• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Hearing for Ex-Raiders HC Jon Gruden's Lawsuit vs. Roger Goodell, NFL Set for May 25

Ballz Deep

Has teeny tiny little ballz
Reaction score
A hearing that will determine whether Jon Gruden's lawsuit against the NFL and commissioner Roger Goodell will be heard at trial is set for May 25, according to ESPN's Paul Gutierrez.

Judge Nancy Allf of the Eighth Judicial District Court in Clark County, Nevada, will hear arguments from both sides, Gutierrez added.

The lawsuit is in relation to Gruden resigning as head coach of the Las Vegas Raiders in October 2021. He left the franchise after emails in which he used racist, anti-gay and misogynistic language before his hiring were leaked.

Around 650,000 emails were reviewed as part of the NFL's investigation into alleged misconduct by the Washington Commanders. At the time, Gruden's lawyer, Adam Hosmer-Henner, said "there is no explanation or justification" as to why only his client's emails to Washington team president Bruce Allen were leaked.

It's unclear who leaked the emails. However, Gruden alleges that Goodell leaked them to "harm" his reputation and use them as a way for the Raiders to force him out of Las Vegas.

In January, the NFL filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit, according to NFL.com (h/t Gutierrez). In a statement, the league called it "baseless" and "an attempt by Jon Gruden to blame the NFL and its commissioner for the fallout from the publication" of his emails.

The league also said Gruden "has no one to blame but himself" and that the lawsuit should be completely dismissed.

Gruden joined the Raiders on a reported 10-year, $100 million deal ahead of the 2018 season to replace Jack Del Rio. It was his first head coaching job since the Tampa Bay Buccaneers fired him after the 2008 season.

The 58-year-old went 60-57 combined in his two stints as the head coach of the Silver and Black and never led the team to a winning season. His best finish came during the 2020 campaign when the Raiders finished 8-8.

At the time Gruden resigned, he was still owed around $40 million guaranteed on his contract. Raiders owner Mark Davis said in late October that the team had reached a settlement with Gruden, but it's unclear for how much.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Discovery, Gruden can go through every single email and they can be made public domain. The NFL will fold. They'll give him what he wants if this is allowed to go to trial.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say there will be a settlement of some kind. I'd say it will be crapernick size (70mil) and suddenly you will hear nothing of this.

EDIT: What is happening with the Washington law suit...................... crickets

Salute the nation

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly want the NFL to crash and burn over this. Then it can rebuild as an organization that has integrity, if it wants to.

Pretty sure the current leadership doesn't want to.

Last edited:

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Aren’t the emails the property of the NFL? Never put something in an email you wouldn’t say publicly.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Discovery, Gruden can go through every single email and they can be made public domain. The NFL will fold. They'll give him what he wants if this is allowed to go to trial.
The emails were obtained related to WSH’s Snyder investigation. So Discovery would be related to only emails pertaining to WSH.
Turnabout is fair play… every goodell email should be made public now too
No doubt every email from the Commish’s office related to the WSH investigation will be on discovery. Legal 101.
I'd say there will be a settlement of some kind. I'd say it will be crapernick size (70mil) and suddenly you will hear nothing of this.

EDIT: What is happening with the Washington law suit...................... crickets

Salute the nation
Oh the lawsuit has already done it’s duty Drink. Snyder will be forced to sell, there were (unconfirmed) votes regarding ousting Snyder as a league owner during the owners meetings, last month. They need 24 of 32 owners to make it happen. Snyder lost what ever pals he had after the release of Snyder keeping two books for the franchise and it showing revenue being kept from the NFL shared revenue pot. He will be forced to sell like how Mr Richardson was forced to sell.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The emails were obtained related to WSH’s Snyder investigation. So Discovery would be related to only emails pertaining to WSH.

No doubt every email from the Commish’s office related to the WSH investigation will be on discovery. Legal 101.

Oh the lawsuit has already done it’s duty Drink. Snyder will be forced to sell, there were (unconfirmed) votes regarding ousting Snyder as a league owner during the owners meetings, last month. They need 24 of 32 owners to make it happen. Snyder lost what ever pals he had after the release of Snyder keeping two books for the franchise and it showing revenue being kept from the NFL shared revenue pot. He will be forced to sell like how Mr Richardson was forced to sell.

If Snyder truly is compelled to sell it tells us a lot about the League / owner mentality.

1) Mess with our money and you will pay

2) Kraft can openly & blatantly cheat cheat cheat with no worries.

3) Kraft rub - n - tug clearly broke the shield values but evidently he paid with his own "un-trafficed" money...................

At times us fans see no logic or fairness in the make up of the NFL, from top to bottom it's the most ****** up business policy witnessed by mankind.

Salute the nation

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
Go woke go broke! The nfl is the poster child for pedaling woke bs to a monopolize captive audience all the while a nfl back room meeting is like a clan meeting. the fans black and white want football back, just football, without all the woke political Horseshit!

