• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How Do You Grade HC Tomlin’s Performance in 2022

steelhurt

Reaction score
Not a Mike Tomlin bash thread. We have more than enough of those around here but an objective and fair observation by you, Steelernation on the overall performance of our HC this year.
I gave this some thought and although as you all must know by now, I’ve been in the move on from Tomlin group but I did want to be objective and fair with him.
I gave him an overall grade of B- based on the following.
Yes, he kept the 53 together and didn’t allow them to quit and rallied them to a strong finish and for that I was impressed and it carried a lot of weight with my grade.
I can’t dismiss the slow start of 2-7 since you have to also credit Tomlin with that as well. The good and bad is only fair way to evaluate him.
I did not like the way he handled Kenny by inserting him into the second half of the Jets game cold with any first team reps and feel like he knee jerked with that decision. Probably would have been better to start Kenny after the bye week when you could have had him take first team reps for 10 days.
I give him credit for sticking with the same five OL and letting them gel which they got better than I thought they would. Still think we need to upgrade LT and LG but it was better than I thought it would be.
I gave him credit for finally going to a two platoon RB system with Najee and Jaylen although Najee got most of the snaps I can’t help think they adding Warren to the mix, helped Najee get breathers and it showed in his second half production.
I did not give him credit for his lack of playbook utilization and felt like they should have opened it up more as Kenny became more comfortable. Failed to use the middle of the field, didn’t use Muuuth and Big George as much as I would have liked.
Should have gotten Little Heyward more involved too.
Gave him credit for finally using both RBs out of the backfield on passes more but that was too late in the season.
Still crappy at challenges, Missed two Sunday that could have cost us but didn’t. Najee’s TD that wasn’t called or challenged but he crossed the plain should have been challenged. Also a sideline catch by I think it was Big George that was caught and controlled but he didn’t challenge.
I give him credit for keeping this defense on point and also for realizing that Bush sucks and playing the rookie Mark Robinson.
I do not give him good marks for keeping bubbles as his ST Coach year after year. The STs continue to make the same mistakes year in and out. Time for him to take his bazooka gum and move on.
Finally, even though he kept the team together I can’t get past the fact that they only beat one team with a winning record in that 7-2 stretch and that was the Ravens with a backup. I know, they only play the teams on their schedule but when they played the good teams in the first half of season, he got out coached and they got smoked.
I also know that TJ missed seven games but you simply cannot base everything on one defensive player. You better have a guy that can at least be a suitable replacement. Certainly not the same caliber as TJ but the team can’t just fall apart when he goes down. That’s not being prepared and Tomlin has either have a decent backup in place or a different scheme.The season can’t stop when one guy goes down.
We lost Rod Woodson in 95 and he didn’t return until the SB but we managed to win lots of games without him.
Anyway I’m sticking with a generous B-.
What say you?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Great Post Steelhurt, thank you !!!!

B- or. C+

Bubbles and O’Canada should have been cut.

Salute the nation

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm B+, I like the way he challenged the team through adversity. Never lost the locker room at 2-6 and had everyone playing to win FOR HIM at the end of the season. Myles Jack said it best when no alarm bells went off at 2-6. He's never been in that situation where the team didn't go **** up at 2-6.

We need an objective eye in the sky, not on the sidelines for challenges. When games mean so much, you can't lose one because you can't see the angle from the field or jumbo tron.

I could see the offense open as they year went on. They tried to give KP too much room in the passing game early on, and it led to INTs and losses. They simplified the playbook, concentrated on enhancing the run game, and then started peppering in long passes, and KP thrived. This was an excellent coaching job.

I also like the big defensive personnel changes after losing to BAL and was a big reason why we shut down BAL the 2nd time.

Steelerz99

Forefather
Reaction score
I think C+/B- is fair. You pointed out some glaring issues, namely the handling of KP, but do think finally coming around to more of a platoon was a big turning point. 7-2 is always something to build upon, but even when they win, it's a struggle, and has been that way quite a bit over the last few years. Big changes needed on the staff and I believe they can improve next year, but not w/the same offensive philosophy. Look at what you did well, scrap the crap and let's get bigger on the score board. 17.5 points in this day and age, is horrendous. Negative points for not addressing the elephant in the tent regarding the bad OC.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The Bad
The QB competition charade set the team back entering the season, particularly bringing in Pickett so early in the season. Over his first seven games played, Pickett threw the ball 30 or more times on five occasions. Over the final five games (not including Baltimore at home), he threw it 30 or more times just once. Injured or not, Harris didn't have 20 carries in a game until November 13th and Jalen Warren wasn't used to pick up the slack. The team got whooped by the Bills and Eagles en route to a 2-6 start to the season and the team legitimately looked like a bottom 5 team in the league. Lost at home to a Baltimore team playing their third-string QB for a portion of the game.

The Good
The team bounced back and beat the teams they were suppose to over the back half of the season. Went 7-2 after the bye with a huge road win over Baltimore. Their only other loss was to Cincinnati by 7 points. The ground game found its way and the offensive line looked good for the first time in several seasons. Pickett got his turnovers under control and the defense allowed just 15.6 PPG. A big part of that was the run defense bouncing back.

