• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How many here did not follow the Steelers before #7 arrived?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
He was definitely great in that slash role which is one of the things that frustrated the **** out of me as a fan back in those days If we could see the weapon they had, why couldn't the coaching staff? The guy could catch as good as any receiver we had and was illusive as hell as a runner...Why force him to be a QB?
He probably would have been fine at QB had chan gailey stayed…. instead of embracing his athletic abilities, he just couldn’t let the idea that he wasn’t good enough to be a pocket passer and desperately tried to force himself to be one… it certainly didn’t help that the Steelers went with the inexperienced Sherman and then switched to the overly cerebral Gilbride offense…. Kordell looking for one or two reads then taking off coupled with the unique power of Bettis created a pick your poison scenario that was hard to defend.. it wouldn’t have lasted long, but it was better than the alternative we got… which was Stewart standing in the pocket and firing 100 mph wormburners or high balls that would be tipped for a pick

Reactions: JMM

bkwheat28

Reaction score
I was born a fan more or less. I had no choice. I remember from about '76 real well. One thing I laugh at is when Swannie made that catch in SB 10, I ran outside right away and was pitching the ball over the wire outback and diving in the snow pile trying to do that catch. Kinda never dawned on me the game was still going on. By the time I got done screwing around and back to the TV Swann just made the long TD catch. I didn't see it live, just replays. I must have been drawn inside by the cheering. By the '76 season though I figured it out a bit more.

Anyway, I didn't ever get to many games, but I decided to get out there for a game in the last year of Three Rivers. My friend and I decided to go to the first game of the 2000 season against the Ravens. I had the joy of watching Kent Graham bumble all over the field that day. Just awful.

What a way to have your first game go. After a looooonnnng wait, my wife surprised me with tix in ‘04. In ‘08 stayed in town to get a two for 1 when they played Sunday and then a short week on Thursday. So essentially my first 3 games were all super bowl teams. Ironically that ‘08 Sunday game was vs Chargers and I headed for beer line. Harrison intercepted ball and I ran from concourse to look inside as returned it. Just a few months later he did it again but took it to house to help win the game. #4 was ‘19 when Ben was hurt and I got to see The Duck. We won and it was the revenge game against the Browns. So I can’t complain. 4-0!!!

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Well the first game I remember which is very little since I was 3 and a half years old. My uncles had come over to watch this game with my dad. It was some dudes wearing purple with horns painted on the helmets. They yelled and jumped, I occasionally looked up from my toys. Then at the end of the game they went nuts ran outside yelling. Came back in to watch them present a trophy. They screamed some more. jumped around. Very odd to me at the time. I didn't realize that I was watching the greatest NFL team ever assembled.

I pretty much watched every game since then. The 1980's got rough. My "One For The Thumb in 81" shirt got old and too small. I moved far away, but that connection remained and always will, even when they piss me off.

So many memories that connect to them that transcend football. All I see is home and a time long gone,but not forgotten.

Now stop dicking around and win another championship...lol.

diver

Reaction score
We didn't have cable growing up, just an antenna. Black and white TV too. The only reason I knew all the teams colors was from the lunchbox I had. I do remember the playoffs ion '74 very slightly. I don't know if it was bad weather or not, but the Bills/Steelers playoff game was all fuzzy. You'd look real hard at the TV...there went a Bill helmet. There's a Steeler! We still didn't have cable in the '80s when I was a teenager, but it was sort of like when you could pull in PRISM real fuzzy and get a skin flick. There's a boob!

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
rudy lost the starting job to a duck....there is nothing irrational about the abuse he catches
Coolie you are smarter than that. Mason was not ready to be back. I thought the guy would miss at least 6 to 8 games or more after that bullshit headshot by the Ravens. He shouldn't have been playing but Duck was that bad no matter how good a story he was. The coaches and trainers are really the reason for this narrative about him being scared by putting him on the field when he clearly wasn't ready. Plus Fichtner really sucked that year.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Coolie you are smarter than that. Mason was not ready to be back. I thought the guy would miss at least 6 to 8 games or more after that bullshit headshot by the Ravens. He shouldn't have been playing but Duck was that bad no matter how good a story he was. The coaches and trainers are really the reason for this narrative about him being scared by putting him on the field when he clearly wasn't ready. Plus Fichtner really sucked that year.
as if anyone read past that idiotic statement

rudy is this generations Cliff Stoudt....a backup they think is the next star....

