• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How the Steelers Can Get Back in First Place by Thanksgiving

6Lombardis

Reaction score
ill drink your koolaide! it is possible we've turned it around before what's more WE expect to turn it around but will it stay turned around? I see the potential of this line...its big physical and can move but how about some plays that play to that strength? we need more cowbell! i.e. the fullback! and we to need to slam his *** into these blitzers, smaller de's and tackles T'ing off on ben and Harris. cannonball him through old school and watch them get out of the way! both Noll and cowher knew when it was tight to "tighten the chinstraps" do they say that in the 'burgh anymore? when I was growing up there moms told their kids "stopping whining and tighten you chinstrap" your dad would say pull up your jockstrap! watching this generation of steeler football that sure as hell doesn't look to be the case anymore
We need running plays that are downhill with the line moving forward. We need Ben under center more.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, so Baker, Lamar, and Joe get on an airplane one dark and stormy night in Clear Lake, Iowa...

That was a sad night way back then on the original story.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
2009 to be exact

That was when we ran out of being able to unleash BUT since then we have been living in it and along with our fears................................

Salute the nation

Reactions: MTC

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
As John Madden once famously said, you need to score more points than the other team.

That ****** also said it touched the ground as well................................... (lol)

Do you remember his turkey day drum sticks (thanksgiving) were they awarded turkey legs for nearly everything......................................

SAD thing was though those "turkey legs" sat out for 4+ hours and then you'd see some of the guys eating them.....

Salute the nation

Salute the nation

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have had an extremely underwhelming season to start 2021. With September and the “first quarter” of the season in the books, they currently are 1-3 and two games behind every team in the AFC North. It’s going to be a difficult climb, but I’m going to outline how the Steelers can get back to first place by their Week 12 match up against the Cincinnati Bengals.

1 .Win​

First things first, the Steelers have to play better in all three facets of the game. Head coach Mike Tomlin has been very blunt about the team not performing to expectations and I expect a drastic turnaround in the next month. There’s no sugar coating it and the stats back it up – this is a bottom five offense in the NFL. However, the Steelers have been dealing with a multitude of injuries to key playmakers like Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool. They have not had all of their starting wide outs since Week 1 which coincidentally coincides with their last win. The Steelers offense is likely to be back at full health moving forward and will have the opportunity to play complimentary football to a dominant defense.

The Steelers play four of their next five games at home and also play a division rival in the Cleveland Browns. The magic win number for the Steelers to get back to the top of the north is five. If they can win 5 of their next 6 games, then they will be at 6-4 and will back on top of the AFC North going into December. They have two excellent matchups at home in November against the underperforming Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions that they must win. They also have to win this weekend against an injury ridden Denver Broncos squad. This leaves us with the aforementioned Browns, Sunday Night Football against the Seattle Seahawks and a trip out west to play the Los Angeles Chargers.

Now, you don’t have to be a math wiz to figure out they have to steal two games that they will likely be favored to lose. I expect them to bring their “A-game” when they travel to Cleveland and revenge their ugly loss in the 2020 AFC Wild Card round. The Steelers have a record over .700% in primetime games under Tomlin at home and should be able to create pressure on Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson with a great pass rush and a hostile environment. If they can win the turnover margin, then they stand a great chance to steal a game at home on Sunday night and hit our magic number of five. This is clearly asking a lot of a team that hasn’t performed well all season, but as I previously mentioned, if they just can rely on their defense and protect the ball, then they will likely come out of most stadiums ahead.

2. AFC North Regression​

Outside of the Steelers, the AFC North is currently a combined 9-3. It’s highly unlikely that the Steelers AFC North cohorts are able to maintain a .750 win percentage over the next two months, especially with injuries and increases in schedule difficulty. Below I will predict the best case scenario for Pittsburgh for each AFC North team.

