• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How many here did not follow the Steelers before #7 arrived?

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I went to iraq the year ben was drafted. Caught some games before we left. not much. Just heard all the time how ben was undefeated etc. By the time the game vs. patriots came about , we had a tv over there. We all stayed up till the wee hours to watch.. Sad. When we got back it was the next season. Went on that late win streak into the playoffs.. Got to go to indianapolis for the win there and bens tackle. Then went to Detroit to watch the win vs. Seattle.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
rudy lost the starting job to a duck....there is nothing irrational about the abuse he catches
While I see Rudy as an average backup/game manager on his good days it was quite obvious that Rudy with scrambled brain seeing ghosts of helmets flying at him was a downgrade from even that.

Steeler fans just have too high of expectations of him imo…how many mid round QBs catch on and have great careers as starters in the league?

If/when KP hits the field will he be held to a higher standard than Rudy since we spent a first rounder on him and he was the first QB taken in the draft or does he get a pass because he had 1 good year at Pitt?

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I guess if I had to pinpoint a concern it is Mitch's less than stellar accuracy percentage so far in camp. I call that a concern because I have a feeling they will force feed him into the initial starting role regardless of preseason outcome.
One of my main concerns would be in camp our highest ypa by a QB is 5.8 and the pressure isn’t even on yet…just camp numbers.

Another concern is that Rudy is the guy sporting that “lofty” ypa of 5.8

For reference most good QBs are in the high 6s at a minimum with mid 7s being even more the standard of good QB play.

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
Became a fan when they won there first SB, I was in 1st grade. Back then you only saw a couple different teams on TV here in SC. Thank God I didn't become a Cowboys fan. The 80's were tough, at least we had the 4 SB's from the 70's to get us through it.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Fan since early 70s and reading through this post reminding myself of all the numb nuts QBs we’ve had is a trip

At least we had TB (the original) and BR cuz we have Slash and Maddox fighting it out for 3rd place-ouch!!!

Oh yeah and **** O’Donnell

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
One of my main concerns would be in camp our highest ypa by a QB is 5.8 and the pressure isn’t even on yet…just camp numbers.

Another concern is that Rudy is the guy sporting that “lofty” ypa of 5.8

For reference most good QBs are in the high 6s at a minimum with mid 7s being even more the standard of good QB play.
Depot didn't specify what it was but said in the last 3 practices Pickett's YPA has bounced up to respectable numbers. His completion percentage also has jumped to the top in comparison. The QB group as a whole are starting to show improvement. I think this will continue to trend upwards and I really like what I am reading/seeing from Pickett lately.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Who the **** are the STEELERS and what the hell is #7 all about ?

EDIT: One year before Joe Greene, whoever the **** he is ???

Salute the nation

FatsHolmes

Reaction score
My first memories were of listening to them on the radio on my family's weekly drive into Pittsburgh on Sundays. I remember Noll being hired and "Who's Joe Greene" in the papers. I remember people being shocked when we picked Franco over Lydell Mitchell. I remember significant doubts about Bradshaw, and can't help wondering how good Jefferson Street Joe Gilliam could have been had been able to stay away from the drugs. I don't hate Neil O'Donnell as most do. Hey, he got us into the Super Bowl with some pretty good QB play that season. I would have preferred to have won the game, but when you think about it, the Steelers were massive underdogs and almost pulled it out. I remember laughing when the Eagles picked up Brister and he played two good games to start off. The fans out here were hailing him as the savior of the franchise. I kept telling them to wait a couple of weeks and they'd change their mind - that Brister had a knack for a couple of good games before falling apart. It can be fun watching Philly fans get deflated like they were in Bubby's second two weeks as starter here.

bkwheat28

Reaction score
A fan since early 70s. My first player swag was a sweatshirt of Brister.

80s were tough. At least I had a divorce to numb the pain.