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score

rudy is this generations Cliff Stoudt....a backup they think is the next star....
Hell no one thinks he is a star just no where near as bad some make him out to be. We have been spoiled by having Ben. A whole generation doesn't know what it is to have even average QB play.

FatsHolmes

Reaction score

I still wonder how good Cliff Stoudt would have been had he not decided to punch the metal support arm of a punching machine.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
I started in 1963 watching and yelling for the Steelers Giants on a black and white TV. Remember going to training camp you pulled up to the fence and could sit in the car and watch practice. Players had short shorts and no rhyme or reason color wise. Had a hard tie winning up 14 with a minute left it seemed in those early years.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
My older brother is two years older than I. As the first born, he resented the new comer as a youngster. I, of course, wanted to always being doing what the older brother was doing. He is a huge Vikings fan. Was being a complete **** during the superbowl because he didn't want me rooting for "him team". "Fine", I said, "Then the Steelers are MY TEAM!". I was 6 years old.

Here is a list of every QB to start in-between Brad and Ben:

Iron95

Contributor
Reaction score
I remember the Bradshaw Hanrady controversy. I was just a kid so I didnt really have a favorite.

Steelmann

Reaction score
I still wonder how good Cliff Stoudt would have been had he not decided to punch the metal support arm of a punching machine.
Geeeez don’t remember that story,have to look it up. Seen them all. We had 4 kids being born between 1988-1996.
It all seems a little blurry.🙂

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
I have been a Steelers fan since 1974 so...

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
As a very young dude, I became a fan around 80/81'ish. So, I missed being able to live the glory of the 70s and had to live through the "pain" of much of the 80s. That being said, I actually enjoyed the 80s because I was young, dumb, had a team and it was on every week to watch (grew up in east Ohio in the Ytown area). Youth ... when you can actually think the Stoudt's and Malones of the world (and all of the other ugh we had) give your team a chance to win. Ah well. Experiencing the 80s has only caused me to really appreciate everything that came after!

Stewey

Reaction score
My older brother is two years older than I. As the first born, he resented the new comer as a youngster. I, of course, wanted to always being doing what the older brother was doing. He is a huge Vikings fan. Was being a complete **** during the superbowl because he didn't want me rooting for "him team". "Fine", I said, "Then the Steelers are MY TEAM!". I was 6 years old.

Here is a list of every QB to start in-between Brad and Ben:

Steelers- 7 starting qbs in 22 yrs.

Browns- 22 starting qb's in 7 years. lol

Steel Reign

Custom Title
Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers- 7 starting qbs in 22 yrs.

Browns- 22 starting qb's in 7 years. lol

At least the Browns are winning at something. Come to think of it, maybe two things. Most QBs and most QB careers ended.

Stewey

Reaction score
At least the Browns are winning at something. Come to think of it, maybe two things. Most QBs and most QB careers ended.

Through the years the Browns have acquired a ton of knowledge...of what not to do. And every year they are still learning.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
I think a follow up question this post is how many here don't really follow the Steelers now. Based on some the asinine opinions I see that seem to come straight from blowhards like Mark Madden and are devoid of any logic or football acumen. I would guess we have more than a few who don't actually watch the games and get their knowledge from a magazine or sports shock jock. Some even drive luxury vehicles.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
born in 78, watched them from birth basically lol

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Grew up in the 90’s. Vaguely remember O’Donnell.

Lived through Slash, Graham, Tomzack and Maddox. I’ll live.

Nothing gets worse than the late 90’s lol. Football wise that is.

From a life stand point. I was a a carefree 5th grader with easy times. School, pokemon and no bills.

Ah. The good ole’ days