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
The only way Gruden wins is if he can find other emails with similar language that were not released by Roger Dodger. Thats the only way he can prove he was maliciously targeted.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
What exactly was the crux of the initial investigation. Why would gruden be tied to washington and dan snyder?
He’s not connected. They just found those emails when surfing Snyder’s emails, apparently he was copied on some of them.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Go woke go broke! The nfl is the poster child for pedaling woke bs to a monopolize captive audience all the while a nfl back room meeting is like a clan meeting. the fans black and white want football back, just football, without all the woke political Horseshit!
That’s the way society is it seems. I agree just keep it football

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I have heard that there are lawyers, etc., advising Disney, Google, etc., to stay out of the Roe v. Wade issues going on now.

I guess that someone learned a lesson.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I have heard that there are lawyers, etc., advising Disney, Google, etc., to stay out of the Roe v. Wade issues going on now.

I guess that someone learned a lesson.
Assuming Roe v. Wade is overturned then the decision to legalize abortion is up to each state. A smart state politician in either party would make it a referendum on the ballot.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming Roe v. Wade is overturned then the decision to legalize abortion is up to each state. A smart state politician in either party would make it a referendum on the ballot.
Yes, but I was referring to the impact public opinion is having on business' political leanings hurting their market share

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Gruden won today. It's proceeding to trial. Interesting that later that day it comes out that the raiders will give kaepernick a workout. Are they doing a service to keep Goodell in their corner?

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
When you say WSH youre meaning Washington ?

What exactly was the crux of the initial investigation. Why would gruden be tied to washington and dan snyder?
He’s not connected. They just found those emails when surfing Snyder’s emails, apparently he was copied on some of them.

The investigation is in relation to Snyder’s documented transgression against his employees (started with the cheerleaders being used as party showings for Snyder’s corporate execs. Some which included having pics performed while nude. Basically, the NFL instigated an FBI type raid on Snyder’s dealings with the league as a owner. While investigating the cheerleader complaints, they started finding other items, including the racial/sexist sensitive emails going on from the FO of WSH. Gruden‘s was singled out for a reason we don’t know, but there are other emails from other folks with dealings in league or franchise matters. This is what Gruden’s lawsuit challenges. Finally, most importantly, the raid was able to clue in on Snyder‘s book keeping methods which identified he was keeping two types. One for the League and one for Internal referenc (they don’t match figures)

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly want the NFL to crash and burn over this. Then it can rebuild as an organization that has integrity, if it wants to.

If it doesn't crash and burn over that issue, Goodell will find something else to destroy it...no worries.

NFL Dedicates Home Page to George Floyd Today​

Sports have a role in times of tragedy. To most, sports talk and highlights are meaningless on a day following a school shooting in Texas. But to others, sports are their only escape, a distraction from the greater sorrows.

Unfortunately, the NFL chose not to provide an escape on Wednesday. Instead, NFL.com has dedicated its homepage to — wait for it — George Floyd, who died two years ago today.

The anniversary of Floyd’s death, not football or a massacre not even a day old, is the NFL’s focus right now.

1653651487307.jpeg

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

I like your IDEA Djfan but have my doubts on the rebuild unless Godell is removed. The owners have backed him this far so unless they are reabilitated (think shawshank) nothing will change much. The woke / race-ism (both ways) will be a big factor, Hand Job BOB will still be in business and owners such as Snyder behind the scenes. Can these guys egos learn a new dynamic now that they have tasted the huge money power Godell helped realize for them ?

It would take a near ground zero explosion to get the change needed and the bomb would have to be big enough to cause multiple owner change.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Gruden won today. It's proceeding to trial. Interesting that later that day it comes out that the raiders will give kaepernick a workout. Are they doing a service to keep Goodell in their corner?

You could be right you know. The corralation seems inline but craperknick will be a wasted roster spot in that his schtick is old and his baggage is big. Who wants that kind of distraction coupled with what his less than stellar ability has eroded to.

I guess the try out will determine his relevance but the real relevance will be he makes the team and Godell smiles.

Salute the nation

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I like your IDEA Djfan but have my doubts on the rebuild unless Godell is removed. The owners have backed him this far so unless they are reabilitated (think shawshank) nothing will change much. The woke / race-ism (both ways) will be a big factor, Hand Job BOB will still be in business and owners such as Snyder behind the scenes. Can these guys egos learn a new dynamic now that they have tasted the huge money power Godell helped realize for them ?

It would take a near ground zero explosion to get the change needed and the bomb would have to be big enough to cause multiple owner change.

Salute the nation
You may be correct. I just want things to be very different. I miss my nfl.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You may be correct. I just want things to be very different. I miss my nfl.

You and I both brother.

I honestly don't think the good O'l days of football will ever return. It has traveled to far down the GREED MACHINE road to come back full circle.

I watch old games on youtube while I treadmill workout. I think that is about the closest I will get to them good days.

Salute the nation