• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Haskins checking his phone and not being attentive during pregame

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Hard to judge Haskins w/o seeing him play in a real game here. He looked good in preseason for a bit then fell way off. He had a few moments in Wash, but was inconsistent at best. I would give him a shot if Ben cant go, but he would be on a very short leash. We know what we will get out of Rudolph, Haskins is still a bit of a ? He probably will stink, but we wont know till we try.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Hard to judge Haskins w/o seeing him play in a real game here. He looked good in preseason for a bit then fell way off. He had a few moments in Wash, but was inconsistent at best. I would give him a shot if Ben cant go, but he would be on a very short leash. We know what we will get out of Rudolph, Haskins is still a bit of a ? He probably will stink, but we wont know till we try.
Only teams out of it go for the unknown. No way he gets the start. If Ben's a no go it's Mason. If he sucked they would have given Haskins a look at halftime before this. Now I'm not so sure.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Haskins imo is a dud plain and simple. You add his never ending immaturity to his seemingly not that great attitude, stir in some very bad QB play in Wash. you got a dud.
Teams just don’t cut loose supposed franchise QBs dafter one year previous as high as he was for no reason. They knew they screwed up big time to just cut him loose.
I hope and do think he’s gone before next season.
Everybody knows Haskins would be fantastic if they'd play him but the coach is a racist and won't play him because he's black. -- Half the Steelers FB group.

I gotta quit going there. I lose 10 IQ points every time I do. It's like a train wreck though, you can't look away.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Would it be weird if our glorious special teams coach could teach these guys who cant play special teams to…. Um play special teams? I feel like its not a huge complicated thing and most players can do it…
This is why we get so many duds on the third day of the draft rather than take a chance on falling talent. I will forever come back to Trey Smith this year. He had 1st-2nd round talent and fell because of health issues. During the offseason the team reportedly had questions about Dotson and DeCastro was entering the final year of his deal. Guard was a need and they passed on his potential multiple times.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Everybody knows Haskins would be fantastic if they'd play him but the coach is a racist and won't play him because he's black. -- Half the Steelers FB group.

I gotta quit going there. I lose 10 IQ points every time I do. It's like a train wreck though, you can't look away.
My answer to that would be a white guy should have been defensive player of the year last two years and this year too and he will be 0 for come February. Is that racism?

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I never said Haskins was the answer. I do, however, believe some folks here don't actually want to see him succeed (slim as that possibility is) even if it means helping the team. Only reason I could think that would be would be because of anti-tOSU bias.
Also think Aditi was simply tweeting to try to stir up a pot. And then, as Sask noted, bailed when she had a chance to ask about it during the presser. Funny thing is, she seems to be the only one who either saw what she tweeted about, or thought it was something worth trying to make a big deal about. If Haskins fails, let him fail on his merits, not some bullshit agenda pushed by a **** stirring media twit.
I for one, don't care what school the kid went to. I have no qualms w/ Ohio St. or even Auburn for that matter - I just won't root for them if they're playing Alabama.

Back to the topic.

I want to see this kid get a fair chance at running the first team offense in a real game.

To be fair---Rudy had his moments to shine last week; but he also showed us that he's 'just an average QB' after 4 years of being a backup...

Shame on you, Aditi for putting this story on the ether.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I for one, don't care what school the kid went to. I have no qualms w/ Ohio St. or even Auburn for that matter - I just won't root for them if they're playing Alabama.

Back to the topic.

I want to see this kid get a fair chance at running the first team offense in a real game.

To be fair---Rudy had his moments to shine last week; but he also showed us that he's 'just an average QB' after 4 years of being a backup...

Shame on you, Aditi for putting this story on the ether.
You have to earn a chance. It shouldn’t be handed to him. Believe it or not life for most doesn’t get handed to you. You have to show and prove you deserve it. Say what you want about Rudolph but try to find dirt on him. He works hard and is a good teammate. Report after report on Haskins is his lack of maturity and commitment.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
You have to earn a chance. It shouldn’t be handed to him. Believe it or not life for most doesn’t get handed to you. You have to show and prove you deserve it. Say what you want about Rudolph but try to find dirt on him. He works hard and is a good teammate. Report after report on Haskins is his lack of maturity and commitment.
I'm not saying to 'literally' give Haskins a chance. I'm asserting that he needs to be 'given his chance' (during pre-season) to run with the 1's against the 1's in a significant game. Putting him in w/ a smathering (yeah I made that up) of the 1's in game 3 of preseason is a joke. The collective group of starters are not playing in that game in case of injury before the season...

Aditi's report, which is the most current, is crap.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I'm not saying to 'literally' give Haskins a chance. I'm asserting that he needs to be 'given his chance' (during pre-season) to run with the 1's against the 1's in a significant game. Putting him in w/ a smathering (yeah I made that up) of the 1's in game 3 of preseason is a joke. The collective group of starters are not playing in that game in case of injury before the season...

Aditi's report, which is the most current, is crap.
He had his chance in preseason to run with the first string vs a first string. He was god awful. The offense looked horrible, he couldn’t complete a pass past the line of scrimmage, the team was always playing from behind.

I’m fine with bringing him back for the minimum tender next year. But if he doesn’t show significant improvement I wouldn’t hesitate to cut him either. Rudolph, vet FA, Haskins, and draft pick with a ton of drive and motivation. Let everyone fight it out. And I tell them there’s 2 spots on the 53 and 1 on the PS. The last man is out.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
He had his chance in preseason to run with the first string vs a first string. He was god awful. The offense looked horrible, he couldn’t complete a pass past the line of scrimmage, the team was always playing from behind.