Browns: This is the first team I expect to take a significant step back in the coming months. They have taken advantage of inferior opponents and have won games they were supposed to win. To put it in perspective, the Steelers have played four games against opponents who have a combined record of 12-4. The Browns opponents have a combined record of 5-11. Yes, I understand they have still won, but most of their wins have looked ugly. Quarterback Baker Mayfield has also admitted he’s dealing with an injury to his non-throwing shoulder that will likely nag him the entire season, so there’s a good chance he misses some time if he’s unable to properly manage the injury. The Browns have to travel to the Chargers this week and then have to play the Arizona Cardinals and Broncos in back-to-back weeks which is one of the toughest stretches in the NFL. The Browns are likely to lose four of their next six which would put them at 5-5 and a game behind the Steelers at Thanksgiving.

Bengals: The Bengals have perhaps been the biggest surprise in the NFL over the first month of the season. To their credit, they have improved a lot of the past few years, but they still are a team that will lose a lot of games over the course of an 18-week season. The Bengals schedule is not nearly as difficult as the rest of the AFC North over the next two months, but there are a lot of games that one key mistake could lose them the game. The Bengals are historically bad in one-score games (2-11-1 under head coach Zac Taylor) and only need a few plays to go against them in order for them to drop below .500% by Thanksgiving. If the Bengals win more than two games over the next two months, then you can say I’m wrong, but I don’t see them being better than 5-5 by the time they meet the Steelers on November 28th.

Ravens: The Ravens are the only team that may stand in the way of the Steelers reclaiming first place. The Ravens have stolen two games against the Kansas City Chiefs and Lions that they should’ve lost, so let’s hope the pendulum swings in their opponents favor and they drop some games they should win. The Steelers don’t get to play the Ravens until December, so there’s no way the Steelers can get two games back on the Ravens. They’re going to have to rely on the rest of the NFL to help them out, which is a tall task. The Ravens are likely to be favored in every game they play over the next two months, but all it takes is one key injury and the Steelers could leap frog them in the standings and be looking down on everyone going into the final stretch of the 2021 season.

It’s clear that this is going to be an upward battle, but crazier things have happened. It all starts upfront with the Steelers winning and that’s not going to be possible if the offense can’t protect the ball. If the offensive line can begin to gel and Ben Roethlisberger can protect the football and let his skill guys be playmakers, then they can easily win five of the next six games. However, if the offense can’t figure it out and continues to put the defense in bad positions, then it won’t matter if the rest of the AFC North performs how we outlined above. One thing we know is that the Steelers have a Hall of Fame quarterback and coach, so if the stars align, then there’s every reason to believe this team will be in first place by Thanksgiving.

Do yinz think the Steelers have what it takes to get back to first place in the division? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..
cheech.gif

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
This year I get to totally relax as I am an overnight guest and my stepson's girlfriend who usually helps cook with me wants to tackle everything on her own this year.
Menu for lunch and throughout the day is butternut squash soup and an arrangement of charcuterie boards. Dinner consists of roast turkey, ham and seasonal veggies.

Over the years I think much of the same things most American's enjoy on Thanksgiving .... turkey, honey/mustard glazed ham, mashed potatoes or a nice roasted potato, peas, corn, carrots, gravy, candied sweet potato, pumpkin pie or apple crumble .... cranberries etc.

My birthday was on the 6th and my stepson's is on the 13th OCTOBER .... so we kind of celebrate all those things together

Being the cook in my house
Here is a photo of what I created for my birthday
Honey glazed smoked duck breast with a twist of orange
On a bed of spinach and tender red lettuce
Topped with gouda cheese, roasted almonds & edamame, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds
Finished with a raspberry vinagrette

tasted pretty good
Holy **** that looks good. Happy birthday to you both and hopefully stepson's girl kicks it out of the park. Are you a chef ? that looks like a professional dish. Nice.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
This year I get to totally relax as I am an overnight guest and my stepson's girlfriend who usually helps cook with me wants to tackle everything on her own this year.
Menu for lunch and throughout the day is butternut squash soup and an arrangement of charcuterie boards. Dinner consists of roast turkey, ham and seasonal veggies.

Over the years I think much of the same things most American's enjoy on Thanksgiving .... turkey, honey/mustard glazed ham, mashed potatoes or a nice roasted potato, peas, corn, carrots, gravy, candied sweet potato, pumpkin pie or apple crumble .... cranberries etc.

