• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Getting the OLBand back together

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Q. Does a guy like this do physical tests or show video of physical tests. And by that I mean does he run shuttles, 4 cone and other combine like drills. Because to me if he can do those things to a acceptable level, why would you not sign him to a reasonable deal. The guy was a beast his last couple seasons in Pittsburgh.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Did he hurt himself getting out of the car?
He visited today and took a physical. Could be a contract signed very soon.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like this move Bud really struggled after he left here and had injury trouble. Not sure what he brings to the table at this point in his career. We should be able to find a cheaper alternative
TEN put Bud on the Left side opposite Landry (12 sacks). Vrabel’s scheme used the DT/DE Simmons and Autry as the focal power rushers, which made the OLBs second fiddle. Landry feasted on Simmons and Autry being double teamed, and going against a TE or RB. When Landry left as a FA, they didn’t move Dupree to the ROLB spot but signed David Long for it Instead. Long had zero sacks, but he’s a better coverage OLB than pass rusher. Vrabel probably should have moved Bud to the other side instead. But he was injured a lot for sure. TEN stadium grass/turf has had complaints from players though.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So, still no news one way or the other?

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
If he did a physical then the deal was on the table. Might he be injured ?
They had just finalized two other deals, perhaps that just delayed the signing temporarily and or they are just tweaking the incentives...

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Did he pass the physical, anyone know?
Perhaps Bud values his talent more than the Steelers are willing to pay, and if that's the case, he maybe waiting for a better offer.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
My guess is he came in, took the physical, heard their offer, and is still waiting to see if a starter role is available elsewhere… he is thirty years old… a backup prove it contract is incredibly risky.. I think if tge Steelers we’re offering mid level lb money he was signing… if they were offering less than six million he was exploring options…

It was like with Joe Haden… he had offers to continue playing but none were substantial enough to make him want to carry on…

Dupree is younger and probably will eventually be open to a backup role at backup wages… but there is no harm in waiting…

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My guess is he came in, took the physical, heard their offer, and is still waiting to see if a starter role is available elsewhere… he is thirty years old… a backup prove it contract is incredibly risky.. I think if tge Steelers we’re offering mid level lb money he was signing… if they were offering less than six million he was exploring options…

It was like with Joe Haden… he had offers to continue playing but none were substantial enough to make him want to carry on…

Dupree is younger and probably will eventually be open to a backup role at backup wages… but there is no harm in waiting…

I think that 6mill is the minimum and like you said, he is waiting.

I was hoping for 4.5 mil but here again that is MY number not his. We fans want big / pay small, not the real world NFL.

Salute the nation

madinsomniac

Reaction score
It all perspective in this … dupree has made like 70 million dollars in his career… he certainly doesn’t NEED the money. So what is the follar amount he wants to keep playing and putting that wear and tear on his body…
When i was a kid, id do most any chore for 50 bucks (most for 20 or 10). Even adjusted for inflation, these days I would rather pay someone a hundred bucks or more to do some things than do them myself…

Maybe Dupree sees the Steelers role as something that he can push into a greater payday down the line sooner or later… he could come back and sign if other offers aren’t forthcoming woth better pay or playing time

Reactions: MTC

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bud could end up being a starter after this year if they don't pay Highsmith the $15+ million some crazy team will pay him if he gets to FA. They need to try and lock him up for less than $12 million per this year or he is gone in free agency - especially if he has another decent year opposite Watt. Highsmith is good but he is going to make his money because of Watt.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Do you give that money to Bud...or use it to try to extend Highsmith this season?
Maybe thats the rub here?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bud could end up being a starter after this year if they don't pay Highsmith the $15+ million some crazy team will pay him if he gets to FA. They need to try and lock him up for less than $12 million per this year or he is gone in free agency - especially if he has another decent year opposite Watt. Highsmith is good but he is going to make his money because of Watt.

Just like Bud.

I think Highsmith is worth the 15+ m I’ll, I just don’t want the STEELERS to pay that.

I’m all for the earlier the better which also means we might be able to get him a little cheaper. I think you’re a little low on the 12 mil, I thin k it would take 14-ish mil to tie him up for 4 years. I know it will depend on the guaranteed money.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Just like Bud.