I’m fine with bringing him back for the minimum tender next year. But if he doesn’t show significant improvement I wouldn’t hesitate to cut him either. Rudolph, vet FA, Haskins, and draft pick with a ton of drive and motivation. Let everyone fight it out. And I tell them there’s 2 spots on the 53 and 1 on the PS. The last man is out.
When??? Haskins ran w/ a handful of 1s in game 3. That's it.

C'mon man...

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I know. Being sarcastic
But Stetson is Drew 2.0 just with a weaker arm, less anticipation skills, less ability to read the field, less accuracy, etc

He’s a good college story, but hardly an elite NFL talent

Go Dawgs!!!

Reactions: MTC

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
My opinion for what it's worth is that the remaining schedule is gonna be tough. I hope Ben doesn't get hurt but that's not out of the realm of possibility. If he does get hurt, put Haskins in there with the 1's. See what the kid can deliver and go from there.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
So they have these things called practices. At these gatherings they largely evaluate the players every single day. They don't put Haskins with the ones for ***** and gigs. They decided he was three with all of the practices. Games don't make miracles. They pretty much know what these guys can and cannot do.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
My answer to that would be a white guy should have been defensive player of the year last two years and this year too and he will be 0 for come February. Is that racism?
No....it is not racist, but you implying that it might or could is.

/woke crowd

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
My opinion for what it's worth is that the remaining schedule is gonna be tough. I hope Ben doesn't get hurt but that's not out of the realm of possibility. If he does get hurt, put Haskins in there with the 1's. See what the kid can deliver and go from there.
If you are in the play off hunt why would you do that? You go with #2 guy.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
When??? Haskins ran w/ a handful of 1s in game 3. That's it.

C'mon man...
So. Rudy played with backups vs the Browns started last December and did a good job. Haskins stunk it up with some starters vs the Panthers backups. He’s shown nothing to earn a start.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Go to the light RON, go to the light.................................................. STEELERNATION>COM will take care of nearly all your needs.!!!!!

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

In practice I'm sure they simulate game conditions all the time. I'm also pretty sure they have put Haskins in against our #1 "D" players and have seen what he can do. I'm also pretty sure the coaching staff has determined Haskins as the #3 QB for a reason.

Until the STEELERS are out of PO contention there won't be any "just to see if" players put into the line up. The players in the line up will be the ones our Coaching staff feel they best have a chance to win with. Currently (Ben is out) they feel Rudolph is that player and until Haskins can upseat him (doubtful this season) it will remain that way.

jiminoh, I can see your scenerio playing out but not under regular season conditions. OTAs / TC / Pre-season.

Salute the nation

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
But Stetson is Drew 2.0 just with a weaker arm, less anticipation skills, less ability to read the field, less accuracy, etc

He’s a good college story, but hardly an elite NFL talent

Go Dawgs!!!
As a Dawg alum. I’m happy for the kid

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
In practice I'm sure they simulate game conditions all the time. I'm also pretty sure they have put Haskins in against our #1 "D" players and have seen what he can do. I'm also pretty sure the coaching staff has determined Haskins as the #3 QB for a reason.

Until the STEELERS are out of PO contention there won't be any "just to see if" players put into the line up. The players in the line up will be the ones our Coaching staff feel they best have a chance to win with. Currently (Ben is out) they feel Rudolph is that player and until Haskins can upseat him (doubtful this season) it will remain that way.

jiminoh, I can see your scenerio playing out but not under regular season conditions. OTAs / TC / Pre-season.

Salute the nation
Ahhh, but here's the rub. None of us know for a certainty what that reason is. Could be he stinks. Could be they feel more comfortable with Rudolph as the #2 THIS year. Could be they view Haskins as a reclamation project and don't want to throw him in the fire unless absolutely necessary. Could be the QB coach hates his guts. Maybe Tomlin doesn't like his choice in clothes. We don't know.

A couple of articles on the Depot where Highsmith and Washington dispute that he hasn't been working or mature.

Again, it could just be Aditi (sp) trying to stir up **** because 1) Tomlin never calls on her and/or 2) that's part of what the media does now. If there is no news, go out and make something up or blow something out of proportion. Kind of funny/strange, not "funny, ha ha", that Aditi was/is the only one who made a big deal out of it.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ahhh, but here's the rub. None of us know for a certainty what that reason is. Could be he stinks. Could be they feel more comfortable with Rudolph as the #2 THIS year. Could be they view Haskins as a reclamation project and don't want to throw him in the fire unless absolutely necessary. Could be the QB coach hates his guts. Maybe Tomlin doesn't like his choice in clothes. We don't know.

A couple of articles on the Depot where Highsmith and Washington dispute that he hasn't been working or mature.

Again, it could just be Aditi (sp) trying to stir up **** because 1) Tomlin never calls on her and/or 2) that's part of what the media does now. If there is no news, go out and make something up or blow something out of proportion. Kind of funny/strange, not "funny, ha ha", that Aditi was/is the only one who made a big deal out of it.

I totally hear what you are saying but then NONE of us get the day to day visual that the coaching staff gets. I can only speculate / assume on an honest assessment from the coaches to put best players first.

You're right, sometimes their assessment is different than ours, sometimes they are right and we are wrong + visa versa. Most of the time it's straight forward to coaches being right.

AS for ADITI, I can't say either way. Her past integrity has been pretty good but I do hear yaz on how news can be created. I hope she hasn't turned to that sort of reporting because I have always felt her character to be upstanding. Time will tell.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Meh Haskins was always going to be a longshot… im not that worried about the third qb this season… I doubt we cut him at this point…

Agreed, Haskins isn't going to get cut and whoever the QB is that is signed to the PS will remain just that, a PS QB only to be called up due to injury.

Would be a hell of a surprise per-sey if PS QB did get a shot and then went on to SB 5 time chapion with out any cheating involved.

Salute the nation