• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Giants Claim Quincy Roche

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Several outlets reporting that the NFL Transaction Sheet shows the Giants claiming OLB Quincy Roche off waivers from the Steelers. So, he will not be joining the Steelers Practice Squad until (like with Tuzar Skipper), the Giants release him later in the season.
While I would have liked to have seen Roche on the PS and seen what he could develop into, the Steelers knew him not clearing waivers was a possibility.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Every damn time we have a developmental pass rusher they do this and then the guy gets ****** and never goes anywhere… the only one that was able to finally put it together after having a lot of turnover was Harrison… they just don’t value that like they should…

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Every damn time we have a developmental pass rusher they do this and then the guy gets ****** and never goes anywhere… the only one that was able to finally put it together after having a lot of turnover was Harrison… they just don’t value that like they should…
I mean he was outplayed by another developmental pass rusher this preseason in Jamir Jones. I was hoping one would make the 53 and the other would make the PS. I think they were too.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it was a mistake on their part, even the better teams make them.

Last edited:

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
And for what, by the way… was somebody going to claim brokeback Ulysses or broken Allen?
And that is what is really disappointing. IMHO, Roche is someone that was worth holding onto and although the Steelers probably wouldn't have experimented, I think he could have moved inside. He sheds and slides off blocks really well and has always had a nose for the ball.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess they thought Jamir Jones was that much better. If so, great. But, it sure would have been nice to be able to keep Roche on the team to see how he develops.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
We did pick up Christian Miller LB for the ps. Living down in Carolina the local sports beat guys were surprised he did not make the roster and were feeling like many here are feeling about Roche...letting a good developmental player slip through the cracks. I'll have to do a little look into some of his highlights and see what the buzz on him was all about.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
That's too bad. Was hoping he at least made it to the PS. Oh well.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
But guys big picture. We have a #3 QB that will likely be out if the league in 2 years so look at the bright side!

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Red herring argument. They were always going to keep 3 QBs. So keeping Haskins had no impact on Roche. As noted above, the real argument was why keep Gilbert over Roche?

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Shades of Skipper for sure…Guys bitched and moaned about Skipper…He made Pro Bowl last year right?
Difference is Skipper wasn't a pass rusher with potential. Arguably one of the most valuable positions on defense. But they brought someone in with some pass rush potential... actually a few bodies... So probably a wash.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I never understood not keeping a pass rusher with potential on the roster. Anyone who remotely flashes potential always gets picked up. Roche may never develop into anything, but I would've like to see the Steelers give him a chance.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't the steelers allegedly have a "star" player in Devin Bush at ILB? If they actually believed that then why the need to have so much depth there? They had returning depth in Spillane, Ulysses, and Allen. Then they draft Buddy Johnson and trade for Joe Shobert. This tells me that they aren't sold on Bush.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't the steelers allegedly have a "star" player in Devin Bush at ILB? If they actually believed that then why the need to have so much depth there? They had returning depth in Spillane, Ulysses, and Allen. Then they draft Buddy Johnson and trade for Joe Shobert. This tells me that they aren't sold on Bush.
Based on their showings in coverage during the preseason, they shouldn't be sold on Spillane or Gilbert either. At least Spillane brings some special teams value. Holding onto Gilbert reminds me of them holding on to Ola for a couple of years and hoping he would become more than what he was constantly showing. Again, at least Ola played special teams.
Now that he's made the 53, I expect Gilbert's back to act up again before week 3. Ensuring him a trip to long-term IR and a full season's salary. #groundhogsday

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
That star is coming off significant injury. One that often takes some time to be back to full speed. On top of that they lost Bince who had some good attributes. So I would presume stock piling depth was multifold as a result. I think Bush due to that injury is a wait and see and they are playing it the only way they can.

steelreeling

Reaction score
And for what, by the way… was somebody going to claim brokeback Ulysses or broken Allen?
Exactly. exactly. Why not keep a spot for the possibly game-breaking rookie rusher? Bad roster management.

steelreeling

Reaction score
That star is coming off significant injury. One that often takes some time to be back to full speed. On top of that they lost Bince who had some good attributes. So I would presume stock piling depth was multifold as a result. I think Bush due to that injury is a wait and see and they are playing it the only way they can.
Also it's affected his tweeting. Once he fixes his tweeting, he can get back to full speed.

****** hasn't been the same since that bullshit.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Also it's affected his tweeting. Once he fixes his tweeting, he can get back to full speed.

****** hasn't been the same since that bullshit.
Actually, he hasn't done **** since his knee got wrecked. Ain't got **** to do with his "tweets".

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I get all the Roche love; I really liked the pick myself. But he didn't look that great with the Steelers, so I can see why they parted ways with him. Gilbert, on the other hand? How he made the final roster is a mystery to me.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
There is no reality where I would keep Roche over Jamir Jones. You guys have to give props to a kid that was undrafted and just kept getting better each day. Enough so that he pushed Marsh AND Roche off of the roster.

Still the last 2 Steelers drafts, only 2 players aren't on their team. Brooks (Rams) and Roche (NYG). They are still in the league, and on the PS, so they are each just a phone call away if we have depth issues and need a call up to the roster!