• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Haskins checking his phone and not being attentive during pregame

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
A copy and paste from the article:

Mason Rudolph has had 4 years to show who he is. Dwayne Haskins, ostensibly one play from his 1st game action yesterday, spent warm-ups throwing lousy passes & checking his phone. Ben Roethlisberger may not be who he once was, but there’s a reason he’s your QB

This, to me, doesn't seem like we're focused. Make of that of what you will.
I'd like to see the visual proof of this...something doesn't seem right about this report. Also, I thought phones weren't permitted on the field???

chipped ham

Reaction score
I don’t want to be burning first round picks on duds…
I completely agree, but having a qb you draft fail doesn’t seem to have as negative an impact as it used to prior to the rookie salary cap. You’d never be able to take a qb, top five overall, twice in three years after the first one received a ridiculously bloated contract. Now, if you see the guy doesn’t have it, it doesn’t come with the cap restraints to completely **** your franchise up. It’s never easy to miss on a pick, but you can sever the ties of a Jamarcus Russell in today’s game when he shows up to his second camp a biscuit shy of 300lbs.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I'd like to see the visual proof of this...something doesn't seem right about this report. Also, I thought phones weren't permitted on the field???
I know they aren’t permitted during the game but I can’t find anything about before the game.

I would say the signing of James Morgan should be enough to tell if the story has validity.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I know they aren’t permitted during the game but I can’t find anything about before the game.

I would say the signing of James Morgan should be enough to tell if the story has validity.
Sooooo, are we saying that James Morgan has been signed to replace Haskins because of this mobile phone activity???

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/mBMDcBe9uidYltQzWJ" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I'm saying if Dwayne Haskins brought a phone to full warm-ups he is done and should be. When Ben is eligible to return his *** is out the door. Remember this is the guy who was dumped by the WFT for allowing pics of him at a strip club after a game during covid. We aren't dealing with Einstein here.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm saying if Dwayne Haskins brought a phone to full warm-ups he is done and should be. When Ben is eligible to return his *** is out the door. Remember this is the guy who was dumped by the WFT for allowing pics of him at a strip club after a game during covid. We aren't dealing with Einstein here.
Ok...I'm glad we're fans.

The decisions here are hilarious. I've got a rusty yacht from 1974 that I'm trying to sell. Wanna buy it???

SteelerSask2

Reaction score

The decisions here are hilarious. I've got a rusty yacht from 1974 that I'm trying to sell. Wanna buy it???
The man is paid 50k a week. If he cannot focus to get the **** off his phone once full warm ups are on. Yes bye bye. Not worth the trouble. If you were ****** around in warm ups when you played high school or whatever highest level you played how would that go?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Sooooo, are we saying that James Morgan has been signed to replace Haskins because of this mobile phone activity???

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/mBMDcBe9uidYltQzWJ" width="480" height="480" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

I think the Steelers are putting the writing on the wall. The problem is Haskins is to dumb to read. He probably does something dumb in the next few weeks. Shows up late, has his gf beat his ***, go to a strip club. Then Haskins is cut and we promote someone (not Morgan) to the 53 man.

I said it in the beginning of the year. Haskins was a wasted roster spot. Should have kept Roche.

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score

Haskins is never gonna start for us for the simple fact he sucks. now before you turn this into a racial issue just stop. I do not hate black QB's nor do I think they are dumb. I ******* loved Charlie Batch, my favorite non steeler QB was warren Moon, But Haskins couldn't beat out Rudolph and Rudolph sucks. Now with that being said I hope next year Haskins gets the keys not because I think he can win but because I know he can lose and we are gonna need a top 3 pick to get my boy Bryce Young from Bama.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think the Steelers are putting the writing on the wall. The problem is Haskins is to dumb to read. He probably does something dumb in the next few weeks. Shows up late, has his gf beat his ***, go to a strip club. Then Haskins is cut and we promote someone (not Morgan) to the 53 man.

I said it in the beginning of the year. Haskins was a wasted roster spot. Should have kept Roche.
Yeah like it's not as if Haskins came to them with a great resume of putting the work in. He had several wtf moments and was the first first rounder cut before the end of his second season on ions. You gotta do a lot more then under perform for that.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

I have a rusty trombone I'm selling...

Really, fire Haskins for having his phone out at pregame? I guess JuJu is lucky to be on this team then, since he tiktoks EVERY FREAKIN PREGAME...

DRRRR

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Here’s a good breakdown of Quincy Roche. Got a nice strip sack but this shows some of his other wins. Stout vs the run. Probably could have used him when Watt went down.

madinsomniac

Reaction score

Im thinking that that could just be a precautionary signing… ben hasn’t cleared protocols yet.. he might not be available, and Rudolph and Haskins were probably exposed to ben in a meeting

Fitzpatrick judt went out with it… adding a super emergency qb is very smart at this time… nobody wants to be denvered…

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Here’s a good breakdown of Quincy Roche. Got a nice strip sack but this shows some of his other wins. Stout vs the run. Probably could have used him when Watt went down.

