• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Haskins checking his phone and not being attentive during pregame

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Haskins was #3 when we signed him, Dobbs was 4. Haskins clearly outplayed Dobbs in the preseason and Dobbs would have been cut or on the PS if he wasn't IRed.

Roche was outplayed significantly by Jones in the preseason which is why Jones was kept. I don't understand the Steelers moving on from Jones so quickly, but you guys pining over Roche are only doing so with 20/20 hindsight...
Wrong. I stated this after they cut Roche and kept Haskins on the 53 man.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
But if they have Dobbs, A. Why didn’t they release Dobbs instead of that DT, B. Why do they need 5 QB’s on the roster?

I would say this all helps the validity of the story.
Because Ben is on the Covid list and they have more insight into whether he's going to be off the list anytime soon than we do?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Because Ben is on the Covid list and they have more insight into whether he's going to be off the list anytime soon than we do?
Ok, got it Ben is on the covid list. So why not sign Morgan last week? What has changed?

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Which Warmup? How long was he on his phone? Was he tik toking?

Non story by the **** stirrer Aditty "Tomlin won't address me by name so I'm going to pout about it" Kinkybuala...
Guess the warm fuzzies from when she did the ladies podcast are all gone now eh?

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I personally am in the camp of waiting a year to draft a QB since there doesn't seem to be somebody you'd really feel comfortable drafting for anything besides depth. I also believe that Mason (like Ben) is being at least partially crippled by a system and a poorly performing O-line that doesn't give anybody much chance to succeed.

There are SO many issues with the passing game it's hard to nail down a specific thing to focus on fixing.
- Blocking is ok, but that pocket still gets very very cozy more often than not, and only a couple seconds into the drop.
- It sure LOOKS as if about 80 to 90% of the offense is predicated on throws getting out within a couple seconds which means very short routes, flares, shallow crosses and screens. That's pretty much the entire ******* passing game.
- I don't know the nuts and bolts of receiver routes, trees etc. but it sure LOOKS as if our guys can't get open even if they're running normal against guys in a 3-legged sack race. They just ALWAYS seem to be blanketed. (I also know that on any given play guys are covered and there are usually one or two that are open and it's up to a talented QB to find the OPEN guy. Maybe Ben has just regressed so far he can't see that anymore and maybe Mason just never had it, but geez. Can SOMEBODY get open?

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Wrong. I stated this after they cut Roche and kept Haskins on the 53 man.

So you're cutting the 3rd QB for a 5th LB? That ain't happening. Steelers always keep 3, especially with an aging Roethlisberger.

Want a better argument? Keep 5OLB and 5ILB not 4OLB 6ILB.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, got it Ben is on the covid list. So why not sign Morgan last week? What has changed?
Ben didn't hit the Covid list til Friday or Saturday, correct? So, what good would signing Morgan then have done? C'mon man, you knew that when you asked the question.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
So you're cutting the 3rd QB for a 5th LB? That ain't happening. Steelers always keep 3, especially with an aging Roethlisberger.

Want a better argument? Keep 5OLB and 5ILB not 4OLB 6ILB.
I didn’t think Roche would clear waivers. I thought Haskins would and could be stashed on the PS. If not I was willing to ride with Dobbs as #3 on the PS.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Ben didn't hit the Covid list til Friday or Saturday, correct? So, what good would signing Morgan then have done? C'mon man, you knew that when you asked the question.
So Morgan can clear covid protocols sooner.

Frosty

Reaction score
Tomlin wasn't asked about this during his presser today.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn’t think Roche would clear waivers. I thought Haskins would and could be stashed on the PS. If not I was willing to ride with Dobbs as #3 on the PS.
I understand that reasoning, but Dobbs was only rostered to be IRed and had no shot of being a PS QB this year.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Last week? We found out Ben was positive on Saturday.

The evening and the morning were the first day - soooo, if Sunday is the first day of the week - how could Morgan be signed last week???

😂

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I understand that reasoning, but Dobbs was only rostered to be IRed and had no shot of being a PS QB this year.
I think Dobbs was IRed because they wanted to keep him around until 2022 for competition. I don’t quite believe the validity of his injury and they didn’t want him to be poached off the PS. I get they are trying to cheaply retool the QB position by having 3-4 young guys fight it out. Their strategy might work for 2022. But for 2021 they screwed the pooched and could really use Roche

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Last week? We found out Ben was positive on Saturday.

The evening and the morning were the first day - soooo, if Sunday is the first day of the week - how could Morgan be signed last week???

😂
Ok, then why sign Morgan this week?

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Color me confused.

Why would we sign a backup QB w/ COVID???
You have to clear covid protocols in order to be signed to the 53 man roster. I believe you need 3 consecutive days of negative covid19 tests. So sign him Saturday and he’s practicing Tuesday or Wednesday.

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
A copy and paste from the article:

Mason Rudolph has had 4 years to show who he is. Dwayne Haskins, ostensibly one play from his 1st game action yesterday, spent warm-ups throwing lousy passes & checking his phone. Ben Roethlisberger may not be who he once was, but there’s a reason he’s your QB

This, to me, doesn't seem like we're focused. Make of that of what you will.

I'd like to see the visual proof of this...something doesn't seem right about this report. Also, I thought phones weren't permitted on the field???

I was really, really hoping Haskins would be an asset to us. If it turns out this phone thing was made up, I hope he still can be. However, I remember the pregame show talking about him last year and I was especially struck by what Strahan said.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If Morgan has COVID, then like I said, I don't buy this whole thing. Maybe they actually are going to cut Haskins. We'll have to wait and see when Ben and Morgan are off the COVID list.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
You have to clear covid protocols in order to be signed to the 53 man roster. I believe you need 3 consecutive days of negative covid19 tests. So sign him Saturday and he’s practicing Tuesday or Wednesday.
So, Tomlin (since he makes all the roster decisions according to some), should have taken time during the day before a game, while busy with meetings, etc. to sign a PS QB without actually taking the time to look at notes, scouting reports etc. on the QBs that were available.
Seems legit.

SteveA

Reaction score
It is SOOOOOOOOO embarrassing & I listened in utter disbelief when a female reporter said yesterday "The Steelers have no succession plan to Ben Roethlisberger"...

Hearing this chick say that made me cringe...But.....The ***** is right

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
It is SOOOOOOOOO embarrassing & I listened in utter disbelief when a female reporter said yesterday "The Steelers have no succession plan to Ben Roethlisberger"...

Hearing this chick say that made me cringe...But.....The ***** is right
I'm just glad I'm retired and don't have to listen to the Stains and Bungles fans at work anymore - they were the worst. The Rats fans weren't as bad.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
If Morgan has COVID, then like I said, I don't buy this whole thing. Maybe they actually are going to cut Haskins. We'll have to wait and see when Ben and Morgan are off the COVID list.
Quote from today's presser - I'm calling BS...

“He’ll provide us a good look on service teams and allow the other two guys [Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins] to focus exclusively on game prep.”

FordFairLane

Reaction score
So, Tomlin (since he makes all the roster decisions according to some), should have taken time during the day before a game, while busy with meetings, etc. to sign a PS QB without actually taking the time to look at notes, scouting reports etc. on the QBs that were available.
Seems legit.
I didn’t say Tomlin.