• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

How's the Rooney Rule working out?

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
With all the changes in coaching, I haven't heard a peep about other teams interviewing black coaches except for Marvin Lewis. Is it being considered or is the Rooney Rule only for the Rooney's?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
An owner of a Billion + dollar franchise is going to hire whom ever they want regardless of color of rule. The Rooney rule needs to be modified or eliminated because as it is........................ It doesn't seem to be working.

I don't have the answer but I do know that if I was an owner,........ I'd turn all stones to find the best coach (s) / player(s) / etc. to accommodate my franchise.

Salute the nation

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
it's a stupid *** rule designed to make people feel good while accomplishing little, if anything.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I liked the idea of the rule that every color should have a fair chance at being a head coach. But the owners should be able to choose their coaching canidates. And let us be real, you are just wasting that minorities time if they have no intention of hiring him.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
I think the Rooney rule is useful and important and is working out as intended. In the sense that minority coaches are at least getting a chance to interview and vouch for jobs they'd otherwise be overlooked for. It helps force teams and owners to diversify the pool of applicants, and level the playing field in an otherwise overwhelmingly hegemonic profession. In the end, the fact minority applicants aren't getting hired is a moot point. Owners can hire whomever they want, based on merit and their own decision-making. The Rooney rule simply ensures the door remains open to all candidates, regardless of race. I see nothing wrong with it, not sure what the constant backlash is against it. Why does it hurt anyone's feelings that a couple of more interviews are held for each GM, head coach position? Why is it so outrageous minority coaches are allowed a seat at the interview table, where they've been generally shunned in the past?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the Rooney rule is useful and important and is working out as intended. In the sense that minority coaches are at least getting a chance to interview and vouch for jobs they'd otherwise be overlooked for. It helps force teams and owners to diversify the pool of applicants, and level the playing field in an otherwise overwhelmingly hegemonic profession. In the end, the fact minority applicants aren't getting hired is a moot point. Owners can hire whomever they want, based on merit and their own decision-making. The Rooney rule simply ensures the door remains open to all candidates, regardless of race. I see nothing wrong with it, not sure what the constant backlash is against it. Why does it hurt anyone's feelings that a couple of more interviews are held for each GM, head coach position? Why is it so outrageous minority coaches are allowed a seat at the interview table, where they've been generally shunned in the past?
Is there backlash against it? Not sure any fan outside of a racist is against it, I think it is just questioning the effectiveness of it in general. That or they feel the owners should be able to pick the best man for the job without bringing race into the equation.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there backlash against it? Not sure any fan outside of a racist is against it, I think it is just questioning the effectiveness of it in general. That or they feel the owners should be able to pick the best man for the job without bringing race into the equation.

It seems to comes up a lot on this board, as if some Steelers fans resent it and aren't happy the rule is associated with the Rooneys and the Steelers. Maybe not, I dunno. Mostly it's the anti-Tomlin crew who seem to harp on it, even 13 years after he was hired.

Last edited:

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Anti-Tomlin guy here. Don't like him because of his decisions and his lack of creativity. Don't care about his skin color.

If I were a black man, I would find it insulting. I would want the interview because of my expertise and experience, not my color - as if I needed a little boost up.

That being said, I genuinely don't care if the rule stays or goes. Just wait until it's expanded to include every other labeled groups - gays, trans, moslems, etc. Then the mud will be so thick that the candidate wanted by the owner will not even be allowed to interview. That's where I see it going.

steelermania

Reaction score
It seems to comes up a lot on this board, as if some Steelers fans resent it and aren't happy the rule is associated with the Rooneys and the Steelers. Maybe not, I dunno. Mostly it's the anti-Tomlin crew who seem to harp on it, even 13 years after he was hired.

Especially since the Rooneys satisfied the rule by interviewing Ron Riviera. Anyone who has heard Tomlin over the last 13 years should be able to understand how he probably knocked their socks off in his interview. Wiz might have eventually been hired, but Arizona gave him a take it now or else offer, while the Steelers weren't going to be rushed into making a decision. Even Tomlin haters have to admit that while he may not have won quite as much as they'd like, he's been far from a flop. Compare him to Payton in New Orleans. I think most here would consider Payton to be a very good coach. Tomlin's done slightly better, and the "he has Ben" excuse doesn't wash here, as Payton has Brees, who pretty much everyone outside of Pittsburgh considers a bit better than Ben. If you want a more extreme example, look at the Chargers, who have wasted Phillip Rivers. It's hard to win in this league. Sometimes you need a little luck too. Brady and Hoodie would still be stuck on 3 Super Bowls if not for the stupidity of Pete Carroll, Dan Quinn, and Dee Ford.

Stewey

Reaction score
Unless I'm wrong, the Rooney rule isn't supposed to be Affirmative Action. There are no quotas set for how many black coaches there should be. No discriminating against better qualified people just to meet a quota.

It's only meant to give blacks equal opportunity to become head coaches. If a team deems the black guy not qualified, too bad for the black guy.

Last edited:

steelermania

Reaction score
Anti-Tomlin guy here. Don't like him because of his decisions and his lack of creativity. Don't care about his skin color.

If I were a black man, I would find it insulting. I would want the interview because of my expertise and experience, not my color - as if I needed a little boost up.

That being said, I genuinely don't care if the rule stays or goes. Just wait until it's expanded to include every other labeled groups - gays, trans, moslems, etc. Then the mud will be so thick that the candidate wanted by the owner will not even be allowed to interview. That's where I see it going.

