• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How Will The Steelers Replace Diontae Johnson’s Production In Week 3?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Heading into their Week 3 matchup with the Cincinnati Bengals, the Pittsburgh Steelers will be without some key pieces on both sides of the ball based on their injury report from Friday. On offense, the biggest loss will be starting wide receiver, Diontae Johnson.

Johnson leads the Steelers in targets, receptions, receiving yards, and he’s their only wide receiver to catch a touchdown so far this season.

In case you couldn’t tell based on that, he is a very important piece to the way the Steelers run their offense as he is the most involved wide receiver week to week.

While Jonson is out with a knee injury, who will replace his production? The short answer, by committee.

While he is out, it is very likely SteelerNation will see an increased role of 4th year WR James Washington. Washington is someone that most of SteelerNation have been wanting to see more opportunity for, as when he sees the field, he always seems to produce.

However, it is unlikely Washington can replace the production being lost by Johnson alone. Some will point to an increased role for both Chase Claypool and JuJu Smith-Schuster as well, as they have acted as 2a and 2b in terms of targets.

Even with three wide receivers that are capable of stepping up and assuming more responsibility, I don’t think Steelers offensive coordinator, Matt Canada and the Pittsburgh offense will stop there in their efforts to replace Johnson this week.

It is quite likely we see more 12 or 21 personnel this week against the Bengals. For those that don’t know, 12 personnel is one running back and two tight ends, while 21 is two backs and one tight end.

The Steelers have a very good fullback in Derek Watt that has seen very limited snaps on offense this year, while also possessing two tight ends that are capable of making an impact in a multitude of ways in Eric Ebron and Pat Freiermuth.

Going with more 12 or 21 personnel wouldn’t just help provide some additional replacement for Johnson’s production through mismatches, it will also most likely lead to some more success with their ground game. In case you haven’t watched the first two weeks, anything to help the running game will be greatly welcomed by both the team and SteelerNation.

No matter how the elect to try and replace what Johnson brings to their offense, it is clear the Steelers are going to have to get creative doing it with how involved he was through the first two weeks. However, they do have several options to do so.

Let us know below how you think the Steelers should look to fill the void left by an injury to Johnson this week against the Bengals!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I would use more TE sets. Add in Washington. Maybe sprinkle in a little Ray Ray.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Honestly the knee jerk will be to just increase Washington’s reps… and I love his talent if we were replacing juju or mapletron… but honestly if Rico Bussey is available ( idr if he was put on ir or not) he would be ideal to run those quick routes…
We might bring cody white up… and that would just be more of the same guy really… we have like 4 ps wrs and outside of bussey I don’t think we have anyone who can get great separation like Johnson

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Hopefully, this compels them to stop using Juju like a TE and let him run some routes downfield like he used to

Knowing this coaching staff, they'll probably just plug in Washington and not change much of anything beyond that.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully, this compels them to stop using Juju like a TE and let him run some routes downfield like he used to

Knowing this coaching staff, they'll probably just plug in Washington and not change much of anything beyond that.
Free JuJu, use 2 TE sets

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
By catching the ball and not running out of bounds or giving up on routes.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
James Washington! Come on down. You're our next exciting contestant on "Make A Play."

madinsomniac

Reaction score
If DJ is out long term I highly suggest looking at one of the doobie brothers… primarily Josh Gordon, though his services may be in “HIGH” demand… seriously, you cannot be suspended games for pot anymore… Martavis would also help open up tge Offense as another guy who can take the top off a d

And again we could try trading Washington to the Jets for Mims.. wash is going to leave and the jets need help now… Mims is a quicker slightly faster version of claypool that like bryant, would stop safeties from cheating over to claypools side… and while Washington has#2 wr talent… we are loaded there

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Tomlin will find something he does not like in Washington and take him out after one play

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
They cant….and no one on the roster can help either after today’s **** show

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Martavis would also help open up tge Offense as another guy who can take the top off a d
In a stunning example of how inconsistent the league (read Roger Goodell) is, Martavus Bryant has not been released from his indefinite suspension. True, Josh Gordon just has to submit his name on a reinstatement form and the league trips over itself trying to get him back on the field, and AB, hell, he can serve his suspension in the OFF SEASON when he isn't even on a team...but Bryant... He's STILL suspended far as I know.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Lol. On a side note. I got my 2nd vaccination shot (******* vacation) on Sunday and the pharma tech who gave me the shot saw I was wearing my Steeler shirt. She asked how they were doing and I said, not too well today.

She said she was a Raiders fan and I said, "Oh, well you were happy last week." And she said ya. I replied "After all that stuff with Antonio Brown, the Raiders deserve some positive karma and honest to God she said, "Little **********".

For a moment, a Steeler fan and a Raider fan were in perfect harmony.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
In a stunning example of how inconsistent the league (read Roger Goodell) is, Martavus Bryant has not been released from his indefinite suspension. True, Josh Gordon just has to submit his name on a reinstatement form and the league trips over itself trying to get him back on the field, and AB, hell, he can serve his suspension in the OFF SEASON when he isn't even on a team...but Bryant... He's STILL suspended far as I know.
He applied about the same time Gordon did, but then again Gordon never wore the black n gold lol