• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How many here did not follow the Steelers before #7 arrived?

speedicut

Reaction score
I moved to PGH when I was 3 years old ( Jan 1964 ) from Alabama and remember them playing at Pitt Stadium and hiring Chuck Noll. My family were all Bama/Steelers fans and continue to be. We suffered through all of the Malones/Bristers/Grahams/etc until savior Ben came along.... the wait was worth it!

pittbull

Contributor
Reaction score
My earliest recollections of the Steelers is sitting with my dad while he watched a game and asking, "Who are the good guys?" His response would be, "The team that's losing." (Then he'd go on to tell me the which team was the Steelers). Fortunately, I was old enough to comprehend the game by SB IX, and knew full well of Fran Tarkington, Chuck Foreman, Jim Marshall, the 'Purple People Eaters'. It was a great time to be a young Steelers fan.

My avatar pays tribute to my biggest disappointment as a Steelers QB. We're talkin the 80's, Magnum PI was the rage, Malone comes in as a rookie, and sets the Steelers record for longest TD...as a receiver. It was all downhill from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMM

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I started in 1963 watching and yelling for the Steelers Giants on a black and white TV. Remember going to training camp you pulled up to the fence and could sit in the car and watch practice. Players had short shorts and no rhyme or reason color wise. Had a hard tie winning up 14 with a minute left it seemed in those early years.
So much more interaction with players, etc. back then. I miss that aspect of it for sure.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Steelers fan since 1970 when I was old enough to understand football.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers fan since 1970 when I was old enough to understand football.
I was about 5 in 73 coming over from Germany.. in Eagle country on the adopted grandparents farm they turned on the TV. Everything has to be Steelers from that point on. Nobody else around me was Steelers fans. Maybe the colors intrigued me who knows.