson stops on a dime and goes the other way though.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
i hear ya.. But maybe harbaugh did the dumb thing because we did. IDK I cant explain it. The play call was correct. we are lucky. Look at our dumb *** defenders that were supposed to be covering. Given the fact that Andrews kicked our *** all day, i cant believe they didnt have someone assigned. If we did , even worse.
Bush was trailing him. Ironically, even though Bush had coverage, Minkah was the closest guy to Andrews. If you watched the replay Bush was literally 5 or 6 yards behind Andrews, jogging.
Weak. So very weak.