Overall: C+
I'm pleased with how the team bounced back, however, I'm not going to be overly thrilled given the easy schedule over the final nine games. Yes they played better, but the competition was much easier. A team better prepared at the start of the season to start a rookie QB and the Steelers are in the playoffs right now rather than sitting at home. Also, we always hear the standard is the standard and in Pittsburgh it's about championship football. The Steelers haven't won a playoff game since 2016.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
My biggest problem is the stubbornness. I mean everyone and their dog could see that Devin Bush was a stiff. How long did it take for Tomlin to see enough. 14-15 weeks. It was Uncle Jarvis all over again. Same with Canada. He should have been gone at the bye. I'm happy the team made strides and I realize his job is safe, but if it's more of the same next year.... 9-8. Enough is enough.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
This is a tough one because on one hand Tomlin is to blame for the teams terrible start, but on the other hand deserves some credit for the turn around. Early on the offensive play calling was beyond bad. All the sideways passes, throwing the ball 40 times / game, the jet sweeps etc etc......Tomlin let this nonsense continue way too long and it cost us a spot in the playoffs. At that point Canada should have absolutely been fired at the bye week if not sooner. Then after the bye week we come out a different team. I am not sure who was responsible for the offensive flip, but they deserve some credit. The one really bad game after the bye was the Ravens game where they were down to their 3rd QB and could only run. We did not run a proper defense to stop that. Overall I will give a C- . C- for waiting till the season was more than half over to make significant changes, and missing the playoffs. I would have given a higher grade if we had at least attempted to change things even a few games earlier.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I can’t dismiss the slow start of 2-7 since you have to also credit Tomlin with that as well. The good and bad is only fair way to evaluate him.
They started 2-6, not 2-7.
I did not like the way he handled Kenny by inserting him into the second half of the Jets game cold with any first team reps and feel like he knee jerked with that decision. Probably would have been better to start Kenny after the bye week when you could have had him take first team reps for 10 days.
This was Tomlin's biggest gaffe of the 2022 season.
Still crappy at challenges, Missed two Sunday that could have cost us but didn’t. Najee’s TD that wasn’t called or challenged but he crossed the plain should have been challenged. Also a sideline catch by I think it was Big George that was caught and controlled but he didn’t challenge.
He is still poor with in-game decisions, and the Najee non-challenge was egregious. But an overturn on that Pickens play (which I do believe was a catch with some phenomenal footwork from George) should have come from the booth, as coaches cannot challenge inside of the two-minute warning. I actually give Tomlin credit there -- he was smart in calling a timeout to presumably give the officials time to review the play upstairs.
I give him credit for keeping this defense on point and also for realizing that Bush sucks and playing the rookie Mark Robinson.
Took way too long for that.
I also know that TJ missed seven games but you simply cannot base everything on one defensive player. You better have a guy that can at least be a suitable replacement. Certainly not the same caliber as TJ but the team can’t just fall apart when he goes down. That’s not being prepared and Tomlin has either have a decent backup in place or a different scheme.The season can’t stop when one guy goes down.
We lost Rod Woodson in 95 and he didn’t return until the SB but we managed to win lots of games without him.
Agreed.
Anyway I’m sticking with a generous B-.
What say you?
C+: Slightly above average, as the Steelers' 9-8 record indicates.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
When you win more than you lose I will never give you lower than a C. When you don't make the playoffs I will never give you higher than a C. That is why you strap them up. I am far from a participation trophy type of fan. Off the field they failed to identify Bush wasn't the answer, didn't give any real competition to LT. Brought Canada back despite his obvious deficiencies. Had a better DC option but decided to stick with their guy.

On the field it is the same ol in game slow decision making or no decision making, or worse bad decision making.
Against the top teams it was too often embarrassing. I can fathom a loss better if you are at least competitive against the Buffalo's, etc. Know when to challenge or give the job to someone else.

Then we have the trend start slow finish strong, or start strong and collapse. It is always miss the playoffs or be embarrassed in the playoffs. For a fan not a fan of participation trophies you can only take so much of this. Constantly lowering expectations based off their trend for average to mediocre.

So I will break down my grades.

Coaching C- no playoffs
Overall Tomlin tenure -C
Offseason moves (Includes resigning their own and free agency)- B
Draft- B
Owners- D

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Well 16 non losing seasons. If he has 2 more, he will tie Big Ben with 18...woot.

Whatever they did with the run game and line. Bravo! Getting away from that soft finesse ****.

I want him with a great OC and DC.

I'm rooting for his success as long as he's HC of the team.

They had the great fortune of playing a bunch of teams the back half of the season who had ****** QBs.

The Steelers last 3 playoff appearances have been awful. In fact that body of work hasn't looked good in a very long time. Even with Ben still in his prime with AB and Bell.

What's changed? It's all regressed down to a bs offense 3 years running. It's been a soft finesse team for far too long.

It really looks like they're trying to change that. At least I hope so.

Being just kinda good for 12 years is ok, it's entertaining, but it's just treading water.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If you look at the season as a whole, it was below average. They didn't make the playoffs and didn't perform very well. So, you can say it is a C-.

