• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Good article on our off season

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mueller-rooney-many-questions-answer-184504888.html

Beaver County Times

Mueller: Rooney has many questions to answer in pivotal offseason​

Chris Mueller
Sat, January 22, 2022, 11:45 AM·5 min read

At some point in the reasonably near future, Steelers owner Art Rooney II will meet with the media for his annual end-of-season address, which functions as a “State of the Steelers” address.

His franchise hasn’t faced an offseason as uncertain as this one in almost 20 years, and while I’m sure Rooney realizes that, I wonder how much it resonates with him.

It’s no secret that Rooney is not a “football man” like his father Dan was. He cuts a more business-oriented profile. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that, either. No one’s asking him to be knee-deep in personnel decisions, even though he still has final say in all matters concerning the franchise.

In case he hasn’t noticed, though, business isn’t exactly booming. The thousands of no-shows at Heinz Field this year are a good indication. Steelers fans might be hyper-loyal, but they aren’t stupid.

They see what’s happening to the team, and in the division. Does the owner? I won’t be in the room asking the questions, but here are a few I’d love to hear the answer to:

“Art, after the 2020 season, you said, ‘I think everybody in the building agrees that you can’t finish 32nd in the league in rushing and feel you’re going to have a successful season.’ This year, the team finished 29thin the league in yards per carry and averaged about 10 more yards rushing per game. How would you evaluate the moves that were made to shore up that area of the team?”

“Art, when Matt Canada was promoted to offensive coordinator after last season, you said, ‘Matt was our internal candidate that we knew very well, and Mike [Tomlin] interviewed a couple of other coaches he felt good about, felt they were good candidates, and they were. But at the end of the day he felt like Matt was the best fit for us.’ Do you still agree that Matt is the best fit for the team after watching his offense, and if so, why?”

“Art, how happy are you with Mike’s hiring practices as it pertains to his assistants, and do you feel like the team allocates enough resources toward the goal of assembling the best staff possible?”

“Art, did Mike call the defensive plays on game day this year, and if so, are you comfortable with him continuing to do so moving forward?”

“Art, are you comfortable entering next season with Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins as the top two quarterbacks on your roster? If so, what about one or both men gives you confidence?”

“Art, the team has not won a playoff game in five full seasons, the longest drought for the franchise since the AFL-NFL merger. What do you feel is the primary reason for this, and what do you plan to do to fix it?”

“Art, the Bengals won the division, and Joe Burrow is one of the league’s up-and-coming quarterbacks. All three teams in the division have won a playoff game more recently than the Steelers. What, in your opinion, must be done to stay competitive in the AFC North for the foreseeable future?”

I have more questions, but straight answers to any of those would be a nice start. Rooney’s words after last season’s humiliating flameout against the Browns struck a balance between focusing on the team’s 11-0 start and acknowledging their putrid finish.

The situation has only gotten worse since then. Cincinnati really is loaded, and by the time you read this, they may have punched their ticket to the AFC Championship Game. Burrow looks for all the world like the kind of player who could reign supreme over the division for the next decade, and erase the “Bungles” nickname from existence.

Lamar Jackson and the Ravens had an inarguably down year, complete with a rancid finish that saw them lose their final six games, but they’ve already started to make changes, as defensive coordinator Don Martindale was just fired.

The Browns are a complete mess at quarterback, having publicly committed themselves to Baker Mayfield, but still boast a young, talented roster that will at the very least be a tough out twice a year.

That leaves Rooney’s team, the Steelers, looking like the group with the most questions. The franchise that has always prided itself on consistency now appears to be consistently average, and consistently not a threat to make noise even if they reach the playoffs.

Tomlin’s coaching staff boasts no big names, no in-demand coordinators. The offense, so long defined by elite performers, now has none; Najee Harris would be, but his big numbers – 1,667 yards from scrimmage, 1,200 of them on the ground – are belied by the fact that he was just 49th in the league in yards per touch among qualified players, at 4.4.

The defense has a huge star in T.J. Watt and a venerable leader in Cam Heyward, but outside of those two and Minkah Fitzpatrick, there are more question marks than proven difference-makers.

No one fears the Steelers anymore, nor should they. The aura and mystique? Those are gone, too. The team hasn’t had a losing season under Tomlin’s watch, but they haven’t had a truly memorable one in about a decade, either.

Art Rooney II might not be a true football man, but he has to recognize all of this, and realize that now is the time for real action, that a continued adherence to the status quo will put the Steelers on a path to irrelevance.

Right?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Just my opinion but I'm thinking the thousands of no shows are the online sellers not finding buyers between the difficulty with travel and the state of the team.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
He needs to answer them but so does Tomlin… while the fans have been horrified by Steelers horrible play and behavior, even ex-vets like Joe Greene speaking out, and gutted by the horrible play off loses, Tomlin is all giddy can’t wait to find a new QB, not he or his staff accountable for anything! Ok blame the oline but what about the defense falling apart? Steeler fans have not only a right but deserve an answer to these question!

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I’d love to watch Art’s tiny brain try to wrap his head around any of those questions. He’s a zombie, a sheep, and is incapable of thinking past his agenda.

Art 💩 is our Mike Brown. A business man who has his agenda on running the team. Unfortunately, that roads leads straight to the cellar of the AFC North.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The standard is the standard

its just far below what we want/expect

We as "past" fans fully expect what we once had. The new fan is platted to this level of play and expectations. The "OLD" gaurd has been changed in that OLD gaurd is double sided, the O'l STEELERS lore and the the O'l fan base that knows what the STEELERS way actually meant.

