• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Harrison to Pick Between Steelers or Titans

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...n-decide-pittsburgh-steelers-tennessee-titans

Shop
James Harrison: Steelers or Titans
Updated: March 21, 2015, 5:36 PM ET
By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- James Harrison took to social media Saturday to announce he will decide between re-signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers or joining Dick LeBeau with the Tennessee Titans.

The five-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker posted a video on Instagram that featured his two young sons, with one saying he should return to the Steelers and the other saying he should sign with the Titans.

Harrison said he will "pray" before making a decision.
James Harrison is third on the Steelers' all-time list with 69.5 career sacks, but has expressed his loyalty to new Titans assistant head coach Dick LeBeau.

"The opinions of my support team are split, but for me, my love for the man who both started, and made my career what it is, is undeniable," Harrison wrote on Instagram. "There are no words that I can find that would do justice for everything Dick LeBeau has done for me & my career and nothing can compare to that!

"I also have a great amount of love for Steelers Nation & the Steelers organization. I'm going to pray on this and let God guide me in the right direction."

Among free-agent outside linebackers, Harrison, who turns 37 in May, is the best fit for the Steelers.

LeBeau parted ways with the Steelers in January after 11 seasons as the team's defensive coordinator. He joined coach Ken Whisenhunt's staff with the Titans in February as an assistant head coach/defense.

LeBeau will run the defense, and the Titans apparently still covet Harrison after re-signing outside linebacker Derrick Morgan and also signing Brian Orakpo earlier this month.

A rejuvenated Harrison emerged as the Steelers' best pass rusher in 2014 after they talked him out of retirement following the loss of starting outside linebacker Jarvis Jones.

Harrison recorded 5.5 sacks -- third-most on the Steelers -- in 11 regular-season games despite having to play his way into shape at the age of 36.

Harrison had officially retired at Steelers headquarters two days before the team's season opener, but veterans such as Troy Polamalu, Brett Keisel and Ike Taylor persuaded the five-time Pro Bowler and 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year to return for one more season.

Harrison, who is third on the Steelers' all-time list with 69.5 career sacks, turned in one of the most remarkable plays in Super Bowl history in 2008. He feigned a blitz with the Arizona Cardinals at the Steelers 1-yard line and then dropped into coverage. Harrison picked off a slant pass and rumbled 100 yards for the touchdown with no time left in the first half.

LeBeau has called it the greatest play in Super Bowl history.

Harrison played parts of 12 seasons for the Steelers in two stints.

The Steelers released Harrison in 2013 after the two sides could not agree on a pay cut. The Bengals signed Harrison to a two-year contract but they released him after Harrison played limited snaps in Cincinnati in 2013.

Harrison later put retirement on hold after Jones went down with a dislocated wrist in a Steelers' win over the Carolina Panthers.

skialta

Reaction score
So much for an alleged secret deal with us that will allow him to skip training camp

STEELERS R GR8

Reaction score
Well this has me scared, we have just what Moats and Jones as starters and who H. Jones and Zumalt as back ups? I wasn't worried to much when we didn't do a whole lot in FA but I was expecting us to bring back Moats and Harrison and draft 2 guys for the future. Now we have a chance to lose JH and there is nothing left in FA to replace him with and it isn't like JJ and Moast have their position locked up.
We need JH and we need to draft one of Dupree, Harlod, Kikaha or Orchard in the 1st two rounds and look later in the draft for a star in the making like Smith, Reed, or Trail just to get this position back on track. JH would help a position of major need for 1 year and let these young guys learn from one of the best as well.
Damn I hope he decides on us cause I feel we need him more then he needs us, JMO.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I was shocked to see this. When i saw the headline i thought it was going to be some media bs speculation, but james made the quotes himself.
I would have bet the farm he had worked out some kinda deal with the steelers already. Good thing i dont gamble a lot. It will definitely sick going into the season with what we have currently.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Meh. Would be nice for him to come back. If he doesn't we just move forward faster than if he wasn't gone. Can our defense get any worse really? While he was our best pass rusher he still struggles after they throw the choke hold on him. Either way I wish him the best. One of my all time favorites.

awboatguy

Reaction score
Will James Harrison Return to Steelers in 2015? Steelers Nation Should Hope So
Posted on February 18, 2015 by KT Standard
One of the Steelers most interesting free agent decisions in 2015 not only involves a player who didn’t hold a spot on their 2014 opening day roster, he was officially out of football for the first 3 weeks of the season. That free agent would of course be outside linebacker James Harrison.