But, if you look at how bad things were with Canaduh, the OL, the QB situation, Najee playing injured for almost half the season, and Watt getting hurt, the season looks a bit different. Canaduh still sucks but will probably end up keeping his job much to our dismay. The OL improved in run blocking but sucks in pass blocking. KP got better as the season went on and looks legit. Watt came back and showed why he was the D MVP last year and the true MVP of the team. So, things were looking much better. Tomlin kept the team together when it looked like we were going to get a top 10 or even top 5 pick. If you look at that, you may give him a B+ or something in that range. Some out there might even think he was coach of the year.

Overall, though, I give him a C+. If he doesn't fire Canaduh and our ST's coach, I reserve the right to change that to a C-. Canaduh is a HUGE problem until he proves me wrong. In 2 years, he has been the O's biggest problem followed by the OL.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
@Steelr4evr Ben had 16 non losing seasons, and they weren't consecutive. BB had 12 consecutive non losing seasons.

His teams were non losing but his performance was not. It's just one of those cherry picked stats that announcers came up with to sound cool.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
C+

The plus for the adversity he faced losing Watt and Kazee for almost half the season and moving on from the Ben era

Obviously the run game and OL were a joke throughout preseason play. They did improve so kudos for that but waiting until the bye week to make adjustments to play calling and blocking scheme was FAR too long to wait to adjust. That is an EPIC failure by a HC digging a 2-6 hole and allowing an inept OC to drive the ride right into said hole.

With a solid second half of the season Shades redeems himself preserving the ever important…stike that…the MOST important achieve possible, continuing The Streak.

End result barely above .500
Mediocre Mike does what he does
The standard remains the standard
Zero playoff win streak still counting

Can’t get higher than a C variety grade given the end result of mediocrity.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
I think you have to start with why the Steelers don’t have better on field talent.

First, the Devin Bush draft day trade. Who knows what kind of talent the Steelers could have had they not pulled the trigger on that?

Second, a 1st round pick used on a rookie QB. So he gets a pass on developing a rookie QB but then he also deserves criticism for using a 3rd round pick for what ultimately was his 3rd string QB this year.

Third, the emphasis on drafting WR and largely ignoring OL. A lot of draft capital and salary cap between DJ, Claypool and Austin with disappointing returns thus far, hopefully they get something with the Claypool trade.

For these reasons and Tomlin’s unwillingness to address his on field decision making and special teams issues, I give him a C-.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
B.
Does a good job handling players.
Does a mostly lousy job hiring assistants.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
@Steelr4evr Ben had 16 non losing seasons, and they weren't consecutive. BB had 12 consecutive non losing seasons.

His teams were non losing but his performance was not. It's just one of those cherry picked stats that announcers came up with to sound cool.

Oops. Well he has one more superbowl win, so that counts for at least 5 non losing seasons..haha

Hines field

Reaction score
Meh. C being generous. Look at our wins only 3 wins against playoff teams. 1 Cincy long snapper away. 2 Tampa who has a losing record. 3 ravens with a back up Qb. No real great wins this season.

The buck stops with Tomlin. And the way I see the 2 and 6 start, is we played scared stayed away from the middle of the field. There are no style points, go down giving it your best effort. To me the game plans we came out with were for pride. Let’s keep this as close as possible and not get blown out. A L is an L. Let the team learn from mistakes and progress faster for it. In the 1st half of the season players were bitching to the media about having to run the plays called. Blame Canada but ultimately it is Tomlin.

Also Bush has been talked about and how ridiculous it was for a change not to be made. What about Harris? It was obvious he was hurt bad in the beginning of the season and we just kept running him. We had snell and warren to carry the load. Talk on the board was Harris was a bust. Now healthy he looks great. This is on Tomlin as well.

Tomlin’s X’s and O’s In game adjustments and challenge skills are all below the line.

All in all what I expected this season…. Another season of getting the bare minimum out of a team. That is what we have had over the last decade. Something has to change.

alancac98

Reaction score
F - I wanted him to retire or be fired after the Denver loss to Tim Teebow (and my dislike grew every post season after)!
I have and never will like the guy as the HC of the Steelers. I immediately saw right through his "intellectual football speak"!

steelcan58

Reaction score
For what Tomlin and the team accomplished during the season I give him a B. I didn't expect much this season. Frankly I just wanted to see the team make progress.

The OL jelled. We now have a running game for the first time in years. I think Najee is emerging as a leader. Kenny showed he could lead the team downfield in the closing minutes. Downside to the offense was OC related. Play calling was beyond abysmal at times. Didn't get Pickens involved nearly enough. Didn't utilize the middle of the field in passing game. NO PLAY ACTION!

Defense improved a lot as the season went on, mostly due to TJ getting healthy. One of the high points was they actually came up with a game plan to mostly shut down Baltimore running game. What a unique concept - an actual game plan. The DBs are still a question as a unit. although we led the league in INTs .

If Tomlin replaces OC and ST coaches his grade goes up to an A-. The team is moving in the right direction for the first time in years. I like the overall attitude. Still lots of work ahead. Let's see if it continues.