Great… this was the most annoying part of this roster.. we shorted ourselves at olb, then lost two of the guys we kept to other teams and cut a sixth round steal trying to sneak him onto the ps..

All so we could keep six ilbs that mostly dont see the field

Olbs>ilbs in a 3/4

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

That was a stupid move, to keep who? The other guy that they also fired quicker than a fart in hammock? They should have cut Snell and keep 5 OLBs

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Great… this was the most annoying part of this roster.. we shorted ourselves at olb, then lost two of the guys we kept to other teams and cut a sixth round steal trying to sneak him onto the ps..

All so we could keep six ilbs that mostly dont see the field

Olbs>ilbs in a 3/4
Oh how could I have forgotten about him? UG3 after a horrible preseason still made the team despite the Schobert trade.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought they dont allow phones on the field. Unless he was listening to music

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think anyone does but no matter what it's a crap shoot.

I'm kind of hoping one more merciful year with BEN and then a true 1st round pick and trade up if need.

Build the team this off season and don't waste big money.

Salute the nation
Stetson Bennett IV. The next Drew Brees

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Oh how could I have forgotten about him? UG3 after a horrible preseason still made the team despite the Schobert trade.
We kept six ilbs and four olb … Roche went straight to the giants when we cut him then we lost jamir Jones to the rams trying to move him to the ps then we traded ingram for the sixth we wasted on roche.. because reasons and stuff… now we have watt out, a taco playing and zero depth outside a guy who plays special teams… the lack of respect for olbs is absurd with Tomlin’s staff… cowher always gmhad an extra developmental olb stashed on the roster and often they turned out great… guys like carlos emmons and later james Harrison and a dozen more

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Im thinking that that could just be a precautionary signing… ben hasn’t cleared protocols yet.. he might not be available, and Rudolph and Haskins were probably exposed to ben in a meeting

Fitzpatrick judt went out with it… adding a super emergency qb is very smart at this time… nobody wants to be denvered…
Could be. But if Ben clears and Morgan is kept on the PS then my guess it has to do with Haskins and their lack of confidence in him for the remainder of the season.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmmm .... So the Steelers sign a QB to the practice squad and we're just assuming it's to replace Haskins. Never mind the fact that Josh Dobbs is sitting ahead of him on the depth chart. So, in order to surpass Haskins, he'd also have to surpass Dobbs. Methinks that the Pennsylvania hatred of anything tOSU accept Cam Heyward is driving a lot of Wish"if"full thinking.
I also think that Aditi (sp) hasn't had enough Steelers drama this year and is digging deep to throw some crumbs; knowing that there are some folks who will just lap it up.
Non-story

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
It wasn't just the phone it was Aditi saying he wasn't focused and that is how he was coming across in his throws, preparation etc. I am all for him getting a look but IF the story is accurate he is having a similar approach to what got him kicked off his former team. We just can't dismiss the story as bullshit. There was enough to report with injuries, Ben, etc but yet here it is. I won't lock it in as fact, but I won't laughingly dismiss it with it being a reasonable possibility.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I see a crop of QBs coming out that range from late first round (if we’re being generous) to second round talent and a group of OL that is fairly deep. The current top 10 picking teams not being super “QB needy” could further push the QBs back this year.

It looks like a perfect year to go OL then QB if one of top 5 is available in 2nd which seems probable from where we stand today...and then show Haskins the door. I’d honestly take Dobbs over Haskins at this point...at least Dobbs could serve a purpose.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Hmmmm .... So the Steelers sign a QB to the practice squad and we're just assuming it's to replace Haskins. Never mind the fact that Josh Dobbs is sitting ahead of him on the depth chart. So, in order to surpass Haskins, he'd also have to surpass Dobbs. Methinks that the Pennsylvania hatred of anything tOSU accept Cam Heyward is driving a lot of Wish"if"full thinking.
I also think that Aditi (sp) hasn't had enough Steelers drama this year and is digging deep to throw some crumbs; knowing that there are some folks who will just lap it up.
Non-story
But if they have Dobbs, A. Why didn’t they release Dobbs instead of that DT, B. Why do they need 5 QB’s on the roster?

I would say this all helps the validity of the story.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Haskins was #3 when we signed him, Dobbs was 4. Haskins clearly outplayed Dobbs in the preseason and Dobbs would have been cut or on the PS if he wasn't IRed.

Roche was outplayed significantly by Jones in the preseason which is why Jones was kept. I don't understand the Steelers moving on from Jones so quickly, but you guys pining over Roche are only doing so with 20/20 hindsight...