Capsule Profile of James Harrison with the Steelers
The Case for Keeping James Harrison in 2015
The Case Against Keeping James Harrison
Curtain’s Call on Steelers and James Harrison
james harrison, super bowl xliii, interception, record, pick six
James Harrison’s dramatic interception in Super Bowl XLIII

Capsule Profile of James Harrison with the Steelers
Is there a player who has done more than James Harrison with the Pittsburgh Steelers? Steelers Nation would be hard pressed to come up with one. Consider this, since the Steelers 2002 training camp at St Vincents James Harrison has:

Been cut 3 times from the practice squad an active roster
Body slammed a Cleveland Browns fan
Single handedly decimated the Baltimore Ravens in the Steelers 75th Anniversary Game
Won the AFC Defensive Player of the year
Authored the longest play from scrimmage in Super Bowl XLIII – on an audible
Found himself scapegoated in Ray Anderson and Roger Goodell’s new “no hard hits”policy
Called out Roger Goodell in Men’s Journal
Been suspended by Roger Goodell for an a questionable hit on Colt McCoy
Got cut by the Steelers in a pay dispute
Been rebuffed by the Steelers when he tried to go back
Played against the Steelers as a member of the Cincinnati Bengals
Retired as a Steeler
Returned to play as a Steeler just three weeks later
Yes ladies and gentlemen of Steelers Nation, James Harrison has done it all….

The Case for Keeping James Harrison in 2015
…The question is: Can Harrison still do more for the Steelers? Will James Harrison return to the Steelers in 20015?

There’s a lot of evidence to suggest that he can. When the Steelers resigned James Harrison after Jarvis Jones broke his wrist vs. Carolina, it was looked at as a “In case of emergency, break the glass” type of emergency. After all, the Steelers were literally down to two outside linebackers – Jason Worilds and Arthur Moats.

By his own admission, James Harrison was out of shape and feeling bad when he returned.
But as he worked himself back into playing condition, James Harrison showed he had plenty left in the tank. He registered two sacks vs. the Colts. And then another two vs. the Ravens in Prime Time. Vs. the Kansas City Chiefs, the Steelers defense’s best game of the season, Harrison added another 1.5 sacks.

That’s 5.5 sacks in 11 games and just four starts, for those keeping notes at home.
Before his departure in 2013, Behind the Steel Curtain reviewed a similar situation the Steelers faced in 1995 after Kevin Greene’s contract expired. Greene showed no signs of slowing, and the Steelers felt Jason Gildon was ready to play.

Greene went on to play 4 more years and record another 52 sacks with the San Francisco 49ers and Carolina Panthers.

Harrison be 37 next year, the same age Greene was in his final year of play. The James Harrison of 2008 or 2010 isn’t coming back. But if the James Harrison of 2015 in all likelihood will continue to be an impact player.

The Case Against Keeping James Harrison
The Steelers appear to be committed to retooling their defense in 2015. Dick LeBeau is gone, and Keith Butler is now calling the shots on defense. You don’t renew your defense with 37 year old veterans.

Harrison did play well in 2014, but at some point the well will run dry.
And that’s assuming Harrison wants to play. He had to be coaxed back into the game by Brett Keisel, Ike Taylor, and Troy Polamalu. The odds are at least two if not all three of those players will be gone next year. The Saints game marked the first time Harrison, Taylor, Polamalu and Keisel had played together since 2012.

The “Get the band back together” moment for the Steelers defense lasted less than a full game.

Injuries felled Keisel and Polamalu, and Taylor only had one game left, his last play saw him toasted by the Bengals. The naked truth is the Steelers defense got better after that game. Yes, Harrison played part of that improvement, but the shift on the defense was underway.

Curtain’s Call on Steelers and James Harrison
It is really hard to know what will happen with Harrison, should he indicate he wants to play.

Truthfully this is a player who still has something to give, at a position area where the Steelers only have an unproven Jarvis Jones under contract

The word is that Jason Worilds isn’t going to be back. Some of those say tea leaf readers are also saying that Harrison won’t be back because the Steelers want to go with youth for the sake of youth.

That’s fine. But James Harrison knows how to win games, and if he wants to play then Mike Tomlin, Keith Butler, and Joey Porter should find a place for him.

Pay the man . He is the best option we have for 2015-16 seaso . Plus he's a leader for the young guys.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain that Deebo is smart enough to know that the Steelers don't negotiate with players thru the media; his general reluctance to be open with the media indicates this is a departure for him. So my conclusion is that he has done this interview and made comments to demonstrate his allegiance to DL publicly. Dick deserves this repect, bordering on homage. And Harrison chose the depths of the offseason to make his point.

My read is that the **** may make and offer, and when they do, the Steelers will get a chance to counter. My bet is that they have a handshake deal with Deebo to match, and that his previous departure to the Bungles will lead him to choose the Steelers. The final "vote" will be 2-1 or 3-0, because he is gonna point to his kids, but make the real call as his own man.

No worries.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain that Deebo is smart enough to know that the Steelers don't negotiate with players thru the media; his general reluctance to be open with the media indicates this is a departure for him. So my conclusion is that he has done this interview and made comments to demonstrate his allegiance to DL publicly. Dick deserves this repect, bordering on homage. And Harrison chose the depths of the offseason to make his point.

My read is that the **** may make and offer, and when they do, the Steelers will get a chance to counter. My bet is that they have a handshake deal with Deebo to match, and that his previous departure to the Bungles will lead him to choose the Steelers. The final "vote" will be 2-1 or 3-0, because he is gonna point to his kids, but make the real call as his own man.