I think Highsmith is worth the 15+ m I’ll, I just don’t want the STEELERS to pay that.

I’m all for the earlier the better which also means we might be able to get him a little cheaper. I think you’re a little low on the 12 mil, I thin k it would take 14-ish mil to tie him up for 4 years. I know it will depend on the guaranteed money.

Salute the nation
I think you're right with the money. I just think it's too much to have tied up in just our OLB's. You're talking $40+ million cap hit right there and then add in Minkah. I am not sure what they will end up doing with Cam. I hate to see him not retire a Steeler but they can't take another $15+ million cap hit with him as well. I'd hate to be the GM trying to figure all of this out. Ideally, everyone stays but I don't think it's possible.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think you're right with the money. I just think it's too much to have tied up in just our OLB's. You're talking $40+ million cap hit right there and then add in Minkah. I am not sure what they will end up doing with Cam. I hate to see him not retire a Steeler but they can't take another $15+ million cap hit with him as well. I'd hate to be the GM trying to figure all of this out. Ideally, everyone stays but I don't think it's possible.

Fully agree TDX27, I can’t blame the athlete for wanting as much as possible. The GREED MACHIONE make an unbelievable amount of mon ey off the players so they need to capitalize as well.

I know it sucks when we have to not resign stars due to cap hits and we can’t have all the hifghest paid ones either.

I’m patient on Bud Dupree as we may end up with him at 4-5 mil pending on what the market does. Also the DRAFT can turn heads as well, making a player want to play for what he thinks is a championship team.

Salute the nation

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Steeleers need a reliable 3rd pass rusher. They can get one in the draft but that doesn't mean they will contribute immediately. Highsmith only had 2 sacks as a rookie and 6 in his 2nd year. Most players take time to develop.

They need to watch Watt's reps. You sign Dupree and now you can give Watt a breather and still have a pass rush. Also, maybe they could come up with a package with all 3 on the field. Dupree and Highsmith at OLB and Watt at ILB like the Chad Brown days.

If the Steelers do sign Dupree, I hope they are honest with him about playing time, unlike with Melvin Ingram. I think they are in a different place with Highsmith now. A few years ago, they wanted him to develop so he needed reps. Now that he has developed, the steelers may feel more comfortable with a more even split with Watt, Highsmith and Dupree.

Dupree should either sign with the steelers or wait until camp to sign with a team. If he's content to to a 1 year prove it deal so he can cash in next year, then the steelers are probably his best situation to look good without taking a beating. Or he can wait until after the draft and after camp starts for a team to come calling due to an injury or because they got a look at their new rookie and know he's not ready yet.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Steeleers need a reliable 3rd pass rusher. They can get one in the draft but that doesn't mean they will contribute immediately. Highsmith only had 2 sacks as a rookie and 6 in his 2nd year. Most players take time to develop.

They need to watch Watt's reps. You sign Dupree and now you can give Watt a breather and still have a pass rush. Also, maybe they could come up with a package with all 3 on the field. Dupree and Highsmith at OLB and Watt at ILB like the Chad Brown days.

If the Steelers do sign Dupree, I hope they are honest with him about playing time, unlike with Melvin Ingram. I think they are in a different place with Highsmith now. A few years ago, they wanted him to develop so he needed reps. Now that he has developed, the steelers may feel more comfortable with a more even split with Watt, Highsmith and Dupree.

Dupree should either sign with the steelers or wait until camp to sign with a team. If he's content to to a 1 year prove it deal so he can cash in next year, then the steelers are probably his best situation to look good without taking a beating. Or he can wait until after the draft and after camp starts for a team to come calling due to an injury or because they got a look at their new rookie and know he's not ready yet.
I would try to meet his agents demands half way. Up the offer or get one on the table. Because you really need a reliable third pass rusher. The secondary isn't elite. You want no short term drop off if Watt or Highsmith is out for some games. Yeah when they are healthy you want Bud in there rotating. The more the pass rush is fresh the more you are getting your most effective pass rush. That would help keep this team in the games they normally are blown out of.

Iron95

Contributor
Reaction score
I saw on 3 utube videos last night that we signed Bud. I guess thats not true.