Between Fritz Pollard, and Art Shell, there wasn't a single black coach hired. In a league where Rich Kotite was getting multiple jobs, you mean to tell me there wasn't a single black man worthy of a head coaching job? People tend to be comfortable with what's familiar. If you're hiring, it's easy to hire someone who is like you. The rule was meant to make owners think outside the box, and also just to get some names out there. Team A is impressed with a young black coach during his interview. They hire a big name guy, but in casual conversations with other owners, they mention this guy, and how good his interview was. He's now on the list of "guys to watch" where before he might have been ignored. Interviewing Marvin Lewis defeats this purpose. (There are certainly worse coaches in the league than Lewis though, who was able to win with a team owned by Mike Brown, the worst owner in sports, even over Nutting). Teams want to hire the best guy, but results tell you that many owners have a hard time figuring out who the best guy is.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree that owners are stuck in ruts when it comes to hiring. You even hear it here when the topic of firing Tomlin comes up.

Based on the Steelers success rate alone, I (as the owner of a mythical NFL team) would never hire a known name. Our big three have been peripheral guys, and there are a lot of them around, with many varieties of skin pigmentation.

The Rooney Rule won't cure lousy thinking, IMO. But again, I don't care if it stays or goes.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
With all the changes in coaching, I haven't heard a peep about other teams interviewing black coaches except for Marvin Lewis. Is it being considered or is the Rooney Rule only for the Rooney's?

The Rooney rule is as useless as Pelosi’s “War Power” rule. They are for show to pacify the retards. It’s about as ludicrous of a rule if the NFL started limiting black players because they only make up 12% of the population. Owners want the best players and owners want the best coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I dont believe it works. And I'm sure being an HC is something many coaches aspire to. The bigger issue is do you have a good Cross section of society in your building. In a league were the players are predominantly African American they should be represented on the coaching staffs. Then the cream rises. Everyone wants to win and I doubt race comes up much there. Saying you have to interview someone is tokenism at its worst. And yeah I don't like it's called the Rooney Rule. Can we make up a no rub and tug human traffic and call it the Kraft Rule.l

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
The Rooney rule is as useless as Pelosi’s “War Power” rule. They are for show to pacify the retards. It’s about as ludicrous of a rule if the NFL started limiting black players because they only make up 12% of the population. Owners want the best players and owners want the best coaches.

You talk like there is some quota. If the rule gets ONE minority a shot at a position that they would not have had an opportunity in the past it is a win for the rule. As someone stated above. Years ago Kotite was getting chance after chance as a HC. Dude was just a horrible HC.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Regardless of some rule created to make people feel better about the NFL’s fairness in hiring policy, at the end of the day the owner will hire who THEY choose and not some rule.
The rule mandates that a minority candidate be interviewed but does not state that he must be hired. No rule is going to tell these billionaires who they should hire but only that they stay within the hiring guidelines, they will certainly interview a minority. The rule imo is a slap in the face to all minorities.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
You talk like there is some quota. If the rule gets ONE minority a shot at a position that they would not have had an opportunity in the past it is a win for the rule. As someone stated above. Years ago Kotite was getting chance after chance as a HC. Dude was just a horrible HC.

If they were interested in a coach enough to actually hire him based upon his interview, they are probably interviewing him anyhow. The idea that these race based owners actually talk to a minority candidate and overcome their racist attitudes and hire him is far fetched. The answer to under representation is always grass roots. More position coaches, more coordinators because there are more position coaches. Coordinator has success and gets HC opportunities. Who is always the hot name candidate? The guy who gets a defense or offense on a deep run or puts up big numbers. Teams just want to win.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
All you guys talking about "interviews should go to the best candidates regardless of race" etc etc. are missing the point. Everybody believes that; Dan Rooney and anyone else who supports the Rooney Rule thinks the best coach should be hired for every position as well. The problem the rule is acknowledging is that people have certain preconditioned biases when choosing who they think are the best candidates to interview, which may leave some folks who actually are qualified or could be the best candidate left out. So it forces people to confront their biases, and bring people in who may actually be the best candidate, who would have been overlooked before.

Of course, that's the spirit of the rule. Not just some simple-minded "affirmative action, get more minority coaches" or whatever. Whether or not it's actually working is another question altogether, but let's make sure we're not missing the point first before deciding whether or not it's working.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
All you guys talking about "interviews should go to the best candidates regardless of race" etc etc. are missing the point. Everybody believes that; Dan Rooney and anyone else who supports the Rooney Rule thinks the best coach should be hired for every position as well. The problem the rule is acknowledging is that people have certain preconditioned biases when choosing who they think are the best candidates to interview, which may leave some folks who actually are qualified or could be the best candidate left out. So it forces people to confront their biases, and bring people in who may actually be the best candidate, who would have been overlooked before.

Of course, that's the spirit of the rule. Not just some simple-minded "affirmative action, get more minority coaches" or whatever. Whether or not it's actually working is another question altogether, but let's make sure we're not missing the point first before deciding whether or not it's working.

No real problem with what you said here, but I am not convinced that it's a color of skin issue, but a lack of creativity in hiring issue. No one wants to face the wrath of hiring a super lousy candidate, so the same old names are hashed out over and over. If that doesn't work out they can just say "But he had a good resume, and you know his name" and nothing goes wrong. But, hire an unknown and it goes south, the "What the heck was he thinking in that hire?!?!?!" question comes out. That's what needs to be fixed. To make it a color issue is superficial, IMO.

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with the Rooney Rule is that it is trying to address diversity from the top down when the only effective way to address it is from the bottom up.