My birthday was on the 6th and my stepson's is on the 13th OCTOBER .... so we kind of celebrate all those things together

Being the cook in my house
Here is a photo of what I created for my birthday
Honey glazed smoked duck breast with a twist of orange
On a bed of spinach and tender red lettuce
Topped with gouda cheese, roasted almonds & edamame, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds
Finished with a raspberry vinagrette

tasted pretty good
Looks good. I don't think I've ever had duck.

My wife makes a great butternut squash soup. Hopefully it eventually gets cold here and begins to feel like Fall and soup/stew weather...

Enjoy!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I wish I could ..... there were a lot of places I had on my list to visit around the USA...
I doubt the world will ever be the same for years to come........ here's hoping for better things
I’d still like to travel around someday as well.
I’ve lived in GA, Mrs. MTC is originally from SoCal/Downey, we’ve been to Denver, Vegas, Phoenix, Jacksonville, Auburn and had a flight stop in Buffalo. So in essence I’ve gotten to travel, but not tourist travel like I envision.

And yes I am hoping for better. Albuquerque has actually gotten really bad. There was a shooting at central grille on Wednesday morning, that area is a heavy tourist area. Doesn’t help just a block or two up homeless camps are popping up everywhere.

We are concluding the 2021 balloon fiesta this weekend. It runs the first week or so of October. Definitely recommend to all toursist. The scenery in person is amazing. Something else is the mountains. Having lived in GA(which I love) the sandia mountains, no matter what is nice view on the eyes. If you can catch a view of them at sunset. Pretty color.

And NM chili is something else. It’s a different level of culinary crafting you have to try. You can get red or green or christmas(both). But it’s something else I will recommend if you do travel someday.

You’ll have to give us some tips and tourist spots up north. I’ll fit in being a hockey fan, I have some ccm branded apparel ;)

Will crack open an occasional Labatt

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Holy **** that looks good. Happy birthday to you both and hopefully stepson's girl kicks it out of the park. Are you a chef ? that looks like a professional dish. Nice.
Thanks Slash
No I am not a chef but my mom was a cook for a local restaurant growing up and we had a very large family so I used to help from a very young age.
Back then was mostly meat and potatoes but my wife likes all kinds of things that I didn't acquire a taste for until later in life.
I like to create things especially around the holidays. My lasagna is about a 5-6 hour event every other Christmas.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks good. I don't think I've ever had duck.

My wife makes a great butternut squash soup. Hopefully it eventually gets cold here and begins to feel like Fall and soup/stew weather...

Enjoy!
Thanks JMM
You can't imagine the amount of liquid created in preparing a duck and if you like fries or potatoes it takes them to another level when done in duck fat.
Does your wife put ginger in her butternut squash soup ?
Fall is by far my favourite season.... Chili , stews and hearty soups .......ummmm!

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
I’d still like to travel around someday as well.
I’ve lived in GA, Mrs. MTC is originally from SoCal/Downey, we’ve been to Denver, Vegas, Phoenix, Jacksonville, Auburn and had a flight stop in Buffalo. So in essence I’ve gotten to travel, but not tourist travel like I envision.

And yes I am hoping for better. Albuquerque has actually gotten really bad. There was a shooting at central grille on Wednesday morning, that area is a heavy tourist area. Doesn’t help just a block or two up homeless camps are popping up everywhere.

We are concluding the 2021 balloon fiesta this weekend. It runs the first week or so of October. Definitely recommend to all toursist. The scenery in person is amazing. Something else is the mountains. Having lived in GA(which I love) the sandia mountains, no matter what is nice view on the eyes. If you can catch a view of them at sunset. Pretty color.

And NM chili is something else. It’s a different level of culinary crafting you have to try. You can get red or green or christmas(both). But it’s something else I will recommend if you do travel someday.

