• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Good film look at CB Deonte Banks

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Slash, good stuff. Like the guy said Harrison was probably the best wr in college and you're not going to dominate a receiver of his caliber, Banks more than held his own and was on an island most of the time. He may not even last to 17, wouldn't surprise me if he's gone. If the Steelers take him there I'm not going to be unhappy. They definitely need some speed in that secondary and a potential shut down corner.

troymania

Reaction score
The more I see this guy the more I like him. I'm hoping he'll last until 32. I really want one of the tackles Johnson, Skowronek, or one of the Jones boys. I want the offensive line and Pickett well-protected. I would rather have this cat at 17 than Porter Jr. I don't dislike him but he is really handsy.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
The more I see this guy the more I like him. I'm hoping he'll last until 32. I really want one of the tackles Johnson, Skowronek, or one of the Jones boys. I want the offensive line and Pickett well-protected. I would rather have this cat at 17 than Porter Jr. I don't dislike him but he is really handsy.
I could be wrong but I see Peezy Jr. just as a number 2 corner. But what he is, is the type of corner the Steelers used to leap at. Big, physical... Definitely not close to my top wants. But of course if he was drafted I would hope for the best of course of course.

If he is drafted by the Steelers we will need to get cooch say he is a bust. That he would have picked anyone but. Then we know he will go on to star...

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I see Peezy Jr. just as a number 2 corner. But what he is, is the type of corner the Steelers used to leap at. Big, physical... Definitely not close to my top wants. But of course if he was drafted I would hope for the best of course of course.

If he is drafted by the Steelers we will need to get cooch say he is a bust. That he would have picked anyone but. Then we know he will go on to star...
Coach accurately called the Bush bust… bear in mind the guy he wanted also busted but hey he was right about Bush…

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Coach accurately called the Bush bust… bear in mind the guy he wanted also busted but hey he was right about Bush…
I don't think Bush busted. I think he produced a decent season then was injured. I consider busts never was never will be's.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't think Bush busted. I think he produced a decent season then was injured. I consider busts never was never will be's.
Given how much the Steelers gave up for him, I would call him a bust. The rest of the NFL is confirming that a bit with the lack of interest. It could also be because I don't like the guy after his comments during training camp this year. I still would've cut him on the spot after making those.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
If the top 3 OT's are gone, they may want to use 17 on him and hope Anton Harrison is there at 32, then grab a LB at 49.
Although there maybe some decent, but not elite, corners still there at 80.
So many needs, and so few picks.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Given how much the Steelers gave up for him, I would call him a bust. The rest of the NFL is confirming that a bit with the lack of interest. It could also be because I don't like the guy after his comments during training camp this year. I still would've cut him on the spot after making those.
He visited the cryhawks today.😁

He did get pretty mouthy here and there.

I think he will bounce around a few more years before calling it a career.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
If the top 3 OT's are gone, they may want to use 17 on him and hope Anton Harrison is there at 32, then grab a LB at 49.
Given the guard they signed and the report about Orlando Brown, it sounds like they want some maulers on this line. If that's the case, it's once again evidence of the mismanagement of the offense, particularly signing a below average run blocking tackle to a big deal (Okorafor). Darnell Wright and Dawand Jones fit the mold at 32.

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
That line of thought is the way I feel, the cb class seems to be deeper, if one of the top three ots is there, go that way. I don't think Banks is available at 32 but there will be one who's probably a good alternative.

ianv2012

Reaction score
Given the guard they signed and the report about Orlando Brown, it sounds like they want some maulers on this line. If that's the case, it's once again evidence of the mismanagement of the offense, particularly signing a below average run blocking tackle to a big deal (Okorafor). Darnell Wright and Dawand Jones fit the mold at 32.
I don't think Chuks was a big liability or weak point last season, imo

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I didn't say he was either, just not a strong run blocker, which is still true. The signs are pointing to the Steelers wanting linemen who can move people in the ground game.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I see the Seahawks did end up signing him. To a one year contract. They obviously don't have a lot of faith in him but are willing to take a look. I guess if they use him as mostly in pass coverage he will be ok. But if I saw him on the field, I would run running plays in his direction.

Arcticmanzr

Reaction score
You are spot on Slash! There is no way anyone could have predicted that he would fall apart after his injury! He had a very good rookie season and his 2nd season was going very well until the injury. Can not put that on bad drafting.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

I could see why he would be a dark horse @17. That speed shows on the field well.

Thanks Slash. Banks is the corner that I‘d prefer in our defense. I like Witherspoon as well, but he and Gonzales will be long gone. If the OT are gone, Banks probably would be the focal point in the 1st, with Wright or Jones with pick 32. The Miss State CB is an option at 32 if an OT falls to us in the 1st. Although, word is they are high on the kid from Stanford, Kelly, or Eli Ricks in the 3rd too. Wouldn’t be surprised if there was a double dip at corner if Edmonds is resigned.

Last edited:

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Good player, looks really good when he plays off the receiver a bit.

But 17? Yikes.

skialta

Reaction score
The KiJana Carter line of thinking

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I'm sorry If Devin Bush didn't bust with the Steelers (his book isn't fully written) there is no such thing as a bust. They rebuild ACLs better than you are born with and there was nothing said in my memory about complications. The guy in Seattle he will back up is coming off same injury. That's an excuse.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Chuks and moore were both the same level of meh… inconsistent but not the utter dumpster fires people made them out to be… moore needs to improve a lot in passblocking.. chuks is just an average but very overpriced RT… either could be upgraded or at least someone who may be a long term replacement could be brought in

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Chuks and moore were both the same level of meh… inconsistent but not the utter dumpster fires people made them out to be… moore needs to improve a lot in passblocking.. chuks is just an average but very overpriced RT… either could be upgraded or at least someone who may be a long term replacement could be brought in
Chuks had a great start to the season and ended up being the Steelers lowest graded lineman, per PFF.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Chuks had a great start to the season and ended up being the Steelers lowest graded lineman, per PFF.
To be fair, PFF grades linemen like I would probably grade Ballerinas…. Not really well… if they seemed hot i’d probably give them a better grade, technique be damned … lol

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
To be fair, PFF grades linemen like I would probably grade Ballerinas…. Not really well… if they seemed hot i’d probably give them a better grade, technique be damned … lol
Lol, point taken. I was looking at it more along the lines of it's a direct comparison using the same (probably bad) grading system.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
PFF grading system, which is proprietary driven, has been ridiculed by numerous players, coaches and GMs. Most of their “evaluators” are analytics hounds and follow the propriety method. Which by the way involves what THEY believe the correct assignment was for any player on any given play from scrimmage. Something they cannot know, unless they are tapping into the coaches headsets while play is being called and are privy to the in game adjustments by the coordinators that occur frequently between plays. I know more than one coach or coordinator has commented…”how in the hell do they know what I’m thinking in regards to scheming a play adjustment based upon the personnel I send on the field? Those folks are making a living by guessing”.

The only reason PFF gets as much attention as it does is because Chris Collingsworth, who is one of the owners, was able to have the network use it during broadcasts several years ago and give it spotlight. Fortunately, the league and NFLPA is partnering with NextGen Stats now due to all the player and coach gripes.