No worries.

If he goes to the Titan he sees mostly the bench. If he stays with the Steelers he probably our best pass rusher. How does he want his last season to go? At this point i really don't care. I don't think a 37 yr old Harrison upgrades our defense that greatly even if he would be our best pass rusher. I hope he signs with us and proves me wrong though.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope he picks the Steelers. I like seeing him train with the young guys. I think that can only help them. Seeing how a guy that wasn't going to make it in the NFL and became what he was to the Steelers should be very inspirational to them. And, seeing how he trains for another year will be huge for them to learn.

Stoney

Reaction score
If he is deciding between Tomlin and LeBeau, then we'd better see who the 'next man up' is going to be.

Thanks for everything, JH.

ark steel

Reaction score

No worries.

Seems as if continuing to work out at the Steelers home ought to give us the advantage. However, it has to be hard to not follow DL and the allegiance Harrison has to him.

thumbring

Reaction score
Guess we'll find out if God really is a Steeler fan....

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I hope he picks the Steelers. I like seeing him train with the young guys. I think that can only help them. Seeing how a guy that wasn't going to make it in the NFL and became what he was to the Steelers should be very inspirational to them. And, seeing how he trains for another year will be huge for them to learn.

Yeah. I see Woodley took that to heart also. While I do agree with you and hope it does work out how you see it. We have obviously have seen it doesn't mean it will happen.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Seems as if continuing to work out at the Steelers home ought to give us the advantage. However, it has to be hard to not follow DL and the allegiance Harrison has to him.

Didn't he leave the beloved Dick one time already?

STEELERS R GR8

Reaction score
If he goes to the Titan he sees mostly the bench. If he stays with the Steelers he probably our best pass rusher. How does he want his last season to go? At this point i really don't care. I don't think a 37 yr old Harrison upgrades our defense that greatly even if he would be our best pass rusher. I hope he signs with us and proves me wrong though.

Very good point didn't look at it that way.......He does upgrade our defense a ton cause he is so much better then both Moats and Jones not to mention it adds another guy to the mix. I am curious as to what Zumwalt has to offer us this year, I liked him coming out and think he could be a solid contributor.

ark steel

Reaction score
Didn't he leave the beloved Dick one time already?

That is true, but, IIRC, he was ready to stay I'd the Steelers had offered a similar contract. I believe the Steelers offered one with similar end results, but much more incentive laden.

Also, I didn't say impossible, I said hard to do. Anyone who doubts that is delusional.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
That is true, but, IIRC, he was ready to stay I'd the Steelers had offered a similar contract. I believe the Steelers offered one with similar end results, but much more incentive laden.

Also, I didn't say impossible, I said hard to do. Anyone who doubts that is delusional.

I'm sure it plays a role. Just as I'm sure this whole thing is just trying to squeeze more money out of the Steelers. Anyone who doesn't believe that is kidding themselves. He left one time because of money I'm guessing he could leave a second time also.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure it plays a role. Just as I'm sure this whole thing is just trying to squeeze more money out of the Steelers. Anyone who doesn't believe that is kidding themselves. He left one time because of money I'm guessing he could leave a second time also.

And the Steelers are similarly handling things in a manner they believe most beneficial to them.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Losing harrison would be a big blow. First of all he is our best pass rusher. Second he brings attitude to the D which we basically have none of now. Third he brings leadership at least through example. Keisel and harrison were two of the biggest hustlers on the team. Both of them may be gone along with troy. Who is going to being the attitude and work ethic to the D?

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Losing harrison would be a big blow. First of all he is our best pass rusher. Second he brings attitude to the D which we basically have none of now. Third he brings leadership at least through example. Keisel and harrison were two of the biggest hustlers on the team. Both of them may be gone along with troy. Who is going to being the attitude and work ethic to the D?

Maybe someone else will step up. That is how it usually happens. You have your leaders and when they slowly disappear it is up to someone else to step up. Time will tell if someone does.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
And the Steelers are similarly handling things in a manner they believe most beneficial to them.

Yep. Can't argue with or even disagree with that.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

Heyward fills a leadership void. For all it's sometimes overlooked, Vince Williams brought the "Attitude" with him when he got in the game last year. For what it's worth, Shazier was always cited as a leader at tOSU and if he can stay healthy and productive, I'd expect no less here. You have to give them a chance to grow and seize the reins.

What's missing is that leader in the secondary. In the past they had Clark and Ike as vocal leaders and Troy as a quiet type of leader who let his professionalism and play speak for itself. They will need to replace these guys leadership abilities in the secondary.

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
Let him choose between 11-5 or 2-14 ....that's a real tough one James.....lots to lose sleep over.

Ward4HOF

Reaction score
If he is deciding between Tomlin and LeBeau, then we'd better see who the 'next man up' is going to be.

Thanks for everything, JH.

Yup.. if character of a person is Harrison's deciding factor, it's not even close.