• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's......Week 1 @ Buffalo.....

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Which player got the game ball for the team? Wonder how we find that out?
Haven't seen anything wire out over it. But Heyward would get my game ball. Guy was a force out there on the field. With Tuitt out it was good to see that stabilizing presence.

deljzc

Reaction score
My take of the game.

First, I'm actually watching the Steelers again. Not sure for how long, but I kind of have a feeling this is Ben's last hurrah, and after 16+ years (I can not believe it's been that long), I figure I owe him a bit to watch.

Second, how the hell does anyone watch football games live anymore? My lord, there is down time. flags, too many commercials, and stupid commentary. Taping the games and starting them up about 90 minutes late (2:30PM) is the only way to go.

Comments:

I find it amazing that when Buffalo struggles on offense, it's because our defense is amazing. When we struggle on offense, it's because we're all rookies and bad personnel setups and our guys fault. I thought Buffalo's defense played pretty well. Ed Oliver was very disruptive. They really did use Tra'davious White to blanket one half of the field. Buffalo is pretty solid and they were playing at home.

That doesn't mean our offense was never at fault. Just like I thought the Bills had pretty good chances (Josh Allen overthrew two almost sure big play/touchdowns in that game - passes he should make) and our defense got bailed out by some penalties (they had 4 holding penalties in the first half) and bad execution.

It kind of works both ways. I thought both teams didn't play particularly well on offense. Execution was bad. Penalties were timely and costly. Lots of clutching and grabbing on the offensive line. Run game was inconsistent. Pass game was inconsistent.

In the long run, the offensive problems can't stay the same week-in, week-out. We have to have a running game or the whole game plan will devolve into exactly what we saw last season and Ben's arm will fall off by about Week 12. The defense looks good, but there were opportunities and that's the way this game is played now. You can not just depend on your defense week-in, week-out. The new rules and the way the game is officiated is just stacked against you. You can have stretches of good defense. Some bend, not break moments, high turnover generation..... but eventually the favoritism to the offense and better QB's out there will catch up with you.

We need a better offense. Nothing about this game changed my mind. Very, very typical of last season and how we won some games. Sure, a win is a win. And you'd rather be on the good side of these games than lose. But this game also does NOT reflect the talent level or capabilities of this team yet. I see an awful lot of false promise, just like I felt during the early parts of 2020.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
I always start at 1:20 and can usually fast forward through all commercials and I rewind A LOT to watch plays and players over. During half refresh bowl and drinks and have paused during that time to get well behind again and then FF through commercials again. with DVR I can also flip games or Red Zone and go right back to where I left off. Just have to avoid phone or Red Zone going to Steelers Game.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Don’t invite me then. I have 101 inside and outside sales reps. I’m the only one that does not need a microphone when I’m doing my sales seminars and corporate meetings. I tend to project, LOL

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Part of the fix is DJ running the correct route. Ran the wrong route twice on the same type of play (opp sides of the field) yesterday. Was waiting for Ben to get in his ***, but Ben just looked at him like that kindly uncle who gives you that "Boy, you know you done ****** up and I know you done ****** up, so let's talk about it" look.
One wonders if Ben is a bit less likely these days to get on a receiver's *** after AB basically claimed he was the anti-christ.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
One wonders if Ben is a bit less likely these days to get on a receiver's *** after AB basically claimed he was the anti-christ.
Crazy thing is that he pulled that **** on Ben, then goes to work with a guy who is known for throwing his teammates under the bus (well, his wife is anyway) and acts like he's dealing with Saint Thomas of Brady. smh

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Crazy thing is that he pulled that **** on Ben, then goes to work with a guy who is known for throwing his teammates under the bus (well, his wife is anyway) and acts like he's dealing with Saint Thomas of Brady. smh
Honeymoon.

**** WILL go south sooner or later.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Honeymoon.

**** WILL go south sooner or later.
Amazing how he was the top paid WR here and we let him do as he pleased until the end...now he is making just over #3 mill and he is a quire boy.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
We have a receiving Corp better than we ever have.
They have potential, but i dont think they have made it yet. JuJu has been given the possession role and Claypool kinda disappeared last year after mid-season. DJ starting coming on strong after a rough start and looks pretty good so far. Its hard to tell where they are at exactly due to the line problems. Claypool probably has the most potential due to his size,speed, and catch radius. Hopefully he keeps his head in the right place.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
We have a receiving Corp better than we ever have.
I don't know about that...

I love JuJu. I really do. I think he's solid and kinda "Hines lite".

I enjoy watching Claypool. I think his time of absolute domination is over though. The book is out and I think he gets more attention from the D which makes him less explosive. (Although he DID have a couple AMAZING plays last week. I aint sayin' he isn't special. I'm just not sure he's quite "Calvin Johnson". Dear GOD, let me be so so very wrong!

Diontae went a LONG way in just one game to make me feel better about him. His drops last year put him outside my doghouse cleaning up doo. But he made some great catches on a couple tough balls yesterday.

You all know I love me some Washington. All he does is catch foosballs, but again, what's his ceiling exactly? I think he can be a great possession receiver with a couple sneaky deep route opportunities a game to either bust something open or at least keep the defense honest, but given his position on the depth chart, I just hope he stays motivated to keep working his butt off because for the last couple years, every time he DOES get in to a game, he's as consistent a WR as the Steelers have.

Ebron has got some climbing to do for me. I am literally surprised whenever he or Diontae catch a pass right now, not even kidding. So if he continues to make the routine plays he's supposed to make, I can at least kinda respect him. But honestly I felt McDonald was a more reliable, more dangerous TE a few years ago.

Friermuth, well, we just don't have enough tape on him yet to really see what we've got. He's had 2 great plays, one in the receiving and one in the blocking game and that's enough to have me happy whenever I see his number on the field.

But...

AB / HW / MW / ES / HM
vs
DJ / JSS / CC / JW / EE

or even...

AB / JSS / CC / JW / VM
vs
DJ / JSS / CC / JW / EE

I like the group, but I'm not ready to crown em just yet.