Salute the nation

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
When the only "outside candidate" the Steelers apparently talked to regarding the DC position ranked well below the bottom half line for defense in the league, you know they aren't serious about finding somebody.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
We were supposed to be bottom dwellers in the division this year, but finished second with 2 thirds of our DL out an O-line pieced together with rookies and a couple 24 year olds and the lowest rated QB in division. How'd that happen Art? Do you think you can fix those problems for 2022 and compete for division title?

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
He needs to answer them but so does Tomlin… while the fans have been horrified by Steelers horrible play and behavior, even ex-vets like Joe Greene speaking out, and gutted by the horrible play off loses, Tomlin is all giddy can’t wait to find a new QB, not he or his staff accountable for anything! Ok blame the oline but what about the defense falling apart? Steeler fans have not only a right but deserve an answer to these question!
The blame on the Oline falls directly in FO + coach

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
If he is not a "football guy" then sell the ******* team to someone that is. Get your money then get the **** out. He is going to ruin the legacy that two Steeler owners before him created.

This is why Tomlin will never be fired, not because he is black but because Art ll doesn't seem to give a **** about winning as long as the dollars keep rolling in. I am so disgusted
with the direction of this team it's beyond words.

Stewey

Reaction score
If he is not a "football guy" then sell the ******* team to someone that is. Get your money then get the **** out. He is going to ruin the legacy that two Steeler owners before him created.

This is why Tomlin will never be fired, not because he is black but because Art ll doesn't seem to give a **** about winning as long as the dollars keep rolling in. I am so disgusted
with the direction of this team it's beyond words.
Agree, except Lovie Smith and Romeo Crennel were fired. Black coaches get no special treatment.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
What would it take to get yaz to jump on the Tomlin band wagon ?

Just curious as for some that ship has sailed and for others is has yet to sail.

Myself I'd be leaning towards the ship has sailed as he is way to far into his tenure to change drastic enough as what is required to right the ship. It couldn't be righted in a single season or 3. It would take consistancy in on field coaching / practices / discipline / coach up ability / drafting ect. and to come in prepared regardless of opponent being good or bad. Willingness to hire those that are better than you and the ability to manage them, let those branches flury on that tree.

It will not happen soon if ever and I as a fickle fan would drop him today.

Salute the nation

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
What would it take to get yaz to jump on the Tomlin band wagon ?

Just curious as for some that ship has sailed and for others is has yet to sail.

Myself I'd be leaning towards the ship has sailed as he is way to far into his tenure to change drastic enough as what is required to right the ship. It couldn't be righted in a single season or 3. It would take consistancy in on field coaching / practices / discipline / coach up ability / drafting ect. and to come in prepared regardless of opponent being good or bad. Willingness to hire those that are better than you and the ability to manage them, let those branches flury on that tree.

It will not happen soon if ever and I as a fickle fan would drop him today.

Salute the nation
I tried to support Tomlin six or seven years ago because I believe everyone should get the chance to improve themselves, but that ship has sailed. Tomlin seems perfectly content with mediocrity and that now seems to be the mantra of this team.

You can and will only be as good as those that lead you because those are the ones that are supposed to help you rise above.

If you owned any other business besides a professional sports team; going 500 would put you out of business. Braking even or even slightly above even has cost many a manager his job because in the real world that just isn't good enough.

If MT was running YOUR family business and YOUR name and livelihood were on the line based on his performance, Would he still be running your business?

Not pointing this statement at you DIC, just anyone in general.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I tried to support Tomlin six or seven years ago because I believe everyone should get the chance to improve themselves, but that ship has sailed. Tomlin seems perfectly content with mediocrity and that now seems to be the mantra of this team.

You can and will only be as good as those that lead you because those are the ones that are supposed to help you rise above.

If you owned any other business besides a professional sports team; going 500 would put you out of business. Braking even or even slightly above even has cost many a manager his job because in the real world that just isn't good enough.

If MT was running YOUR family business and YOUR name and livelihood were on the line based on his performance, Would he still be running your business?

Exactly !!!

The perfect storm in Tomlin's favor. Teams have held on to their coach's to long at times but in this gigantic sports team affair, the money is endless. In the 70s / 80s / 90s teams may have parted ways sooner do to finacial blow back. Today's money is near endless and not influenced nearly as much by the fan. TV supplies truck loads to offset the meager amount noticed from the fans.

Soon Coach Tomlin will sing his song without BEN at his side, fail or succeed will be for all to view. His contract is 2 years(i think) so there is light in the tunnel, just how bright will soon to be seen. I think if this coming year is below .500 then we will have a real shot for the next to be his last year provided he follows his usual course.

(Warriors42, point not taken)

Salute the nation

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score

Tomlin has already ruined the football side of the business.
The thing with the nfl compared to other businesses is even losing teams generate revenue with tv contracts and merchandise sales.

The Steelers logo is an established, iconic brand. That sells on image and likeness alone.
Art doesn’t seem to be invested in the football ops of things. Football sales off of the casual fan interest now. The hardcore fan is being phased out

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
It's been hard to quantify Tomlin based on Ben.

Agreed. Everyone talks about how Tomlin hasn't had a losing season in 15 seasons. Ben hasn't in 18. Seems obvious to me.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
He is Bob Nutting with a salary cap.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, but you can't compare the Steelers to the Pirates in any way other than they are both from Pittsburgh. Steelers ownership is leagues ahead of the Pirates.