• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats, & FU's.............vs Ratbirds!

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bush was trailing him. Ironically, even though Bush had coverage, Minkah was the closest guy to Andrews. If you watched the replay Bush was literally 5 or 6 yards behind Andrews, jogging.
Weak. So very weak.

YET he is still jogged out there week in and week out.

Marcus Allen says Hi but sings............................................Put me in coach i'm ready to play....today

Salute the nation

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Bush was trailing him. Ironically, even though Bush had coverage, Minkah was the closest guy to Andrews. If you watched the replay Bush was literally 5 or 6 yards behind Andrews, jogging.
Weak. So very weak.
Bush was just conserving energy for Overtime........ what .....wait .......what ..... you mean if he scored there would be no overtime......... coach never told me that,,,, my bad

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Heinz Field was completely resodded this past week. In between the hash marks at 10 yards from the GL is always the most chopped up section of the field. If you watch the replay, Boz plant foot slipped on the loose sod. He’s lucky he didn’t fold that ankle then.

Yes, he stutter-stepped and his left foot rolled. Got it.

For the third time, that happened to the guy who kicked a 53-yard field goal and a 43-yard field goal on the same turf because he ****** up the timing by starting early. Should have been illegal procedure, no play, but whatever.

Ahhh...Ray Ray was ABSOLUTELY ROBBED on that incomplete pass. That was a catch.

FU Roger/refs/Romo

Agreed 100%. No way the evidence supports overturning. For Christ sake, why is it every year, some bullshit call is made against the Steelers on a reception (Jesse James, McCloud), and you see a much worse play that is called a catch?

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
He would have got avsure pass on either of those had he missed but the PAT looked like a block that's how bad he hit it. And still I'd say that is what it is and was made up for by the two point. But Robots aside there is no way that kickoff can be anywhere near the sideline. Right down the pipe and at least 7 yards deep in the endzone. Put them on the 25 or force them to bring it out from deep. That is like asking a pro golfer to hit a basic drive 270 yards. Not a problem.
I understand what you're saying. Giving up 15 yards in field position there is not ideal. But the Steelers' kickoff coverage hasn't been great lately, so there's no guarantee that if the Ravens bring it out, they're keeping them inside the 25. And if I had to choose one or the other, I'd take the long field goal make. If Boswell misses that 53-yarder, it's 3 less points on the board and it gives the ball to Baltimore on the 43, which is better for them than a kickoff out of bounds. That was a big-time, crucial kick right before halftime.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying. Giving up 15 yards in field position there is not ideal. But the Steelers' kickoff coverage hasn't been great lately, so there's no guarantee that if the Ravens bring it out, they're keeping them inside the 25. And if I had to choose one or the other, I'd take the long field goal make. If Boswell misses that 53-yarder, it's 3 less points on the board and it gives the ball to Baltimore on the 43, which is better for them than a kickoff out of bounds. That was a big-time, crucial kick right before halftime.
Doesn't have to be one or the other. Basically putting them on the 40 was the worst he could do. Kicking as deep as he could even if they get a good return is not his problem. If they asked him to corner the kick that is on coaches. No way they did that.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
As I beileve was mentioned and maybe not game balls but definitely attaboys for LeGlue (who?) and Adams. Adams came in off a practice squad, practiced once or twice and did nothing short of look like our best option at NT for the rest of the year. And, when I heard LeGlue's name, I blurted out, "who the **** is that". You know some of you did as well. Anyhow, he and Moore were run blocking like crazy in that 2nd half. LeGlue may be starting next to Moore next week. Good to see Moore get hurt and be able to tough it out and finish the game.
If you didn't know who the **** Leglue was, then you weren't paying attention in preseason. He had a great camp and played well in every exhibition game.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding the final kick to the Ravens, I would note that when the Ravens kicked to us at the 1, it took about 12 seconds off the clock for Ray to run sideways back and forth to almost the 20. And had they been able to make the Ravens return and held them to around the 25 or so, it would have likely been worth it for the lost clock.

Ball just took that **** bounce.

All that said, I would have gone for the super deep middle of the EZ kick and let em have it at the 25.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I really wanted Devin Bush to succeed and he has not played like he did prior to his injury.

I think we need to give the kid a break - especially on the last play. The two point conversion.

Bush is playing in his normal ILB spot on the play, and until I watched the game/play again, I didn't notice that Andrew's lined up on the left side. On the snap of the ball he (Andrews) takes a step forward but immediately cuts hard to the right across the grain and underneath the OL. He was completely invisible, if you will, and pops up uncovered underneath our coverage.

Edmunds/Bush see it late but Watts disruption causes the pass to be thrown on a rope hard right and off target.

We got lucky but the kudos go to TJ on that play...

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Simple fact is that Bush was a first-round pick so barring injury he will start every game until his contract runs out. Tombert has done this many times before with other players hoping a switch will go off and they don't look like a bust. A player of pedigree and things of that nature obviously. Benching a first-rounder for a UDFA who is better is a bad look so no matter how bad he is, he isn't coming out. They might adjust schemes and duties to cover for him but he isn't coming out.
What's funny about that approach is if the lightbulb finally goes on, as it did with Dupree, the player is in his contract year, and subsequently leaves town. So they're either stuck with ****** play for years, or they eventually get one good season before the guy is gone anyway. I don't see any switches being flipped for Bush.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And just for giggles, a question for the "rules guys", say a kickoff is so deep it hits the crossbar of the goal post and gets an amaze-balls bounce and comes back 10 or so yards into the field of play... is that a "playable" ball or is it down as soon as it hits the crossbar which is technically OOB.