You’ll have to give us some tips and tourist spots up north. I’ll fit in being a hockey fan, I have some ccm branded apparel ;)

Will crack open an occasional Labatt
Sounds like you have seen some amazing places.
Crime and homelessness are everywhere unfortunately
Hockey season begins soon
I don't follow as much since my dad passed away but I do watch the JUNIOR tournament during the Christmas - New Years holiday times

Reactions: MTC

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks JMM
You can't imagine the amount of liquid created in preparing a duck and if you like fries or potatoes it takes them to another level when done in duck fat.
Fall is by far my favourite season.... Chili , stews and hearty soups .......ummmm!

Awesome on the "Chef Paul" as everything looks and sound magnificent !!!!

Three days ago I had 104 F for the high, today is 67 F and this coming wednesday great chance of snow...!!!

I'm still picking garden stuff. My sister came out yesterday and we picked all Red Beets / Carots / close to the last of cucumbers / cherry tomatoes /.

Today or tomorrow I'll be picking the rest of tomatoes / spaghetti squash / butternut squash / yellow summer & Zuchinni squash / onions & closing out my gardens for the year. WAIT..... I have two squash plants with about 8 1/2 size i'm going to blanket over and hope to make through short possible freeze (we will see).

I love all four seasons and as you can see I can get three in less than a week.

Salute the nation

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Thanks JMM
Not exactly sure about the ginger. Definitely not the real deal but maybe ground ginger spice. It has more of an allspice taste so I'd say no. Do you use real ginger?

steelhurt

Reaction score
I’m on board with option 1, start winning but geez the play calling just has to start getting better. Please work on establishing and sticking with the run game and by that I mean more than 14 rushing attempts.
I think now if we can do that should be able to win the next two and go to bye week 3-3 then we’ll see from there.

Reactions: JMM

Steelmann

Reaction score
what is on the menu on the west coast?

do you incorporate a lot of seafood dishes ?
I stay really traditional on thanksgiving. Have done a ton of thanksgiving dinners,4 kids,significant others,now grandchildren. It’s always huge Turkey.....love leftovers. Brined overnight.

Brussel Sprouts. Used to hate them as a kid. But I put them in a big cast iron frying pan...olive oil,dried cranberries,walnuts. Delicious

Candied carrots. Maple syrup,Butter. Low and slow. Delicious

Have to make my mother’s german style red cabbage. Low and slow. Delicious. Don’t forget the cloves. Flavor great.

I love making my turnip puff. Always a hit. Don’t know why I don’t make it more often.

Usually make a full 10 pounds of mashed potatoes. No secret. Milk ,butter,hand mash.

The gravy goes on all day,put the organs with pieces of vegetables in big pot with water,let in go slow and long. When Turkey comes out strain add to Turkey juice and scrape in pan. Little bit of this little bit of that. Love it.

Daughter always brings her recipe for stuffing,son always makes a couple apple crisps or cobblers. Delicious

We hardly ever deviate from this traditional menu. Mmmmm,Mmmmm good.

Last edited:

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
I stay really traditional on thanksgiving. Have done a ton of thanksgiving dinners,4 kids,significant others,now grandchildren. It’s always huge Turkey.....love leftovers. Brined overnight.

Brussel Sprouts. Used to hate them as a kid. But I put them in a big cast iron frying pan...olive oil,dried cranberries,walnuts. Delicious

Candied carrots. Maple syrup,Butter. Low and slow. Delicious

Have to make my mother’s german style red cabbage. Low and slow. Delicious. Don’t forget the cloves. Flavor great.

I love making my turnip puff. Always a hit. Don’t know why I don’t make it more often.

Usually make a full 10 pounds of mashed potatoes. No secret. Milk ,butter,hand mash.

The gravy goes on all day,put the organs with pieces of vegetables in big pot with water,let in go slow and long. When Turkey comes out strain add to Turkey juice and scrape in pan. Little bit of this little bit of that. Love it.

Daughter always brings her recipe for stuffing,son always makes a couple apple crisps or cobblers. Delicious

We hardly ever deviate from this traditional menu. Mmmmm,Mmmmm good.
Looks and sounds great ........... I miss my mom's gravies

here is a photo of tomorrow's charcuterie feast

Attachments

• image_6487327.JPG
    image_6487327.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 3