Ouch!!! 🤣😂🤣😂

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Depot didn't specify what it was but said in the last 3 practices Pickett's YPA has bounced up to respectable numbers. His completion percentage also has jumped to the top in comparison. The QB group as a whole are starting to show improvement. I think this will continue to trend upwards and I really like what I am reading/seeing from Pickett lately.
Really hope so, his last compiled stat line from camp I saw still had him at 3.8 ypa which is just brutal if that is indeed accurate …not saying his fault cuz Canada’s whole offense is within +3/-3 yards of the LOS.

I’m rooting like hell for the kid cuz he’s a Steeler and we invested heavily in him. In all honesty he’s probably best sitting until we get an actual legit NFL caliber OC rather than letting Canada ruin him.

Whoever gets the nod I’ll be pulling for 💯 tho
I never get the mentally some have that seems like they’re rooting for players to fail.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Bubby, Neil, Tomczak, Stewart, Graham, Maddox.

Yeah I been around a while.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Wow... Steve "Sonny" Bono.... Forgot about that guy. I'll be honest, I don't remember Campbell. I definitely remember Todd B and David W.
Scott Campbell is a real Estate broker in my town now. I remember him from the 80's. Hell, I thought Todd Blackledge was the real deal and was going to led us to a Super Bowl.

Reactions: JMM

skline00

Reaction score
Born in 1951 so it's been a "few" years that I've followed the Stillers.

Heck I remember an assembly at our high school (BFHS) when John Henry Johnson lectured us about getting a high school diploma so we could be our own boss!

Prior to Chuck Noll, it was hard to be a fan because the Stillers would fade toward the end of the season and the Browns killed you!

Badcat, didn't Scott Campbell play at Hershey?

skline00

Reaction score
JMM, when you say you miss the Oilers and the Astrodome, it brought back memories of my college years 69-73 when I watched a Steelers Oilers Monday night game called by Frank Gifford, Don Meridith and Howard Cosell.

The Steelers were really beating the Oilers and it was late in the game. The ABC camera crew was panning the audience when a Oilers fan stood up, raised his arm and put up his middle finger to the camera.

Don Meridith, always the character said "look at that Howard, he's saying our team is number One"

Without breaking stride Howard Cosell said "No, no, no Don he's pretty well sizing up this game!" (y) (y)

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I watched this team a couple of years ago quarterbacked by Rudolph and Duck. It was the worst offensive football I've ever seen.

O'Canada's dad was the OC at the time............................ Maybe you heaqrd of him.............. Randy Fitchner

Salute the nation

diver

Reaction score
Watching Graham turn from center to hand off or throw was like watching paint dry. My wife to this day still makes fun of it. Absolutely painful too watch.
I was born a fan more or less. I had no choice. I remember from about '76 real well. One thing I laugh at is when Swannie made that catch in SB 10, I ran outside right away and was pitching the ball over the wire outback and diving in the snow pile trying to do that catch. Kinda never dawned on me the game was still going on. By the time I got done screwing around and back to the TV Swann just made the long TD catch. I didn't see it live, just replays. I must have been drawn inside by the cheering. By the '76 season though I figured it out a bit more.

Anyway, I didn't ever get to many games, but I decided to get out there for a game in the last year of Three Rivers. My friend and I decided to go to the first game of the 2000 season against the Ravens. I had the joy of watching Kent Graham bumble all over the field that day. Just awful.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
JMM, when you say you miss the Oilers and the Astrodome, it brought back memories of my college years 69-73 when I watched a Steelers Oilers Monday night game called by Frank Gifford, Don Meridith and Howard Cosell.

The Steelers were really beating the Oilers and it was late in the game. The ABC camera crew was panning the audience when a Oilers fan stood up, raised his arm and put up his middle finger to the camera.

Don Meridith, always the character said "look at that Howard, he's saying our team is number One"

Without breaking stride Howard Cosell said "No, no, no Don he's pretty well sizing up this game!" (y) (y)
They were a great crew. I caught the tail end of their work in the late 70s. I remember the mid - late 80s brought Dan Dierdorf to the booth and the decline continued...🤣