• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's......Week 1 @ Buffalo.....

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I have to disagree with a few on here. I don’t think the OLine deserves a **** you whatsoever. It was their first start in the NFL as a unit ,and first at all for our rookies. While they didn’t open up a ton of holes in the first half,I thought they gave Ben time on a few pass plays,but Ben totally missed receivers. He looked horrible. 5 drives..... 5 punts. One half assed drive. To blame that all on the OLine?

When they were in the redzone they gave their QB lots of time. Take a look. Lots of improvements in the 2nd. They did well in the no huddle. It’s not like Ben was running for his life the whole game. If anything Josh Allen had more pressure. Ben of course looked way sharper in the second,and I thought the OLine looked good. First start as a unit in the NFL.
They deserve al least a mini game ball.

Theyre honestly terrible..

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
I have to disagree with a few on here. I don’t think the OLine deserves a **** you whatsoever. It was their first start in the NFL as a unit ,and first at all for our rookies. While they didn’t open up a ton of holes in the first half,I thought they gave Ben time on a few pass plays,but Ben totally missed receivers. He looked horrible. 5 drives..... 5 punts. One half assed drive. To blame that all on the OLine?

When they were in the redzone they gave their QB lots of time. Take a look. Lots of improvements in the 2nd. They did well in the no huddle. It’s not like Ben was running for his life the whole game. If anything Josh Allen had more pressure. Ben of course looked way sharper in the second,and I thought the OLine looked good. First start as a unit in the NFL.
They deserve al least a mini game ball.
This goes back to coaching... if they knew this is what we had. They should have played more minutes in preseason.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
This goes back to coaching... if they knew this is what we had. They should have played more minutes in preseason.
Dotson and Chuks were injured for a significant portion of camp/preseason. Moore got a lot of reps at LT (where he's playing). Greene got a lot of reps at C. Turner got a lot of reps (for a vet) at RG. Cant play injured players.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Did Freiermuth get hurt? Gentry was in there late and didn't see Pat

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Wait, changed my mind.......Who decided the road baseball caps were a good idea.? TV makes them look like they're wearing a big zero on their head.
My wife noticed before I did. She's like, "WTF with the ballcaps?"

Chicoman

Reaction score
With regards to the O-line I'll give them a pass for a few weeks...hopefully they come together. Kendrick Green got baptized by FIRE today...having to call the protections vs a great Bills Front 7. I think Tomlin should have started Hassenhauer who at least has a little experience. They looked terrible to start.....in the 2nd half they improved but there is plenty of room for improvement moving forward.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
I hate to say it but Cam Sutton played a very good game. I really hate to say it but Tomlin did do something at half was a completely new game. Cam outstanding game.

Goats offensive line, Offensive coordinator...play calls seemed so much as always ,

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
can we use from the pistol d watt at FB using a twin te set and juju as a ward type run blocker is not enough

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice rookie showing not stat dominating but a collective bunch of contributions. I was surprised by the secondaries performance but when you can pressure with a few it allows you to back load your coverage. I think the offense adjusted well at halftime. That can't do nothing but help bring confidence to the vets and rookies. Not that there isn't work to do. I think they should have played Ben more in preseason but that isn't a new wish. Good to see the team start with a win and go away relatively healthy. Overall the day ended with a win and I am stoked about that.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
6 rookies Started the 1st game of the season again a Super Bowl contender and we won.
I have no goats

FU to the NFL for letting us have no idea what pass interference or holding is anymore.

Steelz

Reaction score
Nice rookie showing not stat dominating but a collective bunch of contributions. I was surprised by the secondaries performance but when you can pressure with a few it allows you to back load your coverage. I think the offense adjusted well at halftime. That can't do nothing but help bring confidence to the vets and rookies. Not that there isn't work to do. I think they should have played Ben more in preseason but that isn't a new wish. Good to see the team start with a win and go away relatively healthy. Overall the day ended with a win and I am stoked about that.
I agree with this, I also think Ben needs to get back to practicing 5 days a week with the team, something he hasn't done for atleast 2 years. He's been getting Vet days off every week and only practicing Thursdays and Fridays, then showing up to games on Sundays and looking rusty as hell. More practice is the only way he's going to fix this.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
FU to the NFL for letting us have no idea what pass interference or holding is anymore.

Oh come on Blitz, the holding rule is the same as it has been since James Harrison replaced a pre-game ejected Joey Porter:

"No offensive player may impede the progress of a defensive player by grabbing any part of the defender's uniform, or by wrapping an arm around the defender to block the progress of the defender. However, the preceding rule does NOT apply to any player wearing a Black & Gold uniform, nor shall the infraction be called on any player wearing a uniform that includes the words 'Patsy' or 'Cheater.' "

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
The offense looked too much like 2020's version for my liking.

The passing game came to life some in the second half, but it is still very horizontal in natural and I'm guessing all the talk about Ben playing significantly more from under center was BS.

The defense was awesome against what is widely expected to be a top 5 offense this year. Heyward and Haden, in particular, seem to still be going strong well into their 30s.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
They probably called 5 holds. They could have called 5 more. At times it seemed like the Bill's game plan was They won't call every hold. One the guy grabbed Watt around the waist from behind.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
They probably called 5 holds. They could have called 5 more. At times it seemed like the Bill's game plan was They won't call every hold. One the guy grabbed Watt around the waist from behind.

Dan Moore got away with a couple holds as well

Holding is one of those things they can call every play, and who wants to watch that?

I think pass rushers have gotten so good around the league that the league has had to become more lenient on holding.

The league wants offense.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
That is the bill-acheat approach to blocking. They won't call everything. One good thing is you like the pressure this D can apply. Much needed when an O will obviously go through some early struggles. Which as was pointed out elsewhere, no shocker there.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Can't really blame the oline they have barely played together and not sure where they are at pure talent wise. They just need to be average.

Ben looked alright a little more mobile and stood in there a few times.

Najee had tough sledding but showed what he can do if he gets a crease.

DJ gets a game ball for the tough td catch
The whole D deserves a game ball. We could have been blown out the first half.

Punter makes me nervous, but was his first game so we will see.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
One good thing is you like the pressure this D can apply.

And the pass pressure came from five guys - Watt, Ingram, Highsmith, Heyward and Alualu - beating blockers and not due to schemes or tricking the blockers.

When the pass rush can simply overpower the pass blocking without needing to blitz, that means 7 guys in coverage. The result? 54 pass plays (51 passes, 3 sacks), 254 passing yards allowed, or an average of 4.7 yards per pass attempt. And that is not counting the five holding calls the pass rush forced.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
That is the bill-acheat approach to blocking. They won't call everything. One good thing is you like the pressure this D can apply. Much needed when an O will obviously go through some early struggles. Which as was pointed out elsewhere, no shocker there.
I agree if the front seven stays healthy that is one thing they can hang their collective hat on. They can apply pressure. I thought Melvin Ingrim was outstanding today. And from the perspective of being able to rotate the players they might be better from an edge standpoint than last season.