(And just for MORE giggles, if the goal posts ARE OOB, how is a FG attempt that hits the crossbar and bounces in/over good when the crossbar is technically OOB?)

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I really wanted Devin Bush to succeed and he has not played like he did prior to his injury.
Agree here. I want EVERY one of our players to be the best ever at their position. Right up until they leave via trade or free agency. Then I want them to plummet as though father time had sodomized them in a prison cell. (Enjoy THAT visual).

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't see Andrews route throughout the play. Are you saying he basically ran a route like a pulling guard, right on the ***** of the O-Line?

If so that is a BALLSY move. One decent penetrating D-lineman (And you have Watt on the other side) and your play is blown up. Unless Andrews was not the first read, but just an outlet option.

Still, ballsy. Lots more to go wrong there than right. Makes you appreciate T.J. all the more.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be one or the other. Basically putting them on the 40 was the worst he could do. Kicking as deep as he could even if they get a good return is not his problem. If they asked him to corner the kick that is on coaches. No way they did that.
No, as I already explained, the worst thing he could have done was to miss the 53-yard field goal. Which he didn't.

And you don't know if the coaches told him to corner it or not. No way? You underestimate this coaching staff, I guess. The ball took a weird sideways bounce 20 or 25 feet from the boundary on the 2 yard line, and ended up a whopping 6 inches out of bounds. A foot the other way, and we're all singing his praises for pinning them deep. Give me a ******* break, guy. Find something else to complain about.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
1. Harbaugh was probably right going for two there… their d is toast and they would have had a safety playing cb… their oline was also decimated… they even had the right playcall.

2. We absolutely had to go for two

3. We should have turned down the offsides on 2-2 from the thirteen.. it cost us making the rats use at least one more timeout and potentially running the clock down severely on them had we converted

4. We always start the Ravens game run heavy unless they suck vs the run, in which case we pass… its like clockwork

5. TgecRavens have the worse pass d in the league and just lost their best cb for the season. Everyone should just pass on them until they utterly collapse

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
I didn't see Andrews route throughout the play. Are you saying he basically ran a route like a pulling guard, right on the ***** of the O-Line?

If so that is a BALLSY move. One decent penetrating D-lineman (And you have Watt on the other side) and your play is blown up. Unless Andrews was not the first read, but just an outlet option.

Still, ballsy. Lots more to go wrong there than right. Makes you appreciate T.J. all the more.
What I've heard is that Andrews was not the primary read. They were putting the ball into Jackson's hands, but TJ blowing the play up made Andrews the only option. It also made the pass go wide and hard.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
What I've heard is that Andrews was not the primary read. They were putting the ball into Jackson's hands, but TJ blowing the play up made Andrews the only option. It also made the pass go wide and hard.
Agreed. Can't wait to see the All-22 on the play...

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Weak. So very weak.
Two point conversion play. Everybody knows that the likelihood of a run play is pretty much zilch. Watch Bush get sucked up in the wash as he bites on the fake. By the time he recovers, he's beaten badly and Minkah is most definitely the closest guy to Andrews.
Edit: Edmunds is closest guy to Andrews.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Speaking of contract the rumor flying around is the Steelers won't pick up his 5th year option.
That's a ways off but if he doesn't get better then hell no.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
What's funny about that approach is if the lightbulb finally goes on, as it did with Dupree, the player is in his contract year, and subsequently leaves town. So they're either stuck with ****** play for years, or they eventually get one good season before the guy is gone anyway. I don't see any switches being flipped for Bush.
Agree, I'm seeing a rerun of Jason Worilds and Jarvis Jones.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Maybe the Steelers need to do with Bush what they did with Dupree--play him to his strengths. Dupree started to produce when they moved him to his stronger side and used him as a pass rusher rather than dropping him into coverage. I don't care if his PFF grades sucked or if he only produced because of Watt, he was a productive player in this defensive scheme not only picking up sacks, but also as a run defender. I honestly don't know what Bush's strengths are, but let's use them. Simplify the game for him and set him up for success to build confidence.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Two point conversion play. Everybody knows that the likelihood of a run play is pretty much zilch. Watch Bush get sucked up in the wash as he bites on the fake. By the time he recovers, he's beaten badly and Minkah is most definitely the closest guy to Andrews.

This comes down to football IQ. Guys like Farrior, Foote, and even Williams would recognize this play. Harrison made the best defensive play in Super Bowl history because of his football IQ. It's the preparation Monday-Saturday that pays off on Sunday. Bush just hasn't shown that read and react ability and gets caught out of position too often.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score

looking at it from that angle, great play call. TJ won us another game, and it will not go down in the stats sheet.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I think the sad part is we poached a guy off a practice squad who was with the team for like a week and he played better than what we had. Then we had Leglue who most didn't remember come in and have one of the better line games of the year.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
It looked like Andrews was Fitz to start and then when Andrews went in motion he passed him to Bush who just watched Andrews run across the line before releasing into the flat. Watt busted that play