• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

He wasn't so lucky, or was he?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The Cowboys cut Lucky Whitehead for shoplifting.

Lucky Whitehead sat across from Coach Garrett and said "Coach you gotta believe me, I did not do this." Coach said, "I do not believe you."

One would think Whitehead the 7th WR on the depth chart would be finished. It turns out one team decided to give him a chance.

Congratulations to the New York Jets. Ironic, Whitehead might make this team.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
great thread

I wasn't so lucky opening it up........................

I don't think luck had anything to do with it. I think it's your passion of football that created the stigma of opening it. Because of your drive for football information you couldn't resist knowing possible outcome prior to the opening. This appendature exists in multiple settings, similar to the dog with the electronic fence. Even though the dog knows he is going to get shocked, the dog will run and jump over the barrier, Zappped, then freedom. So slashsteel, you should "tazar" yourself prior to opening such threads. That will make this whole ordeal much more enlightening for you and if you video it and post it, it will be MUCH more enlightening for us who have the craving for football knowledge and open said threads. Thank you in advance for you participation.

Salute the nation

Steelerfreak

Reaction score
I'm no lawyer, but I would think this would fit perfectly in a "wrongful termination" suit against blue star Inc.

I hope the kid sticks with the Jets, but I think he should be able to get a years salary from jerry as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Tim Steelersfan

Flog's Daddy
Contributor
Reaction score
The Cowboys Might've Really Screwed Up This Lucky Whitehead Business

zcxqrhhjz1oyd9lnaugm.jpg

The NFLPA is gathering information on the truly bizarre Lucky Whitehead situation, with an eye on a potential grievance against the Cowboys for cutting the wide receiver following a shoplifting arrest and failure to appear in court—both of which, it quickly turned out, were bullshit. Whitehead wasn’t even there; whoever the cops arrested gave them Whitehead’s identifying information. But Whitehead’s still cut. It is a truly weird situation all around.

After the (erroneous) news of the warrant out on Whitehead broke, but before he was officially waived, head coach Jason Garrett had sure made it sound like this was it for Whitehead, saying that “depending on what the situation is, we’re going to respond accordingly and do what’s in the best interest of the Dallas Cowboys.”

Jason Garrett sure is hung up on the best interest of the Cowboys.

Here’s just a part of the transcript:

On whether he regrets Whitehead’s being cut and whether he will address the team about the move:

Garrett: Yesterday we made a decision that was deemed to be in the best interest of the Dallas Cowboys. We’re standing by that decision. We’re going to move on.

On whether the decision to cut Whitehead was based on the idea of the arrest:

Garrett: Yesterday we made a decision we felt was the best interest of the Dallas Cowboys. We’re going to stand by that decision. We’re going to move on.

On whether it is fair to Whitehead to say the same thing over and over:

Garrett: It’s the truth. We made a decision we felt was in the best interest of the Dallas Cowboys.

On whether there are some people working for the Dallas Cowboys who are just too stupid to work for this team:

Garrett: I’ll stand by the statement that I made. We made a decision yesterday that we felt was in the best interest of the Dallas Cowboys. We’re going to stand by that decision. We’re going to move forward.

On sending the wrong message by rushing to judgment:

Garrett: Yesterday we made a decision that we felt that was in the best interest of the Dallas Cowboys.

In all, a clearly defensive Garrett repeated the phrase “in the best interest of the Dallas Cowboys” 10 times in three minutes.

Owner Jerry Jones later added his own slightly odd version of the sentiment, in a brief interview that was described as “emotional”:

“When we do make a decision around here that’s in the best interest of the team to move on, there’s one thing you can forget about and that is whether you’re being fair or whether you’ve given it consideration of what it means to the individual,” Jones said. “That doesn’t happen around here.”

There’s a very specific reason teams robotically use this sort of language when talking about cuts. Players under contract can be and are terminated for all sorts of reasons, from poor play to injury to off-the-field behavior. (It’s not currently clear which one was used to cut Whitehead.) But the statement—“in the best interest of the team”—neatly covers all of them, without coloring any future grievances those players may file.

Players can be terminated if they “have engaged in personal conduct which, in the reasonable judgment of the Club, adversely affects or reflects on the club.” If that was the reason for Whitehead’s termination, he might have a case. All he’s done this offseason is have his dog kidnapped and his identity stolen by a shoplifter.

But here’s another complication: Whitehead sucks. He caught as many balls last season (three) as he fumbled. If the Cowboys had waived Whitehead for not being a good football player, no one would have batted an eye. But they didn’t. They kept him and his contract right up until the opening day of training camp, meaning they clearly wanted him around—if even as a warm camp body with no hope of making the 53-man roster—right up until Monday’s false accusation. That’s when they cut him.

LeXX75

Contributor
Reaction score
The Cowboys cut Lucky Whitehead for shoplifting.

One would think Whitehead the 7th WR on the depth chart would be finished. It turns out one team decided to give him a chance.

Congratulations to the New York Jets. Ironic, Whitehead might make this team.

He will make the awful Jets...they have no one to return kicks at the very least he is their kick returner

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
Since when are the cowboys concerned with moral character? Seems like they were looking for any reason to cut him.
Never heard of the guy, does he have a history of misconduct?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
WTF..............Morals in the NFL,...........Yet alone the cryboys.!!!!! Hey Zeik yaz got something to say????

Salute the nation

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Way to take the high ground on this one Cowboys!

Said no one ever...

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score